It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what happened to the old fashined 50s way of life?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

Thank you - thank you - - - you get it - - or you actually lived it as I did.

And I also love the cheesy early Sci-Fi.

A lot of it really was naive. As they say - - the best thing about the good old days is "selective memory".

The government really owned ya. You had no right to your own medical records - school records - police had full authority - schools had full authority. Banks were open from something like 10 to 3 (no ATMs). We had a grocery store that closed at 4. The disabled were pretty much kept behind closed doors. No disability act.

It just wasn't real.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
There seems to be a general lack of childhood innocence or respect for other people these days. We could use a return to more of the 50's-style concepts concerning both, I think.
On the other hand, marriage today is more open to being what the respective partners together choose to make of it. That there are more personal options for both men and women means that people need to make more careful and informed decisions about what they both want together. There will always be some who are more committed to this institution than others, there always have been, but with all these choices people nowadays are more free to have personal relationships that are even more fulfulling than those strictly dictated by tradition alone. And I see that as a good thing overall.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
What happened to life from the 50's?

Easy, social movements got co-opted by big business.

First they used social movements to double their labour force, essentially cheapening labour value.

Then they sold everybody on 'materialism'.

Now you need to have two incomes to sustain a 'reasonable life'.

I have put marks around 'reasonable' because we could live just as well if we stopped comparing how we live to others. Do you really need a big screen, xbox, cellphone, etc...just because everyone else has them?

Long story short, we could have just as easily transitioned to a world with equality that kept one person in the family working and one at home, but big business flashed us some pretty trinkets and bs social structures and we fell for it.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by QueSeraSera
There seems to be a general lack of childhood innocence or respect for other people these days. We could use a return to more of the 50's-style concepts concerning both, I think.

Yes - - the naive innocents was really enjoyable. Many kids - many neighborhoods (like mine) - - I went out to play in the morning and came home at dark. Where ever you were - whoever you were with - - - that kids mom was your mom. If you were there at lunch time they fed you. If you misbehaved they had no hesitation spanking you (can you imagine that today).

One of the big problems today is the "single family home". Back then you probably had grandparents an aunt or some other family member in the home - - or next door. There was no such thing as "your own space" - - that was something you really had to fight for. Living in extended family - - you have to learn respect for all the various ages - personalities - quirks - etc.

Everyone doing there own thing - - is both good and bad - - - we're still learning the best way for that to work out. I'd say isolation isn't the answer.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

What women actually wanted was Equal Rights and Choice.

Not there yet -- but getting there.

What men want - has nothing to do with it.

Wow...what men want has nothing to do with it....doesn't sound very equal to me.

Are you sure you just want "equal"????

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
The truth is, the good ole' days weren't really all that good.

~Heff

This sentence basically covers it. Society evolved and us with it.

Much suffering in human life results from a fruitless attempt to retain a note that has already ceased to sound, or to anticipate a note that has not yet sounded.
- Rodney Collin

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Duck an cover, if your red you need to be dead, we like Ike, at the end or near the end Leave it to Beaver, Johnny be good, '56 belair 55 nomad with ss doors. yes even i remember , but get this i was not born till 65.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MindSpin
reply to post by Annee

What women actually wanted was Equal Rights and Choice.

Not there yet -- but getting there.

What men want - has nothing to do with it.

Wow...what men want has nothing to do with it....doesn't sound very equal to me.

Are you sure you just want "equal"????

Don't be surprised. Feminism used to be about equality between men and women but by the 90s', with militant feminism and the like, equality went out the window. Annee has no idea what she is talking about. Women have more power and equality in the U.S. than anywhere in the world. You have women who are breadwinners in the house, majority of college students are females, the court system works in their favor in terms of divorce even if the guy did nothing wrong, many female actors are millionaires before they turn 25 - the list goes on and on.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
That "50's way of life" was a delusional lie contrived and instituted by government oppression.
While today isn't exactly a blissful society, I'll take it any day over that dystopian nightmare.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I couldn't help but smile while reading this post. I agree. Gone are the days of simplicity, respect and honor among spouses. Those of us that still hold on to these virtues are a disappearing breed. My husband and I have been together for 22 years. We managed to raise our three children successfully. They graduated high school, didn't become teenage parents, didn't have brushes with the law, each are employed and two plan on seeking higher education. And, no, we are not a religious family, nor are we even scratching the bottom of the "middle-class" category. Sure we've had our share of "ups and downs". But, we stuck it out and made it work. Unfourtunately, I am part of that category of " working mothers", (husband is disabled) but we have a tight-knit family.
Everywhere I look, there are no other families that are as fourtunate as ours. We are actually considered strage in comparison to everyone else.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

Oh yeah, the "we've got the bomb" mentality. Wouldn't go back if you paid me. Sexual and physical abuse was the norm, "Father Knows Best"? Don't think so.

Barbed wire playgrounds and innoculation on a sugar cube. Please!
edit on 19-2-2011 by windword because: spelling

edit on 19-2-2011 by windword because: puntcuation

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
There were sorry a$$ men in the 50's and there were sorry A$$ women in the 50's..There are sorrier Ass Women in 2000 and there are sorrier A$$ men in 2000. They just became sorrier, thats all...

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
The 50s were "swell".... drive-in's (movies and fast food); didnt have to lock your door; kids played outside not addicted to computer video games; drug problems were rare (except for alcohol); the cars were cool and the girls were hot. Oh and everything was so much cheaper!

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen
The 50s were "swell".... drive-in's (movies and fast food); didnt have to lock your door; kids played outside not addicted to computer video games; drug problems were rare (except for alcohol); the cars were cool and the girls were hot. Oh and everything was so much cheaper!

Boy do I miss the Drive-Ins! Yeah, we're a much softer, weaker society now
with political correctness crammed down our throats.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

....stuff....

It had ALOT of problems. Couples that hated eachother sayed together, even if one was gay. Racism was accepted. Child abuse/ molestation was swept under the carpet. Religion was more damning. Woman and other ethnicity's were considered inferior. Etc...

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MindSpin

the poor women worked in the 50's....
some worked maybe because they wanted to alot worked because they had to.....

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
reply to post by MindSpin

the poor women worked in the 50's....
some worked maybe because they wanted to alot worked because they had to.....

Who is Rosie the Riveter?

Rosie the Riveter is a cultural icon of the United States, representing the American women who worked in factories during World War II,[1][2] many of whom worked in the manufacturing plants that produced munitions and war supplies. These women sometimes took entirely new jobs replacing the male workers who were in the military.[3] The character is considered a feminist icon in the US.

Rosie the Riveter

It was essentially government fashioned social propaganda to get women to work the factories so all the men could be conscripted.

After the war was over however, this backfired.

Although real-life Rosie the Riveters took on male dominated trades during WWII, women were expected to return to their everyday housework once men returned from the war. Government campaigns targeting women were addressed solely at housewives, perhaps because already employed women would move to the higher-paid "essential" jobs on their own.[6] Propaganda was also directed at their husbands, many of whom were unwilling to support such jobs.[7] Most women opted to do this. Later many women returned to traditional work such as clerical or administration positions. However, some of these women continued working in the factories.

They tried to run counter propaganda to switch things up but it only had limited effects, what was done was done.

According to the Encyclopedia of American Economic History, "Rosie the Riveter" inspired a social movement that increased the number of working American women to 20 million by 1944, a 57% increase from 1940.

Also, I would recommend checking out some of the reports and theories about how the government used social issues like feminism to their favor in their ambition for power over all of us. I don't know, try something like ' cia feminism' in Google. Things like that.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

I'm one of those guys who made sure I could provide for my family and wife, at least so we weren't cold and starving. I liked my wife to remain home. She liked it, too. No, it wasn't a control sort of thing on my part nor a laziness thing on her part. There's nothing lazy about providing a safe environment and love and nurturing to one's children for sure! We had children. We believed children should be raised by parents, not the state nor strangers in a day care. So we went without many luxuries for this. Now the children are long gone and they have their own kids. My wife works, now. Because she wants to. And I am in a position that I no longer have to work outside our home. So it's all cool. And those days when little grandchildren must be looked after, because of divorce, I am here to do the raising and caring and my daughters are quite happy to have me, the guy who raised them, raise their children if need be. They know I will be fair, and I will guide them properly, just like mom did years ago.

But, yeah, what is it with these cheating men who run from their responsibilities? Who the hell raised them to be that way is what I wanna know! I have zero respect for them and their parents!

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

i wish knew, maybe its the cause of all of the single parents who raised crappy sons

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
uh..gee wally i dont know..bein a kid and all.

sec line

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join