It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ark. cities feel unexplained surge in earthquakes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Ark. cities feel unexplained surge in earthquakes

news.yahoo.com

By SARAH EDDINGTON, Associated Press Sarah Eddington, Associated Press – 50 mins ago
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. – Jim Sutterfield was briefly puzzled by a thumping sound that seemed to slam the back of his office chair. But when the small-town Arkansas fire chief turned and saw no one was around, he quickly realized it was just an earthquake — again.

"That was only my second time to feel one, but others here have felt them for three or four months now,"
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Oh boy, now this is interesting. Some of you may know that I am not one of those "Chicken Littles" that runs around squaking the end is near when something strange is happening, but this did make me more alert to the going ons beneath our feet.

I am aware that there is a thread talking about the earthquakes in the Ark. region, but since this is a new news story, I thought it maybe more appropriate to put here.

Anybody from that region can confirm feeling these? I am a Chicagoan so I dont get to feel many quakes (though I have before).

What do you think can be causing this? Fracking? Drilling? Subtle shifts in the fault lines? A NEW hidden fault line we were not aware of? I sure do hope this is nothing serious, and just a period of restlessness that will subside without any catastrophic quakes. Maybe its a good thing the small tremblors are happening now since they may release the pressure in small doses. Fingers crossed folks. I hope we dont have an apocalyptic event in the midwest. Hell I dont want my house to shake apart in Chi-town!

news.yahoo.com

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
In researching this topic I find a lot of different magnitude numbers depending on where I look, but the USGS report always has the lowest numbers.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Here is a map of the region and it seems they are located in a very small section.

Here is the list:
earthquake.usgs.gov...

What could be causing so many quakes in such a localized area?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by GenRadek

I live about 30mi west of that area, been keepin an eye on this stuff. I emailed one of our local news stations out of Little Rock this morning (still waiting to hear back) about what's being done to inform/prepare people here for future, potentially stronger, quakes. I was born & raised in southern California, so this sorta thing is old hat for me.

But Arkansas isn't built for this kinda thing, our roads/infrastructure can barely handle a good snow...an earthquake of a magnitude any higher than 5 would more than likely cripple the bigger cities with buildings taller than 3-4 stories. Luckily, most of the state is fairly rural and spread out. Even where I live (pop. 20,000) it's still fairly sprawled and low to the ground...meaning we maybe have 4-5 buildings that reach 3 stories. I'll update when I hear back from the newsdesk

edit on 17-2-2011 by starsyren because: spelling correction

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Im not all that far from there and did not feel anything.. The quakes were between 1.5-3.0 give or take. New Madrids fault line which runs through the eastern part of the state is not completely mapped. Scientists recently discovered some off shoots of the fault line that run from the northeast back towards little rock area.

I will look for the article, but I thought another minor fault line was discovered near the mo - ar border as well, but dont quote me on that.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I read this earlier today. If this is being caused by drilling or whatever they're calling it, why on earth are they continuing in doing so?? It's obviously not cool if it's causing earthquakes for crying out loud. Oh I almost forgot, a profit it being made somewhere, how stupid of me.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by starsyren

Thanks for the heads up and I hope you are safe down there. Please do let us know whats going on, and I'll try to update as well, when I find something of interest, or urgency!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I wish we had a more extensive map showing the entire fault line. I have to run an errand and when I return I will see what I can find in a more detailed map. The quakes are getting more numerous and increasing in intensity. My family lives near the Madrid in Ky and I am in N. Indiana. I am hoping this is just releasing pressure and nothing more but I don't have a good feeling about it.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by GenRadek

S & F

I live in Memphis TN and while I don't feel the tremors today, I am feeling a little 'seasick' and had a brief dizziness...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by GenRadek

-snippety-

What do you think can be causing this? Fracking? Drilling? Subtle shifts in the fault lines? A NEW hidden fault line we were not aware of? I sure do hope this is nothing serious, and just a period of restlessness that will subside without any catastrophic quakes. Maybe its a good thing the small tremblors are happening now since they may release the pressure in small doses. Fingers crossed folks. I hope we dont have an apocalyptic event in the midwest. Hell I dont want my house to shake apart in Chi-town!

news.yahoo.com

From an article just posted in that other thread:

When the team analyzed the locations of the quakes and the energy each released, they found that the data indicated that the earthquakes were not migrating randomly. Instead, the faults seem to be mechanically coupled to each other, so that when one fault segment is ruptured, the energy is passed along to another fault segment, stressing it until it ruptures.

Source

The article basically says that these mid-continental faults need an entirely new paradigm that is distinct from plate boundary dynamics.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I used to live in the Little Rock area, and I noticed from the map the the cluster of quakes is just north of Conway, AR.

This may have nothing to do with the quakes, but I do remember that a Titan ICBM silo was located in the same area. Not supposed to be any missiles there any more, but could the government be doing something else with the silo?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
When did all these minor quakes start? Was it after the oil spill in the gulf?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

I have heard that during the great New Madrid quakes of 1811-1812 people felt similar afflictions from all the movement of the ground. Maybe you are also feeling something akin to motion sickness, subconciously? Feel better and good luck!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

You are absolutely right. These are far more complex structures, and they have a different way of working than the usual San Andreas. And still, many people dont hink about earthquakes in the Midwest, even though its been home to the largest quakes of the continous 48 states! Hoping its nothing serious, and its just a sqarm that will die out, like other instances. Keep alert!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by HoldTheBeans

I'm not sure really, you woul dhave to check on the USGS sites!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/12812381f30d.jpg[/atsimg]

This map might help in getting a perspective on the location and the Arkansas quakes. Not all that far from the Madrid.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
From the local paper in Conway, Arkansas. The Cabin.

Geologist Warns Arkansans to be Prepared

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

quote "Not all that far from the Madrid. " not that far?? that ridge u see thats just the scab from the last time,, id say it was right on course,,

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
According to the USGS sesmic page, there is like one every hour. Its pretty interesting!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join