It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 32
<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Just found this in new posts thought everyone here should read it and there are links too. Kinda scary. www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 2/18/2011 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
reply to post by EvolEric

I just hesitate to say more than I should, because I do not want to add more stress. I wish Puterman were on right now so we could pick his brain too.

When I say migrating, I mean moving. If I were looking at a volcano, I would say magma or lava. So far as I know, there is no indication there is a volcano there. The fact that there are hot springs just gives creadance that this is a geothermal system which means there are more possibilities as to what this all means. (in my opinion anyways)

Again, I want to stress that I am not a geologist in any way...just a quake watcher. I have looked at enough seismos to at least know this is looking wierder and wierder. I say wait for someone with more knowledge to chime in.

Using common sense, should any sane person frack near an area with geothermal activity? Especially near Yellowstone? Tsk tsk... Those gas companies will be at the bank counting their money. And don't give a rats arse what happens to anyone else. Just like a psychopathic serial killer. You think a gas company can't be ran by a greedy psychopath? They are all around us. All while the rich politicians are lining their wallets with "bribes" (aka election contributions). If you think about it, the companies could possibly be the equivlent of modern day hitlers. But not as obvious. Innocent until proven guilty..... But proven by who?

If you use your land in a way that detriments others, it is illegal. So what excludes these gas companies? They are running this fracking business like a wild west free for all. They should have been required to prove it was safe BEFORE they even started. Since it can impact a large number of people.

The citizens of the US are the ones that need to organize and stand up against this on a grand scale. Since our government has failed us miserably. All fracking must be stopped in this entire country until it is proven safe. Is this too much to ask?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Theres about as much common sense used while fracking in geothermal areas as a man or a woman filling their vehicle with gas while smoking a ciggarette.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
this coincided with an M class solar flare. Prepare for the X class

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
GOOD ONE. That one knocked stuff off my dresser.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
CRAP guys....a 4.0+ rolling through right now!

I'm going to guess maybe a 4.5.....we'll see shortly. It is north this time...still going! (pic to come)
edit on 18-2-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

auto generated: (it will be upgraded...for sure)

Magnitude 3.2 - ARKANSAS
2011 February 18 08:13:52 UTC
DetailsMapsEarthquake Details
This is a computer-generated message -- this event has not yet been reviewed by a seismologist.
Magnitude 3.2
Date-Time Friday, February 18, 2011 at 08:13:52 UTC
Friday, February 18, 2011 at 02:13:52 AM at epicenter

Location 35.700°N, 90.149°W
Depth 21.1 km (13.1 miles)
Region ARKANSAS
Distances 6 km (3 miles) WNW (301°) from Keiser, AR
7 km (4 miles) ESE (106°) from Etowah, AR
10 km (6 miles) SW (233°) from Victoria, AR
67 km (42 miles) NNW (346°) from Memphis, TN
326 km (202 miles) S (179°) from St. Louis, MO

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 2.9 km (1.8 miles); depth +/- 8.7 km (5.4 miles)
Parameters NST= 11, Nph= 11, Dmin=1.7 km, Rmss=0.44 sec, Gp=151°,
M-type=duration magnitude (Md), Version=A
Source Cooperative New Madrid Seismic Network

Event ID nm1182

Edit to add pic:

Note the numbers to the left...double the last. This will be upgraded.

Also to add: this lasted for 2 minutes!

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   

CRAP guys....a 4.0+ rolling through right now!

I'm going to guess maybe a 4.5.....we'll see shortly. It is north this time...still going! (pic to come)

OMG for real, take a look
Huge EQ

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Guys get outta there for real....

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I don't typically freak out about earthquake threads, but this spat of quakes over the last several days is making me freak out.

The magnitudes keep increasing daily....so, for sure a 5.0+ is on the way today....right??

St helens had a big one not too long ago as well....

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
WHO.. now that's a big one right there....Jee maybe it's time for those people close by to start thinking of ..you know..

Peace

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
MSM obviously could not ignore this one....due to the fact ALOT of folks are talking about it.

Here is link:
news.yahoo.com...

snippet:
Ark. cities feel unexplained surge in earthquakes

Ausbrooks said geologists are still trying to discover the exact cause of the recent seismic activity but have identified two possibilities.

"It could just be a naturally occurring swarm like the Enola swarm, or it could be related to ongoing natural gas exploration in the area," he said.

A major source of natural gas in Arkansas is the Fayetteville Shale, an organically-rich rock formation in north-central Arkansas. Drillers free up the gas by using hydraulic fracturing or "fracking" — injecting pressurized water to create fractures deep in the ground.

another snippet:
"We have a disposal well here just outside of the city," Martini said. "People are suspecting that to be causing it, even though there isn't any proof of that."

Martini said the earthquakes started increasing in frequency over the past week and that the disposal well has seen an increase in use recently.

Also, it has been known that while folks are made to look or pay alot of attention to one area, there could be something else going on elsewhere while we are all distracted with the current action.

PS I send you all prayers in those areas right now getting those shakers. And yes, it can mess around with your balance, make you dizzy, etc. I hope this eases up on you all.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Is their a arkansas seismograph you can watch in realtime? Instead of screenshot updates?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
You guys, it is STILL rumbling...amazing.

The best real-time is GEE. Do a quick search for GEE earthquake software. YOu load it up for free...click on the seismo stations on a map!

Otherwise,this one is near realtime:IRIS

It has rumbled for ten minutes, with another smaller quake thrown in at the end.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Westcoast, I know you guys (being, yourself, Puterman, Robin, Anmarie, & Berkleygal) Hate to predict, but where do you think these swarms will end? do you think we will see any above mag 5? from my armchair over in Aus, it just looks like it's continually intensifying, So i'm wondering at what point, it'll stop - do you think they are foreshocks to a much bigger one, especially now they are getting larger? Or just a swarm of medium ones & it'll stay at that?

Thanks to all for the continuous updates, this thread is fascinating! Thanks for creating it Robin, you are a very integral part of the fragile earth forum
you're posts are always up front and honest, very appreciative of that.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
nothing on USGS yet. That one scared the heck out of me. Trying to get some sleep and BOOM! I may not get any sleep tonight afterall.

link   

You guys, it is STILL rumbling...amazing.

The best real-time is GEE. Do a quick search for GEE earthquake software. YOu load it up for free...click on the seismo stations on a map!

Otherwise,this one is near realtime:IRIS

You are amazing west coast.....props for all your work! Proud to be in the same state as you are....

link   
Just updated on my Iphone 'Quake Zone' It is a 3.2.
Epicenter, Keiser, AR

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by St-Patrick

Keiser, AR - VERY, VERY close to Memphis. O. M. G.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

Good questions! While I don't consider myself the same caliber as knowledge as our other friends you mentioned.....I will say that it is doing exactly I had hoped it wouldn't do.

I have been more nervous as the constant 'noise' increased...and now this quake. It will be at 4.5 I bet (they will upgrade it)

I am afraid this is going to get worse. I personally would be taking a vacation if I lived anywhere nearby. Seriously.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by KathyG427

That's the same thing I came here to say. I remembered reading this post yesterday and today I just noticed the new earthquake.

top topics

<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join