It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Crisis! PRICES SKYROCKET - OVERNIGHT! Mexico and Southwest lose 80-100% of crops! *MSM VIDEO*

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by MindSpin
I'm getting a little tired of Mr Dutchsinse and his alarmist videos.

He is consistently wrong and misinformed about topics...and just likes to cause, or try to cause, panic.

I'd be more pissed at Channel 8 News, Dutchsinse is on the same mission as us my friend. There's a fine line between panic and awareness IMO.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I'm not really worried. If i run out of food I'll just go to the FEMA camp and get some taco bell.

on a serious note, not even close to everyone has the resources to stock up on food. the majority of america makes it paycheck to paycheck. so for them buying at the current market price is what they HAVE to do. it definitely puts a stick in the eye of someone that already can't afford to buy gas.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by discl0sur3

Agreed...however, buying bulk rice, beans etc while prices are still reasonable should have no discernible effect on the price of asparagus. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

Here is a link to the Rice charts.
Rice this month
Rice 5 years

On both the month chart and the 5yr chart, we can see Rice values have decreased near the end of the scale. This is certainly the time to buy in my opinion.

Rice will undoubtedly go back up in price. Grain markets are being strained because of the large crop losses throughout Asia and Russia last summer due to the heat waves and flooding.

Futures markets (a form of derivative contracting) indicate that prices will go up as well, as those are just contracts to agree to purchase X amount of product on Y future date.

Look at the nightmare unfolding in Wheat Markets
As we can see, the wheat scare has caused prices to skyrocket since last summer.

Looking through these commodities websites can be fun. Oranges are looking cheap, and it may not last either.

Of course, the commodities values are only a general indicator of the market conditions, and pricing will always be different on each item depending on geography or other conditions.
I am not a financial expert or anything, but am just repeating what information is available and discussing it.

So yes Rice is a good buy right now, based on what all these indicators are pointing to. Also they point to future rises in price of several % points this summer.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Funny this thread pops up now...

I work at a local supermarket, and I read the sum-up of a phone conference of the local supermarket chain. On the front page, in bold, was a note that there is a global shortage in produce.

Bad news... but in all honesty, there is more than enough food to go around. The system that distributes the food to the world is totally corrupt, and countries like the US end up wasting enough food in one day to feed the entire world for weeks.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
I tried to talk about this a while back. Food shortages and increased pricing.

I live in SW Arizona. The #1 area for winter vegetables and other stuff.

All I got was nasty responses. I guess its OK to talk about it now.

I can relate to your frustration. The hard fact is that the vast majority will not accept the facts until they are corroborated by the MSM. So much for "Deny Ignorance"

Thank You.

I tried to explain a whole season of Lemon Buds were lost because of unexpected frost. Now these lemons are actually sold to Russia - - who drink lemonade - - like we drink orange juice - - but it still affects the economy.

The area also grows Sudan Grass - - which is sold overseas to feed cattle - - like we use Alfalfa hay. Plus melons - onions - cotton - very big on lettuce.

The weather and the fight against migrant workers - - - is creating a serious problem. People who don't know - - want to close the borders. But they don't understand crops in San Diego were lost to the amount of millions of dollars because crops rotted in the fields - - - due to lack of workers.

Its so ridiculous.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Bolivia to stockpile food to avoid crisis

Bolivia will tap central-bank reserves to boost agricultural production and stockpile food, joining countries from Africa to Asia in a bid to avoid a looming global "crisis," Finance Minister Luis Arce said.

Rising food prices pushed tens of millions of people into extreme poverty last year and are reaching "dangerous levels" in some countries, World Bank President Robert Zoellick said Tuesday as he released new data showing that the cost of grain and other staples is now near a historic high.

The costs of some key commodities such as wheat have doubled in the past year, and a World Bank index of overall food costs rose 15 percent from October through January.

The bank's food price index, which covers the costs of grain, sugar, food oils and other staples, is now just 3 percent below its historic high in 2008 — a level that touched off food riots in several countries. The U.S. State Department estimates there were more than 60 food riots worldwide from 2007 to 2009, when food costs hit record highs.

At least Bolivia is taking action to avoid, or at least survive a looming crisis.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by MindSpin
I'm getting a little tired of Mr Dutchsinse and his alarmist videos.

He is consistently wrong and misinformed about topics...and just likes to cause, or try to cause, panic.

I'd be more pissed at Channel 8 News, Dutchsinse is on the same mission as us my friend. There's a fine line between panic and awareness IMO.

Yes, but in the past month dutchsinse has "predicted" a major quake on the new madrid fault, that yellowstone was going to blow, that the pole shift was iminent, and that solar flares are going to take us out. And now that roma tomatos and asparagas might cost more or be hard to get...apparently that is worthy of a "emergency" video by dutchsinse.

He is a little bit of an alarmist...and I'm tired of his videos. You know like when the tornado sirens are tested every month...and everytime a small thunderstorm rolls in...you just kind of stop taking them serious and ignore them. Which is what I will now do with dutchsinse. He is quickly becoming the boy who cried wolf.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Oohhh you are outta the loop, we are now calling it "Climate Change"
(sorry I couldn't help myself)

I do roughly 95% of the household shopping, and I have noticed prices going up and up and up. Just this week my local grocery store started posting "due to the bad weather blah blah blah, higher prices blah blah blah" papers all over the produce section. And now the MSM has started up with stories about how other goods are going up in price. The talk about oil has been bouncing around for quite a while as well. Talk about the price of chocolate has also been floating out there, and sugar has been mentioned for over a year. I have yet (in my mind) to find a solid reason as to why the chocolate and oil and sugar *should* be rising. The only reason that make sense to me is, we like oil, we love chocolate and we are addicted to sugar.

Now, regarding produce, I have seen this before, and yes there is a jump in price, but that usually goes back down within a few weeks. But now you have other industries 'adjusting' their prices, really seems like they are jumping on the "Everything is going up, why not us" bandwagon.

Areas have been hit with bad weather and other assorted natural disasters, so some prices naturally do go up, but now with the MSN publishing stories about how your favorite jeans will now be 4.00 more, tee shirts, now 2.00 more. Common sence tells me, that just last week, I could have scored those on clearance, and now there is a shortage?!

And throw in the stories popping up about how beef and poultry and pork will be rising. Uuugh!

Now I am rambling about this, but in all honesty, I do not have a good feeling about this.

anywho.. this is whats making me stop and go 'hhhmmm' right now. Something just feels very off to me about this.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I been suspecting a massive increase in food prices by mid March and that is what I have been planning for. The freeze through out the South never even crossed my mind

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
opps sorry
double post.
edit on 16-2-2011 by Justaposter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
What if we go and buy up a whole bunch of things and store them all in our pantries, basements and garages, won't this affect the third world countries even more by creating an even greater shortage. We aren't the ones that will suffer, oh sure we may have to go without some of the luxuries we've been accustomed to. We have enough food to probably feed the whole world, and we have become a nation of overweight, unhealty consumers. The ones who will be affected most are the ones who are already hungry. Look up the statistics and see how many people starve each and every day. imo this is fearmongering at its best and it only affects those that have been starving for years. I bet the food shortage isn't news to them.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
The greater part of what consumers will be paying is due to commodities speculators who are squeezing the market to make an extra $.
By spreading panic through the media they help prices stay high.
Nobody paid attention 3 years ago when the 2 commodities houses merged.
This is the result.
Don't blame the weather.
This is another Wall street shakedown,.

Grocery prices have been rising steadily for the last 2 years, far ahead of inflation.
No explanation for why has been offered and the media pretends it hasn;t been happening.
edit on 16-2-2011 by Asktheanimals because: added comments

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
It's called 'winter'. So they planted summer crops and they failed. Who knew that it would be cold in winter what a shock.

They should have focused on the heavier heartier winter crops carrots, parsnips, cabbage, kale, etc. I'll wager those those items are on the produce racks.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by discl0sur3

Well this was coming our way, the thing is that is not only food what will be skyrocketing Oil prices are in the raise, clothing and other necessities linked to energy.

But US is still considered one of the most ridden by consumerism country in the world.

No wonder even with the unemployment still been at record highs the hype by the government on the economy recovery keeps growing so the price hikes can look normal.

But is not, let see if the American people will hit the street in protest like many developing countries are doing to stop this madness.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

OK got the vvvido to work now, so makes me feel MMUCH better about my organic farm here in the mid west!

I am or was getting SO sick of having my entire house filled with all the listed products in the video growing under lights taking up every available space.

Here's my delema: I have talked to the local Farmers markets and would like to sell there however they have certain prices which are created and decided upon by the older members, the newbys have to follow. In the past I did not choose to sell there because I had a thousand tomato plants and did not want to sell the tomatoes for 2.98 a pound!

I actually went instead to another place more like a flea market and sold there with less people interested in buying grow their own vegetables.

So what I am saying is that with the trend of buying local, from local growers, you are going to pay the price and even then are not guaranteed to eat NON GMO non hybridized veggies and fruits! Many of the more settled growers use chemicals to ensure their crops success. They will also use seed which cannot be saved and therefore guarantee return business.

I pay more for my seeds, and use no chemicals. It is so much more labor intensive, but I feel good about what I sell and gift to my friends and family during the season. I am already getting orders now for not only my veggies, but also for my jams which I make for family at Christmas. But that is not enough to sustain me, I have to get out into the market place.

edit on 16-2-2011 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!! propaganda and more propaganda, but this money making schemers forgot that the one thing governments fear the most is a nation of scare citizens into hunger that is what makes nations have riots, protest and government forced changes

Perhaps is something behind this scaremongering after all.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Oh one more thing I want to be telling everyone, that I have it from good authority, ALL metal products will be taking a 10% price hike next week. I discovered this because i was pricing Horse Panels for some projects and I got this from the Farmers supply owner. He was not suppose to tell customers, but in my case he let me in on the price this week verses next. Very big news, this is going to cause Everything to rise rapidly.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
So can we please convert over to indoor multi leveled self sustaining pesticide free hydroponic farms with a zero percent failure rate? They pay for themselves.
maybe one day, hopefully this doesnt effect myself in Ontario too much.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ..5..
It's called 'winter'. So they planted summer crops and they failed. Who knew that it would be cold in winter what a shock.

They should have focused on the heavier heartier winter crops carrots, parsnips, cabbage, kale, etc. I'll wager those those items are on the produce racks.

My guess is that with the sheer volatility of our weather conditions these days, we will certainly be seeing a lot more "hearty, resistant" types of fruits/vegetables being grown in the upcoming years.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

It is tragic to say the least, but one has to remember that these farmers in warm climate areas are farming all years round. Produce such as what was lost, will be replanted and replenished in the spring. No matter what the case is, or earth change, anything, one is always taking a risk planting in the winter, even when your in a warm weather area, but still just a few hundred miles south of areas that have harsh winters. I am fortunate enough to live in an area where local produce is grown, and I have a garden of my own.

This should be expected to happen every year. That way, one can plan ahead.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join