It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA finds Tyche, the 'good sister' of Nemesis/Nibiru/Planet X/Wormwood/Hercolubus

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by GoldenFleece

You did not provide a source for your quote. I found one here.
The Coolest Stars Come out of the Dark
Your quote crosses paragraphs. Are you trying to misrepresent? Yes you are!

The reason there is a difference is that Tyche is not responsible for extinction events. The reason Nemesis was hypothesized was a perceived periodic nature to extinction events on Earth. That did not pan out.

I'll bet you didn't bother to check out the article which I posted that explains the origin of the name Tyche.

From the Introduction:
Persistent Evidence of a Jovian Mass Solar Companion

in the Oort Cloud

To help mitigate popular confusion with the Nemesis model (Whitmire and Jackson ( 1984), Davis et al. ( 1984)) we use the name recently suggested by Kirkpatrick and Wright (2010), Tyche, (the good sister of Nemesis) for the putative companion.

There it is from the authors and published in a peer reviewed journal, Tyche is not related to Nemesis. They are distinct hypothesized articles.

Time to dope slap yourself.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

I posted a couple of articles and quoted a member of the WISE team who directly contradicts stereologist's assertion that they didn't change the name from "Nemesis" to "Tyche."

You were caught telling a lie by quoting across paragraphs. Shame on you.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

OK, here are the relevant parts of BOTH paragraphs:

There is some speculation amongst scientists that such a cool body, if it exists, could be a brown dwarf companion to our sun. This hypothetical object has been nicknamed "Nemesis."

"We are now calling the hypothetical brown dwarf Tyche instead, after the benevolent counterpart to Nemesis," said Kirkpatrick.

There, are you happy?

[edit] I acknowledge that evidently there's two different versions of the Nemesis/Tyche naming scheme, which I find suspicious in itself. You're quoting from the astronomer's abstract and I'm quoting from a NASA article and WISE team member. In any case, according to the article, both are brown dwarfs. Not sure how NASA could've misstated this. My whole point is, the name keeps changing, whether it's Planet X, Nemesis or Tyche, not to mention the plethora of "unofficial" names such as Nibiru, Wormwood, Hercolubus, etc. But ALL of them are brown dwarfs and some of these references go way back to the Sumerian tablets and Kolbrin Bible. I find it highly improbable that these could be different planetary objects.

Rather than going back and forth with accusations and insults, would you mind letting people read the articles and come to their own conclusions? Thanks...

edit on 2/14/2011 by GoldenFleece because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
What you don't seem to understand is that the name Nemesis is not being changed to Tyche.

The issue here is that an object was called Nemesis because it had certain properties.
Another object was named Tyche because it has a completely different set of properties.

No matter how much you choose to misrepresent that fact it still has been shown through the clear and unequivocal words of the author that this is the case and that Tyche and Nemesis are not different names for the same object.

In fact, Tyche is not a brown dwarf. It can't be as presented in the article. It is 4 or less Jovian masses.

The results support a conjecture that there exists a companion of mass ~ 1-4 M_Jup orbiting in the innermost region of the outer Oort cloud.

A brown dwarf must be over 10 Jm.

The search is for a celestial object. These are given names so that people know what is being discussed. Nemesis has the property of causing extinctions. Tyche does not. The search is for a planet sized or larger mass in the outer parts of the solar system. Different names are assigned to distinguish radically different properties being used to suppose their existence. At this point the search for Nemesis is over since that property, the supposed periodic nature of extinctions, did not pan out.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
At this point the search for Nemesis is over since that property, the supposed periodic nature of extinctions, did not pan out.

How can you state this with such certainty, especially when the data hasn't been analyzed and a search for "Nemesis" was a stated primary goal of WISE?

I've edited my previous post to acknowledge that there are two different versions of the Nemesis/Tyche naming scheme. At this point, I'd like to give other posters a chance to read both views and decide for themselves instead of endlessly going back and forth.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

OK, there's evidently two different versions of the Nemesis/Tyche naming scheme, which I find suspicious in itself. You're quoting from the astronomer's abstract and I'm quoting from a NASA article and WISE team member. In any case, according to the article, both are brown dwarfs. My whole point is, the name keeps changing, whether it's Planet X, Nemesis or Tyche, not to mention the plethora of "unofficial" names such as Nibiru, Wormwood, Hercolubus, etc. But ALL of them are brown dwarfs and some of these references go way back to the Sumerian tablets and Kolbrin Bible. I find it highly improbable that these could be different objects.

The names do not keep changing. You are misinterpreting what is happening. Names are attached to the properties of the hypothesized objects. Names are only changed when a temporary name is cataloged. A formal name is given when the object is entered into a formal celestial catalog.

They are not all brown dwarfs. Tyche is given a mass too small to be brown dwarf. Planet X is a planet, not a star such as a brown dwarf. Nibiru is mentioned in one place in Sumerian tablets to be Marduk, which is Jupiter. Jupiter is not a brown dwarf. In other places the word Nibiru is used for other purposes, even just a point in the sky. The Kolbrin bible is a hoax.

You might "find it highly improbable that these could be different objects." but Tyche and Nemesis are different objects because they have different properties.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

How can you state this with such certainty, especially when the data hasn't been analyzed and a search for "Nemesis" was a stated primary goal of WISE?

I've edited my previous post to acknowledge that there are two different versions of the Nemesis/Tyche naming scheme.

You are confusing your own assertion that any possible companion to the sun is the same as Nemesis is the same as Tyche with the facts. The fact is that there is the possibility for a large unknown mass in the solar system. It has to be very, very far away and never enter the part of the solar system where the known planets orbit. It might be a gas giant or a brown dwarf. It might very well be an object which is neither Tyche or Nemesis, ie has the properties ascribed to these hypothetical objects.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Stereologist, if you can prove me beyond all doubts Sumerians did know a lot about space, it would be appreciated. To me that's just speculation you're doing. How can we expect to be so sure about an ancient civilization...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Gab1159

It's simple, they spent thousands of years under the only lights in the dark the moon and stars with no other distractions between them.

Of course that is going to breed information and not the kind distorted necessarily by religion at that time.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Stereologist has a history of doing this, just look at his posts... while seemingly intelligent, he throws a lot of straw man arguments out to derail the threads.

And to correct YOUR misrepresentation of Nemesis... it is just a name given to ONE theory Stereologist, but you are using that to completely shut down a very important subject / thread and I for one, don't like it or appreciate what you are trying to do. This article has enormous validity towards our solar system possibly being, or once being, a BINARY star system, which is completely supported in the astronomical circles since MOST systems are binary. There has long been the thought that we had a companion, or sister star, that might have burned out or never ignited.

The name "Nemesis" has been used in a way in many discussions to describe BOTH the extinction star that you are referring to that was described in a paper by David Raup and Jack Sepkoski, to describe periodic extinction events that seem to occur in cycles, AND Nemesis has also been used to describe the SAME star in a NON-EXTINCTION fashion, as in to relate it to the SISTER star of our sun that may or may not have been a star or could be floating around outside of the Oort Cloud.

You come here saying the OP is misrepresenting, and offer nothing constructive other than dispelling the idea of Nibiru/Planet X, which there are plenty of other threads to do that on. This specific thread is dealing with a "new" discovery about a potential planetary body that just coincidentally matches some of the stories around Planet X. To think that there won't be speculation running rampant about this and people discussing it is silly and you are fooling yourself if you think you're going to convince every reader that you are correct.

I admire your tenacity, but if I were to offer you any friendly advice, it's that you have to learn when to bow out of certain discussions.

OP - S&F to you.

~Namaste
edit on 14-2-2011 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Here is the original thread posted on here about this

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
i have to admit until today i thought most of you guys are schmucks and idiots for believing realy crazy stuff (ex. reptile aliens, ufo hoaxes and so on). i believe in energy and that something might happen on 2012 but not that crazy stuff. i just came here to read some interesting ufo storries just for entertainment. one of the most ridiculous theories i thought was the coming of another planet niburu/planet x whatever you want to call it... and now i just read this headline in a german online news portal "Neuer Planet im Sonnensystem entdeckt?" (www.bild.de...) and also an article in the independant "Up telescope! Search begins for giant new planet" (www.independent.co.uk...). and some of you talked about that a long time now! that is just crazy! i am realy confused right now and don't know what to make of it. so probably i was the idiot...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Gab1159

Stereologist, if you can prove me beyond all doubts Sumerians did know a lot about space, it would be appreciated. To me that's just speculation you're doing. How can we expect to be so sure about an ancient civilization...

I've never said they knew a lot about space, nor would I suggest that.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

And to correct YOUR misrepresentation of Nemesis... it is just a name given to ONE theory

That is exactly what I have been stating. Why do you attempt to suggest anything other than that?

since MOST systems are binary.

Really? Can you support this? What percentage of star systems are binary or greater?

AND Nemesis has also been used to describe the SAME star in a NON-EXTINCTION fashion, as in to relate it to the SISTER star of our sun that may or may not have been a star or could be floating around outside of the Oort Cloud.

Just because a name is misused does not make it anything more than a misused name.

This specific thread is dealing with a "new" discovery about a potential planetary body that just coincidentally matches some of the stories around Planet X.

That's completely untrue. Nothing has been discovered. That is the first falsehood. The next is that these match planet X. That is also false. This object, if it exists, is too far out to have been planet X. It never comes close enough to be optically detected by surveys. It can't be any of the mythical planets since it is too far away.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Yes, I made an error. I meant to say: how would you support your claim that the sumerians didn't know much about space and other planets.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Gab1159

The Babylonians left records behind. Their records include naked eye records of the positions of the visible planets. They developed calendars and made astronomical predictions.

They did not know what a planet was, but they could track the movements. They did not know about any planets other than the naked eye planets. They did not know about galaxies. They did not know what comets and meteors were. They did not report the existence of the Galilean moons.

They were smart people. They did an excellent job of studying the skies with the available technology. They did not have the tools to detect Uranus, Neptune, or the moons of other planets. Thus they were limited as to what they could know.

Getting back to the Sumerians, the names of stars in Babylonian times were often Sumerian suggesting that the catalogs were based on previous Sumerian work. I think that is a reasonable inference although it would be better to find a tablet in Sumerian with planetary positions recorded. There are references to astronomy in Sumerian tablets, but apparently there is little known today.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Very Interesting. I wonder of this Planet "Tyche" could be one of the following planets, of which all three are said to be part of Ors (our Solar System):

Vulcan, Persephone, or Clarion

"Nibiru" could be one of the above three planets as well.

(Remember that Hercolubus is said to be part of the Tylo Solar System, not our Ors Solar System)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

You're right. I apologise for adding to the confusion by mentioning Nemesis in my replies to one of the other theads about this conjectured planet .

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gab1159

For their time they did (I assume by space you mean the celestrial sky, as seen from Earth - which is clearly what Stereologist means), why do suppose otherwise
I doubt anyone on Earth knew more at the time.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
We should determine it's trajectory and send a space probe there.

I would LOVE to see pics of this bad boy.

I do realize they may have to be in non-visible light spectrum. That's acceptable.

I just want to see what kind of a place it is.

BTW there has been a long standing theory in Astronomy that some type of object was causing gravitational effects on the outermost planets of our solar system, and that the same object could be the cause of what kicks up the comets out of the Oort cloud.

I have always favored the search for this extra planet.

But I personally would like to see proof if they actually have found it for sure.

We know little to nothing about it, hopefully that changes and the scientists will bring out some good information to enlighten us all.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join