It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA finds Tyche, the 'good sister' of Nemesis/Nibiru/Planet X/Wormwood/Hercolubus

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge

Originally posted by stereologist
reply to post by Xagathorn

The name wasn't changed Nemesis is not Tyche. Tyche is not Nemesis. They are separate objects with very different properties based on completely separate lines of thought.

...also...

To distinguish this object from the malevolent "Nemesis," astronomers chose the name of Nemesis's benevolent sister in Greek mythology, "Tyche."

-

woops and this was from - www.nasa.gov...

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
I like this statement along with the question:

Q: Why is the hypothesized object dubbed "Tyche," and why choose a Greek name when the names of other planets derive from Roman mythology?

A: In the 1980s, a different companion to the sun was hypothesized. That object, named for the Greek goddess "Nemesis," was proposed to explain periodic mass extinctions on the Earth. Nemesis would have followed a highly elliptical orbit, perturbing comets in the Oort Cloud roughly every 26 million years and sending a shower of comets toward the inner solar system. Some of these comets would have slammed into Earth, causing catastrophic results to life. Recent scientific analysis no longer supports the idea that extinctions on Earth happen at regular, repeating intervals. Thus, the Nemesis hypothesis is no longer needed. However, it is still possible that the sun could have a distant, unseen companion in a more circular orbit with a period of a few million years -- one that would not cause devastating effects to terrestrial life. To distinguish this object from the malevolent "Nemesis," astronomers chose the name of Nemesis's benevolent sister in Greek mythology, "Tyche."

Good one! Except it wasn't the 1980s when Nemesis was "hypothesized." It was LAST YEAR when WISE was launched!

So WISE began it's mission looking for a brown dwarf companion to the sun that causes an extinction level event every 26 million years.

And WISE ended it's mission looking for a brown dwarf companion to the sun that causes an extinction level event every few million years.

Phew! I'm sure glad they changed the name of that brown dwarf companion to the sun while WISE was orbiting. That gives us an extra 20 million years!

But wait, there's still one problem -- I've seen every type of photo that WISE has taken except a brown dwarf.

Probably just an oversight. Hey Phage! Get back in here and reassure us that there's actually TWO brown dwarf companions to the sun that will NEVER cause an extinction level event!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenFleece

". Nature 308 (5961): 713715 Davis, M.; Hut, P., Muller, R.A. (1984). "Extinction of species by periodic comet showers". Nature 308 (5961): 715717] This hypothesis proposes that the sun may have an as yet undetected companion star in a highly elliptical orbit that periodically disturbs comets in the Oort cloud, causing a large increase in the number of comets visiting the inner solar system with a consequential increase in impact events on Earth. This became known as the Nemesis (or, more colorfully, Death Star) hypothesis.

www.experts123.com...

WISE was not launched to look for Nemesis or any other object in particular. It's mission was to do a full sky survey.

WISE is a NASA-funded Explorer mission that will provide a vast storehouse of knowledge about the solar system, the Milky Way, and the Universe. Among the objects WISE will study are asteroids, the coolest and dimmest stars, and the most luminous galaxies.

wise.ssl.berkeley.edu...

Neither Tyche or Nemesis has been has been confirmed to exist. Somewhere in the data which WISE has collected one or both may be.

Tyche, as hypothesized, is not massive enough to be a brown dwarf.

edit on 2/22/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

WISE was not launched to look for Nemesis or any other object in particular. It's mission was to do a full sky survey.

Wouldn't a full sky survey be necessary to discover the "hypothetical" Nemesis?

Getting WISE About Nemesis - Companion of Our Sun?

Is our Sun part of a binary star system? An unseen companion star, nicknamed “Nemesis,” may be sending comets towards Earth. If Nemesis exists, NASA’s new WISE telescope should be able to spot it.

NASA’s newest telescope, the Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE), may be able to answer the question about Nemesis once and for all.

Originally posted by Phage
Tyche, as hypothesized, is not massive enough to be a brown dwarf.

Has anyone told Matese and Whitmire that?

We assume that there is a certainty that the sun has an as-yet-to-be-discovered maximum mass companion with mass between MPluto ←→ 20M J , the upper limit being fixed by IRAS/2mass observations.

Zuckerman and Song (2008) give a mass distribution for brown dwarfs down to 13 MJ of dN/dM∝ M−1.2.

Supportive Evidence for a Brown Dwarf Solar Companion
John J. Matese
University of Louisiana at Lafayette, Lafayette LA USA 70504-4210

Abstract. We have previously given evidence based on Oort cloud comet orbital elements which suggested that there may be a Jovian-mass brown dwarf in our solar system. An extended cometary database is now available.

www.scribd.com...

Even though it's obvious what everyone is searching for, thank you for your lightning quick response!

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
In my eyes, indisposed
In disguise as no one knows
Hides the face, lies the snake
The sun in my disgrace
Boiling heat, summer stench
'Neath the black the sky looks dead
Call my name, through the cream
And I'll hear you scream again

Black hole sun
Won't you come
And wash away the rain
Black hole sun
Won't you come
Won't you come

Stuttering, cold and damp
Steal the warm wind tired friend
Times are gone for honest men
And sometimes far too long for snakes
In my shoes, a walking sleep
And my youth I pray to keep
Heaven send Hell away
No one sings like you anymore

Black hole sun
Won't you come
And wash away the rain
Black hole sun
Won't you come
Won't you come

Hang my head, drown my fear
Till you all just disappear

Black hole sun
Won't you come
And wash away the rain

Black hole sun
Won't you come
Won't you come

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   

So when John Matese and Daniel Whitmire are hospitalized after doing cartwheels and this is reported in newspapers we'll know for sure it's the real deal, until then it's BS.
edit on 23-2-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-2-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Nemesis was originally hypothesized in 1984 and I think Whitmire would know since he wrote one of the original articles.

Are periodic mass extinctions driven by a distant solar companion?

I think I'm beginning to see what your problem is now, you don't actually know how science works. Results aren't published in the mainstream media, they're published in scientific journals that are peer-reviewed and edited by other scientists. The goal of this is to ensure that other scientists can replicate your experiment. So, you need to stop basing your knowledge of science on what newspapers like The Washington Post say and instead actually read some scientific journals. Even an abstract will give you more information than these articles you're posting.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
If the WISE data fails to confirm the presence of a large body in the Oort cloud, you will be puzzled because you think that the article you are misinterpreting affirmed the discovery. You will then claim that its existence was proven and announced, but the Powers That Be are now covering it up. If you get your facts straight now, you will spare yourself confusion in the future.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Good one! Except it wasn't the 1980s when Nemesis was "hypothesized." It was LAST YEAR when WISE was launched!

Still can't get this one straight. It was Tyche that was from last year.

So WISE began it's mission looking for a brown dwarf companion to the sun that causes an extinction level event every 26 million years.

Stunningly false. The 26My extinction cycle does not exist. WISE was not launched looking for a brown dwarf companion.

Phew! I'm sure glad they changed the name of that brown dwarf companion to the sun while WISE was orbiting. That gives us an extra 20 million years!

The name was not changed.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Wouldn't a full sky survey be necessary to discover the "hypothetical" Nemesis?

Obviously you've done no reading since the proposed objects already have proposed orbits. Had you done even marginal research you would know this.

Has anyone told Matese and Whitmire that?

Try reading and you'd know.
Persistent Evidence of a Jovian Mass Solar Companion in the Oort Cloud

Zuckerman and Song (2008) give a mass distribution for brown dwarfs down to 13 MJ

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Do you genuinely not understand the difference between an hypothesis and a discovery? Back in the 80's, it was hypothesized that there might be a massive companion body in a highly elliptical orbit beyond the hypothetical Oort cloud that causes periodic disruptions of the hypothetical cloud. This was to explain what appeared to researchers at the time to be regular extinction events in the geological record. This hypothetical body, which, as I said, would have had a highly elliptical orbit, was dubbed "Nemesis." It was never discovered. The hypothesis is generally considered to be false. The new hypothesis is that there is a planetary body in the hypothetical Oort cloud in a more circular orbit. The article states that if the planet exists, it should be possible to confirm its existence using the data already collected by WISE. This process may take up to two years. If the data does confirm its existence, it will have been "discovered." The authors of the paper suggest that if it is discovered, it be named Tyche, as an astronomical "in joke." On the other hand, if the data does not conform its existence, then the hypothesis will have been proven false. The title of your thread not only misrepresents the thrust of the article you cite, it manages to conflate every hypothetical, mythological and science fictional planet as well. Please try to sort things out in your head before posting.
edit on 23-2-2011 by DJW001 because: Edit to correct typo.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
well i will stat of with when Nemesis thought of www.sott.net... ok so it is a sott.net but there are links to look for www.astrobio.net... just a couple to start with back soon, ok i am back now for the ones that know believe and feel that there is no real 2012 doomsday as the thoughts on this planet X has more names that Mr johonson, this ones for you
www.universetoday.com... and one more name www.nasa.gov...

edit on 23-2-2011 by bekod because: word spelling

edit on 23-2-2011 by bekod because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Except for Bekod and a handful of other sincere posters (who unfortunately seem to have lost interest), this thread is a textbook example of disinformation, obfuscation and diversion.

My premise from the beginning was that the "hypothetical" Tyche is nothing more than a renamed Nemesis, which is nothing more than a renamed Planet X, which is nothing more than a renamed "Mystery Heavenly Body Found." In 1983. An object the size of Jupiter in our solar system, 55 billion miles from Earth. I've never heard of a "hypothetical" object with so many names and orbits. If I had a nickel every time Phage said "hypothesized" or "hypothetical"...

And what a coincidence, they're all brown dwarfs.

When Stereologist made the ludicrous claim that the Mystery Heavenly Body was actually a "new type of galaxy" (later claiming 6 galaxies), I asked him a simple question: what galaxies were discovered? What are their names? It took an entire page of BS before it became clear that he had no answer.

Throughout this thread, Phage and Stereologist have repeatedly insisted that Tyche is not Nemesis, but offered nothing to back it up. When Phage kept claiming that Tyche is not massive enough to be a brown dwarf, I posted calculations from Matese and Whitmire's paper and a Matese abstract that specifically mentions brown dwarfs and contradicts what I believe is a purposeful attempt to deceive. Except for the single reference that I found which was evidently overlooked, it sure is odd how EVERY mention of brown dwarfs in Whitmire and Matese's paper (including the front page synopsis) has been deleted since this thread was started. I know because I read their paper when a link to it was posted on page 2.

When the NASA Q&A article above tried to imply that the Nemesis hypothesis from the 1980s was no longer needed because of "recent scientific analysis", I pointed out the fact that one of the primary stated missions of WISE was to confirm the existence of Nemesis, a binary solar companion. Of course even that was twisted into the accusation that I didn't know the Nemesis theory began in the 80s. Just more smoke and mirrors.

In nearly three decades since IRAS was sent up, the question people should be asking is, after launching three infrared telescopes (IRAS, Spitzer and WISE), not to mention building the enormous South Pole Telescope (all of which can image objects many light years away), why is this massive "hypothetical" object in our solar system still impossible to confirm? And what's all the fuss over a brown dwarf?

Well, there's a reason they call it "Sunday".

Prepare to meet the Sun of God.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

My premise from the beginning was that the "hypothetical" Tyche is nothing more than a renamed Nemesis, which is nothing more than a renamed Planet X, which is nothing more than a renamed "Mystery Heavenly Body Found." In 1983. An object the size of Jupiter in our solar system, 55 billion miles from Earth. I've never heard of a "hypothetical" object with so many names and orbits. If I had a nickel every time Phage said "hypothesized" or "hypothetical"...

Tyche is not a renamed Nemesis. They have completely different properties including size and orbit and were hypothesized for different reasons.
It's a filthy lie that the 1983 article said anything was found in the solar system.

And what a coincidence, they're all brown dwarfs.

You continue to lie. Tyche is not a brown dwarf. The possible object in the solar system was not a brown dwarf.

When Stereologist made the ludicrous claim that the Mystery Heavenly Body was actually a "new type of galaxy" (later claiming 6 galaxies), I asked him a simple question: what galaxies were discovered? What are their names? It took an entire page of BS before it became clear that he had no answer.

I answered you with the peer reviewed articles but you were so intent on being a disingenuous liar that you continue to lie. Every can see that GoldenFleece - everyone.

Phage and Stereologist have repeatedly insisted that Tyche is not Nemesis

And we showed peer reviewed articles showing that they were different.

I posted calculations from Matese and Whitmire's paper and a Matese abstract that specifically mentions brown dwarfs and contradicts what I believe is a purposeful attempt to deceive.

Another blatant lie. You did not post calculations. I did post part of their paper that showed that Tyche was too small by a factor of 3 to be a brown dwarf.

I pointed out the fact that one of the primary stated missions of WISE was to confirm the existence of Nemesis

Yet another lie. Nemesis was no longer consider a viable object to search for before WISE was launched.

In nearly three decades since IRAS was sent up, the question people should be asking is, after launching three infrared telescopes (IRAS, Spitzer and WISE), not to mention building the enormous South Pole Telescope (all of which can image objects many light years away), why is this massive "hypothetical" object in our solar system still impossible to confirm? And what's all the fuss over a brown dwarf?

The answer is simple. It doesn't exist or is far enough away that it is difficult to image.

That silly comment about being able to detect object light years away is meaningless. I can see mountains many miles away. That doesn't mean I can see ants on the mountain.

Seriously, don't you think that everyone can see you are a blatant liar? Do you think that people here at ATS are stupid? Do you think that believers in Nibiru are dumb and can't see through these ludicrous lies of yours? I think that Nibiru believers are smart. That is why they think you actions are shameful.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

That's quite the masterful line-by-line rebuttal -- which says exactly nothing except to repeatedly call me a liar -- for anyone to craft 23 minutes after I posted. But Phage's 10 minute response still has you beat.

Besides wondering if you do anything except spew lies and disinfo 24/7, I must say that I really enjoyed this part:

Do you think that believers in Nibiru are dumb and can't see through these ludicrous lies of yours? I think that Nibiru believers are smart.

Dewd, that's rich! Who writes your material?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

At least in this last post you told no lies. I have no idea why you think that no one but Phage and I recognize you as a persistent teller of lies. Everyone sees that. People at ATS see that you are a troll. It's stunningly obvious to everyone.

The issue now is to sit back and see if Tyche can be detected in the WISE data.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

The issue now is to sit back and see if Tyche can be detected in the WISE data.

Yeah, they said they've have an answer by, what was it, mid-2013?

It's understandable that detecting the existence of a Jupiter-sized object in our solar system who's precise orbit and position have been calculated for the last 30 years could take another 2-3 years to locate.

By then, you'll hopefully be rewarded for all your hard work by being able to sit back in an underground bunker.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

"I have no idea why you think that no one but Phage and I recognize you as a persistent teller of lies. Everyone sees that. People at ATS see that you are a troll. It's stunningly obvious to everyone."

No, actually - I truly think that you're the only one who sees GoldenFleece as a ''persistent teller of lies''.

I will however give you an ''A'' for effort in trying to make GoldenFleece look bad. That seems to be your expertise. Unfortunately for you, stating that ''I think that Nibiru believers are smart'' was probably the most ''stunningly obvious'' thing you could have ever posted, considering that it's blatantly clear that you think the exact opposite about these ''Nibiru-believers''.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Please Stop the personal sniping .

You are free to attack theories, explanations, posts, etc. but not fellow members.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
well i can not believe how many names one planet can have !!! they changed it again

A new name has been bestowed on the "dwarf planet" whose discovery in 2005 rocked the solar system, sparked debate over "What is a planet?" and ultimately led to Pluto's removal from the planetary family. The dwarf planet, formerly known as 2003 UB313, is now called Eris, after the Greek goddess of discord and strife.
that came form well
edit on 24-2-2011 by bekod because: word spelling
still have not figured out how screen shots work but... www.nasa.gov... from here. so now it went from Tyche too Eris, how about we just call it planet MR Johnston oh my fault did not see date.
edit on 24-2-2011 by bekod because: (no reason given)
well here this with out the pic

A massive star flung away from its former companion is plowing through space dust. The result is a brilliant bow shock, seen here as a yellow arc in a new image from NASA's Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer, or WISE.

The star, named Zeta Ophiuchi, is huge, with a mass of about 20 times that of our sun. In this image, in which infrared light has been translated into visible colors we see with our eyes, the star appears as the blue dot inside the bow shock.

Zeta Ophiuchi once orbited around an even heftier star. But when that star exploded in a supernova, Zeta Ophiuchi shot away like a bullet. It's traveling at a whopping 54,000 miles per hour (or 24 kilometers per second), and heading toward the upper left area of the picture.

As the star tears through space, its powerful winds push gas and dust out of its way and into what is called a bow shock. The material in the bow shock is so compressed that it glows with infrared light that WISE can see. The effect is similar to what happens when a boat speeds through water, pushing a wave in front of it.

This bow shock is completely hidden in visible light. Infrared images like this one from WISE are therefore important for shedding new light on the region.
and if went right here is the pic www.nasa.gov... so if they have that pic, why not others? and do you not think... planet... MR Johnston,er Tyche would be released or would they?

edit on 24-2-2011 by bekod because: got link to up load, added info , word edit spelling, text pic update

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join