It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is It Wrong That I Do Not Have An Identity?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
The opposite of something is not nothing. It is just something else.

Everything you just wrote is the basis of an identity. Unless you literally cannot self-identify yourself from the herd, then you have engaged in the process of differentiation.

Hating something isn't the same as eschewing it or failing to recognize it.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by SystemResistor
reply to post by fordrew

I have also used that video in one of my posts. My model of good and evil is far more complex that what most people understand. Most associate "evil" with pain, and "good" with "pleasure" - however, it is simply the force of sin (error/mistakes) that causes us to perceive a difference between pain and pleasure in the first place.

that video is by far one of my most favorite videos. I can't understand why they would put that in a children's movie though.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by fordrew
reply to post by NorEaster

but I still ask the question, do people always concretely fit in groups? Like agree with all the ideals of a certan group. i.e. Republican / Muslim / etc.
edit on 14-2-2011 by fordrew because: (no reason given)

Some do, but generally for reasons that only touch slightly on what the stated agreement is. Many businessmen are Republicans because it makes doing business in most professional arenas easier if you're one of the club. Muslims can be Muslims for the same reason that many Catholics are Catholic - because their family and everyone they know is Muslim. Again, not so much about the main agreement item, but more about the connection with the people who matter to them the most.

People who question their beliefs are generally the kind of people who take those beliefs seriously. Some question, and find answers that make them even more committed to those beliefs. Some question, and are led off to discover their intellectual alignment with other beliefs. I am not exactly convinced that all people are well served by focusing intently on matters of culture and belief, but if one is driven in that direction, then they should not suppress that drive. In the end, we're all simply trying to create our eternal selves, and somehow we all manage to do exactly that - for better or worse.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by fordrew

Sounds like you are being YOU. This is a good thing....to be different. This breeds innovation is thinking and behavior. This is exactly what will change the world. Thinking outside the box, doing things differently, and most importantly having a unique perspective.

Since you asked for advice I'll give it. GET OUT OF YOUR WAY.
You are different for a reason. You feel and think differently for a reason.
If everyone out there remained a 'sheep' and followed the status quo, had the same thoughts and feelings, the same religious beliefs and political beliefs then we REALLY would be in trouble as a species. Just like we need to have different genetics to continue to grow physically stronger, more resilient, with better immune systems ... we need each other to be different in order to grow.

What you have to do is accept your place. Accept yourself. BE different. Whatever you do for God's sake DON'T conform. Don't be brainwashed and indifferent like most people. You be YOU.

It's a good thing. Get out of your own way emotionally and accept yourself and continue to be different and grow. This is what makes a person interesting and original instead of boring. Be yourself and build upon it.

Also, don't try and change anyone else. Be you..let them be them. It's the way it is supposed to be. Keep your head up.

On a side note...I do not like politics because they are mostly self serving. I cannot fit into a group like Dems or Repubs because I myself are too different from their philosophy. I have to remain an Independent.

I don't like....I REALLY don't like organized religion. Spirituality is a subjective matter. It's all about YOU and your own growth...not about anything else. Your relationship with God personally.

I don't fit into almost ANY group because I find the group mentality to be very limiting. I do participate and add my own flavor. I don't isolate myself because I also need exposure to them just as they do me.
I'm quite well off and established in life. I have been all over the world and seen many things. I'm an adventurer. I just don't let the group idea hold me back...I push forward to where I personally want to go.
edit on 15-2-2011 by Spirit Warrior 11:11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Those that do not define themselves are
well defined.-Chinese proverb.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Spirit Warrior 11:11

sounds good.

Group mentality is very limiting I think. But then again what if we lived in a world where we couldn't be put into groups? Would that be a bad thing or a good thing?....

The theme of my life recently has been to put aside my beliefs. Listening to those that oppose your opinion. Trying things that you would normally never try to do. Throwing your belief and opinion under the bus.

So far I don't regret my decision to do this... new opportunities arise if you do this!!!!

Originally posted by RRokkyy
Those that do not define themselves are
well defined.-Chinese proverb.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by fordrew

You sounds normal just confused. You'll know what you need before the end dont worry
Dont worry about having to associate with a group thats for sheep. You seem different though OP maybe you are a shepard?
What if there is no good or evil just experience? We are here for it, to feel the best and the worst and everything inbetween

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
well it sucks cus your just waking up to the world and your gunna see that having an identity is something you dont want you want to kill your ego. your ego is whats telling you what it thinks you are but your just the observer you are not the ego you are not even the body your just the observer inside of it. but it sucks cus this is what you want and in time you will not have an identity but to society the way they will look at you will be almost as if you did have an identity but one you dont want their gonna label you anti social or a schitzo or something else when in fact you just hate the way the world has become and you wish you could change it but its too far gone and you no longer want to partake in such activities that will make you appear NORMAL. but you also have to find peace in this world cus wheteher you like it or not this is one of your lives and untill you get through it and let it teach you what you need to learn you wont be able to move on so just take it as it comes and keep your head up im in the same spot as you slowly starting to loose all my friends and the sad part is that i could care less cus they werent realy my frineds to begin with just wanted to fit in somewhere but now i can say fugit and just live
edit on 19-2-2011 by smokesalotaherb because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by fordrew
My views of good and evil and therefore my morale views are completely distorted. The issue of good and evil is the most important issue I have conflicts with. It tears my apart every single time I think about it in depth. I want to make a topic about good and evil one day but I fear I will take many days to write the topic because I can pretty much write a book on the subject.

Good and evil are analagous to light and dark.

Dark as an active force doesn't actually exist. It doesn't need too. It is simply the absence of light.

Evil is the same. In the absence of good, there is only evil.

At least that's my feeling on it.

Don't lose too much sleep on it though. Life is to short.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
You are fine. Freedom is everything. Groupthink is a shackle, don't seek it out.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Just keep reinventing yourself over and over again..... keep people guessing. You don't have to solidify an identity for any length of time. Not unless you are hurting others by not filling a role of some sort.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join