It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is It Wrong That I Do Not Have An Identity?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
ATS,

I am having an identity crisis here. I always avoid associating myself being put into a group in any way possible.

I hate politics, but I do have political views. It is against my every desire to be put in a group within politics as I have beliefs from all sides of the political spectrum. Mainly, I hate politics in general and I prefer avoiding politics at all cost.

I hate religion, but I do have religious/non-religious views. It is against my every desire to be put in a group within religion. I may fit in unorganized religion but that really isn't a group because there are vastly different opinions amongst them.

My views of good and evil and therefore my morale views are completely distorted. The issue of good and evil is the most important issue I have conflicts with. It tears my apart every single time I think about it in depth. I want to make a topic about good and evil one day but I fear I will take many days to write the topic because I can pretty much write a book on the subject.

I have trouble being associated with my nationality. I am not proud to be a Sicilian American, and I view the world from the world's point of view. I do not have opinions from an American point of view. I constantly question myself in world issues ALWAYS from a neutral point of view.

So am I crazy? Am I the only human who exists with these exact points of view? Is there some kind of neurological disorder associated with me? I also do not like being admired. For instance if I were a celebrity I would not like the attention.

Or perhaps am I just over thinking and people always never fit into groups? I think there are always people who fit into groups. In example, people who are model Republicans or model Catholics.
Am I naive to think that populations love to associate themselves completely with those groups associated?
edit on 12-2-2011 by fordrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by fordrew

You are rare; and common.

Embrace your Will.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Well, if you were to have the same views your whole life, that wouldn't really be productive would it, cause you'd never learn anything. So stick with what seems right to you now, you never know when your views on something will change, and if they never change, you have to ask yourself if you lived a life worth living

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by fordrew

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm not here to judge you. Do the best you can with what you have and strive to be the best YOU that you can be. That should be all that you ask of yourself.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Ah but you DO have an identity..it is that of an individual.

You are uniquely you. It isn't necessary to try and fit yourself into a group mold. Enjoy being you.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
It's not wrong not to have an identity. But you will be labeled anyway by "gender", "race", etc. Perhaps, you wish to belong to a group of VOIDS, NULLS, etc. Therefore, it's impossible to avoid having an "identity".

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by fordrew

Haha, No it's not wrong to feel like you don't have an identity. You are your own identity and who you are can not only be seen by your actions but what you find important to you. Personally, I felt the same way for a long time. I was raised in a christian household and spent alot of time in church. Ever since I was young I questioned everything my friends did and what I was told. Because of this I often gravitated from group to group trying to find people who thought the way I did and understood things the way I did. Unfortunately this was difficult, it was a long time before I found people who accepted me for the way I perceived the world. However, I have recently had some experiences in my life that led me back towards Christianity. I have realized that the Christianity that is most widely preached these days is a watered down distorted message of what it is meant to be. I see now that my altered view of the world was all in His plan for me to "get it" and see how others "don't get it."
I understand that most people see that sort of thinking as strange or even crazy these days but perhaps you should check out the Bible. Until recently I laughed at the idea but not anymore.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Firstoff, please try to embrace your cultural heritage and yourself as a person. Once you feel comfortable in "your own skin", so to speak, you will attain a freedom that will allow you to freely examine other ideas without considering yourself somehow deficient in either intellect or experience.
Try to learn to accept yourself, as you are.
Not one of us is exactly like anyone else. This seemingly small fact can be empowering, if you allow it to be.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I have some of the same issues. My mother jokingly called me wishy washy because I could always see all sides of an issue and could never just agree with any one idea. I have always envied people who know their own mind--mine hasn't been decided yet, and I'm not sure it ever will be. Its just the way I am. but then again I am always learning, where a whole lot of people are set in their idealism and are closed off and refuse to accept new possibilities. I think religion is a joke, and yet I envy the people who don't because they have such faith. Not that I don't have faith, I do. I just don't put a lot of stock into mans interpretation of God's will. I think that can be felt within us if you just listen. And politics? I just want to stick my fingers in my ears and lalalalalalalalala.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
thanks everyone for the responses. I quickly skimmed through the responses. I will give a more detailed response for tomorrow. Now it is sleepy time for me. Some people had some good points I would like to point out (at least I thought so).

I am an educated person looking for a Doctorate in the degree of mechanical engineering. But for now I wish to obtain my BS and get 5 years of experience for my Professional Engineer Title.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Good and evil, perhaps just happy and angry.

edit on 12-2-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by fordrew

I am the same. I am not part of any group, as its true you should not have idols.

I have never been in any group or never will, why does it matter, it seems mostly it matters to others, that want to label you this and that.

Like i am white shaved head, and i am passive all my life, going against that stereotype.
Amazing the labels people put on people. If they want to label me something so what, but as long as its dangerous to me, or ruins my life why should i care? The labels are always wrong like above anyway, and people do not like it being wrong, but they are in my life.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by fordrew
ATS,

I am having an identity crisis here. I always avoid associating myself being put into a group in any way possible.

I hate politics, but I do have political views. It is against my every desire to be put in a group within politics as I have beliefs from all sides of the political spectrum. Mainly, I hate politics in general and I prefer avoiding politics at all cost.

I hate religion, but I do have religious/non-religious views. It is against my every desire to be put in a group within religion. I may fit in unorganized religion but that really isn't a group because there are vastly different opinions amongst them.

My views of good and evil and therefore my morale views are completely distorted. The issue of good and evil is the most important issue I have conflicts with. It tears my apart every single time I think about it in depth. I want to make a topic about good and evil one day but I fear I will take many days to write the topic because I can pretty much write a book on the subject.

I have trouble being associated with my nationality. I am not proud to be a Sicilian American, and I view the world from the world's point of view. I do not have opinions from an American point of view. I constantly question myself in world issues ALWAYS from a neutral point of view.

So am I crazy? Am I the only human who exists with these exact points of view? Is there some kind of neurological disorder associated with me? I also do not like being admired. For instance if I were a celebrity I would not like the attention.

Or perhaps am I just over thinking and people always never fit into groups? I think there are always people who fit into groups. In example, people who are model Republicans or model Catholics.
Am I naive to think that populations love to associate themselves completely with those groups associated?

OMG! It's like we're twins!!!!

Seriously, though. You are yourself and we're all unique in our own way. What you have done is actually taken the time to examine your views, and there's nothing wrong with that. If a person really digs into their own views and really works to clearly define them, they'll generally find the point of delineation between the way they are and the way everyone else seems to be. That's normal and that's how you emerge as an existential whole.

If you can't find anything to champion, then just relax and enjoy your life until something snatches you up and forces you to give a sh*t. It'll happen eventually. It may not ever be anything earth shattering, but it'll arrive if you live long enough. It could end up being a grandchild, or working to prevent some real menace from achieving his or her dream within the confines of your own small sphere of tangential influence. Whatever it is, you'll be aware of it when it shows up.

Until then, just surf life and enjoy the amazing array of things to learn and experience. Some people never connect with anything important, but they contribute to the matrix of human experience in their own inimitable way. A hand never regrets that it's not a foot, and the foot is pretty sure that it's got the better deal between itself and the hand. Each has its contribution to the whole of the body, and you have yours as well. Ten years ago, I was still slugging it out with other indie bands for a shrinking stable of well-funded record label deals. I never thought I'd be trying to explain reality to people by this time in my life. Never would've suspected such a thing. Life changes stuff on you, so don't freak out over a snapshot of how you look today. Just acknowledge it and file it away for review in ten years.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by QueSeraSera
Firstoff, please try to embrace your cultural heritage and yourself as a person. Once you feel comfortable in "your own skin", so to speak, you will attain a freedom that will allow you to freely examine other ideas without considering yourself somehow deficient in either intellect or experience.

Yeah, but the guy said he's Sicilian....

I mean....

Okay, i'm not saying there's anything wrong with being Sicilian, but....well.....

It's just that.......

oh, nevermind.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by pikypiky

Yea I mean that seems to be a given. To be labeled by gender / race / etc. Those labels are not controllable in any way.

reply to post by TheFuzzMonster

it seems like every one of us has their own opinion on the bible. In my opinion, the bible should only be taken for what it really is. It should be read as a book filled with fictitious stories looking to prove a point. I think it is a very good book and I would swear on it because the ideas of morality and ideals are amazing.

If people read the bible for what it is I think people would be able to understand its true purpose. Its true purpose is not to spread the word of God and Christianity and Judaism .

reply to post by SystemResistor

Im not sure what I was supposed to get out of that video. I don't like calling good and evil good and evil because the media distorts reality and sorts people into these two groups of good and evil. I don't believe good and evil exist.

On the subject of creepy videos that have a meaning to them, I bring you this video:

reply to post by andy1033

Agreed. Being labeled is only for other people to decide. I do not care what other people think. If they want they can go ahead it doesn't effect who I am.

reply to post by NorEaster

Perhaps you are right. However though, I think I am at a stage of my life where my ideas are well explained and rationalized. I am 21, and in an intellectual field of work/study. Teens, for instance, have trouble with their beliefs because they are starting to "get it". Perhaps that is why teens are considered to be rebellious. The beliefs and ideas they once held they now have a different meaning to them because now they are starting to realize why they exist. For instance a teen growing up and starting to rebel against religion. Their parents forced religion upon them and religion forced ideas upon the teen. The teen did not come to religion; religion came to the teen quite forcibly.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Amazing the labels people put on people. If they want to label me something so what, but as long as its dangerous to me, or ruins my life why should i care? The labels are always wrong like above anyway, and people do not like it being wrong, but they are in my life.

What i meant to write is they can think what they want as long as other people are not a danger to me, or come near me because of who they think i am.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by fordrew

Perhaps you are right. However though, I think I am at a stage of my life where my ideas are well explained and rationalized. I am 21, and in an intellectual field of work/study. Teens, for instance, have trouble with their beliefs because they are starting to "get it". Perhaps that is why teens are considered to be rebellious. The beliefs and ideas they once held they now have a different meaning to them because now they are starting to realize why they exist. For instance a teen growing up and starting to rebel against religion. Their parents forced religion upon them and religion forced ideas upon the teen. The teen did not come to religion; religion came to the teen quite forcibly.

21 years old, eh? Well, maybe you really are too old to ever grow and learn now, but I'd keep an open mind about that if I were you anyway.

When I was 21, I wanted to be a legendary music industry disaster. I wanted to make the most spectacular mess that any star had ever made when they'd fallen back to the earth and cratered in open public. I used to say that I want to be assassinated - "Important people aren't murdered, not really, really important people. Those kinds of people are assassinated. I want to be assassinated. I want to go out huge and leave a big hole behind." That was me at age 21.

I'm 54 right now, and while I still enjoy tearing the living sh*t out of club stages and *ssholes that wander too close to me when I'm in a frisky mood, I'm a very different man than I was when I was 21. And I was pretty sure I was fully viable back then in my way of seeing the world. Hell, I was married and had been in the military for 2 years by then. I'd been on the streets and totally orphaned since I was 17. Not too many guys'd had as many miles under their wheels as I'd had by that age, so it wasn't as if I was still wet behind the ears.

After age 21, I still had a stretch of born-again Evangelical Christianity ahead of me, followed by a bitching coc aine bender and three record label deals, as well as two more marriages to thread within all of that before realizing that 'veI never had any idea which end of the stick had the sh*t slathered on it and which end was for holding onto. And the whole time, I thought I was all finished learning - and from moment to moment, while being surprised over and over again by how much I hadn't understood about the particular instant I'd just passed through and survived by the skin of my teeth. By all rights, I shouldn't be allowed to be alive anymore.

As it is now, I'm trying to understand a whole new world of possibilities, and knocking my head against people on this board to see what survives and what shattered with a little pressure and impact applied to it. I don't know. You may be a supergenius or something, but my guess is that you've got a f*ckload more developing to experience, and plenty of new ways to see yourself and the world around you. At least, if you're bright and willing to allow life to teach you a thing or two about what it is and what it has to offer.

I have friends who "know everything there is to know", and what they don't know "ain't worth knowing". Must be pretty great to have it all figured out, but I don't see the fun in being that secure in my knowledge of anything. I don't challenge people on this forum because I know everything. I challenge them hoping to force them to teach me something I really don't know.

I hope you still have a life full of discovering yourself ahead of you.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by fordrew

You are exactly what we all are: an INDIVIDUAL.
At the same time, you are what many of us are not: an individual that thinks for himself/herself.
There is nothing wrong with that. I believe we need more people like you. I am also the same way and we share many of the same views on religion and politics.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

I don't think my thoughts are always concrete. I proved myself wrong just today in this thread: www.abovetopsecret.com... . I thought that female stonemasons did not exist.

I think the last thing I would ever say in my life even on my deathbed is "I have learned everything that there is to learn in this world".

What I would say even on my deathbed, after obtaining my doctorate (easier said than done, I need to get my bachelors still !!!), is "I know nothing about this world".

but I still ask the question, do people always concretely fit in groups? Like agree with all the ideals of a certan group. i.e. Republican / Muslim / etc.
edit on 14-2-2011 by fordrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by fordrew

I have also used that video in one of my posts. My model of good and evil is far more complex that what most people understand. Most associate "evil" with pain, and "good" with "pleasure" - however, it is simply the force of sin (error/mistakes) that causes us to perceive a difference between pain and pleasure in the first place.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join