It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voynich Manuscript - Diary Of An Alien Or A Madman? 100 Years Older Than First Thought.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

that really weirded me out. obviously the pic you posted was done from a very high powered microscope. and the drawing is from 15th century. its eerily similar. that in itself has made me reassess what i was thinking earlier.
if someone had shown a magnified pic of a virus to someone back then, this is what they'd draw. can't explain any of this.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
its not hard to create a cryptic manuscript like this one. the author could have written the whole manuscript in his language, randomly switched each letter in each word, then create an a strange alphabet for each letter.

or he could have just made up the whole thing, which it appears he did. like j.r.r tolkien and his hobbit language and the people who made the klingon dictionary.

what else are you going to do in the 1400's. why not. it's probably the oldest science fiction book in existence.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
How beautiful. It is fun to try to I.D. the plants. One of them I am almost certain is mandrake.......

And one of the others calls to mind the Protea. But I do not think that is what is being portrayed...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/92b1018d2c52.png[/atsimg]

Yes. I see some things that could make one think of alchemy. The women in the baths or basins in the 'Pisces' image look like alchemical cipher.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I have read that in the known history of Alchemy and the search for the Stone that there were a lot of folks barking very hard up the wrong tree/s. They were sometimes referred to as 'puffers'. Maybe this came from one of the more industrious and slightly mad 'puffers'.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Its a puzzler for sure///but i gotta admit my good friend "crazy jack"(he really was) at times.produced a few similar looking books during his worst phases....
It was amazing to look at, and very complicated stuff.
But it only meant something to him.......

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Thill

nice!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
All of the other things, to me there is an explanation (crazy artist journal).

While neat. They don't really matter to me. The thing that is the most important to me was the Milky Way Spiral drawing.

I was starting to think that somebody might have tweaked the overlay to fit the pic.

Until I found the original.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/15354c24a3a0.jpg[/atsimg]

Michigan State University

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/717e1f84bd6f.jpg[/atsimg]

The enigma artist put OUR sun almost exactly in place. Well the drawing is mirrored 180 degrees. Turn it, and Walla!

I don't know how to explain it.

edit on 10-2-2011 by timewalker because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-2-2011 by timewalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I don't know the science behind this but some of the first images look like the proteins (or single cell organisms) that are so mechanical looking creationist use them to argue about intelligent design.

I have a feeling this guy was a seer and he has his own theories about the origin of man.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by OnceReturned

Originally posted by timewalker
In my eye's this is right up there with Da Vinci.

Perhaps the similarities are no coincidence:

The Voynich Manuscript may have been written by a young Leonardo da Vinci as evidenced by a similarity to Leonardo’s script and signature, an indication of mirror writing, and an astrological chart that corresponds to Leonardo’s birthday. Mistakes in the manuscript point to the possibility that a precocious child could have been the author.

Here is a short paper making the case that Da Vinci may have written the manuscript in his youth.

In 2009, University of Arizona researchers performed C14 dating on the manuscript's vellum, which they assert (with 95% confidence) was made between 1404 and 1438

Leonardo da Vinci was born in 1452.

Therefore, it seems unlikely in the extreme that this manuscripts has any relation at all to Leonardo da Vinci, seeing as he was born 14 years after the latest given dating of the manuscript.

Edit:

I just noticed that the dating was performed exclusively on the vellum the manuscript was written on, and not the actual writing itself.

It still seems pretty unlikely to me that the vellum was sitting around for 30+ years until Leo decided to pick it up and have a go

edit on 10/2/1111 by Monts because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I figured it out!!!!!!
This here is the very first elaborate scam and it was a dousy. 14,000 paid for it by a sucker they knew would eat it up.
300 gold ducats at that time was a rediculous amount of coin.

They hit the mother load with this thing.

These guys were very smart, academic types probably, who weren't taken seriously within their community.

They got the last laugh.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I belive I know where this book came from. You see hundreds of years ago my Elf Ranger PC and one of my party's Orc Rogue got into a fight with a wizard over a couple GPS. The wizard tried to cast fireball at us (he had to his book of spells out to do so) but before he could do so I redied an attack and hit him with my composite shortbow for -8 Hp defeating him instantly.
The Orc Rogue did pick the Wizard's pockets but apparently forgot about the book.

We were later TPK'd by a a couple hundred pit fiends..

Hmm...I wonder how many nerds out there know what I'm talking about and how many are completly confused.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Wow, thanks for posting this!! Ive never heard of it till your post. i just got done reading almost all of the wikipedia info on it... pretty cool, i love a good mystery

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Hmmmm...well, I just downloaded the manuscript and looked it over for a bit. Very odd, very interesting, and very confusing. It seems to be alien, considering all the plants that are not of this world, and no plants being of this world. All the descriptions are written in what looks like a latin based alphabet, but I came across a page, page 53 if you have it, that has dozens of different characters that are unrelated. Some look latin based, some look chinese based, some I don't see a base, and some just look like squiggly lines. I suppose they could be a numbering system, but the pages are numbered using todays standard positional numbering system so I really don't know. Then there are the pages that look like a calendar. And amazingly enough, its pretty damn close to our current calender. It starts with pisces, the pic in the OP, it has 29 pictures around the fish, two of which half overlap. I immediately thought of days and the leap year, but then upon looking closer, the word between the fish looks like "mars". I've come to believe this is the month and means March, pisces is mostly in march after all. The next one looks like a ram, aries? I was confused when it only had 15 figures around it, but then I noticed the next one also had the same ram, and 15 more figures, and the word below the ram....abiril. Next is another with two of the same animal and month, and honestly it looks like it straight up just says "may". The animal could easily be intended as a bull, and again, two 15 figure pictures total 30 figures. Next, a man and women...gemini....30 figures around them. It doesn't look like it says june but it's hard to read it at all. Then there's a rolled up page, I'm assuming cancer. Next page is also partially rolled with a lion and aug?? on it. Next, a woman, virgo, 30 figures. can't read the month. Next is scales, libra, 30 figures, looks like octebre. Next looks like a lizard, 30 figures, noveba, and the last is a guy with a crossbow, 30 figures and can't read the month. I really hope smart people have figured this much out already. It seems the it would be a good place to start trying to decode it. Anyway, I don't really know what to make of it all. An earth based writing system with earth months and days, yet descriptions of alien plant life and no signs of any plant life we know of. My brain hurts. I'm really convinced more than ever that this may have been a 14th or 15th century hoax, probably for some sort of profit, but who knows. I'm just gonna have to stick this one on the back-burner for a while and wait for a thread to pop up on here with something new about it. Good job getting me spend 2 hours of my life trying to figure out nothing.
S + F.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
It's The Doctor's journal

Sorry, couldn't resist. Having a Dr. Who marathon...

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reptius
I belive I know where this book came from. You see hundreds of years ago my Elf Ranger PC and one of my party's Orc Rogue got into a fight with a wizard over a couple GPS. The wizard tried to cast fireball at us (he had to his book of spells out to do so) but before he could do so I redied an attack and hit him with my composite shortbow for -8 Hp defeating him instantly.
The Orc Rogue did pick the Wizard's pockets but apparently forgot about the book.

We were later TPK'd by a a couple hundred pit fiends..

Hmm...I wonder how many nerds out there know what I'm talking about and how many are completly confused.

You mean something like this

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Really cool. I can`t see anyone putting down all this work of 240 pages just for a scam. Maybe its fantasy stuff o r true, but this book must have taken a few years to put together, including all the research of coding the words and doing the drawings. is there a site where we can see all of the book ?

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Wise men/women/aliens do not waste their time with 240 pages of information and diagrams so that a) everybody can read it or b) NOBODY can read it.

It is meant for the author , and whomever able to crack the code.

The more I hear about Da Vinci the more I consider the possibility HE 'came from above' .

Along with J.S Bach..and JC

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by OnceReturned

The possibility of Da Vinci being the writer has been out-ruled since he has not yet been born the time the book was completed, also if he were to write the book it would cost his parents large sums of money because of the materials used in the book in those days are expensive.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

No studies of this book shows that whoever made this book could be a very intelligent expert man. They studied the writings and found no corrections whatsoever in the words that are written so that means whoever created this must be an expert scribe. Also in some images in the manuscript depict a picture that can only be seen under a microscope which hasn't existed before this was written. Adds another mystery to the book.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
i don't think the unknown language isn't anything new. i remember a girl in my highschool who would write in her diary in her own language. the characters were totally unknown to me and it seemed that it couldn't be coded. she could read it perfectly too and my friend believed she was a witch or something haha. just think how easy it would be for you to create your own language. you could even make it more difficult to code by drawing aspects of your language from other languages that you know. imagine trying to decode a language with unknown characters that combined sentence structures from various different languages, some rarely spoken or almost extinct.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join