It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Blames Bank for Troop Suicides

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Congress Blames Bank for Troop Suicides

www.military.com

February 10, 2011
Military.com|by Bryant Jordan
Lawmakers argued Feb. 9 that some of the suicides among American troops in recent years were related to financial woes, including failure to meet mortgage payments.

And as far as Rep. Bob Filner, D-Calif., is concerned, those deaths are the fault of banks that put profits ahead of troop welfare.

"I would call it homicide," said Filner, the House Veterans Affairs Committee's ranking member, during a hearing into why JP Morgan-Chase overcharged servicemembers' on their mortgages and foreclosed on some troops' homes. The bank now adm
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
This is an interesting story with some thought provoking angles to it. Suicide watches, seminars, and base stand downs have become the norm in the past several years as the suicide rate for troops and veterans have risen dramatically during the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

While many believe the likely cause is delayed stress syndrome brought on from the psychological rigors of service life, time in combat zones, and multiple deployments, and perhaps even the dishonest nature of the wars that task some Americans to give their last full measure of devotion to God, Country and King, Congress is now stating the banks are to blame.

Indeed Bankers have likely surpassed car salespeople and attorneys as the people the average person is most likely to hate, and the dangers of the International Banking Cartel that’s looted the nation’s treasury and many others in their complicated debt schemes are perhaps the greatest threat we face to a quality life.

But as Congress contends are they really behind the high rate of suicides amongst the troops or is Congress just looking for a scapegoat that has nothing to do with the demands placed on our soldiers by the Government in what to many of us are wars for opium, oil and minerals that only heighten the likelihood of terrorist style reprisals and make us less safe instead of more?

It’s hard to get a straight answer out of politicians these days and any days, and harder still to get the Media to report something honestly or accurately and to truly investigate and crunch the raw numbers and present them without some editorialized spin designed to elicit a precise conclusion from their audience.

But here is the rub, if Service Members truly are committing suicide over mortgage woes caused by unscrupulous banks, what then is going on in the general public as it would seem this same predatory banking behavior would be causing civilians to commit suicide too.

So are we woefully absent statistics on civilian suicides and the full scope of the problem that the banks are causing, or is Congress just looking for a convenient scapegoat to explain away a whole lot of unhappy soldiers who after fighting the wars tasked of them, can’t easily bear living with what they have seen or done in them.

Interesting question to ponder, in these interesting and troubling times.

www.military.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

A most timely thread ProTrav...S&F

The easiest way for the "concerned Congress" to deal with this problem is end the damned wars, bring to soldiers home, then use the zillions we now spend to kill and destroy other countries citizens to create jobs rebuilding our own crumbling infrastructure. I guess that would be to easy.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by romanmel

Yeah but if you did that, you would be leaving American open to attack from islamo terror commufascists who hate your freedoms and hide under your bed with dirty bombs.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Well I think a lot of people would like to believe the best worst case scenario that our governments are just full of incompetent idiots who are incapable of common sense simple solutions that would be easy and effective.

However I tend to believe nothing happens by accident, that the government wants us all poor, scrambling to eek out sustinance, angry, and confused, and too divided and frightened to do what is happening in Egypt and other places.

Finding scape goats to cast the blame on is far to often what politics is all about. Where we seemingly have been conditioned to appreciate the villian they paint as the cause of the problem, instead of their own desire to cause problems through legistlation designed to create villians to blame it all on.

Rome in the 21st Century, as always a fun and madcap place to live.

Thanks for posting my friend.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Johnze

Yeah but if you did that, you would be leaving American open to attack from islamo terror commufascists who hate your freedoms and hide under your bed with dirty bombs.

Oh, yeah...forgot about that.
Never mind.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

This is mostly my fault, I know I should move my bed from time to time and sweep and mop all the dirt and dust that accumulates but whether it's fear of what boogie man who lurks under there or just out of sight out of mind laziness yeah, no doubt it's dirty under my bed, and any terrorist with a bomb hiding there is likely to get the bomb dirty!

As usual we have no one to blame but ourselves!

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Sounds like congress is trying to pass the buck on Troop suicide responsibility rather than own up to the fact that PTSD caused by over-zealous militaristic imperialism is the real issue.

Color me unsurprised, I highly doubt anyone is killing themselves over mortgage woes(ability to support family alone); typically people, especially those who have been put through the military aren't so easily beaten down. PTSD and poor care for the vets exploited by the military industrial complex is the problem.
edit on 2/10/2011 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
wow kettle meet pot....

really!!! .....congress, the same people that sent the soldiers to fight an unjust multiple front war, on the other side of the planet, to protect the best interests of the Banks WOW

that's like pushing someone out of a plane without a parachute and blaming gravity for their death
....my scale for unbelievable changes with everyday

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

How would bringing our troops home and stopping these wars put us in harms way, do you think by attacking other countries that makes us safer somehow?

Seems to me by attacking these countries it makes them want to harm us all the more.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra
Sounds like congress is trying to pass the buck on Troop suicide responsibility rather than own up to the fact that PTSD caused by over-zealous militaristic imperialism is the real issue.

Color me unsurprised, I highly doubt anyone is killing themselves over mortgage woes(ability to support family alone); typically people, especially those who have been put through the military aren't so easily beaten down. PTSD and poor care for the vets exploited by the military industrial complex is the problem.
edit on 2/10/2011 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

Here is an interesting question, did JP Morgan Chase one of the dominant players in the bank mergers caused by the TARP Bailouts deliberately conspire to not apply the right interest rates to troops qualifying for discounts simply to provide some kind of propaganda reason as to why so many troops aren't killing themselves because of the service they were tasked to perform for their country, but over everyday things that effect normal Americans in our country?

That's the real million dollar question, and when you consider the nature of the bankers and our government and how they so often work hand in hand to each other's mutual benefit, it's a very valid question too.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Homicide when it's soldiers, but what about when it's just regular folks doing themselves in because nothing they do can save their homes/families from the same ruin? Oh, that's right, that's just businessssssssssssss.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
This does not explain why soldiers have a higher suicide rate than the average public. Seems like the congress has lied so much over the years that now they can't even tell what the truth looks like. I'm not here to defend the banks but to blame this all on them and go as far as calling it "homicide" is simply dishonest.

IMO Soldiers see the real side of battle that the MSM cameras try to hide. They're exposed to the real impact of the corporate military greed and as a result their souls become damaged( aka PTSD) and their pain becomes too overwhelming to handle.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

Exactly!

This is a total side step. Don't blame the CFR/Trilateral globalists who control our entire foreign policy. Blame it on the banks, or blame it on the president that these globalists change every 4-8 years.

These globalists know that we're waking up and getting onto them and trying to throw anything they can out to keep people from coming after them!

There day will come. We have to get these globalists out of our government and return to sanity!!!!

I'm a disabled vet and I see a clear domestic enemy of the constitution which I swore to protect. See Rockerfeller's quote in my signature. They openly admit they are working against us!

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Anything is possible, but...

Even if they could accurately predict how many soldiers come back with PTSD to exacerbate their psychological state, could they have reliably predicted the suicide rate accurately enough for the move to be a worthwhile one?

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra

Anything is possible, but...

Even if they could accurately predict how many soldiers come back with PTSD to exacerbate their psychological state, could they have reliably predicted the suicide rate accurately enough for the move to be a worthwhile one?

It's been trending upward for years, so yes, it is something that the propaganda arm might have considered.

When you consider JP Morgan Chase probably benefited the most in the TARP Scheme they certainly would be the ones who the Federal Reserve could ask the favor of.

When it comes to the pure malicious cunning of the Shadow Government and there love of math and numbers, I sure would not put anything past them.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by romanmel

Oh, yeah...forgot about that.
Never mind.

Yeah he does kind of have a point with the terrorism under one's bed and all.

This is all still a sensationalist PR show.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

PTSD does play a role but financial devastation also plays a role. Adultery is a major factor in some of the cases.

Combine all of these together and you have a recipe for disaster.

There are ways to help alleviate these factors.

1. The VA should have a blacklist of banks whom they will not certify home loans through without stringent agreements in writing.

2. The DoD could sue the banks that take advantage of service members.

3. Spouses who commit adultery should face harsh legal consequences. If the service member is deployed overseas, any money and property taken should be counted as theft and larceny. Children taken should be considered kidnapping. The person the spouse is having the affair with should be charged as an accessory and complicit in any criminal acts involving the spouse.

4. The VA needs to hire more people to handle the massive flow of paperwork. The paperwork flow is one of the main reasons there are issues getting people the help they need.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

3. Spouses who commit adultery should face harsh legal consequences. If the service member is deployed overseas, any money and property taken should be counted as theft and larceny. Children taken should be considered kidnapping. The person the spouse is having the affair with should be charged as an accessory and complicit in any criminal acts involving the spouse.

This sounds like some kind of bizarre religious type law.

It basically would make a slave of, the spouse to the soldier.

How about we do it Rome's way.

All soldiers must be single.

All soldiers must be land owners.

This will greatly reduce the ranks of our army, and with far fewer troops to deploy the pentagon will have to rethink just where and how it wants to carry out military endeavors.

The soldiers who are in the service as single landed men of some means, won't be so keen to go off on adventurs for oil, opium,and minerals unless they are getting a fair share of the spoils, and well with a fair share of the spoils they can buy a new woman and rent my kids as long as they want them.

Either way it works out much better for all of us.

If we are going to return to traditional values lets return a couple thousand years to where those values really started.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Actually I would support an all single military, like the Romans. It makes sense.

Land doesn't really work the way it did back then though as I'm sure you are aware of allodial titles and such do not exist for the most part in the US.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join