It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

where to hide/disappear?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by rubbertramp
reply to post by archasama

but what if everything was taken by eminent domain?
or possibly contaminated or poisoned?
that water wouldn't be worth a damn if undrinkable.
agree for the most part though, my 40 acres has 5 springs, one of them warm, 2 wells and a small pond.
i can hit good water within 5-8 feet with a shovel.

Eminent domain - not in my country. At least not for now.

Also I can't think of any ways that water here could be poisoned and/or contaminated. If only someone does it purposely. And who would do that? No strategic military objects around that might be bombed with nukes.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by archasama

but what if everything was taken by eminent domain?
or possibly contaminated or poisoned?
that water wouldn't be worth a damn if undrinkable.
agree for the most part though, my 40 acres has 5 springs, one of them warm, 2 wells and a small pond.
i can hit good water within 5-8 feet with a shovel.

Eminent domain - not in my country. At least not for now.

Also I can't think of any ways that water here could be poisoned and/or contaminated. If only someone does it purposely. And who would do that? No strategic military objects around that might be bombed with nukes.

completely understand, but this thread is kinda' a 'what if' scenario.
what if you were forced to leave. what is the next step?
i'd love to think that i'm safe on my own land, yet cannot ignore the possibilities.
also wondering what country?

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by bargoose

I'm in the South Wales valleys and your plan sounds far better than mine... room for a little one?

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

I agree - both tough and rough!

However, it's possibly the only option considering my locale - I'd imagine that anywhere more "permanent" would be a haven for the masses in a "must hide" situation.

Luckily, the surrounding forestry is very much sheltered, rather than a wilderness - if that makes sense. I also had the good fortune to spend my formative years there, having multiple adventures and building my knowledge. Obviously nowhere near the level I'd need to support myself in a survival scenario (so I have MUCH upskilling to get on with), but at least a little more knowledge that most people in such an environment.

I like the sound of your set up! TBH I've always found the entire "living in a house" thing somewhat unnerving - despite never living in anything else. And yet, the lack of freedom, self-containment and knowledge that in any SHTF scenario all my required gear is stuck in the house, nags me every day.

I'd like to get to a point similar to yourself, where I have a little more freedom of movement and with it, a little more preparedness for when I need to run for the hills...

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by seedofchucky
i would go to cottage area by a lake. Set up my booby traps . eat fish. live in an abadandoned structure . get a bear put him on a leesh and make him my bestfriend/bodyguard .

Sounds like as good a plan as any. I suggest getting the bear first. It take years to train them. And never let it get hungry.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by bargoose

yeh i was thinkin snowdonia national park or round them ways, depends why fleeing if its an invasion or somethin from the south my ass is headin north to bonny scotland

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I always wanted to visit the 4 corners area.The san luis valley is full of mysteries.The places you have been and things you must of have seen are fantastic.It is beautiful out there.I have traveled the west extensively but never been to the 4 corners

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

I have 2 quality dogs i can offer to the team,sisters from the same litter,they think exactly alike,can add protection and have excellent tracking skills.They are pure muscle at 100 lbs a piece.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I can't imagine a scenario that would make it better for me to bug out rather than stay put, but if for some reason I did, I'd head for the coast of British Columbia. Being in Alberta, it's a fair distance away but with proper prepping I could take enough fuel to not have to stop on the way.
To me,it offers the things I'd really be looking for in a pure survival situation-fairly temperate climate, lots of wood for fuel, food from the sea and land, good climate for growing things etc. Also, lots of room so shouldn't have to deal with large crowds of people. The hunting is great and fishing too, so I should be able to put up a good supply of food. Whatever I can't hunt or catch I should be able to grow. All in all, pretty ideal for me. The Okanagon valle ywould be pretty sweet too I guess, less fishing but great growing season.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

completely understand, but this thread is kinda' a 'what if' scenario.
what if you were forced to leave. what is the next step?
i'd love to think that i'm safe on my own land, yet cannot ignore the possibilities.
also wondering what country?

I understand. But I see many people whose first step when shtf is to run somewhere when maybe it is not the best thing to do.

So what if... I was forced out of my property. I guess I would take a boat as I live very close to a river and, as it is safer to be on water than on open field, I'd search for a place that is suitable for hiding/disappearing. A forest maybe - even more further from populated places. I'd start a guerrilla squad there. And armed with bows arrows and spears reconquer my lands.

My country is Latvia as it says in my profile info.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by archasama
1) From what do you plan on hiding from? Roaming gangs?
2) I hope you do not plan on running away from something and hiding somewhere all by yourself? As it is much easier to survive if you are part of small group. Are you a lone wolf by nature?
3) Factors to consider when choosing a place where hide/disappear or just settle:
1. Is there a source of drinking water. Fresh, clean drinking water that doesn't dry in a summer.
2. Food. Is there animals to hunt, fish to catch. Are there edible plants, fruits. Is the soil good for agriculture.
3. Climate. Not to humid, not too dry. Not too cold, not too hot. Because you wouldn't want to find your self spending all your energy searching for firewood just because the place where you live is too cold. And if you go to hide in a dessert you would face the opposite, always trying not to bake in the sun.
4. Safety. Well of course you shouldn't choose an open field, especially near roads, if you do not have heavy firepower. I'd prefer a clear cut or preferably a meadow in the middle of a forest - maybe near river or lake. If the hiding factor is that important to you. Because by hiding, obviously you decrease the need for fighting, for weapons, for a group. And vice versa.

Well anyways I'm no expert in these kind of things. Just expressing myself.

1) Hell yeah - roving bands of zombie-esque obama-bots looking to fill the void left after their foodstamps stop.. you bet you'd be hiding!
2) In a true SHTF scenario, trust issues become a MAJOR concern. Unless you're already part of a tight-knit community in which each individual's survival needs depend on the group as a whole, things can and probably will quickly degenerate into paranoid resource hoarding mania.. Hollywood, for all its problems, portrays this aspect of human nature quite well - I don't trust any of my neighbors
3) Location is not everything - good preparedness mentality results in the ability to adapt to your environment no matter where find yourself. It's mentality and mindset, not skills, comfort level or abundance of resources, that make the biggest difference in a survival situation. You can survive practically anywhere, with minimal skills and foreknowledge of the area, when it comes right down to it. Of course, those things certainly help make it more bearable. Also, who's to say the plan must be to find a particular place and sit-tight. Becoming nomadic is often the most effective survival plan, particularly when detection by black helicopters and/or roving bands of obama-bots are a threat.
4) Agreed

btw - I'm new here. Grew up in the forests of central New Hampshire and currently do the full-time RV thing (mobility is key). Didn't really understand why survival was so important when I used to read those Tom Brown Jr books and study wild edibles as a kid, but over the last 10 years I've slowly caught on.

Spent some time recently out in the ABQ area and was horrified - I know nothing about survival in a "barren" place like that.. Between that and the horrible job situation, I high-tailed it back to Florida where at least I know enough to find north when "it" goes down

OP is a braver man than I

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I live just south of the Grand Canyon.

If you can't get lost there something is wrong. Plenty of water, game and natural resources.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Already got everything need and self-sufficient out here in the jungle in s.e asia..

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

ok, here's the scenario.
the s has htf, you have no choice but to flee with nothing but your bugout bag.
as a traveller i'd say that regarding food and ease of being completely self sufficient, that the equatorial jungles of the world would be one of the easiest places to disappear and survive.
lots of food, lots of cover etc...
now, considering the fact that i am undoubtedly not going to flee the country and have no doubt that i will go down with the ship, i think my next best place would be the canyon country. southern utah most likely. i've spent many years exploring and know of many areas i could go. food and water could be an issue, yet i still feel that it would be my best bet.
in the past i've considered places like the bob marshal or frank church, but it would be really tough to do a winter on foot.
any places come to mind for you?
if it came down to you not being able to stay home, where would be your first choice?

I'm currently living not far from the equatorial zones and let me tell you it's no bed of roses bugging out there.
They are some of the most hostile for bugs and poisonous creatures like malaria and the like, even in the highlands.

Living in the outdoors is no fun at all at night-time when an air-force of mosquito's launches an attack.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
Already got everything need and self-sufficient out here in the jungle in s.e asia..

Nice one, are you in Siam by any chance?

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by WatchRider

Originally posted by Expat888

Nice one, are you in Siam by any chance?

Am in the vietnam/laos/cambodia border region ... Nearest community is a hmong village a days walk from me.. Visited siam a number of times over the years.. Yep not recommended to play with the animals here .. Had a villager get attacked by a tiger couple months ago ( rare but it does happen ) also have things like dengue fever, chikungunya , malaria as you mention in prev post. Not to mention monsoon season .. Nature makes some great natural defences ..
edit on 22-2-2011 by Expat888 because: Gremlins...

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I have the dubious distinction of saying I have taken and passed a military winter survival course to know what it takes to survive ... and after living most of my life in Alaska I know what to do.
edit on 11/03/2008 by Skydancer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

hmmm for me, a Brit, I'd head to the lakes or one of the many woods around my area. I'd travel around a lot making camp as I went, brush it over when I left so it looked abandoned in case I need to come back at any time. Always make sure I was near cover and water. As for food, depending on the type of scenario proliferation in the populations of vermin / cats etc in urban areas would make good hunting grounds. The main advantage is also the main disadvantage in the UK, being pretty close to urban areas at all times (unless you head to the highlands!) so food wouldn't be a massive problem, just making sure not to leave any trails back to my camp.

I guess going for the nomadic life style, always moving, always camp in cover, hunker down in the day, travel in dusk and dawn and sleep at night. Originally when I got into this whole survival thing I was thinking on building a shelter, akin the ambush shelters used in 'nam. say a couple foot deep with shrubbery on top so it blends in and scatter seeds / traps around the area for food. Spending the days on the hunt or exploring / hunting down other survivors! it Could be quite cosey really!

I guess the only real way I'll know is if / when it happens! until then though I'll certainly enjoy my camping time and learning new skills in the process!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

ok, here's the scenario.
the s has htf, you have no choice but to flee with nothing but your bugout bag.
as a traveller i'd say that regarding food and ease of being completely self sufficient, that the equatorial jungles of the world would be one of the easiest places to disappear and survive.
lots of food, lots of cover etc...
now, considering the fact that i am undoubtedly not going to flee the country and have no doubt that i will go down with the ship, i think my next best place would be the canyon country. southern utah most likely. i've spent many years exploring and know of many areas i could go. food and water could be an issue, yet i still feel that it would be my best bet.
in the past i've considered places like the bob marshal or frank church, but it would be really tough to do a winter on foot.
any places come to mind for you?
if it came down to you not being able to stay home, where would be your first choice?

the place me and my gsurvival group will go is a nice open area, plently of spots for us to hide our snipers and watch for people trying to take over, we also have stuff we can use for growing food

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
My situation is a little different, and so are my back up plans for the "SHTF" scenario. i live next door to an arsenal, so i imagine they would march out of their gate and implement martial law or it gets attacked. either way my first stop would be the wal-mart down the road.. maybe borrow one of the trucks that hasn't unloaded yet?

hopefully it would be the one with the camping gear and food together lol. while my dad goes out and finds a tanker truck with gasoline. we take the trucks and the women and children ride in the suburban 3500 4x4 and we hightale south to where my grandfather owns acreage with a nice little river and lots of woods. once there we can unload the walmart truck, and make the trailer into a hide/ shelter. but so far that would be my HYPOTHETICAL plan for the first 30 minutes of the s hitting the f

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join