It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

where to hide/disappear?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
ok, here's the scenario.
the s has htf, you have no choice but to flee with nothing but your bugout bag.
as a traveller i'd say that regarding food and ease of being completely self sufficient, that the equatorial jungles of the world would be one of the easiest places to disappear and survive.
lots of food, lots of cover etc...
now, considering the fact that i am undoubtedly not going to flee the country and have no doubt that i will go down with the ship, i think my next best place would be the canyon country. southern utah most likely. i've spent many years exploring and know of many areas i could go. food and water could be an issue, yet i still feel that it would be my best bet.
in the past i've considered places like the bob marshal or frank church, but it would be really tough to do a winter on foot.
any places come to mind for you?
if it came down to you not being able to stay home, where would be your first choice?

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
i would go to cottage area by a lake. Set up my booby traps . eat fish. live in an abadandoned structure . get a bear put him on a leesh and make him my bestfriend/bodyguard .

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

It would be the forest for me. I'm fortunate to live in rural surroundings - lots of forestry and mountains.

I've already provisionally located my convenient little clearing (paranoid? Moi?
) that's suitably hidden, yet close to a stream and within range of multiple natural food sources.

Once I finish pulling my bag together, the next thing on my list is to get an off road motorbike so I can check it out properly and of course get there FAST when the SHTF.
edit on 9/2/11 by lizziejayne because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Any place near fresh water is great.Dig out a huge hole and shore it up with wood.Create a fake roof so nobody can see you.Underground cave systems are also great dwelling spots,but i would be afraid to venture there due to the large population of bigfoot residing in our cave systems throughout the country.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by seedofchucky
i would go to cottage area by a lake. Set up my booby traps . eat fish. live in an abadandoned structure . get a bear put him on a leesh and make him my bestfriend/bodyguard .

i'd be a bit fearful of an area like that. you and a kazillion other are most likely thinking the same.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
1) From what do you plan on hiding from? Roaming gangs?
2) I hope you do not plan on running away from something and hiding somewhere all by yourself? As it is much easier to survive if you are part of small group. Are you a lone wolf by nature?
3) Factors to consider when choosing a place where hide/disappear or just settle:
1. Is there a source of drinking water. Fresh, clean drinking water that doesn't dry in a summer.
2. Food. Is there animals to hunt, fish to catch. Are there edible plants, fruits. Is the soil good for agriculture.
3. Climate. Not to humid, not too dry. Not too cold, not too hot. Because you wouldn't want to find your self spending all your energy searching for firewood just because the place where you live is too cold. And if you go to hide in a dessert you would face the opposite, always trying not to bake in the sun.
4. Safety. Well of course you shouldn't choose an open field, especially near roads, if you do not have heavy firepower. I'd prefer a clear cut or preferably a meadow in the middle of a forest - maybe near river or lake. If the hiding factor is that important to you. Because by hiding, obviously you decrease the need for fighting, for weapons, for a group. And vice versa.

Well anyways I'm no expert in these kind of things. Just expressing myself.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by lizziejayne
reply to post by rubbertramp

It would be the forest for me. I'm fortunate to live in rural surroundings - lots of forestry and mountains.

I've already provisionally located my convenient little clearing (paranoid? Moi?
) that's suitably hidden, yet close to a stream and within range of multiple natural food sources.

Once I finish pulling my bag together, the next thing on my list is to get an off road motorbike so I can check it out properly and of course get there FAST when the SHTF.
edit on 9/2/11 by lizziejayne because: (no reason given)

makes it sound like tough winter when i hear of forest and mountains.
been in the woods most of my life, have played the mountain man role, like wintering in the bob marshal.
believe me when i say that it is rough. doable, but rough.
am i under the wrong impression for the area you mentioned?

funny bout' the motorbike.
once forced to leave my 40 acres of new mexico, i then utilize my 20 foot chevy r.v.
live in it on the road most of the year anyhow, hence my handle, but i'm completely self contained.
solar, xtra batts, power and tools to build whatever needed etc.......
on the back is an old honda enduro bike. my next step before going out on foot.
yea, i know, slim chance of all that, but it's how my mind works.
more likely to be running from black helicopters with a jug of water and my knife, yet..........................

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by brindle
Any place near fresh water is great.Dig out a huge hole and shore it up with wood.Create a fake roof so nobody can see you.Underground cave systems are also great dwelling spots,but i would be afraid to venture there due to the large population of bigfoot residing in our cave systems throughout the country.

this is one of the reasons i love the canyon country. back in the escalante maybe.
anyhow, i've actually lived in old anasazi ruins, perfect situations, they really did know what they were doing.
caves for miles, navajo friends have showed my systems where there are still stockpiles of anasazi maize and frijoles. pretty incredible what is common secret knowledge to them and a mind blowing experience for me.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by archasama
1) From what do you plan on hiding from? Roaming gangs?

Well anyways I'm no expert in these kind of things. Just expressing myself.

yes, all worthy of the discussion and hinted to already.
as far as your question, i'm not sure, anyone who wants to remove the rest of my freedom to live.
at some point i do think america will experience much violence, but like i mentioned, i'm already in the woods.
i have no doubt that urban america will collapse first.
i also picture an exodus from the cities into my woods and desert.
maybe i'll be hiding from the seriously unprepared who want my stuff.

edit on 9-2-2011 by rubbertramp because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by rubbertramp

Originally posted by seedofchucky

i'd be a bit fearful of an area like that. you and a kazillion other are most likely thinking the same.

at that point im sure you have a whole new level of fear . living alone in the woods . n an abdandoned structure. and if anyone comes close you have your trusty bear the bodyguard ! Nobody wants to fight a bear .

Of course the bear will be on a leash the whole time so it doesnt eat meh loool . and of course the bobby traps .

Yea your not getting near my base without a small army thats for sure . After the bear is to old i will eat the bear store his food and feed it to the new bear bodyguard/bestfriend

Yea you wanna live with me pal if shait hits the fan ! Gotta do what you gotta do to surive . night times we go out covert operations to military bases and try and aquire some weapons ftw

or maybe live with these guys

edit on 9-2-2011 by seedofchucky because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

lol, yea, in many ways we do think the same.
except for the bear part.
i am blessed with an incredible dog though.
it's very difficult to fool her or get within a half mile or better.
do you think they'd get along?

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Anyway if you'd ask me if I'd run away from my fertile land, fresh water well and my house that's heated by firewood.

I'd say hell no because here I have better chance of survival than in the middle of a forest.

Also I'd try to organize community as I live in a place where almost everyone knows each other. Try to get a system working. Food supply, militia, school, hospital. Lots of fertile land, lots of fresh water and population density is not big. Dealing with city folks? Well it's not like they will berserk all at once. They will maybe have same trading goods and they may be used as cheap labor. Who knows.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

this is one of the reasons i love the canyon country. back in the escalante maybe.
anyhow, i've actually lived in old anasazi ruins, perfect situations, they really did know what they were doing.
caves for miles, navajo friends have showed my systems where there are still stockpiles of anasazi maize and frijoles. pretty incredible what is common secret knowledge to them and a mind blowing experience for me.
Clearly you would be successful at surviving ,i want to be part of your tribe

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

just noticed the vid you added, only got a minute into it, but had to laugh.
i've known about steve for years, used to listen to him and hawk on shortwave till he sold out and went satellite.
gotta' be the same guy, will watch the rest.

steve's world

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

lol, yea, in many ways we do think the same.
except for the bear part.
i am blessed with an incredible dog though.
it's very difficult to fool her or get within a half mile or better.
do you think they'd get along?

lol don't get to attached to it in diaster hide time lool . Yea i think by accident my bear might eat him .

im not sure about the dogs though. I've seen some instances where the toughest dogs give up ther guard for a peaice of meat. I know this because i have tried it in my youth when i was a bad boy. But i wont get into the details of that . But it was illegal , and there was a guard dog that was mean to everyone untill you give him some food he shut up ate it then started being a guard dog again lol.

hmm the bear might do the same come to think of it lool .

command : BEAR ATTACK

bear: RAWR

robber: *throws steak at bear*

bear: yummmm yumm yumm...

dog_ joins bear ....

yea the animls will be our meat shields . Our real defence is our booby traps and military guns and explosives we "borrowed"

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by archasama

but what if everything was taken by eminent domain?
or possibly contaminated or poisoned?
that water wouldn't be worth a damn if undrinkable.
agree for the most part though, my 40 acres has 5 springs, one of them warm, 2 wells and a small pond.
i can hit good water within 5-8 feet with a shovel.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
If I absolutely had to bug out (and I would hate to have to) I think we'd head north to the Boundary Waters area or Voyageur's National park or some such area. I think it's like a 6 to 7 hr drive so on foot? Not a fun scenario. In the winter? Freakin' cold. It would be like having to live like the native americans I guess. My hubby would love it of course...

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Myself and two friends have planned for this possible scenario. We have the grab bags,We will head well away from towns aand cities. We are thinking of rural mid wales, where we will select a remote, uninhabited church for shelter. They are built of stone, are uninhabited
and would offer good solid protection. We have knowledge of what plants are edible in the wild, one of us is a fisherman. Most violent, dim witted types will cling to the towns and cities. These would become very dangerous places to linger.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Clearly you would be successful at surviving ,i want to be part of your tribe

come on in. there's so much i could discuss regarding just this one aspect of the southwest.
many really don't realize that the basis of this discussion is a way of life for many.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenofsheba
If I absolutely had to bug out (and I would hate to have to) I think we'd head north to the Boundary Waters area or Voyageur's National park or some such area. I think it's like a 6 to 7 hr drive so on foot? Not a fun scenario. In the winter? Freakin' cold. It would be like having to live like the native americans I guess. My hubby would love it of course...

imo, great choice, bring a jacket and a bucket of bug repellent. swarms almost as bad as alaska.
state bird, the mosquito.
another thought of mine has always been waterton/glacier area.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join