It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WHY is eating ~PORK~ bad for me?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
God never 'told me not to eat pork'
The Bible is written by MEN...........and re written over and over then edited again...

really?

then how did these MEN understand that certain foods were dangerous long before MANKIND knew anything about parasites and food poisonings?

how did MEN understand that leprosy could be contracted through contaminated clothes thousands of years before germs were discovered?

how did MEN understand that human waste had to be disposed of correctly to avoid getting sick when certain cultures of the time (egyptians) were useing human waste in their medicines?

you are quick to claim the bible was written by MEN. but you dont acknowledge the evidence to the contrary

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Warpspeed
It is really interesting, but early man knew nothing of biochemistry, or the causes of disease, or what could harm him. But certain basic eating rules supposed to be handed down from God make perfect sense with todays knowledge.

I think this is solid evidence for the supernatural revelation of scripture. Medical Doctors were killing patients by the thousands until after 1910 or so because they did not wash their hands moving from patient to patient. They would deliver babies after handling dead bodies. They laughed at Dr Joseph Lister when he suggested they wash their hands and ignored him, until a study was done and the mortality rate dropped by a significant percentage.

Opposition was great In England and the United States mainly against Lister's germ theory rather than against his "carbolic treatment." Edinburgh was regarded as a provincial centre, despite the ancient fame of its medical school. Surgeons were prepared to await for clear proof that antisepsis constituted a major advance. Lister knew that before the usefulness of his work would be generally accepted he must convince London.
web.ukonline.co.uk...

The book of Leviticus advised to wash your hands after contact with any sort of wound or cut and to bathe after contact with dead bodies or bodily fluids etc. There was no knowledge of bacteria or infection until almost 3000 years later. God did this to make his chosen people healthier and stronger than their pagan adversaries.

Leviticus 17:15
" 'Anyone, whether native-born or alien, who eats anything found dead or torn by wild animals must wash his clothes and bathe with water, and he will be ceremonially unclean till evening; then he will be clean."
Leviticus 15:4-6
4 " 'Any bed the man with a discharge lies on will be unclean, and anything he sits on will be unclean. 5 Anyone who touches his bed must wash his clothes and bathe with water, and he will be unclean till evening. 6 Whoever sits on anything that the man with a discharge sat on must wash his clothes and bathe with water, and he will be unclean till evening.

This is clear evidence of divine inspiration.

[edit on 11/18/2008 by Bigwhammy]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Thanks you all for answering me! this turned out to be a very good read

I am a chef.....I love pork... I cook it VERY well. My favorite method of all is the ROAST the WHOLE pig in the ground tecnique OH YUMMY YUMMY!

Anyway, thanks for all this good info...NOW I 'get' Kosher.
yum spammity spam!

I never saw this thread from way back in '04,

But cooking a hog in the ground, HELL YEAH!!!!

If you will look at a hog's eye, it is very close to a human, also hog heart valves are used in humans. Just thought ya'll would like to know.

Roper

PS have you ever took a pork roast and cooked it in sauerkraut? With fluffy dumplings????

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
For a really interesting anthropological perspective on dietary laws, check out Mary Douglas.

Mary Douglas is best known for her interpretation of the book of Leviticus, and for her role in creating the cultural theory of risk.

In Purity and Danger, Douglas first proposed that the kosher laws were not, as many believed, either primitive health regulations or randomly chosen as tests of Jews' commitment to God. Instead, Douglas argued that the laws were about symbolic boundary-maintenance. Prohibited foods were those which did not seem to fall neatly into any category. For example, pigs' place in the natural order was ambiguous because they shared the cloven hoof of the ungulates, but did not chew cud.

Later in a 2002 preface to Purity and Danger, Douglas went on to retract her initial explanation of the kosher rules, saying that it had been "a major mistake." Instead, she proposed that "the dietary laws intricately model the body and the altar upon one another" as of land animals, Israelites were only allowed to eat animals which were also allowed to be sacrificed; these animals which depend on the herdsmen. Thus, Douglas concludes that the animals which are abominable to eat are not in fact impure, as the "rational, just, compassionate God of the Bible would [never] have been so inconsistent as to make abominable creatures."

I'm disappointed to find that she retracted her original explanation of kosher rules, because I thought it was brilliantly insightful, but the idea that they tie the nourishment of the body to the worship at the altar is pretty appealing too

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by miriam0566
then how did these MEN understand that certain foods were dangerous long before MANKIND knew anything about parasites and food poisonings?

I think the most obvious answer would be OBSERVATION..........cause and effect.....

how did MEN understand that leprosy could be contracted through contaminated clothes thousands of years before germs were discovered?

once again observation. Many illnesses are contracted and many cultures avoid the sick people and the things they touched.....no need for a booming voice from the sky for this.

how did MEN understand that human waste had to be disposed of correctly to avoid getting sick when certain cultures of the time (egyptians) were useing human waste in their medicines?

......now I am wondering where you get the information on the Egyptians doing this in medicines? was this written in hieroglyphics?.....I know of hyroglyphics in Egypt deciphered to show the practice of cold pressing plants for the extraction of unadulterated pure essential oils as medicine (no pee added)
...I would really think that any slave race is suspicious of what the master race has in store for them.....as well as good old observation, being witness to cause and effect. Could be the good medicine was not given to the slaves and they were actually given 'crap meds' pardon the pun. Though I have not seen anything written on this topic, but I could have missed something in my studies so far.

you are quick to claim the bible was written by MEN. but you dont acknowledge the evidence to the contrary

now your just making assumptions. I am not ignoring evidence that I can not locate or see...........I do see the commonalities between what is written in the biblical texts and in the dead sea scrolls and the torrah....but also these records were kept around the same time relatively, by pretty closely tied cultures in the same area of the planet. A thinking person would be willing to acknowledge that both could easily be based on the same passed down stories and beliefs.....the fact they share much of the same info is good evidence that it was a wide spread belief......it is NOT evidence of the Divine.
Please point me to the 'direct writings from God'.....and NOT something passed on secondhand.
I believe it is a FACT that all of these old writings are KNOWN to have been written by MEN and woman.

Many schizophrenics claim to hear the voice of God in their head, and with todays medical knowledge we know this to be mental illness. Way way way back in THE DAY, could very well be schizophrenics were held in very high esteem and had followers writing down these 'words from God'.......this happens even in todays modern society. Just take a look at Jim Jones and the events at the Waco compound......even currently the followers of Warren Jeffs wrote down vast amounts of what came out of his mouth and tagged it with "these ARE the words of God'.........
I would bet, that a couple thousand years into the future there will be to people just like us......one like me questioning the true validity of these writings of God, (via Warren Jeffs as an example).......and then someone like you, who will argue to the very grave that it is purely divine inspiration directly from God, as this is what was taught them over and over by well meaning parents, because they were taught this.......and I bet they come to no better compromise than we do, as there are ALWAYS zealot believers in any given religious teaching, as well as those who see something wrong in blindly following because IT IS WRITTEN ~[somewhere]~

[edit on 19-11-2008 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bigwhammy

Originally posted by Warpspeed
It is really interesting, but early man knew nothing of biochemistry, or the causes of disease, or what could harm him. But certain basic eating rules supposed to be handed down from God make perfect sense with todays knowledge.

I think this is solid evidence for the supernatural revelation of scripture. Medical Doctors were killing patients by the thousands until after 1910 or so because they did not wash their hands moving from patient to patient.

I think this evidence is just AS STRONG that there were much more knowledgeable civilizations PRIOR to the rise of our currant one, who was sharing knowledge with the younger cultures somehow......
Look at all the ancient Indian texts talking about flying ships and bombs described as 'nuclear in nature'..............there is PHYSICAL evidence on the planet for a great seafaring culture across the entire planet.....there is hieroglyphic evidance of craft that flew in the air.....now wouldn't it be just as LIKELY that these people knew about microbes and germs and the spread of disease, and they shared this knowledge, than having it come about in a magical way as some disembodied voices??

Roper we should throw a pig roast party, Im tellin ya......

You know........... I wrote this thread looking for SOLID ANSWERS that were not being tossed about wrapped up in some kind of religious belief package....
Seems like most people find it impossible to separate dogma from old fashioned practicality.

North American Natives were a much cleaner culture than the invading white man who came wielding The Bible as a weapon

.............................just sayin.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   

You know........... I wrote this thread looking for SOLID ANSWERS that were not being tossed about wrapped up in some kind of religious belief package....
Seems like most people find it impossible to separate dogma from old fashioned practicality.

Well this is in the Faith forum- not the science forum. Therefore, your replies will most likely come in from religious people who bring in a religious perspective suited to a religious forum.

In your defense, the faith forum might not have existed at the time this was posted in 2004 and your thread could have been moved here. However, in their defense, the three religious posts you may have issues with are recent. They made a faith based reply in the faith forum.

If you're looking for a scientific answer, then it's as someone else said- trichinosis. Not to mention high cholesterol levels.

[edit on 11/19/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   

I believe it is a FACT that all of these old writings are KNOWN to have been written by MEN and woman.

yes, but the bible claims to be inspired of god.

you make this claim that this is evidence that people knew more back then than we originally thought. could be true, but unlikely. the known medical practices were not known to be practical and was more spiritualistic than physical.

so what you are claiming is that moses, who lived and grew up in a superstitious culture, was able to formulate a practical technique of sanitation and health control with techniques that wouldnt be discovered for thousands of years, and to do this all by himself. brilliant.

the isrealites themselves didnt even understand the law. they though it was all just ritual. by the time jesus was around the pharisees were washing their hands up to their elbow. when jesus just washed his hands and ignored the elbows, the jewish thought he was breaking the law. instead jesus understood the true nature and principle of the law. washing hands was so that you wouldnt get sick. the pharisee's who had not idea about anything like germs couldnt possibly understand.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 05:33 AM
link   
The fact is that Miriam is right and did give you solid answer, but to you it's a belief you don't believe in, ok then dead it, let it be. But why do you need to ask why it's wrong from faithfull people?

This is our faith, don't hammer us for it. You have your belief, we have ours. Let it go.

Now the fact is that in the new Testament it is told to not let anybody judge you of certain meats you eat and so forth or of sabbaths...

So i would say that it's not wrong to eat pork, since it looks like you get orgasms off of it, then go ahead. I too eat pork all the time and so it's not thast big a deal to God.

Btw the voices in the head happens to everybody. You don't see but many saints seen demons or spiritual beings, they go forth and tempt mandkind and so forth. That's why God talks about in the bible about (possesion). So literally when you sin you let satan or demons infest your body and it's like having an invisible buddy next to you and that stays with you even in hell.

so it's all spiritual, but ofcourse science tries to say otherwise because they are spiritless.

now what you should be concerned for is your modesty in asking questions.

I'm teasin. It's too easy.

God bless you river.

[edit on 19-11-2008 by JesusisTruth]

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   

I wrote this thread looking for SOLID ANSWERS that were not being tossed about wrapped up in some kind of religious belief package....

- you posted in the Religion, Faith, And Theology forum and now you are complaining about my answer having religious implications?

It's rather astonishing that God seems to be a preposterous notion yet the people from the BC era having microscopes and flying machines seems reasonable to you...

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I don't eat Meat, and I'll tell you the reason why...

I've always loved Bacon..honestly, back when I ate meat, I would be the one with my plate overflowing, with Bacon. Then there was the Pig-Farm murders in BC....I stopped eating Pork.

After the Maple Leaf scare over the summer, I stopped eating Meat. I started to realize, just how much faith, and trust I had in the Meat Industry. I trust that all employees wash their hands before handling the food, I trust that the meat is a good clean cut, I trust that the meat has passed FDA Laws...

However...after the scare I became pretty paranoid about eating any meat. I don't even eat Fish anymore.

I would be more inclined to eat Wild Meat - that hasn't been processed, chemically altered by hormone inections, or fed an unhealthy diet.

I don't know what Pigs eat, I don't know what they're supposed to eat - but since the Pig-Farm Murders (a farmer who killed hookers and fed them to his pigs) I grew wary of Pork, and since then haven't eaten any.

The truth is, I just don't know what goes into our food, and so for this reason, I try to stick to as closs to Organic, locally grown, and chemical free as possible. I don't have the craving for meat like I used to - and I'm not easily tempted into eating it anymore.

Sometimes I miss the bacon though, when I've got pancakes on my plate...

- Carrot

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Exactly Ashley......I had posted this in the SCIENCE forum on the ATS boards but someone decided to put it where it is now subverting my original intent, which was to try and avoid faith based answers.......

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by theRiverGoddess

You might want to try asking someone to move it to the BTS health and wellness forum. That sounds like the perfect place. No harm in asking.

www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bigwhammy

I wrote this thread looking for SOLID ANSWERS that were not being tossed about wrapped up in some kind of religious belief package....

- you posted in the Religion, Faith, And Theology forum and now you are complaining about my answer having religious implications?

ahhhh...NO I didn't.
Thats just you making an assumption.

It's rather astonishing that God seems to be a preposterous notion yet the people from the BC era having microscopes and flying machines seems reasonable to you...

Your actually telling ME to stfu??
Tiny boxed in minds befuddle me, as I am used to looking at a given subject from multiple POV in attempt to find the truth....claiming there can only be ONE POV, is a VERY narrow outlook.The exact opposite of being open minded.

Do you KNOW what assuming something does? you make and ass out of you & me, and I don't appreciate you shining YOUR light on me in such a manner.
Did I ever say that I found God to be a preposterous notion???
PLEASE SHOW ME anywhere on this board where I would have ever said that, as obviously its not in THIS thread....
I am fairly SHOCKED you would go so far as to LIE to put words in another persons mouth, but I guess with your assumptions its obvious what your tactics are, instead of trying to communicate with reason... or quoting what a person ACTUALLY said, for you can't do that when your just making things up out of thin air.

I am a VERY spiritual person, who believes in a much higher power that is inclusive of ALL existence, I am meditative and prayerful in practice.....
AND I doubt very much this higher power WROTE the bible.
To this day there is NO DEFINITIVE EVIDENCE for that and all evidence points to it be written by MEN....even the MEN who wrote it acknowledge they wrote it, so I will never understand why people will claim God wrote it

The books from ancient India describe much less fanciful happenings than the parting the red sea, so why is it such an absurd idea to you that I would use them as a comparison? there is plenty of definitive evidence that there have been very advanced civilizations prior to this modern one and I have already named a few, so no need for me to repeat myself. Science backs up my theroms AMEN.

I will never understand bible thumpers :bnghd: Lo I try.
Going around HATING on others and killing people in the name of this BIBLE written by no more than simple men..........don't ANY of these people understand the lesson of the 10 commandments? Obvious to me they have no depth of understanding on the love for all mankind that Jesus tried so hard to teach......so the true lessons of the bible go sadly unheeded.
Rudeness is not how Jesus shared his message, so why is rudeness the common weapon of thumpers like BigWhammy?

I am so grateful that ATS fosters a critical thinking aspect toward any 'belief system'...be they chemtrails, chupacabras or just WHO exactly wrote the bible.......ATS is a bastion of collected shared knowledge, for anyone seeking knowledge. I happen to be curious about pork, and I DID NOT choose this forum where I am now FORCED to discuss religious issues concerning a book I can't blindly worship because some big organized religions demand this of me.......I am much MORE interested in the DNA breakdown of this creature to see whats is made up of...and was hoping that would be the direction in which this thread would go, but it is not up to me.

Do all threads about food/vegetarianism, and what people may want to eat automatically go into the religious forums?..................maybe it is because I was asking why pork was BAD for me and included the bible reference as where I thought this 'pork is bad' idea was coming from...........it was NOT my choice to place it in this forum, and I am NOT leading the discussion from some religious soapbox, as I find all such discussions fruitless with no real hope in being educational.....

CA ARROT.................your reasons for taking meat out of your diet makes t more sense than anything & I fully agree we should NOT be injesting
growth hormone/antibiotic induced products as they are so unnatural for the body. I wish I had a little farm to husband the meat for my own table and make sure its not fed in a cannibalistic manner & is fully chem free. Sadly I am right in the middle of a decent size modern city. Some counties in Salt Lake City have been revising the law to allow for urban chickens, but not in my neighborhood as of yet.

Distrust of the MEAT MARKET BIZ is a wise thing IMO..... a healthy and rational fear.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Your right Ashly and I will do this..........and see what comes of it.
I am rather afraid the tone this thread has taken on will keep it right where it is though.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
(What we may eat.)

10 And being hungry, he was desirous to taste somewhat. And as they were preparing, there came upon him an ecstasy of mind. 11 And he saw the heaven opened and a certain vessel descending, as it were a great linen sheet let down by the four corners from heaven to the earth: 12 Wherein were all manner of four-footed beasts and creeping things of the earth and fowls of the air. 13 And there came a voice to him: Arise, Peter. Kill and eat. 14 But Peter said: Far be it from me. For I never did eat any thing that is common and unclean. 15 And the voice spoke to him again the second time: That which God hath cleansed, do not thou call common. 16 And this was done thrice. And presently the vessel was taken up into heaven.

There is this.

15:15 Peter answered him, "Explain the parable to us."

15:16 So Jesus said, "Do you also still not understand?

15:17 Don't you understand that whatever goes into the mouth passes into the belly, and then out of the body?

15:18 But the things which proceed out of the mouth come out of the heart, and they defile the man.

15:19 For out of the heart come forth evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, sexual sins, thefts, false testimony, and blasphemies.

15:20 These are the things which defile the man; but to eat with unwashed hands doesn't defile the man."

( I just like this little story)

And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them.

3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,

4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.

5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?

6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.

7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.

9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.

10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?

11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Neither do I condemn thee, go and sin no more. I like!

Roper

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by miriam0566
yes, but the bible claims to be inspired of god.

Wrong again.....the bible has WORDS in it that claim various things.....the bible doesnt speak, or makes any sounds vocalizing anything. It is the readers INTERPRETATION of the writings to which give meaning to the reader.
Jim Jones ALSO wrote things down that he 'claimed' were God inspired, but I am pretty sure just claiming something does not make it a fact. Why would this general rule of thumb only be applied to writings that the Catholic Church did not consider worth adding to the Cannon? If you dont question the canonized choices, then you give full and total power of your personal faith into the hands of the ancient Roman Church.
Why is God not important enough in your view to warrant capitalization? Methinks you don't honestly believe any of this blather of which you spew by referring to your supreme being with a little g. You just like to debate.

you make this claim that this is evidence that people knew more back then than we originally thought. could be true, but unlikely.

Why is it more likely some kind of 'magic'........than wisdom passed down from an earlier high civilization, or just from observing cause and effect? I believe my theroms are much more based in reality. Oh I forgot...someone wrote it down long ago so it has to be true, especially with Rome''s seal of approval.

so what you are claiming is that moses, who lived and grew up in a superstitious culture, was able to formulate a practical technique of sanitation and health control with techniques that wouldnt be discovered for thousands of years, and to do this all by himself. brilliant.

Why are you insisting on making things up and saying I have claimed them? If I DID claim such a thing you could easily quote me instead of making things up. Don't you know the bible has much to say about how great a sin lying is?
Instead of your above supposition I would be more inclined to suggest the possibility of the abduction of Moses by aliens, and his new sky friends hypnotically implanting survival skill information since he was the leader of such a large group.
I think that makes AS MUCH sense as the biblical version, as I question this bible that so many have gone to war to force down others throats. The incredibly negative behavior people have purported on others on the 'name of the bible' is WHY I think it is highly suspect.........a seed will make itself know by the fruit that it bears. This Bible of ALL POWERFUL Rome floats in a sea of blood just as intended......

Unless this thread is moved to a forum of its original intent I am done with it.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I'm hesitant to post this since the thread has taken a nasty turn, but it's an interesting topic to me, so here goes.

I think some of the weirdness on this thread is coming from assuming there is only one sort of reason to not eat pork. I'm going to try and go at it in an anthropological and historical way and maybe that will clarify things a bit.

First off, there's the reasons that "we" give now. Carrot gave a really good, succinct, persuasive account of one of the big reasons that modern vegetarians within meat-eating cultures give to avoid pork: the egregious conditions of industrial farming. This includes the pharmaceutics and other chemicals that livestock are fed as well as what goes into their feed to provide them nutrition, and the squalor and cruelty demonstrated on huge for-profit farms.

Obviously, this is not why ancient Jews avoided pork, since none of these things would have existed.

Next, there's the reasons that a nutritionist today would give that you should avoid eating pork: it's high in fat, and many pig products are cured in various ways involving large amounts of salt. Overconsumption of fat and salt is a huge problem in the modern world, so this is a valid concern. Among ancient Jews, this would actually make it a desirable food, since salt and fat were both prized by ancient cultures, which subsisted on a far leaner diet than we do. So that's not why they were forbidden to eat pork.

The idea that kosher laws were developed in order to protect society from consuming dangerous foods (in the sense of infection or infestation carrying foods) was invented in the early twentieth century (I think, maybe very late 1800s) by anthropologists who wanted to account for all social traditions as functional in the material sense. They pointed out that when undercooked both pork and shellfish can be high-risk foods, and argued that the kosher rules had developed to put a social and cultural explanation to why they should be avoided.

This model of social traditions has been out of favor in anthropology for maybe sixty or seventy years, but this specific application of it got absorbed in popular culture and makes people in the hard sciences feel good. There's really no way to disprove it, or to prove it.

What's really sort of interesting here is that everyone has accepted this as the explanation, but you're arguing over who to attribute the insight to: God, human intellect, or alien/earlier cultures. Again, there is no way to prove anything.

Personally, I think it's most likely that it has nothing to do with the tendency of pigs to carry trichinosis, and was more likely related to the nomadic background of so many of the ancient Middle Eastern tribes – I think pigs are very poor livestock for nomads, whereas sheep and goats are excellent and even cows are okay for short-distance nomadism. But that's just my hunch.

It's also very possible that the ancients noted certain similarities between pigs and humans, and came to the conclusion that eating pigs would be like cannibalism. This would be based on the structural similarities rather than any actual genetic connection. I'll try and look up the DNA match between pigs and humans, but I know it's not close enough to argue that they're closer to us than other animals that were eaten.

What makes me doubt this interpretation in particular is that sheep's hearts are actually very similar structurally to human hearts – it is sheep's hearts that biology students are usually given to dissect when learning about the heart. But lamb/mutton is as far as I know universally acceptable meat. Since they wouldn't have known about tissue compatibility (unless God or the aliens told them) I don't think this is why they avoid pork.

Then we have the other part of the original question, which is "why do non-abrahamic traditions attribute negative spiritual energy to pork." The only answers to this given so far in the thread are Carrot's disgust at what pigs have been fed and the anti-spiritual claim that all such dietary taboos are functional expressions of the trichinosis link.

I don't know much about farming, but I suspect that it is only in modern industrial farming that pigs are routinely fed ground up bits of other pigs. I'm not aware of cannibalism as being a "natural" trait among pigs – as far as I know, wild boars for instance do not hunt each other for food. So I don't think the spiritual pollution idea can really be attributed to the pig's dietary practices, except in the modern vegetarian instance.

The real question then, which I would love to hear an answer from from anyone who knows, is whether there is actually thought to be a negative spiritual impact from eating pork that does not happen when eating other meat. Do Buddhists, for instance, abstain from pork but not other meats?

Okay, this has been a very long post, much longer than I thought it would be. Here's the summation:

Why don't Jews and Muslims eat pork?
1) because God or aliens or human intellect or earlier civilization told them about the health risk of trichinosis and had them write it down among their commandments.

2) because God told them not to, and it doesn't matter why.

3) because pigs were food of the "other" – the non-nomadic people, and either God told them not to eat pig as a means of preserving their tribal purity, or they created the commandments of Leviticus as a social defense against impingement by foreign practices – *my favorite explanation*

Why shouldn't we eat pork?
1) the Carrot explanation – because pigs are fed disgusting stuff on modern farms. But this really applies to all meats, not just pork.
2) the nutritionist's explanation – they're high in fat and many forms are high in salt. Again, this really applies to all meat.
3) there is something peculiar to pork that interferes with human spiritual energy – this is what I'd love to hear a response to, if anyone out there knows?

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 02:45 AM
link   

To this day there is NO DEFINITIVE EVIDENCE for that and all evidence points to it be written by MEN

except the fact that there is information in the bible that we know is thousands of years before its time. other than that there is no evidence. oh yea and the prophecies... so except form the smart advice and the prophecies, there is no evidence whatsoever, oh wait the historical accuracy, so besides the information, prophecies and historical accurancy there is no eviden... scientific accurancy. sorry forgot that one. oh and then there is literary harmony despite being written over 1600 years. ok so besides the smart advice, the prophecies, the historical accuracy, scientific accuracy, literary harmony, the aqueduct, the wine, the public security, minsen, public sanitation and overall better public heath... what have the romans ever done for us!

so im not mocking. im in rare form today and that just felt like a monty python moment

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Thats absolute baloney (pun intended).

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join