It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WHY is eating ~PORK~ bad for me?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Eat crap every now and then......the healthy will go first due to a weak immune system!

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I find this very interesting, of late I have been going off meat altogether don't know why I just seem to be eating it less, although the smell of bacon from the local cafe certainly gets the taste buds going.

In the OP you mention the similarities between pigs and humans, and I've heard lots of time that for studies pigs are used as they are the closest in relation to us.

I feel that the answer lies here somehow, but if the 'tradition' goes back thousands of years I can't see how these people would know of the connection.

On another note you could look at the fact that pigs will eat almost anything that's put in their pen that is edible, could be seen as them being clean animals, they will quite literally eat all the crap leaving a clean pen.

Edit: for typing in the dark

[edit on 21/11/2008 by whoswatchinwho]

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat
@Miriam – why is it so important that the kosher laws reflect a "scientific" health concern? Aren't they just as valid if they reflect a spiritual or cultural concern?

its not important. the jews obeyed the law even with little understanding. however i do find it interesting that there is certain health concerns that they were protected by. in fact, most of the animals marked unclean were carnivores. we know that there are sometimes complications when eating carnivores, especially if you eat their livers.

im simply saying that god (who theoretically created the world) would know about it more than we do. its not all just empty ritual

infact, every law and commandment and principle god has given us has some sort of physical, emotional or spiritual benefit.

even the sabbath (just look at the japanese and their problems with suicide.)

link   
double post, sorry

[edit on 22-11-2008 by miriam0566]

link   
triple post, not my day....

[edit on 22-11-2008 by miriam0566]

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I don't care. I am eating it anyway... I want to die with a piece of bacon in my mouth.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by miriam0566

Thanks for responding

The reason that I'm suspicious of the importance that people place on the link between modern medical discoveries like trichinosis and ancient religious food taboos is just that it was first put forward by people who believed that religious laws had to be explained by how they benefit people materially in a scientific or power-focused sense.

In other words, people who thought that religion itself was nothing but superstition and made-up explanations of the world.

It has since been adopted also by people who use it to suggest that it's evidence that religious laws were indeed divinely inspired. And it really could be. But there is no way to prove it one way or another, and the divine inspiration hypothesis doesn't require the appeal to medical knowledge.

As long as people don't lose sight that religious commandments don't require confirmation by modern science to be valid or beneficial, I agree that it's interesting, and it certainly isn't evidence against the divine inspiration of Scripture.

But I also wouldn't want to provide any momentum to people who say that now that we know about trichinosis and how to prevent the risk, there is no further need for the dietary restrictions and any Jews who feel compelled to continue to follow them are irrational and anti-intellectual.

One of the interesting possibilities raised by this thread is whether there is a spiritual impact of the food we take in that's not reducible to its medical or chemical impact on the body.

If so, that could be additional support for the idea that ancient religious dietary laws are of divine, or at least super-physical, inspiration

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Ive been cooking up a package of turkey bacon the last couple of days. If you make SURE you don't overcook it it can give you that extra crispy yet chewy texture that real bacon has. You must watch it like a hawk however as it is SO EASY to mess up and then the whole effect is ruined.
Ive gotten into turkey bacon as I am very conscious about cutting way down on fat content. If it didn't taste so much like bacon there would be no way I would be into it.....its the pork flavor thats important in my household.

One of my closest friends gave up all pork...........but her reason was the movie BABE and how cute the piggy was and how well trained as an animal actor it preformed and nothing else.

I wonder why cat food is not mouse flavored?

[edit on 23-11-2008 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat
As long as people don't lose sight that religious commandments don't require confirmation by modern science to be valid or beneficial,

your right on this point. sometimes god may command something you dont fully understand. there is a certain amount of trust that god knows what he's talking about.

but whats interesting is that as i study deeper and deeper, jesus' 2 commandments that he stated to the pharisee's becomes more and more true.

interestingly enough im beginning to see how every single law and detail of the law fits into those commandments. even with regard to eating bacon.

however, it should be noted too that later, unclean animals where declared clean. whatever protection not eating pork gave, it wasnt critical enough to continue forbidding pork. another aspect of the commandment was that it was symbolic of something.

in hebrews, paul described the law as a "shadow" of things to come. so pork may have had a significance with regards to christ.

we have to remember that only "clean" animals were allowed to be sacrificed. psalms states that mankind cannot furnish their own savior. hebrews states that the blood of animals cannot take away sin of man. even if the jews were to take one of their own (human) and sacrifice him, it wouldnt work. he is sinful (unclean). humankind HAD to wait for jesus, since he is the only one "clean" or sinnless. its interesting to note that in revelation he is depited as a lamb (clean animal)

so why was pork permitted after? well in a symbolic sense it was declared clean. this parallels the christian congregation. if one took advantage of the ransom they were declared holy or sanctified. in this respect they were declared clean.

so besides the standards interesting dietary reasons, there are also symbolic ones

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join