It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I swear I saw a Pterodactyl

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Jade2010

It is often difficult to correctly identify an animal in a split second from a moving car. Perhaps you have watched a model pterosaur. The pterodactyl in the following video flies in the winter and does not flap its wings.

The flight starts at 7:10

The model shown in this video is not unique. A standardized model kit can be bought:
www.pteroworks.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi
Aren't Pterodactyls cold blooded? Isn't Michigan freezing at this time of year?

PS: I've also seen some pretty big freakin' bats around Western Canada before, like 3-4 foot wingspans. Though I'm not saying that's what this was, especially since bats always flap their wings and don't have beaks.
edit on 6-2-2011 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

Actually, noone really knows. Current thinking is that some of the ancient reptilians (dinosurs and pterosaurs) were "lukewarm blooded". They could generate a moderate amount of body heat on their own, but not enough to be considered truely warm blooded.

In addition, if it is a pterosaur, it would obviously not be exactly the same as the ancient fossils. Of all the creatures to have survived the wipe out of that era, it seems to me that pterosaurs would be the most likely. Then you have a few million years of evolution. Although, they may not have changed much at all, given the relative stagnation of Crocadillians.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
U think that's a huge bat?

check this out!

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I am not aware of any bat species as big as the ones in the photos in North America.The ones in the pictures look to me like fruit bat species from Africa ,Asia or Australlia.Besides I'm sure the OP knows what they saw.Herons are in the south at this time of year.I would place a good deal of credibility in the fact that the daughter saw it to and drew it.Kids notice allot more than they are given credit for.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
i think when thousands of these things you saw start dropping from the sky burned
scared by fireworks
then we shoould all get really scared

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by sallamy
U think that's a huge bat?

check this out!

That's an illusion. The bat is just really close, while the guy is stepped back.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I'll be honest, i'm not sure if i believe you, or at least the whole story anyway.

I just cannot imagine a 10 year old kid saying "that wasnt a bird, that was a reptile because birds have feathers".

If the bird flew past your car quickly i highly doubt you'd be able to see in great detail if the animal had scales, skin or feathers and for certain a 10 year old wouldn't be able to make that distinction.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liamoville
I'll be honest, i'm not sure if i believe you, or at least the whole story anyway.

I just cannot imagine a 10 year old kid saying "that wasnt a bird, that was a reptile because birds have feathers".

If the bird flew past your car quickly i highly doubt you'd be able to see in great detail if the animal had scales, skin or feathers and for certain a 10 year old wouldn't be able to make that distinction.

Do you have kids? I have an 8 year old daughter, they say much stranger things than that!
They can also see as well as us "adults".

10 years old would normally be 4th grade anyways, which is old enough to know the difference between birds and reptiles as long as they are attending public school or equivalent.

Not sure what the OP saw, but it's interesting. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
What part of America (if so) do you come from...

The bird you may have seen was a CRANE, ALBATROSS, Water turkey, or what I think...a Limpkin in Flight
edit on 6-2-2011 by misfitofscience because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Maybe you actually saw a pterodactyl, check this :

[yvid]ucE-xUIQ_rI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drunkenshrew

It is often difficult to correctly identify an animal in a split second from a moving car. Perhaps you have watched a model pterosaur.

My car was not moving. As I stated before I was stopped at a red light, waiting to turn. I feel that I got a pretty good look at the "bird".

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liamoville

Well my 10 year old is a "miss know it all".....actually it is very annoying at times when she always is correcting me. But, kids will be kids.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

I disagree, I live in Michigan also, and frankly, our bats are not that big and they do in fact glide especially when they are feeding. My girlfriend has a huge pond on her property with a bonfire pit right next to it, we can see them at night swooping down to grab a tasty snack of lightening bugs and mosquitos.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by misfitofscience
What part of America (if so) do you come from...

The bird you may have seen was a CRANE, ALBATROSS, Water turkey, or what I think...a Limpkin in Flight
edit on 6-2-2011 by misfitofscience because: (no reason given)

Im from Michigan and I have been researching Michigan birds. The closest one I found was a Blue Heron (which it could have been)......The only thing is the Blue Heron has beautiful feathers and I do not think they are here in the Winter, but with all of the strange animal things going on....maybe it was confused.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Whatever the OP has seen, I am quite sure, that it was neither a limpkin, nor a bat.

The OP has written, that he was driving through Michigan in very cold weather (after a blizzard). The limpkin is a bird, which lives only in warm parts of the Americas. The northernmost population lives in Florida. So it is extremely unlikely that the OP has seen such a bird.

In Michigan all bat-species hibernate and are normally not spotted outdoors in winter. The largest Michigan bat species is the hoary bat, it does not fit the description.

The hoary bat averages 13 to 14.5 cm (5 to 5.7 in) long with a 40 cm (15.7 in) wingspan and a weight of 26 g (0.9 oz). It is the largest bat normally found in Canada. Its coat is of a dark brown colour and there is silver frosting on its back. With the major exception of the underside of the wing, most of the bat is covered in fur.

en.wikipedia.org...

The largest bat species (megachiroptera) do not live in America. Sometimes foreign animals are kept as pets or are held in private zoos. If such animals escape their captivity, they often produce spectacular animal sightings. But it is very, very unlikely that the OP has seen an escapee megabat. The weather is much too cold and his description does not fit at all.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by icecold7
i think when thousands of these things you saw start dropping from the sky burned
scared by fireworks
then we shoould all get really scared

Thanks for the laugh...I agree with you 100%. We are in some major trouble when thousands of prehistoric type animals start dropping from the sky! Love it!!!

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drunkenshrew

It is often difficult to correctly identify an animal in a split second from a moving car. Perhaps you have watched a model pterosaur. The pterodactyl in the following video flies in the winter and does not flap its wings.

I know that I did not see that, but I wish I had one of those to play with

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I am having a hard time believing anything about a bat or pterodactyl flying in the middle of winter near Holland, MI which is much like any other coastal city in Michigan, freaking cold in the winter. A bat wouldn't be flying around, especially an Indonesian Fruit bat like what is pictured. Whatever it was it wasn't a bird as they can't find lift without their feathers. It might be a flying Tulip.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by xynephadyn
OK ive done alot of research for you tonight and it sounds to me like what you saw tonight may have infact of been a Pterosaurs. There are alot of Pterosaurs sightings infact but found several here on ATS. I was unable to find the thread I was talking about earlier after looking for it for a few hours, (ATS search is limited at best) but found these threads which lead me to this Pterosaurs notion.

Just some stuff for you to look into. You can look on the internet at pictures and try to piece together what best you think you saw. I think its really awesome you saw one so up close, glad I could help

Thanks a ton, you have been extremely helpful. I will check out the threads and continue on my search for more information. Maybe I will see it again, my eyes are peeled.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by minigunner
It might be a flying Tulip.

I have seen many tulips in my life time, in fact I used to be a dutch dancer. If it was a flying tulip, it was the most beautiful vibrant colored tulip that I have ever seen. Not to mention the biggest tulip EVER!! Maybe someone will catch it and put in on a float for the parade.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join