It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It Ain't Just Mubarak -- 7 of the Worst Dictators the U.S. Is Backing to the Hilt

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

It Ain't Just Mubarak -- 7 of the Worst Dictators the U.S. Is Backing to the Hilt

www.alternet.org< br />

February 5, 2011 Embattled Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak, whose regime has received billions in U.S. aid, has been in the global media spotlight of late. He's long been “our bastard,” but he's not alone.

Let's take a look at the other dictators from around the planet who are fortunate enough to be on Uncle Sam's good side.

1. Paul Biya, Cameroon

Biya has ruled Cameroon since winning an “election" in 1983. He was the only candidate, and did pretty well, getting 99% of the vote.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 5-2-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-2-2011 by SkepticOverlord because: corrected formatting

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Quite an interesting little run-down and list of names here.

And there seems to be familiar components with each of them---OIL, selling of military equip and arms, and obviously large transfers of U.S. tax dollars to keep these despots and barbarians in power. Nice that we can have a say-so in where our tax money goes, eh?

What this shows even FURTHER when one looks deeper into the issue, is that these policies are NOT simply a governmental scheme, but a CORPORATE-ran, wealth-generating structure. Examples such as Boeing selling planes to these folks gov, and Oil giants setting up shop and opening pipelines. And of course many times our arms sales to these nations and rulers end up being the very weapons they use against their own civilians to quash any dissent from them, and maintain their iron-grip in power and oppression over the masses.

But of course none of this is ever mentioned in our mainstream media, nor what terrible things are happening to the masses of these countries due to these policies. We usually get some watered-down, rosey picture from our co-conspirators in the gov and then the media shills either don't report at all, or just parrot what Big Brother tells them.

Definitely a short little worthwhile read here folks. Take a gander.

www.alternet.org< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 5-2-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: typo

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
But wait, I thought we were the good guys, storming in to remove Saddam Hussein, cause you know, he was a dictator who oppressed his own people... Hard to believe, but there are morons out there even today who still believe that is the reason we went to war in Iraq. The United States has a lot to answer for when it comes to these regimes.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I agree.

We are going broke. We shouldn't be supporting anybody while main-street USA closes shop. Just look at some of the yearly recipients of US foreign aid over the past 10 years.

Russia, India, Haiti, Ethiopia, West Bank/ Gaza, Columbia, Jordan, Pakistan, Peru, Indonesia, Kenya, Bolivia, Ukraine, Liberia, Bangladesh, Bosnia. and over 80 more....

Why is Russia still on the list? They are now the largest oil producers in the world surpassing Saudi Arabia... Notice two BRIC countries?

Meanwhile, lines at our unemployment offices and our national Debt keeps growing.

edit on 5-2-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Opps, you missed Israel;;

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Yeah, the US Government is interesting like that... They will support some pretty awful people as long as we are getting something out if it. God forbid we no longer get anything out of it though.

Sadam Hussien anyone?

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

I figured people are well of aware of Israeli and Egyptian support.
I was filling out the list

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by backinblack

I figured people are well of aware of Israeli and Egyptian support.
I was filling out the list

No probs, but it's amazing Israel and Egypt get 1/3 of ALL US aid money..
They're hardly true struggling countries...

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

And...

Russia and India are struggling?

It's called checkbook diplomacy.

The US goes around the world and attempts to buy support. The Japanese did it in the 80s when they grew and now China is starting to do the same.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

We are so hypocritical, we attack and complain about other world dictators yet we support those select dictators that serve our selfish interests. What's happened to our American values? How can anyone take us at our word when we don't practice what we preach to the world. We've attacked the old Soviet Union for invading Afghanistan, spreading communism, yet we invaded Panama and Iraq and try influencing other countries to follow our form of governing. We constantly change our reasons for being occupiers of a sovereign country. If any other country would be doing this, we would be bad mouthing their secret intentions. We say we're above torturing our enemies, yet we justify it when we do it. We complain about other countries human rights issues when we have some of our own human rights issues right here in the U.S..

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

The US goes around the world and attempts to buy support. The Japanese did it in the 80s when they grew and now China is starting to do the same.

...And in the long run, it always comes back to bite them in the #ss. It ends up creating more enemies than what it's worth.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I'd like to see a study of dictators/leaders that we back and what their personal net worth was before they started receiveing aid, and after. Apparetnly Mubarak has taken every penny that we have given to Egypt and pocketed it- EVERY SINGLE PENNY!!!

US foreign aid needs to stop immediately. The US is not in a position to be handing out anything to anybody, especially when it is just making ruling families richer instead of its intended use. Well, it's intended use from the perspective of the taxpayer...it's already being used for its intended use according to the governemnt- it's a bribe.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

And...

Russia and India are struggling?

lol, Russia and India get peanuts compared to Israel and even Egypt
Not even 2% of what they get...
Pakistan is third highest...

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by DragonTattooz

US foreign aid needs to stop immediately.

No, aid is fine...
What they need to do is call all this aid what it really is, a bribe for cooperation..

Then see if the tax payers will stand for it...

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

reply to post by DragonTattooz

US foreign aid needs to stop immediately.

No, aid is fine...
What they need to do is call all this aid what it really is, a bribe for cooperation..

Then see if the tax payers will stand for it...

Ah, young Padwan, you must read to the end of my message, then you will be ready to snatch the stone from my hand...

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

lol, Russia and India get peanuts compared to Israel and even Egypt
Not even 2% of what they get...
Pakistan is third highest...

I'd hardly call Giving Russia 8 Billion dollars peanuts when you consider they are producing more oil than Saudi Arabia. I'm sure if the US invested that money in Colleges and Universities or more R & D that would create more innovation we wouldn't be hemorrhaging jobs etc...

Also giving them and India ANY money is simply retarded when you consider they vote against at almost every turn...

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

You have a link to the 8 billion to russia??

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Hi all. Devils Advocate here.

Have any of you considered that while we have backed real bad guys in the past, it is being done because there is something worse waiting in the wings?
Sure, it'd be nice if we could give the world unicorns and rainbows, but we can't. We can only work with the material given to us. We can only work with the people there now. Change takes time. And as the case of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" is still true, perhaps taking a step back and looking at the larger picture is needed.

Or we can just bash America.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The USA should stop their empire building (let's call it what it is folks) and stop trying to police the world.

It's time that the USA started to look inwards, and solve their own problems.

After all, as your grandmother said, "you can't solve everyone else's problems if you can't take care of #1, yourself".

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

That is $8B total, not per year. It's still outrageous, but facts are facts. They get in the 10's of millions per year. Why do they get anything? Call me clueless. It's a truly crazy world in which we live.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join