It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IF the worlds Wealth was divided FAIRly

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Equal divide is not fair divide.

Worlds money and wealth would be divided fairly if you take it from central banksters and corrupt politicians (people who contribute nothing but take a lot, from one side of the wealth spectrum) and also take it from people who dont want to work or educate but only breed children like rabbits even if they know they would be unable to take care of them - many people in third world countries and welfare moms in developed countries (again, people who contribute nothing but take a lot, from the other side of the wealth spectrum).

Take it from these two groups and give it to the people who actually produce something useful.
edit on 5/2/11 by Maslo because: grammar

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
Well there is 6.8 billion people on Earth, and Trillons of pounds / dollars / francs / yen etc etc etc, so I would imagine everyone would live comfortably if it was distibuted evenly.
edit on 4/2/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

How can people fail to see that scarcity is what makes money worth ANYTHING.

If divided equally money loses it's meaning completely and we might aswell switch to a resource-based economy then. (my favorite anyway)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by sara123123

Originally posted by 12voltz
If the worlds wealth and land were divided equally then each person would have equal except some people would be more equal than others .I believe its called communism and has been tried before.
edit on 4-2-2011 by 12voltz because: of the constant rain

And it is marked by slavery, oppression and mass murder to such an extent that it would make Hitler jealous. Why are people so dim as to not know this obvious and well documented history of Marxism????? Not only that, Marxism is unconstitutional in the US. For the dim Utopians among us who do not or can not read history - unconstitutional means ILLEGAL.

Off-topic: Considering the TPTB have pretty much wiped thier fat a$$[$ with your Constitution (read: nothing to them is no longer illegal), does that mean you yanks are heading down the road to Marxism??

On topic:Great topic OP. i have often wondered why the hell people need huge salaries of $100k+ to get by on!!
If the ordinary person can get by on less, why can't they?? As one poster mentioned earlier, the more money people have, the more arrogant, greedy, self-righteous and egotistical they are!! I understand the financial system we have, but only when i believe the work you do should be equal to your salary. Which means NO-ONE that currently earns more than $80k per year would be worth much.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I am always amused by money threads. The topic is more controversial than politics, and religion combine. Poor people are always, and I mean always without fail making arguments for justification of looting the pockets of the rich (rich by definition is anyone with 2 cents more than they have.) While the rich cite darwinian principles of survival, and pontificate about work ethic, whilst some of them truly didn't lift a finger for their money, and could definitely afford to help out their fellow man.

Unfortunately the problem really is a bit darwinistic. Our species has decided to use money as a media for survival. Some sub-groups of our species has decided to dedicate their focus in life to obtaining as much of this media as possible (upper class). Others prefer to live more balanced (middle class). And yet another set have concluded to not give it much thought at all, and depend mostly on the first 2 classes for survival (lower class).

I realize this is a sweeping generalization, and will not fit a lot of individual situations, but on the national level it rings pretty true. For instance my parents are poor, dirt poor. My dad is an amazing mechanic, and brilliant when it comes to fixing, building, or engineering anything. He is terrible with his money, and employment choices. He has quit $75K a year jobs in the past because his supervisor spoke to him in a manner that disturbed his sensibilities. When he does run across a chunk of cash it is gone within 6 months with nothing substantial to show for it. He is over 60 now, and has zero dollars for retirement. Guess who will get to pick up the bill for him, and my mother? Why little old me of course. Which I will do gladly because he is my father, and I love and respect him for the good man he is besides his gullibility with money.

The problem is that there are 10 million people just like him who think I need to pick up their tab too. Sorry, all I can afford is my parents. If you accepted the same lack of interest or control towards money then you're just SOL unless you have a "rich" benefactor in your family that you were nice enough towards that they are willing to support you. I think it is wrong for the government or any other entity to "redistribute" my wealth. I distribute it just fine. I'm one of those balanced middle class folks who enjoys my money, but I don't live for it. I have enough, and the truly rich man is the one who knows what enough is. I do help a lot of people, but their is a danger in helping. Giving away money is just like using antibiotics. Sometimes when you have an overwhelming infection you have to use antibiotics to get it under control. Yet, if you overuse them you wipe out the bodies defenses by creating dependency on the antibiotics, and you create resistant strains of bacteria. The same danger applies to welfare, and charity. When you are too generous people become dependent on the hand outs, and no longer have any drive to earn wealth for themselves. Do it long enough, and now we have strains of people resistant to doing any type of work at all.

The world economy, and political instability is getting to the point that the welfare roles are about to disappear anyway. It will be a dog eat dog fight for survival for everyone regardless of class, but having work ethics, and some physical preparations that were afforded by personal wealth will go a long way to helping one survive. The elite wealthy, and poor by choice at the extreme ends of the spectrum who will not lift a finger now may find themselves unable to lift a finger when the SHTF.

As with anything else in the world balance is the key, but balance is not an equal smudging of all the money regardless of merit, or position. I would not do my job for $10K a year. My co-workers would not either. If we didn't do our jobs, a lot of people wouldn't live long enough to do theirs. The system would crash very quickly. What I do is more important than a trash truck driver, thus I make a lot more money than a trash truck driver. What a trash truck driver does is more important than a cashier at a department store, so that's why he gets paid more etc.... There are disparities, and corruption that does end up with a worthless lump having piles of cash, and good hard working people with nothing, but in the grand scheme hard work, and brains usually show up on your paycheck.
edit on 5-2-2011 by Binder because: corrected typos

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Communism have been tried? Where and when exactly?

I know that there have been The Dictatorship of Proletariat in USSR and other places but it never progressed to Communism because once few people gained power and wealth they didn't let it go.

If Proletariat Dictators call themselves Communists they're still nothing but Dictators.

It is human nature that need to be changed.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Why is the stars of the OP off?

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by TheGhostViking

The world's household income for a family of five would be $15,500 if distributed equally, accordin to THE STRAIGHT DOPE

Now in America only, (according to my own estimates which you can feel free to discredit if I have done the math wrong.)
Is that if all of America's GNP were distributed equally every year, then we would all make 46,043.5858 per year.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by nrd101

Ummm.....actually, the native americans, had all of the same social conundrums that we have today. The major problem in their societies was tribalism. They had war, they fought over breeding stock, resources, etc. Sucks to have been a hot squaw, dont ya think, never knowing when some infatuator wasn't going to sneak in "silence" your family and escape with you bound and gagged. I think they call that sexual slavery. Yep, tribes kept slaves, sure, in some cases you could work your way into indentured servitude, and then on rare occaisions into full fledged warrior status. (did I just say warrior)?

Blame it on Darwin, or on human nature, or just accept that human beings are territorial animals. If you build a fence around your square foot-do the math using only arrable land-the grass will always look greener....on your neighbors "plot"..........

YouSir

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by slane69

Could not agree more brother...look at our history, the basic nature of people will not change even if everyone were given equal shares of money.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

I agree with much of what you said, but by free market the producers should get the wealth, not by artificial confiscation and redistribution. The latter is a slightly immoral and inefficient way of working towards that end.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by TheGhostViking

wake up call brother, no one is equal..some are muscular like me and some are fat, some are pretty and others are well not. There are good people and bad, human nature will never change.

if this thread was only helping feed the starving people in the world by feeding them and teaching them how to grow food then I am in agreement. If it requires redistribution of peoples money and cannot agree, this will solve nothing in the long run.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by WinnieDaWho
Why is the stars of the OP off?

He's been banned.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Binder

well put...the world would be a boring place if everyone were the same, made the same money etc...

I barely graduated highschool, went to the Marines, when i got out I failed at college miserably because I hated it. I was good with computers so I took a job for 60k a year 13 years ago in IT. I busted my but and 6 months later I landed a I job for a startup in silicon valley during the boom, 4 months later I transfered into software development where I wrote code to route internet traffic BGP...etc.. after a couple years I moved into the sales dept as a Sales Engineer and started making over 200k a year, but I busted my ass and never gave up. The company went public, hit 200$ a share and split twice...

So if I someone intelligent, hard work ethic but no education can succeed there is no excuse for anyone else in my opinion, I was given nothing, I went after it. So do not come looking at me for a damn handout or support...

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
If all the wealth in the world was gathered up and distributed to each person evenly, so no one had more or less than his neighbor, within a few years (or less)you would have some people in the top ten percent, a middle class and another group in poverty. People are people. If it was that easy all the money we have put into welfare everyone would be wealthy. All the money we dump into education we would all be geniuses. Oh, one last thing, this may be for another thread but, if everyone where to receive the same food every day the same portions, we would still have some people over weight, average and skinny. There are some levels that people can’t be controlled although the communist’s keep trying.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
If this were to happen, chaos would be iminent. some might struggle to regain what they have lost, erupting in violence and rapture. people responding to these nuts would only make it worse. also when this wealth is distributed, is the debt distributed too? wouldnt it have to be done that way? bottom line is, if this were to happen it would cause major changes to everyone's standard of living. some would handle it well while others might lose their sanity. i think the cultural greed that is programmed into most from birth would never allow them to accept a different standard of living suddenly thrust upon them from whomever would do this.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
This is very complex, dividing fairly is not a clear line. The distribution of wealth certainly needs to change, but simply counting heads and then splitting it up evenly would not be "fair". It needs to be done on national levels.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by marinesniper0351

You sir are spot on. I put myself through college, and worked my butt off too. I started with absolutely nothing, and am fairly comfortable now. I always strive for a little more, but not to the point of it consuming my happiness. I want my children to do even better than me. I will help them, but I won't just give them everything. Most of the people I meet who are lacking have talents, and abilities that are lying fallow. I once heard of a guy in eastern europe behind the iron curtain during the 70s that made a good living for his family, and even became relatively wealthy for his place in time, and demographic selling vacuum cleaners! 99% of the time it is not a case of CANNOT it is a case of WILL NOT do what is necessary to succeed. Who are we to fight natural law? If you won't do what is necessary to secure survival, don't expect to survive. Pretty simple logic.

I have worked 3 jobs before college, and then 2 jobs during college, while raising 2 children. Now I only have to work my 1 job, and have plenty of time with the kids(4 now:lol
. I can support them well, and even help my family, but it cost me 8 years of heavy toil during my 20s instead of partying. I am now enjoying my 30s instead of struggling like all the party dudes that thought I was crazy in our 20s.

But... never fear they have their politicians that will work tirelessly to ensure that I am robbed of my strategic labor so they can achieve the same standard of living even though they squandered their youth, and made bad choices. I would just be happy if someone going to the mailbox to pick up their welfare dole out would at least stop, and say thank you to the middle class wage slave. Nope all they seem to be able to do is look upon us with scorn, and contempt because we haven't bled more on their behalf. If you opened your financial jugular and exsanguinated into their checking account they would still call you greedy for not putting your spouse, and children on the altar also.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
If the wealth were divided equally, everyone would have an annual income of US$10,571.

$74 trillion annual global GDP divided by a population of ~7 billion

Simple.

But fiat currency has no backing and is worthless bits of paper....the fed can print $100 trillion dollars if they wanted tomorrow...then another $500 trillion a day later.
Wealth can only really be calculated by valuable resources...paper money isnt worth the paper its printed on

No they couldn't. The US cant print its money out of thin air. Other nations must first buy US Dollars/bonds with their national currency before they can print its new Dollars.

As long as other nations are willingly to buy US currency the US can print new money.

The reason the us is in such a debt right now, is because the American public and the government have built their nation on credit. That means they have borrowed money from others who have solid currency. And now the Americans own these nations big time.

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by bhornbuckle75

I realise you are simply posting statistics so don't think I am preaching at you, but your information helps make a good point I want to make.

If all of Americas wealth were distributed evenly, and I was to make $46K a year regardless I would promptly quit my job, and go to work at Burger King. In fact fast food joints, and car washes would be flooded with applicants. Why? Risk Vs. gain. I bear a heavy burden of reponsibility for people's lives in my profession. I also run the risk of contracting whatever new super bada** bug comes around. I change clothes, and shower before coming into my home around my kids every single shift. I would not do this for $46K when I can flip burgers, wash cars and flirt with teenage girls for the same money.

Their would be no incentive to improve myself. Burger flippers don't risk going before depositions for wrongful death. If by some some miracle the situation the OP is describing came about doctors, policemen, firemen, soldiers, anyone who works a hard, icky, intellectually demanding, or stressful job would quit. Infrastructure would dissapear over night. Without incentive to strive to do better no one would. I can be honest, and say I would not do my job for $46K a year the risks would outweigh the benefit.
edit on 5-2-2011 by Binder because: typo

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
What ever happened to EARNING things. People just want handouts these days, its pathetic. Everyone is born with equal opportunities, some may have more of a chance because of wealth or status, but obviously someone before them EARNED that status or wealth to give to them. I hate when people see others living good, nice cars, vacations, etc. and stand there and say, "it must be nice"...well they EARNED it and deserve it. Get off your ass's ppl cuz as long as we Americans stand tall, you just gonna have to EARN things. Communism sucks!

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join