It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If The Aliens Do Come. Will You Follow?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Yes, I would leave this miserable planet.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Well, as an Athiest I don't believe in God, or any deity.

But depending on what their agenda is, and who they are then I would, yes. I'd have to concede their superiority in some way since they've managed to travel from (potentially) light-years away, but I think it'd really boil down to who they are and what agenda they're pushing.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
ok i will come but im dead first

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
They would have to earn my trust. No amount of pretty new gadgets, fluffy philosophy, etc. will create that trust. Only time will tell us what we need to know and whether they could be trusted.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Visiting ESB

that is something im trying to get established right now...can they be trusted...on they know

do i even have a choice???? but yes i may follow, i dont really like our plant, too much war, crime, and etc...but i may need to think on my answers....maybe
edit on 2/6/2011 by AlienDecendants because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
You know, I'd really like to discover just how bullet-proof they are.

Might be a good thing to know.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I wouldn't trust them. As I think I was married to 1. She thought she was more intelligent and gave order's like a god. And after 14 years she started to seem ALIEN to me. Then she disappeared in the blink of an eye, teleporting herself and all my belonging's with her. Never to be seen again. So i couldn't risk it, not again.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I'm no sheeple, but i would shoot the crew in their heads and commandeer me a start cruiser

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Probably not follow them ,but listen and learn maybe. How would you know they're telling the truth? Many accounts, if true, show some of them to be quite deceitful. And if there is one race, then there are many, which ones do you believe? God is God throughout the universe, so my faith would remain...

Originally posted by meathed
I wouldn't trust them. As I think I was married to 1. She thought she was more intelligent and gave order's like a god. And after 14 years she started to seem ALIEN to me. Then she disappeared in the blink of an eye, teleporting herself and all my belonging's with her. Never to be seen again. So i couldn't risk it, not again.

Thats classic, well played.......
edit on 6-2-2011 by Toxicsurf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by dangerous
COMMON SENSE DICTATES THAT ALIENS WILL NOT GIVE US NEW TECH BECAUSE WE ARE A STILL WARLIKE RACE WHO WILL STOP AT NOTHING TO GET POWER IF YOUR A TREKIE WHO HAS ACHEIVED SAID WARP CAPABLITY THEN WE WOULD HAVE SOME HOPE THAT WE ARE ALL COMING TOGETHER AS ONE THEN I ASSUME THEY WOULD CONTACT US FOR POSSIBLE FRIENDSHIP AS SPOCK WOULD SAY IT LOGICAL CAPTAIN AND I MEAN NO PUN BY THAT LETS SAY I HAVE ONLY SEEN THEM IN MY DREAMS AND THEY DONT LOOK LIKE US

YEAH, SURE BUDDY. BUT PLEASE DO NOT COME WITH ME AS ONE, I'M NOT FOND OF THE ANAL PROBE STORY.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by iLoGiCViZiOnS

I for one welcome our new alien overlords. All hail kang and kodos.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

It's a very loaded question. Almost as bad as when a woman ask you if something makes her look good, or makes her look fat. No matter what you say to her your in trouble.

I would not give up believing in God, and why would they care what I believe?

Why would someone want to follow them if they want to tell you are aloud and not aloud to believe in? There are enough people already here trying to do that. I don't want to be controlled by them or aliens, no matter how many shiny they toys have.

And how would they bring peace to us? Through a threat of war? That doesn't sound like peace, but more control and oppression, hasn't there been enough of that already?

Since they must be trying to give you a line of garbage, you could show them a map of where Iran and Pakistan are and tell the aliens that they might be willing to talk about not believing in God.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I don't believe in a god for a start so that point is easily covered.
Would I leave this planet? Maybe, but only if my family and friends will come with me.
Don't want to leave this planet for ever but travelling around space for a year sounds pretty badass.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
It all depends on your belief system.
I would not abandon my belief in God
such as it is.
Where would you follow them?
To the gates of hell?
Only my opinion.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

So lets just say the Aliens do come. We would naturally assume of course they are more intelligent then we are.

If they can differentiate between "then" and "than" we may be -way- in over our heads.

On a more serious note; I would never assume something to be more intelligent than me, or more capable. I am certainly willing to recognize when someone knows something I don't - but I have a "if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself" attitude towards learning and critical thinking. In terms of raw intelligence - it isn't going to get much better than humans - cybernetics could improve our memory retention and assist with faster decision making - but in order to get more intelligent, you are dealing with an entirely different level of sentience that we cannot really even begin to speculate upon - anymore than a bee can speculate on individual intelligence.

What would you do?

Kind of depends. I would go to work and make sure I had my pantry and survival kits stocked, same as I do every week. If society collapses, then I'll respond to that according to my developed contingencies. If society plugs along, then I'll be plugging along, too.

It's plausible that we have been visited in the past, and will be visited in the future. We survived the first rounds of plausible encounters, if they happened, so getting too upset about it is not going to be a terribly good thing. They didn't show up and give us hovering cars thousands of years ago, I don't expect they will do the same the next time around. I don't expect we'll be blasted into a series of craters or delivered from divine retribution.

Would you abandon any/all belief in God and follow them?

This is why I like cats. They may love you to pieces - but when push comes to shove, you're a source of an easy meal for them, not a god.

I would like to think that I have more sense than my cat, and would not deem something worthy of worship because it can come in a flying ship of wondrous shiny things.

Okay lets just say they brought Peace and were willing to share with us lots of new technology that would help our species.

I wouldn't hold my breath for that one to happen... chances are plenty have 'come in peace' - and simply gone about their business. They would, likely, only be sharing technology as part of some kind of exchange. This means that we are sufficiently advanced enough to -require- diplomacy, and have something they want.

BUT they told you that the religion was of mans orgin and that there was NO GOD.

Sounds like a school faculty meeting.

So to follow them we would have to abandon all our beliefs in him. My point of this Thread is how much would you be willing to believe if they said and did all the right moves.

Had I a college chemistry teacher, he may be the biggest atheist douche out there. He can make various vials of smoking liquids and colors of flames all he wants to. I'd be glad to learn how to do that. Just as I'd be glad to learn from these aliens. My theology will not change because he has a different theology and can do things, presently, that I do not yet have the ability to do.

When I say follow I mean just believe what they tell us because they have such advanced technology and tell us a different story of our world.

They could tell me there's no God all they wanted to. God is an issue of faith for a reason - we will always be pushing the boundaries of understanding - and god inherently represents the ultimate in understanding. God wasn't confounded by our discovery of the water cycle and weather patterns. Nor by our discovery that Earth goes around the sun (as opposed to vice-versa). I don't look at 'science' and discovery as being an attempt to discredit "god did it" - but as attempting to answer how "god did it."

To that end - disproving such a concept is, for all known methods, impossible. You can't prove to someone that there is no possible way for the universe to be under the influence of some kind of intelligent guidance and direction. They should be able to provide reasonable proof of their findings.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

This was a thread about aliens that ended up getting hijacked by religous types. According to you christians the world was made in 6 days and the lord had a rest day on the 7th. And that in your books only happened 3000bc or what ever number you want to throw at it. Your the one thats dreaming.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
i would.

why wouldnt i. and when id come bck. id come bck smarter then anyone could ever imagine..

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
lets say u said NO, you think that would really stop them.
i think theyd ask juss to be polite, but really they can do anything they want!

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by meathed

This was a thread about aliens that ended up getting hijacked by religous types.

The entire thread had a religious overtone. The topic was, directly, whether or not we would radically change our faith based upon what an alien species says. If the thread has been hijacked by religious types, then they've hijacked the subway, because we're still running the same route.

According to you christians the world was made in 6 days and the lord had a rest day on the 7th.

This is going to go right over your head, but I'll say it, anyway - just giving you fair warning.

While Christianity can be considered a collection of common faiths, it is -not- one religion. Presbyterians are considerably different from Catholics, not just in church function and responsibility (a church still has to pay the bills, manage finances, pay wages, etc) but also in the held beliefs. Presbyterians are not nearly as strict on views of the afterlife, and theological discussion is encouraged.

What is theology? Your views about the spiritual aspect of the world. For example - I believe in the same God that many of my fellow church-goers believe in. I, however, do not often take a literal interpretation of scripture - IE, a "day" can simply be an 'era' spanning billions of years. I'm also not at all upset about evolution from a religious standpoint (I believe the theory has many errors and is not scientifically viable) - it's not at all heretical to believe that God modified his own creations over time.

And that in your books only happened 3000bc or what ever number you want to throw at it.

You're referring to some monk, bishop, or some other guy with too much time on his hands - I forget his name. He went along and attempted to add up all of the time accounted for in mainstream biblical scripture (the problem you run into, really quickly, here, is that the Bible and Torah are not all-inclusive; they lack scriptures that were deliberately excluded or simply were not known to be included). He came up with some number in the thousands of years, and concluded that's how old everything was.

Again - that's with literal interpretation. When humans enter the picture, you can get a little more concrete with things - but, mostly, you're looking at people trying to use scripture in ways it was never really intended. Sure - some people out there will tell you the Earth is only a few thousand years old and cite the Bible.

Personally - I leave it at "there's a God, He/she/it made everything, I want to find out how." Therefor, discovery and science is my innate sense of worship. I enjoy finding new puzzles to the universe. It doesn't trouble me to think "religion" or "science" is wrong. In fact, I enjoy it more when both are wrong and I get to laugh as my ego inflates.

Your the one thats dreaming.

I must be. Only my own masochistic senses of self-loathing could populate the planet with such a homogeneous prevalence of frustration-inducing incompetence.

"A nightingale in a golden cage
That's me trapped inside reality's maze

Can someone make my heavy heart light
it all starts with a lullaby."

I find myself being more and more compelled to leave song quotes that come to mind when prompted with silly posts or just amusingly pertinent - "They're coming to take me away!"

- Quality Certified, Funny Farms inc.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Visiting ESB

if i were to leave then id have 100000% trust in any higher power. who is to say our God[s] arnt aliens....

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join