It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State of emergency declared, NewMexico running out of natural Gas!!!!!!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I've never seen weather like we've had in the past 2 days. Yesterday morning, it was eight below when I took the dogs out in the morning. Just a dusting of snow, but it's been REALLY cold! It got up to 22 yesterday. We've had all kind of trouble keeping our water from freezing! We're expecting a warming trend today - 33 degrees for a high.

We don't use natural gas, so this issue hasn't affected us, fortunately.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

they are from the above posters links

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
All your gas, your gas, belong, belong to us. You have no chance to survive. Make your time.

EDIT: This is not the same graph I saw before, but it's close.

thisistheendoftheworld.com...
edit on 4-2-2011 by Lazarus Short because: (no reason given)

Here's another:

standeyo.com...
edit on 4-2-2011 by Lazarus Short because: adding another graph link

Oh, wait, it's a Stan Deyo link - "Deyo, deyo, dey-dey-dey-dey-o, 2012 come an' I wan' go home..."

BTW, my jokes are not lame - they reside in wheelchairs.
edit on 4-2-2011 by Lazarus Short because: a bit of humour...

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Its New Mexico for pete's sake? Who cares? Its a worthless state that has never contributed anything anyways?

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded
Its New Mexico for pete's sake? Who cares? Its a worthless state that has never contributed anything anyways?

New Mexico is the Land of Enchantment. Wherever you live must be the Land of Disenchantment.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Lazarus Short

Land of enchantment?
Keep tryin kid!

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Jophiel

In reference to your question about outages and what would cause them.

Theory 1
Pressure vessels (through wich the gas flows and is processed) are given a M'___' rating (Minimum Design Metal Temperature) if the steel falls below that M'___' then there is a chance that brittal fracture will cause a catestrophic failure of the steel. This is one of the theories behind the failure of the Titanic.

In Alberta where I live the vessels are designed with a M'___' of -40F or -60F in the southern US it's common to design with a M'___' of -8F or even +4F. If the air temperature dropped low enough that the steel got close to the M'___' they would either need to heat the steel (which is really hard to do for a whole facility) or depressurize the vessel. This would mean that only the gas in the pipelines would be there, no new gas could be added (or at least not by a shut down facility) As people used the gas out of the pipelines the pressure would decrease and eventually it would drop below pressure where the valves would stay open and shut the whole system down. It would take a few days or even a week of warm positive weather to heat the steel to where they could restart the plants. I know it's happened before in other places in the world, and it's done as a last resort to prevent a failure.

Theory 2

The control valves on the pipelines have electronics, again they are rated for a temperature. I know we got one once at a facility up here that was built in Texas and the electronics weren't designed for Canada cold. When it got below freezing the electronics stopped working and the valve did what it does in a electronic failure, shut. This stopped gas flow. This type of problem would be more local as the valves would fail in a range of temperatures resulting in some still working while other areas lost gas flow.

Hope that helps.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
well in that case they need to move fast. they gotta have to depend on tourism for money like dubai when they attract people with huge or new things lol idk something that the new M could get tourist carrying money i guess , this could help them boost up and keep/get new jobs or so.

i feel sorry for them, reminds me of me when i was working in a ompany that lost business that it took difficult time for me to find work to pay for college fees

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded
Its a worthless state that has never contributed anything anyways?

Indeed! Ever hear of the first Atomic Bomb Blast?
How about the VLA (Very Large Array)?
Surely you've heard of Roswell, NM...
And then there's Los Alamos Lab's rich history of having the world's Fastest Supercomputer
Maybe you've never heard of White Sands Missile Range
And... we have the oldest continuously occupied community in the United States, at Acoma Pueblo

Not to mention our contributions to Space Exploration and Space Travel...

And I haven't even touched on the FOOD, the beauty and the wonderful culture of the people here!

Sorry for the off topic post, but some ignorance just begs to be addressed.

edit on 2/4/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
And who has the most natural gas globally listed as a natural re$ource?

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

My sentiments exactly ... and by the way there use to be a huge Natural Gas feeder line coming into the Northwest corner of New Mexico up around Chamas ... haven't a clue why its frozen up. Only know that we never have any trouble with our gas lines on the North Slope of Alaska ... its the dump oil spills from the corrosion.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I am sure they have laid many sons and daughters on the altar of freedom in the history of the US!!! Probaly don't know much about the history of the code talkers do ya? You must be part of the young group of the dumbed down generation?

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Oh my god..I need to go lie down. I've either mellowed in my older age or I'm sick, I starred and agreed with a post by Benevolent Heretic. I should go check my temperature.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I've never seen weather like we've had in the past 2 days. Yesterday morning, it was eight below when I took the dogs out in the morning. Just a dusting of snow, but it's been REALLY cold! It got up to 22 yesterday. We've had all kind of trouble keeping our water from freezing! We're expecting a warming trend today - 33 degrees for a high.

I live in Alberta I wonder if your getting the same artic front that came through here last weekend, we had 5 days of temperatures below -45F and 2 feet of snow in 48 hours. Below -35F the diesel vehicles won't start as the glow plugs can't warm the fuel enought, they left them running for days, heck the gas stations will fill a running diesel rather than have it fail to restart.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by exile1981
Oh my god..I need to go lie down. I've either mellowed in my older age or I'm sick, I starred and agreed with a post by Benevolent Heretic. I should go check my temperature.

Hey, that just proves it happens to the best.

reply to post by exile1981

It could be the same front. It's over now, thankfully. We're looking at sunny, gorgeous days ahead.
I don't know how you do it up there, but now I can say I know what it feels like to have moisture freeze on my eyelashes!
Strange!

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
[It could be the same front. It's over now, thankfully. We're looking at sunny, gorgeous days ahead.
I don't know how you do it up there, but now I can say I know what it feels like to have moisture freeze on my eyelashes!
Strange!

If it gets cold enough you'll get icicles hanging from your nose hair. It freezes as soon as it leaves your nose. Nothing like it, most people where a scarf over there nose so the ice freezes to the outside of the scarf. Actually not sure how you guys do it. In the summer it's too hot and sticky to even want to wear clothes. In the cold you can add more layers, but in the two hot weeks in July you hit a point where you can't take off anymore clothes with out getting arrested walking to the store.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

How about all of the science and aerospace research, art, culture and history that they have contributed to the great USA? NM is an amazing mix off all of those things. There is also the natural beauty of New Mexico. If you think that nothing is there then you really should visit because you are in for a treat. The food is good too. Santa Fe is one of my favorite cities in the nation.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
The failure of gas supplies is the pumping stations in west Texas have been under going electrical brown outs . Then when the compresser stations go down because of no electricity or low voltage the pumps shut down.

Personally I am amazed that the gas for the mid and lower section Of New Mexico is coming from Texas Many places in NM have Huge natural gas reserves. It must be the areas with the gas are selling it out of state and NM customers are having to buy ours from Texas . Gotta love the economics that causes problems like this .

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
No gas for 10,000 homes in northern NM maybe for days - CBS report 2/4/11 Taos, NM

edit on 4-2-2011 by flyingviolet because: link

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I am in Southwest NM, I am happy to report I kept all my fingers and toes although barely; we are very thinned-blooded people and 10 degrees feels like below. I had my first rolling blackout today and the City of Las Cruces has been shut down for three days now.

I have a fire place which has been going continuously for three days, the gas is pumping out only when the electric is on and I have restricted all outside animals to their quarters. I was shocked and amazed to see the water freeze up the lines; thankfully I solved this with more electrical use and I began heating the pump house. I have a friend that has not used her toilet in three days...Oh dear, I am not walking in her yard this Spring!

This was a good "test" for us here in the Land of Enchantment; it is time to realize that one day there will be no services for anyone and we will have to figure it out. I am realizing the need for a heavier jacket and I did manage to find a scarf; gloves are on my list!

Funny how all the City Facilities shut down but ole' Hobby Lobby kept those poor folks working until closing; got to keep that cheap chinese plastic flowing! I asked and my friend at Hobby Lobby said that there were a few shoppers! LOL

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join