It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State of emergency declared, NewMexico running out of natural Gas!!!!!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Thursday governor Martinez declared a state of emergency
due to a state wide gas shortage.video many state workers have
been sent home

Natural Gas Outages in New Mexico - tens of thousands with no gas/heat Share23 1 by KimD Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 02:27:46 PM PST Because of the extreme cold, and In large part due to the rolling blackouts and shortages in Texas, many cities in New Mexico are also experiencing rolling blackouts, and several towns have announced they will run out of natural gas shortly. More info here Residents across the state are being asked to lower thermostats and restrict natural gas usage. The governor has declared a State of Emergency due to the shortage. Santa Fe public schools canceled all after school activities, and if the shortage continues all schools will be closed tomorrow. Heating centers will be opened in Santa Fe should natural gas service in Santa Fe be disrupted. Note: I posted this over on DK4 - it initially began as a test diary but I've kept it updated as the situation becomes more serious. Since some people here might need to know about it, I decided to copy and paste it over here. * KimD's diary :: :: * Updated to add Cities currently affected: Albuquerque, Alamogordo, Bernalillo, Espanola, Placitas, Questa, Red River, Silver City, Taos and Tularosa. Also just announced that Kirkland Air Force Base has had the natural gas shut off and everyone will be leaving by 2pm. 2nd Update - If by any chance anyone in Espanola is reading this, the Animal Shelter is without heat and water and is desperately seeking electric heaters and people to foster animals for the next 24 hours. Info here Also, state employees sent home today. Electric usage is also being affected. Governor now asking people to reduce use of electricity, turn thermostats down, and go to warming shelters if necessary. Explaining that using electric heaters (increasing electrical use) will affect the compressors (?) thus making it more difficult to get the natural gas. I didn't understand what she said. (Added - the gas compressors are out of service because of rolling electrical outages) Update 4 (I goofed and in update 3 just changed text) - The city of Taos now has no gas, and has declared an emergency, and is opening shelters. And moving up from comments: the Espanola Animal Shelter has no gas (heat) or water, and is asking for emergency donations of heaters (even to borrow) or for people that can foster animals for the next 48 hours. Update 5: Communities effected include: * Taos * EspaÃÂÂÂ 02;ÂÂÂÂ 02;ÃÂÂÂR 18;ÂÂÂÂ 77;ola * Tularosa * Alamogordo * Silver City * Questa * parts of Rio Rancho * parts of Bernalillo * Placitas * Kirtland Air Force Base * parts of Otero County * La Luz Sandia National Lab sent workers home because of no gas. Read more: ABQNews: UPDATED: Martinez Declares State of Emergency Update 6: More information from Taos here Residents buying up water and food expecting extended gas and possibly electrical outages. Update 7: From NMGCO (New Mexico Gas Company) website, Natural gas service has been disrupted to Santa Clara Pueblo, Okway Owingeh Pueblo and portions of San Ildefonso Pueblo and Santa Ana Pueblo. Also, once they have the necessary gas supplies to restore service, every single home or business will need to be re-lighted individually. That could take days. Emergency updates and most current information at the NMGCO website here NO word from the Gas Company or anyone else on whether they expect the shortages to expand. It's been several hours since there has been any new information.

i live in this state and they are setting up shelters
and advising people go light on the remaining gas!

edit on 3-2-2011 by Jophiel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
extreme cold is not something i would associate with new mexico although i have never been there myself so i am clueless, does it get very cold there and if so, then how cold ?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by lewman

it does get cold here in winter, but
not this cold, some places have been
in the negatives , which is way below
average.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
they said on the news , that it was currently colder here
than it was in Alaska, there have been no updates on the shortage
of gas, all state offices are closed, because of the shortage.,

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Jophiel

wow thats not what you would expect from that kind of area, i hope every one will be ok especially the old and vunerable

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by lewman
reply to post by Jophiel

wow thats not what you would expect from that kind of area, i hope every one will be ok especially the old and vunerable

me too, thank god i have propane
but many here do not, i pray for
those people and hope they go to
the shelter instead of trying to tuff this out.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
its never that cold there. I have family worried living there!!! They are freaking out

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by syncelebrity
its never that cold there. I have family worried living there!!! They are freaking out

very true, we were not expecting it to hit us this hard
and be this cold, my water has been frozen for a day
now, ice forming on the inside of my windows, despite
the heater being on, roads are really bad, i thought it
warm up today, the news said it would, but its just as cold
if not colder, only diffrence is there is no snow. now we
have this shortage.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I live in northern NM and am not affected at the moment, my propane tank is full but I worry about my family/friends who live in these other areas affected by the shortage. We have been setting records with extreme lows, tonight will be -14 or so. I just heard of a person in Raton whose dog froze to death last night. I wonder if this shortage will be temporary. Forecasters say temperatures should be warming up in the 40's soon thank goodness. Would appreciate some prays and positive thoughts sent our way, thanks.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Jophiel

They are not running out of Gas, and an emergency was not declared because of that. The State of Emergency was issued because of the storm and gas outages, not shortages.

Las Crucis News

LAS CRUCES - Governor Susana Martinez has declared a state of emergency in response to natural gas outages across New Mexico. She has ordered all non-essential state personnel home.
According to a statement, "Disruptions in gas service have been reported state-wide. Please limit gas usage to preserve service across the state. Turn your thermostat down, dress in layers and, if possible, use alternate sources of heat. Do not use unvented heaters, grills, propane or kerosene heaters or camp stoves inside homes or enclosed spaces. Check on neighbors and friends especially elderly, sick or homebound. Updates will be posted on the New Mexico Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management Website."

For concerns, questions and further information, please contact your local non-emergency services.

Information from New Mexico Gas Company regarding updates and resources can be found online at www.nmgco.com...

Would it be posible to not exagerate the news.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Yeah I live in Los Lunas, and their telling us to turn the thermostat way down.

I've been in NM my whole life and we never get temps this low.

They cancelled all schools cuz the batteries in the buses were frozen.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

they have not given any updates, maybe the outage
is due to us running out, what would cause that many
locations to have a outage?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

and do not come on here trying to say
this isint news, you do not live here
and cannot even spell lascruces

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I am somewhat skeptical regarding this claim of running out of natural gas, as far as I recall the US has always claimed to have huge reserves of natural gas.
At the moment, I am consulting a book in my library from 1963, Time-Life published. Regarding natural gas reserves, this volume, titled "Energy," lists the estimated global energy reserves of several items. Out of a world total of 2,585,256 billion cubic feet (bcf) of natural gas, the U. S. is claiming 1,249,620 bcf. The next largest reserve listed is USSR (at that time,) at 836,610 bcf.
The book claims that the Globe's fossil fuels would last for a century-and-a-half, while promoting nuclear power as the fuel of the future.
This former agenda may have been subverted for some reason. I recall the nuclear push as a youngster, then suddenly it was portrayed as "evil and banned."
Folks with too much money and power are exerting such, IMO.
Water, power, food. Global. No one should have the power to control all these resources to the detriment of the majority, IMO.
Blessings to NM.
edit on 3-2-2011 by CestLaVie because: spelling! hahah

edit on 3-2-2011 by CestLaVie because: punctuation

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
the coldest temp ever in newmexico
was in 1951 in Galvin -50 degrees.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Jophiel

I am starting to hear from my friends IN New Mexico and they have confirmed that the blackouts are a FACT. Yes, the hard times ARE here

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by FrankieNinja

i didnt find out until i went to
pay my water bill and the office
was closed with a note on the door
saying due to the gas outage, we will
be closed until further notice., i was like
what!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
talk about blackouts... twitter just went berserk about blackouts
about Brazil and white house emails?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Jophiel

Got a link for these tweets?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
reply to post by Jophiel

Got a link for these tweets?

for the brazil one , search breaking news source, the whitehouse one i just find out is nothing major

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join