It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is Egypt protesting and USA not?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ruffagii

I follow you. In that same vein, how much of the world's opinion about the US and what we do is based on disinformation or lies fed to them by their government/media complex?

I do, however, have a problem with the rest of the world looking to the US to help their situations. For example, a revolt in the US would change things globally, as one person stated. It won't. History has passed from one empire to the next, the UK being previous holder and China or India ready to follow the US in that role. Unless people fight (and I mean physically fight, like the labor unrest of the late 19th and early 20th century in the US), for their own freedoms inside of their own country (like Egypt), they are never going to achieve it.

I guess I'm tired of everyone expecting the US to be a world role-model and then tirelessly attack us when we don't live up to, albeit our own, standard. Its like looking to Pop Stars of Athletes as role models. Their hard-work or drive may be admirable, but the partying and breaking the law is less desirable.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Well i'm glad your happy, everyone deserves to be happy. I apologize that you felt hurt by my post, but i dont apologize for the post. You may not feel that your living with less freedoms but thats kind of the point.... If you don't notice, the governement is doing they're job.

I want to know people who are pissed off and why? I want to KNOW your side of why things arent okay with the way the U.S is being run?
Also I do want to hear from people who are happy with where their at and dont think their govenment is limiting their freedoms because you need both sides of the story.

Are you happy with the way things are going? Why?
Are you unhappy with the way things are going in ? Why arent you doing something about it?
I agree to a post on here that the revolution of the american citizen would be supported by the entire population. I cannot state how true that is. If I found out the US citizens were having a revolution because their government is becoming a tyrant. Damn right my door would be open.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by srbouska
Well i'm glad your happy, everyone deserves to be happy. I apologize that you felt hurt by my post, but i dont apologize for the post. You may not feel that your living with less freedoms but thats kind of the point.... If you don't notice, the governement is doing they're job.

I want to know people who are pissed off and why? I want to KNOW your side of why things arent okay with the way the U.S is being run?
Also I do want to hear from people who are happy with where their at and dont think their govenment is limiting their freedoms because you need both sides of the story.

Are you happy with the way things are going? Why?
Are you unhappy with the way things are going in ? Why arent you doing something about it?
I agree to a post on here that the revolution of the american citizen would be supported by the entire population. I cannot state how true that is. If I found out the US citizens were having a revolution because their government is becoming a tyrant. Damn right my door would be open.

i think we need more US citizens opinions on this, just because some rich white folk said she's happy with her life doesn't mean the whole US is happy. I currently live in US, and i see that this country treats dogs and cats 100 times better than its own citizens.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Comparing the living standards of those in Egypt with those in America will reveal why the Egyptians are protesting. Despite what you think about your government, it is not a tyranical dictatorship. You have not been living under emergency powers for the last 20 years. You are a free democracy with social justice. Egypt is a dictatorship with no social justice.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Because there are a good number of people that are just ignorant and distracted. People here are so afraid to make a few waves or stir the pot out of fear of being called some sort of name. They do not know what their rights really are. As long as facebook is up and running and able to make status updates is the most important thing at the moment. Don't get me wrong, facebook has a place and a useful function, but America only uses it for instant gratification, not to accomplish anything constructive.

To put it quite simply, the citizens of Egypt actually care about their country and have expectations and will not accept anything less, and they are willing to put it all on the line(there was a time, America was like that too). But we Americans fall for the news headlines like, "Stocks make big jump", "unemployment is down", "housing market shows signs of improvement" and we just take it at their word and further extend our complacency and TPTB strangle hold of our lives. Then two days later, other headlines come out contradicting the previous headlines, its a cycle of disinformation and no one wants to see it.

I am all for a revolution as long as it is peaceful. However, there are two ways to go about it. One way is voluntarily which the people set it off with a firm objective and a common goal and making these demands known. The other way, well, not so good, but a forced revolution. This will occur when things get to the point when that is the only option left and it will get set off without any organization or common goal, which will only lead to bloodshed because no one will know what they are fighting for or whose side they are on.

Then people start making excuses as to why they cant do anything about it. My favorite excuse is, "my job keeps me so busy", well gee, these corporate slave drivers are pretty slick aren't they? Nobody can make that connection, sounds like oppression to me.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

I too love America, I am a Veteran of OEF and love what this Country once stood for. That is right "ONCE". How can you honestly write that without getting a churning feeling in your stomach? We have no Rights anymore, and this Country is so far behind in sooooooo many things. Please wake up!! If you were a TRUE American you wouldn't give such lame response.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
The US only helps itself in world situations. That's why they're "helping" in countries like Nigeria that have oil but not places like Darfur that are just desert. It's the greediest regime on the planet.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Exactly my point. America is not a dictatorship and why would millions of people want to get here so bad, and even die trying?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ruffagii

I think your reply to her is also a classic, publicly-educated, union teacher fed, anti-authority, everyone is wrong but us, leftist response.

By the way, where's your stats on how many the US have directly or indirectly (define indirectly, as in actually proven US involvement or perceived US involvement) caused more deaths than both World Wars combined? Does that include both wars? How far back are we going? How much killing has the US done relative to say Great Britain at the height of its empire?

She voiced her opinion as asked by the OP and you insulted her, creatively insulted, but insulted none the less.

link   
reply to post by srbouska

Because despite the common mood on ATS, things in the US are nowhere near as bad as things in Egypt. Or Tunisia. or Jordan. Or any of these other spots. Things aren't great, but we can hardly compare.

link   

Agreed and a great point but the thing is the U.S is headed down a rabbit hole sorry... being SHOVED down a rabbit hole by corporations dealing in greed and human lives... and at the bottom of this rabbit hole is a dictatorship, and if you dont see it your already to far down the hole.
I think before things get worse Americans need to stand up and use what they have for hte right purposes, like someone said about facebook being useful, So USE IT. can you IMAGINE if every American who had facebook changed their status to "I'm done being a corporate slave, I'm no longer buying anything from walmart". Can you IMAGINE what that would actually do?!?

link   
reply to post by jasonkrice

My response came from a point of comparing America to any other country out there. No kidding it's not perfect, that's for sure. But I'd sure as heck would rather be here than in say, Egypt, or China or Mexico and the list goes on.....

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Because us Westerns are under SO MUCH STRESS.... More so than ANY other continent.

Careers, kids, look a certain way, keep up with the devices, the news, internet, everyone[mostly] having a stature to live up to... Not saying other countries dont have to deal with all that, because they do, but you can walk down the street without shoes in Egypt and NEVER get looked at the wrong way.

If you don't put deoderant on here and people find out, your day is ruined.

lol

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Revolution you want?

Just wait until the forecoming weather systems put a grinding halt to the NFL and any other outdoor sport & possibly indoor sport due to travel.

Then factor in the unemployed and disgruntled stumbling upon ATS and learning all the dirty little secrets about their governments...

Combine those with the upcoming FAMINE that has been predicted for years... ( + mobility issues of food transportation)

Harvests don't do too well in the ice.

M

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

I have been fortunate enough to experience life in other Countries, and yes I would much rather be here than to be anywhere else, but we shouldn't just settle for par, when we know we are capable of so much more.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

Because despite the common mood on ATS, things in the US are nowhere near as bad as things in Egypt. Or Tunisia. or Jordan. Or any of these other spots. Things aren't great, but we can hardly compare.

So, do we just sit around waiting for things to get worse(we have certainly proven we are good at that), because it is going to, or do we act like empowered responsible citizens and be proactive and make things happen that benefits everyone? People truly do not understand the power of numbers and the power of the people. Governments are terrified of that, so damnit, I say make them terrified.
edit on 3-2-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenofsheba

Exactly my point. America is not a dictatorship and why would millions of people want to get here so bad, and even die trying?

Because it's LESS of a dictatorship!!!!

Just because a prisoner has the freedom to chew his food as quickly or as slowly as he wants doesn't make HIM free.
Most people in this country are just happy that we have the freedom to choose McDonalds or Burger King,
Wal-Mart or Target, left or right,Democrat or Republican,Liberal or Conservative. It makes the rest of us who are pissed off about other, more important freedoms being taken from us look like little cry babies. Just because you are comfortable in your prison cell doesn't mean the rest of us are.
edit on 3-2-2011 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Just wait my friend this was a test this was only a test it will be almost as if every week a new country is protesting and wide spread violence they have us fighting each other

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

EXACTLY what i'm talkin about.
The world is run by a few, so if the worlds run by a few, each country is run by fewer.
There's one thing missing from the united states, went missing a loooooooong time ago.. its a word that describes many different thing but its the action of it that can move a mountain...
Passion.
People need Passion.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Well we do not have a choice, You should research more on the new world order and I'm sure it is something almost every member on ATS is familiar with, Its very real. The introduction of only electronic and the ban on using physical money so the government may suspend your bank account at any time. The introduction of the RFID chip as a means of identification, Without it you can no longer become a citizen. I can't get into all of it right now but just search it up, I'm sure a quick search on the ATS threads will lead you up to a treasure of knowledge.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join