It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some fins up! 100,000 sharks mass off Florida's beaches

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Some fins up! 100,000 sharks mass off Florida's beaches

www.dailymail.co.uk

This is quite a shark tale.

Pilot Steve Irwin was astonished after spotting a mass of more than 100,000 sharks swimming just 100 yards off Florida's sandy beaches.

The long-time fisherman and marine technology expert was cruising 300ft above the clear waters in his helicopter on Sunday when he came across the astonishing scene.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
This is quite an awesome display of nature, and an amazing amount of sharks to congregate in one place.

With the strange and mysterious bird and fish deaths lately, one might pause to wonder what would have driven this massive school of sharks together just off the South East Florida Coast.

A couple hundred yards off shore is a bit too close for comfort and indeed the photographer who took the pictures from his helicopter over head saw a number of break away schools of sharks swimming amidst oblivious bathers who had no idea they were there.

While much of the nation has been hit by back to back winter storms, South Florida has been having a fairly mild winter with most daytime temperatures well into the 70’s and low 80’s.

I do wonder whether some of them are displaced from the Gulf of Mexico looking for cleaner waters, or if there is something else man made or natural that is causing these strange occurrences in the animal and bird kingdom.

The spectacle of so many predators is amazing; the article includes the video captured from the helicopter pilot’s phone.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Or it could be that anamoly out off the coast of southern georgia. There is a thread on here about it. Maybe they are swimming away from this supposed anomaly.??
edit on 3-2-2011 by mutantgenius because: Wrote northern georgia, but meant southern!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by mutantgenius
Or it could be that anamoly out off the coast of northern georgia. There is a thread on here about it. Maybe they are swimming away from this supposed anomaly.??

Sharks annually migrate to warmer waters around this time of year (or so they say) but this is very big population of them.

I don't think it has anything to do with what's going on in Georgia though I will look for the thread. Largely because the sharks are migrating from the South to the North up along the Florida Coast towards the general direction of Georgia as opposed to away from it.

Everything should be looked at though, so thanks for sharing that.

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by mutantgenius

Or they migrated down and then found Corexit-contaminated waters and are trying to figure out where to go next.

In other words, they are now displaced. They came to the GoM as usual and found that it was uninhabitable. Now they need to readjust their patterns.
edit on 2/3/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Probably. Poor things. Although the deepwater disaster is generally off everyones mind now that its "over" its still on my mind and i dont think its over...

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Here we go again

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I don't feel the need to explain this yet again. I have already explained it in 2 other posts this will be the 3rd day in a row this has been posted!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by mutantgenius

Or they migrated down and then found Corexit-contaminated waters and are trying to figure out where to go next.

In other words, they are now displace. They came to the GoM as usual and found that it was uninhabitable. Now they need to readjust their patterns.
edit on 2/3/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

This is highly possible. One long time Florida resident posting to the comments section of the Daily Mail article recalls seeing a similiar migration in the 70's.

So it would be interesting to find out if that was following the similiar well leak that happened off the Quintana Roo Coast of Mexico in the late 70's, where the oil company seemed to do pretty much everything BP did in a six month plus effort to cap the well.

It could be the high concentration of oil, or methane eating up the oxygen in the water, or the Corexit and chemicals or a combination that might be causing the sharks to migrate away from it.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Funny how it took a UK paper to report it..

One commentor says they lived in the area and have seen this before, or similar..
We've also seen large schools in Australia..
Cool, but maybe not that unusual..

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
That is an awesome display. Mysterious thing, this nature business lately.

I had a pilot friend tell me some time ago, you would never get in the waters off Florida again if you could go up and see the beaches from the air. Sharks and schools of Barracuda.

I don't think even he would imagine this.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Its the gamma ray burtst that happened in Atlantic Ocean, something is emerging from the middle of Atlantic Ocean

link   
This is definitely the 4th thread I have seen on this as well. Got lot of people saying north movement from the south and vice versa, which is which?

link   
reply to post by backinblack

Amen to that! Next topic?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

Hey but this comment made me laugh..

Now we just have to figure out how to get Sarah Palin to swim among them. Would telling her that they are a large pod of dolphins do the trick?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

HAHA okay so there was some entertainment here I suppose.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre
Here we go again

I don't feel the need to explain this yet again. I have already explained it in 2 other posts this will be the 3rd day in a row this has been posted!

Sounds like a real tale of tragedy and woe there my friend, I am so distressed to hear your endeavors on ATS are so stressful and have you feeling so put upon.

I can certainly understand your need to share that far more than some information about 100,000 potentially deadly predators swimming just a few hundred yards from my home.

Why make it about the Sharks when we can make it about you!

Thanks for posting.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Sharks with laser beams on their heads!!!! She is a sporty gal after all, gotta give her some credit. I think she'd be dense enough to jump right in there though.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

it is north to south. Why would they go south to north if it is cold north?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
This is normal for this time of year. I live here in Jupiter Florida. It is their migration season. They warn you not to go in the ocean around this time of year because they come real close to shore. They show it on our local news daily. There is no conspiracy here. It is normal.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

I posted about myself ? Please point this out to me

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join