It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World of two halves! Map shows most of Northern Hemisphere is covered in snow and ice.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by spikey
reply to post by boo1981

Personally, i *love* the snow!

I hoping we get a lot more of it, so i can take the kids out sledging again!

At least if you're cold, it's easier to get warm...if you're too hot (I don't like the heat), it's much harder to get cool.

I would have to fully agree with you on that statement. I hate being to hot. The cold i can manage. I prefer it to heat any day.

I would love more snow too, i got my kids a sledge last year and they loved it!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

Wow. That is friggin' ridiculous.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Well, that will certainly make you stop and go "hmmm...." Although where I am it really hasn't been that much colder. We have had a few vicious cold snaps, but overall it has been pretty warm for winter. It was raining in January for goodness sakes... In Montana. Which is weird. It has however, been a very, very wet year. Alot of precipitation. I don't know if this is par for the course for everyone else though. Does anyone have any data analysis on overall temperature and precipitation for this winter?
edit on 3-2-2011 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by jennybee35
reply to post by boo1981

Wow. That is friggin' ridiculous.

Could you please elaborate on what is ridiculous?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I remember this phenomenon. It used to occur when I was a kid. The northern hemisphere would be covered in snow for about 2-3 months out of the year.

Back then, we called it "Winter".

Glad it's back.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by redhorse

Right just had a very quick search for you and found a predicted precip/temp forecast for the US.

Temperature and Precipitation Prediction Maps For 2010-2011 Winter Season....October 12th 2010

LINK: www.liveweatherblogs.com...

I will now try to find the actual figures for December to beginning of February.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

Well........
I am in the blue strip in the mid Atlantic and can tell you for a fact that the temperatures where I am have been colder for longer this winter, and the rainfall/snowfall from May of last year until now has been very below average. We experienced/are still experiencing drought conditions and below normal temperatures.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

Excellent find. S&F&

Thanks.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Here we are NOAA have a State of the Climate
Global Analysis tool so you can take a look at global weather.

Here is December 2010

These graphs were from here: wattsupwiththat.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Its this thing called winter, happens once a year. If the icesheet would last well into spring, I would be worried. The icesheet reflecting much of the sunlight will make for a long winter.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cassius666
Its this thing called winter, happens once a year. If the icesheet would last well into spring, I would be worried. The icesheet reflecting much of the sunlight will make for a long winter.

I'm quite aware that it is winter. I'm not worried about anything.
I just wanted to share this amazing image with the people of ATS. Its not something you see all the time.

I kinda feel left out as my part of the UK has zero snow

It is mighty windy out there tonight, blowing a right gale.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

You should hear it [wind] coming down my chimney, I have the amp turned up quite high just so I can hear the telly!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by boo1981

You should hear it [wind] coming down my chimney, I have the amp turned up quite high just so I can hear the telly!

Believe me i can here it alright

My house is on the corner of our close so the wind rattles round it. Its like a lion roaring really load and angry. We have been forecast gust up to 57 mph through the night.

Mother Earth is not happy at all

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

Makes you sympathise with the folks of Queensland more with their 120mph winds, i think the worst we have had here (in my lifetime) was 100mph back in 1987, I remember seeing the caravan that was on the driveway doing somersaults across the lawn, lol.
edit on 3/2/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
So the point of this thread is that there is snow in:-
Canada
Alaska
Greenland
Russia
Norway
Sweden
Finland etc etc etc

Wow... Snow in Russia in the winter!!! An amazing a freakish occurrence

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Dave, I think the point of the story is that most of the Northern Hemisphere is covered, including parts of the UK, if you look at the map on the first page it's quite white, more so than normal from our perspective, maybe normal in the grand scheme of the earths history..........

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
So the point of this thread is that there is snow in:-
Canada
Alaska
Greenland
Russia
Norway
Sweden
Finland etc etc etc

Wow... Snow in Russia in the winter!!! An amazing a freakish occurrence

No the point of this thread is to share the image in the op and to also answer fellow posters. If you do not like my thread or can not contribute non sarcastic comments then please move along. Thank you!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Yes it dose make you think how lucky we are here.
I remember the 1987 storm very well. Total destruction, i think the southeast was one of the worst hit areas.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

The top of Scotland is always covered in snow in the winter too, it's a cold cold place, all of those countries are cold and it's the winter and it's snowing,,

Originally posted by boo1981

No the point of this thread is to share the image in the op and to also answer fellow posters. If you do not like my thread or can not contribute non sarcastic comments then please move along. Thank you!

That is a response to your OP it just happens to be one you don't like because I don't think it snowing in Alaska is an amazing event
edit on 3-2-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
We have a mini Ice Age on the way.

Three winters of snow and ice in the UK and much of Western Europe, after nearly a quarter century of no snow during winter.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join