It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World of two halves! Map shows most of Northern Hemisphere is covered in snow and ice.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Just came across this article and image of a snow covered Northern Hemisphere. The only countries not covered in the white stuff are the UK and a small part of Europe.

First the image:

A new satellite map by the government agency NOAA shows the extent of the snow blanketing a vast area from the west coast of Canada to eastern China

It looks like a graphic from a Discovery Channel programme about a distant ice age. But this astonishing picture shows the world as it is today - with half the Northern Hemisphere covered with snow and ice.
The image was released by the National Oceanic And Atmospheric Association (NOAA) on the day half of North America suffered in the grip of a severe winter storm.
The map was created using multiple satellites from government agencies and the US Air Force.

Stretching from the west coast of Canada to the eastern shores of China, the white stuff has rarely been shown covering this much ground.

LINK: www.sott.net...

Truly amazing image, there are also some other images in the article that are spectacular.

edit on 3/2/11 by boo1981 because: Missing info

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
food for thought

tnks OP

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

Its global warming I tell ya..!!!!!

But wow, that's a lot of the white stuff..
Seems odd that the UK is many clear yet many posters from there say it is snow covered..
How's that??

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by heineken

Sure is! I watched a documentary about what would the Earth be like in the next ice age.....and this was pretty much it.

It hasn't been to cold here in the UK, we seem to be on a roller-coaster of mild to cold mild to cold!!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by boo1981

Seems odd that the UK is many clear yet many posters from there say it is snow covered..
How's that??

I'm from the UK and i can confirm that there is NO SNOW here at all. Our weather has been up and down for weeks now. Since we had our little snow storm in December our weather has been a mix of mild to cold. Its so annoying because it can be cold the one day then mild the next. We had -2c on Tuesday and 8c yesterday.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

wow that is wild. what an amazing picture. i am fortunate to have been in the lower half of the states that are unaffected by this crippling winter storm. hoo-rah

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
And how much can we trust this picture?

I see Denmark is shown to be covered in snow as well, but we don't got that much snow anymore..

Our weather is changing from cold to warm, to now cold again. Its freezing here.

But not much snow. If anything at all.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by totalmetal

And i myself have been luck so to speak as i am in the snow-less UK.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Um.. not to split hairs but... Actually yes, there is in fact snow in the UK.
Scotland???
Unless someone has taken a bag of icing sugar to the tops of our hills in the central belt perhaps?
Also, the sattelite imagery posted in the OP clearly shows snow covering NW Scotland.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
if it is meant to be weather from now then it is hoax. I live in scotland (uk) and there is no snow here, but on the map we are covered....

kx

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by lovesfood
Um.. not to split hairs but... Actually yes, there is in fact snow in the UK.
Scotland???
Unless someone has taken a bag of icing sugar to the tops of our hills in the central belt perhaps?
Also, the sattelite imagery posted in the OP clearly shows snow covering NW Scotland.

Yes you are right and you can see the snow cover in Scotland on the map. I maybe should rephrase it to "England and Wales are snow-less"

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
if it is meant to be weather from now then it is hoax. I live in scotland (uk) and there is no snow here, but on the map we are covered....

kx

I'm guessing that from what this says:

The map was created using multiple satellites from government agencies and the US Air Force.

Then they may have taken the images from different days and pieced them together to give this image.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   

reply to post by boo1981

That's not how global warming works, Einstein. Global warming leads to extreme weather, not just warmer temps. Melting ice caps and glaciers can actually make the jet stream colder and increase extreme cold temperatures. Before just casting a theory aside, do SOME research.

Durr, it's cold, there must be no global warming!

Not saying androgenic global warming is a proven fact but just hoping to stop some of the ignorance.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

How can you call it a hoax, you can plainly see on that map that the whole of Scotland isn't covered, it's mostly the West of Scotland, I can see out of my window now that the south west is covered (great view over the solway firth), although here in Cumbria (England) there isn't any sign of it, except on the top of the fells/mountains.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I dont know about all this with the weather , for me we have a typical winter at where I am . I would say I am even a bit let down by the amount of snow that we had this winter , I wish we had some more. So now they are telling us on weather channel that it will start getting warmer , so if that was supposed to be the winter of the century (like some tv stations claimed here) then it was a huge let down
I live in Poland btw .

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

From Scotland here, and i can tell you for a fact we have snow, and we are expecting the weather to turn for the worse later in the week, and folk here say this is God's country,lol

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   

reply to post by boo1981

How's that??

It was covered a little while ago, but it warmed a bit so now it's mostly gone.

That sure is a lot of snow and ice, it does actually look like a mini ice age has started doesn't it!

So much for global warming then...it now becomes clear why governments have dropped the term 'global warming' in favour of 'climate change' doesn't it!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by spikey

Yes indeed. It is a shocking image, but also beautiful.

Originally posted by bobbydazzler
reply to post by backinblack

From Scotland here, and i can tell you for a fact we have snow, and we are expecting the weather to turn for the worse later in the week, and folk here say this is God's country,lol

Yes the weather here in the UK is going to take a turn for the worst. We have wind, some time gale force at times and rain forecast down here in England (southeast)

Are you going to be more of the same or will it be snow in Scotland?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

Personally, i *love* the snow!

I hoping we get a lot more of it, so i can take the kids out sledging again!

At least if you're cold, it's easier to get warm...if you're too hot (I don't like the heat), it's much harder to get cool.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Just came across another article.

This article has many more images of snow covered parts of the world.
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Louis Uccellini, director of the government's National Centers for Environmental Prediction, said the U.S. storm also drew strength from the La Nina condition currently affecting the tropical Pacific Ocean

A change is upon us.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join