It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revolution in Egypt – and the Hypocrisy of the US and the West

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Revolution in Egypt – and the Hypocrisy of the US and the West

www.andyworthington.co.uk

For the United States and other Western countries, the popular uprisings in Tunisia and Egypt (which threaten to spread to other countries, including Yemen and Algeria) are something of a nightmare. Just as the authorities in these countries are struggling — and failing — to cope with popular uprisings, so too the United States and other Western countries are rudderless when faced with an undefined enemy — and make no mistake about it, the people of foreign countries are the enemy when their revolts against dictatorship threaten Western interests.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.livestation.com
www.youtube.com
www.youtube.com
www.youtube.com

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
U.S. and Israel fears democracy in the Middle East otherwise, it will not be able subjugate us Arabs. U.S. says it gives aid to Egypt - that's military aid to suppress the people. The Egyptian police that is throwing the tear gas canister and gun shot - all made in U.S.A. Israel's Netanyahu said that the protesters are against democracy and talking rubbish that the Islamic extremists will take over. Egyptians are intellectuals and fed up with the government corruption.

Watch AlJazeera live - link below.

www.andyworthington.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by hezbgal

We don't fear DEMOCRACY and that is a misuse of the term. We do fear chaos spreading in the middle east and your so called DEMOCRATIC GOVERNMENT becoming one of Islamic law.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
"and make no mistake about it, the people of foreign countries are the enemy when their revolts against dictatorship threaten Western interests."

Says who? Some chump with a website?....

I disagree.

Sure if they band into the Muslim Brotherhood, steal and loot military bases and stock pile weapons for Jihad.... I don't think this is the case.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by hezbgal

You have to understand, that while America has a "free press" in the sense that our government is not restricting it, our "free press" is owned by and funded by the same people who own and fund our politicians. So we have the same net effect as if our press were run by the government.

The average American has no idea that their tax dollars are being funneled out of this country to support dictators and fake "democracy" in other countries. We dont even recognize that our own democracy is essentially a farce, our politicians do not listen to us, either, but we are still laboring under the illusion that our democracy is still functional.

Corporations and the wealthy own the media. We do not get information that would allow us to figure out that we are paying billions and trillions of dollars via taxes to make a handful of interests even wealthier at the expense of our own people, and at great cost to the people in other nations. We have no real awareness of that as a collective. We believe we support real democracy around the world. To be perfectly honest, if it werent for the internet, we would likely not be aware that this is a peaceful demonstration by the Egyptian people. If they COULD spin this as a terrorist issue, they would.

I dont know what the average American would do if they DID know, but when you address Americans, you have to understand that the majority of us have no idea what is going on around the world in any meaningful way. Most of us do not even know what our government is doing in the US in any meaningful way. Our media feeds us on crap, and we are for the most part, totally in the dark.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
While there Islam and Sharia in Egypt there cannot be individual rights.

We should be helping the Egyptians to fight against Jihad, to fight against Islam, to fight against Sharia. Instead we have done them a great disservice by supporting the very institutions that will now visit great ruin upon their nation.

I urge all Egyptians to apostate now. Turn to the West. Renounce Jihad.

Now is your chance to once again join us in the West.

Or slip further into the hands of Islam.

Now is the time.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by mike_trivisonno

Apparently it escapes you that by and large this is a secular protest. They are not trying to become an Islamic state, they want a democracy. A real one. Not a dictator that holds fake elections but who is supported by US tax dollars because he allows western corporate interests to trump the well being of his own people and people in the region in general.

The want what our founder fought for, won, and we have squandered and lost. They want a government that is responsive to its people.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

To fight against Jihad? Ok. To fight against Islam. NO. The only way that will happened is if someone was to exterminate every single Muslim, including myself. I do not know where your hatred for Islam comes from, I really don't, but do you think your making a positive difference by that comment? Not one bit.
edit on 2-2-2011 by Daniyal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

I have two threads for you to take a look at, and please fully understand whats being said. You dont have to read them if you wish but at least read the OP's. The first dates back to August of last year when someone here may finally have been able to predict a little piece of the future.

Muslim brotherhood

The so called Revolution

Please dont be afraid to steer yourself away from what the Main Stream Media are feeding you & make your own decision's. The official story is always what they want you to think
edit on 2-2-2011 by DarthPhobos because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

They want a government that is responsive to its people.

That is a nice ideal when the population itself is educated and responsive. But when three quarters of egyptians support killing in the name of their backwards religion, it can quickly lead to disaster instead of progress.

pewglobal.org...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
This is my take on the situation, The USA and every other country outside of Egypt needs to mind its own business. It's not our problem over here and we have enough to deal with here on our own. We would be a lot better off if we quit meddling, I get so annoyed when I hear Obama preaching to Egypt, not only him but every other president before him. No wonder we're so hated.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

They are radical not because of their religions, they are radical because of what the US and Israeli government support. If you want to see radical, look what the egyptian president did today and is doing right now.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by mike_trivisonno
While there Islam and Sharia in Egypt there cannot be individual rights.

We should be helping the Egyptians to fight against Jihad, to fight against Islam, to fight against Sharia. Instead we have done them a great disservice by supporting the very institutions that will now visit great ruin upon their nation.

I urge all Egyptians to apostate now. Turn to the West. Renounce Jihad.

Now is your chance to once again join us in the West.

Or slip further into the hands of Islam.

Now is the time.

I don't think you understand what "Sharia" or "Jihad" is. You talk about it like they are people you need to fight against. "Jihad" has nothing to do with religion (in fact, it translates to "struggle"); that's the West putting a spin on it. "Sharia" law (if that's what you mean) is something that is associated more with the Shiite Muslims (like in Iran), not the Sunni Muslims in Egypt. The Sunni believe in an agreed-upon leadership for their religion while the Shiites believe in a non-negotiable set of rules and their religions leadership must be blood-line affiliated with their prophet.

So, given that these guys are Sunni, this would be a functioning democracy in every sense of the world. No Sharia law, equal rights, etc, etc. Also, like the other poster said, this is more of a secular movement, anyway.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthPhobos

I will take a look at your threads at least the OP, but, it isnt the MSM that is feeding me any of this. I have been aware of our promoting fake democracy around the world and using violence to do so for a long time. We did it in South America, and the Iraq war is an example of it. Im sorry you buy that this is all about religion. Im sorry you overlook the fact that we (our tax dollars) support what no one in their right mind would call democracy in many places around the world.

American foreign policy is determined by what wealthy interests want. They want to extract oil and mineral wealth in the middle east? Then Americans will pay for that. Even when we the people do not benefit from this. We do not get the jobs, the wealth, and in fact, cheap oil helps to promote the export of American manufacturing jobs overseas.

Im not being fed anything. I am a very good analyst, and I have spent a long, long time watching and analyzing what is going on. You follow the money, my friend. Not the propaganda.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
In public we are hearing Mr Obama & other leaders hint that Mubarak should go, when secretly during his phone calls with Mr Mubarak he may well actually be telling him he is behind him & wants him to do everything he can to remain in power. If not then he sure is defying a lot of the western leaders in the grandest scale. Egypt is an ally of the west & with recent developments that could easily fall apart.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

You can make this about religion all you want. Whats going on in Egypt right now is not about religion. Its about corporatism, and America's support of it in the mid-East. If America was not promoting dictatorship and corporatism under the brand name "Democracy" extremists would probably not find the sympathy they get in some areas.

If we really stood for Democracy, we would not be hated around the world the way we are.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I think politics dictate that anyone with a horse in the race wait and see what happens- If they had stood up too soon to condemn Mubarak, which they probably should have, and the protests would have died out a week later, they would have damaged their relations with one of their only Arab allies.

Notice how as the protests are getting more and more serious the attitude towards Mubarak starts changing.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Maybe someone should point out that this is the same thing that happened in Iran 30 years ago.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

They have already done that. And they have even brought the former Shahs son out to question him. And he had a very strong opinion that this is NOT like what happened in Iran 30 years ago, and he supports the idea of real democracy in Egypt.

www.rezapahlavi.org...
edit on 2-2-2011 by Illusionsaregrander because: To add a link to the interview I mentioned.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
This Egyptian coverage has been streaming for days and days, i think the bottumline is going to be who takes power in Egypt now. whatever the case Israel, better keep an eye on this story. As to me this story is important but not important enough at this point for it to be streaming on all major cable news networks. Its called negative garbage news where morons appear spewing their 9 times outta ten times political rhetoric, that trully has not importance to our daily lives. I just dont get it I have been staring at a Egyptian street with people standing around since Monday morning.

I miss the days when the.
edit on 2-2-2011 special news alerts used to interrupt regular scheduled programing for crap like this. when something important occurs next do something like that instead of polarizing stupidity for days and days.

edit on 2-2-2011 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

top topics

<<   2 >>

join