It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are living in the Age of Enlightenment! Rejoice!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by sinohptik

None, but I do study science and math in my own free time, lest I claim nonsense as scientific. When you actually understand what's going on pop philosophy reveals its true nature.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

ah, i edited it to include "play"

either way.

This one will not personally get involved in such discussions. Im just not smart enough to understand anything scientific

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Please direct me to a quote where I said I could bend metal with my mind. Also, please direct me via quote to any "new age claims" I have made, and why you feel they are not legitimate. Please do not put words in my mouth.

The only "claims" I have made should have abundant evidence to prove themselves, and since you have a hobby for mathematics and physics, you should be fairly well versed in the basic concepts that I have espoused in my ramblings.

NEXUS

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Did I say you SPECIFICALLY made those claims? Nope. In general people make up claims like telekinesis is real or other stuff. These are the same people going on about the 'age of enlightenment'. When asked to justify their beliefs they'll just mention quantum physics, and since fairly few people try to actually go to read scientific treatises on it, everyone just says "oh ok". Quantum physics only applies to things on a quantum scale. I can assure you that you cannot bend metal with your mind or other such bold claims.

It's the people who think they're enlightened or reaching enlightenment who can use learning the basics of what they are talking about.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I think Amit Goswami, Ervin Laszlo, Bernard Haisch and David Bohm and John Bell, know their stuff fairly well.

Bell's Theorem
en.wikipedia.org...'s_theorem

Non-locality - proven.

And what are quantum objects anyway..?

Quantum stuff is foundational, who could argue against that?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by NoEXcUseS

Very nicely written my friend.

Good job for sure. Made me smile.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
every year can be the beginning of an age of enlightenment, consider the enlightenments
given humanity by the late Dr Linus Pauling, 2 time Nobel prizer...

the only thing about the enlightenments is the full acceptance of this knowledge into our
everyday lives... we tend to damper any enlightenment from its full blossom, i just
don't know why---perhaps its human nature

your idealism is clouding the issue

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
Did I say you SPECIFICALLY made those claims? Nope. In general people make up claims like telekinesis is real or other stuff.
Then why did this even come up? Are you trying to infer this and thus undermine and derail the intent of my thread? At least, it seemed like you were considering you replied to MY post and bet ME 100 dollars that I couldn't bend metal with mind powers. Either way, I don't really care.

It's the people who think they're enlightened or reaching enlightenment who can use learning the basics of what they are talking about.

Your perspective is all off mate. Everyone is within reach of enlightenment, at all times. The difference is, thanks to all of our recent scientific discoveries which back up ancient spiritual teachings, it can be grasped by people who don't/won't facilitate deep meditative and introspective thinking. It still requires intellect and deep understanding, but it is now available to many more people, in new and engaging formats.

NEXUS

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

your idealism is clouding the issue

I disagree, the idealism is the synthesis with which this new information can find expression in our lives at all moments, thus illuminating the path to Enlightenment. Without full understanding and integration of the information, it's useless. It must be related back to all that is already known or thought to be known. The compartmentalization of information is some machination of the mind... I wouldn't be able to explain except through "idealism". I see it expressed as the veil thrown over our eyes, as incarnations of the Oneness of the Universe who have forgotten that from which we came. We are a sub-consciousness of the One God-consciousness, an individuated awareness experiencing itself. And at this point I kind of lost my train of thought. It's late, and I have class tomorrow. Thank you so much for all the responses Brothers and Sisters! It fills my heart with joy to know that any others can relate to this message and feel it resonate within them.

NEXUS

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I gave my opinion of this generation who thinks they are enlightened. They speak about a lot of things they never truly bothered to learn about.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Hallelujah!
Sorry couldn't resist!
Yes, these are exciting times to live in. Our scientific knowledge is expanding all the time.
Enlightenment, yes, a noble goal definitely.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

On the contrary, I feel that, although I agree there are some who after being exposed to these abstract concepts don't understand them and then pass off their misunderstanding, I feel that by-and-large, these past few generations have no idea of the revelations our great thinkers have made. There is a gap somewhere between the scientific community's discoveries and the general public's awareness expansion. But now, in context, I understand the point you make, which is certainly valid.

NEXUS

Edit: I still can't shake the feeling that you are projecting your generalized sentiments onto me, specifically.

edit on 2-2-2011 by NoEXcUseS because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
apologies to OP for going off topic...

Originally posted by 547000
Quantum physics only applies to things on a quantum scale.

and this statement here is why you are going to eventually lose this argument.

i have taken a fascinating study recently of the question "can you hear the shape of a drum?" which is a question that has been extraordinarily difficult for physicists to answer. the answer, hush my mouth, has been found by applying quantum mechanical models to the acoustic waveform.

i bring this up not because i disagree that quantum mechanics is abused regularly, but rather, i feel your berating of this particular OP is very inappropriate.

...carry on...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Exactly what should we rejoice for that was not available 10 years ago? What makes this date very special? Haven't there been enlightened people in all the older ages? I just don't get it. It's just the beginning of a new age religion.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I'm starting to think that Newtonian Physics has been the illusion all along (as Quantum Physics will eventually prove to be as well when our understanding increases).

To the people saying that Quantum Physics only apply on a Quantum Scale...that scale is always "there". Its not like it disappears as soon as you stop thinking on that level. Oh wait it does
Jokes aside though, these are the mechanics that make up the fabric of the universe, so to say they have no effect on a macro level is IMO naive.

That's the key to all of this IMO - we are beginning to learn that not only is everything connected but that it exists in all different states at once and as the subjective observers, WE DECIDE HOW IT APPEARS.

Collectively, we've created a reality for ourslves that's lead us into a blind alley - now we have no choice but to become "enlightened" (I gave up that word a while back too). We now need to understand and accept that the world is what we make of it and as the OP has said, we can move towards an abundanced based world.

At that point individual people will be able to learn and grow at an even faster rate and who knows what will become possible.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Serizawa

Sorry if it wasn't clear, but this is not like a DAY of Enlightenment, this is an era. A chapter of human history unfolding before us, so to speak. It brings with it advanced knowledge which is available to more and more of our population, bringing our racial-consciousness closer to unity and understanding. It's not the birth of a new-age religion, it's been here all along. The difference is now we know it to be true, proven scientifically.

Let me be clear folks, this is the first time in human history where some areas of philosophical discussion can be taken to the next level, finally backed by concrete evidence. The Oneness in all things around us, the transiency of this material world, proven beyond a doubt by the most well-verified science to date.

NEXUS

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
OP, I understand your excitement. It is an exciting time to be alive!

I feel like I need to make a comment, however, regarding science talk when speaking of spiritual things. I do not think it is very useful. As someone who is formally educated in physics, I kind of cringe when people bring up quantum mechanics and particle physics (they aren't separate by the way, the field of particle physics is derived from the fundamental theory of quantum mechanics
) and whatnot as something resembling proof of spiritual things. It definitely does not proof anything spiritual. Furthermore, I feel it is somewhat besides the point to go down the line of proof in regards to spiritual things. Spiritual things are not meant to be proven by the scientific method. It goes against basic tenets, if you will.

That being said, rejoice! Rejoice in having the opportunity to learn through a life lived here on Earth.
edit on 2-2-2011 by roughhouse because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-2-2011 by roughhouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Please explain me this:

What is "enlightenment"? Is it some final goal from which on we cannot proceed? I hate to say, I actually agree with people like Dawkins here: we're better off without religion. It has caused so much negativity, so much BS. The more we let go of stupid beliefs and superstition, the closer we get to the actual "reality" (or at least. from our point of view).

But.. science has shown us that truth is usually stranger (and WAY more multi-dimensional) than fiction. So that doesn't really strip off the entire mystical aspects of existence itself. It's indeed true, that science has started to reveal and test way-out theories, that in one form or another exist in ancient scriptures (although in some primitive format).

So, I think we're best off letting go of superstition and put our trust on science. This also includes the stupid generalization and demonization of the s.c. "new-age" religion. Truth just may be the biggest "illuminator".

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
i would rather be ignorant. living in the woods hunting and gathering.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join