It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would U.S. citizens be able to oust our President as Egypt is attempting?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Movescamp

Your assessment of Jihad is incorrect. The method of breaking down the Jihad into the various camps and factions is a Western notion that is not applicable to Islamic Jihad. It pleases Jihadists that you are willing to compartmentalize what should be compartmentalized. All it does is make it appear that many little fights are going on, each with its own problems and conditions to consider.

There are no factions. There is The House of Islam and the House of War.

You have been greatly deceived.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Movescamp

Sorry. The US Military is perhaps the biggest dupe in all this. They have unwittingly advanced the goals of the Islamic Empire for decades.

This is because they probably hired a whole bunch of Islamic experts to "teach" them all about Islam. Fools. Never ever learn about Jihad or Islam from a muslim. Learn it from those who died in its wake.

edit on 1-2-2011 by mike_trivisonno because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
You have something called elections so you still have the last say...it seems people like to blame everything and anything except themselves, if America is a mess it is because the public as a whole allowed it to be by either being apathetic or voting for the same old status quo because they were fooled and blinded by cheap catch phrases, glitz and glam plus meaningless party politics. Time and time again i might add...so no 'revolution' is needed, just better educated and less gullible citizens.
edit on 1-2-2011 by Solomons because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by mike_trivisonno

Two people in the one thread that still believe in the election process, now thats a rarety these days, so you only have to wait two years before you believe you can make a change? You may not have that long!

sorry mike this post was meant in response to MOVECAMP.
edit on 1-2-2011 by lestweforget because: redirected

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I think the only way to ensure real, lasting change would be for everyone to walk out of their current lives, survival gear and knowledge in hand, and start afresh in the real world. If demand stopped, so would supply, it's just that a lot of people could never envisage being able to do this - the 'modern' society we exist in makes a laughing stock of those that would. I'm sat here typing on my laptop, a complete hypocrite, but I have already deleted my Facebook account, got rid of my mobile phone, and I'm about to tell my bank to forward their snotty letters to:

A Tent,
Somewhere.
HA1 WIN

Now I've just gotta sell this laptop to acquire the rest of the items on my outdoor survival list and I'm off

I can understand people following someone in a position of power (we call them politicians) if they truly believe in their ideals and sincerity, but who can honestly say they trust anyone else with their future safety other than themselves, their friends and family? I can't, why would they be interested? They only seem interested in money, and we all know that to make a profit, you kinda have to screw someone over, but we've been taught not to see it that way so I'm sure many would disagree.

The minute every politician and leader stands up and says: 'We're not taking salaries anymore' would be the same moment my hope for the peaceful coexistence of all people on the planet would be re-stoked. Can't see it happening though if I'm honest. I suppose all we can do for now is to be the change we want to see in the world. If everyone did that we would soon see the true nature of different people. As to what would happen to the meek I can only speculate. Wait, hasn't someone else already covered that?.....

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by lestweforget

I think that our election system is what separates us from the animals.

America's elections, over the decades, have proved that, even through the fog of corruption, power can change hands without violence. Everyone gets a chance to grasp the reigns. It is not a blushing peach in a small wicker basket, but it is better than changing power through violence.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by mike_trivisonno

We get rid of the douche bags through our election system. The virtual violence expressed through the voting ritual is far superior and more civilized than actual violence expressed through killing folks.

You notion of Western culture is odd.

When you're choice is douche-bag A or douche-bag B, how much of a democracy do you really have when the end result is the same? You still end up electing a douche-bag. Western democracy is largly an illusion. It's designed to make people like you think you actually have a say, and it works quite well.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

The problem is that it doesnt really change anything, do you relly believe the president makes decisions?
We live in a world of corporate fassicm, the large donations for both parties by the same donor toward election campains are favours that have to be returned once in office. Your vote means nothing!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Actually, the Constitution allows for the overthrowing of a president.

Its called voting. Or, for the incredibly lazy, you can simply wait for two terms to expire.

Americans have successfully overthrown their president five times during the period of Mubarak's presidency, without the need for a revolution. If that still isn't good enough you can always join whatever political group you want and spout off publically or to the media till you are blue in the face.

Or, just tie the president's hands with a lame duck congress!

Part of America's REAL problem is the polarization of citizens who identify more with the career politicians and pundits than their fellow citizens. In a country and government built on compromise, the only way a Democracy can be built, more and more people are becoming uncompromising and talk about overthrowing governments when they lost a vote.

No president did that to us.

Who did?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure there are enough laws that should the American people seek to oust the President by any means other than voting that the Government can call in Military forces to put down any such movement, with deadly force. But for that to even happen my countrymen would need to find their spines, which obviously have been lacking for many decades now to say the least.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by quackers

It preferable to many of the "alternatives" so many here think they desire.

The corruption has reached epic levels. But should we simply toss out our finely crafted system of social control, take to the streets, and start burning the place to the ground? It just seems so juvenile to even entertain these "Mad Max" scenarios.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
This thread is starting to resemble New Zealand, more sheep than people.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Moooooooo.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   

No, just do what you always do. Wait 4 years, elect another douche-bag and hope everything gets better on its own. The lazy mans option.

Or..

Take a leaf out of Egypt's book, stand up for yourself and your beliefs and fix the system yourselves. The pro-active option.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by quackers

Well yeah. I kind of sucks that we a saddled with a bunch a money mad, power hungry criminals pooping all over the halls of Congress, but I much prefer the antics of those drunkards and sluts to the violence and bloodshed of my fellow countrymen so many here think they desire.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Written with the arrogance of the ignorant. What is happening in Egypt is not a violent Islamist revolution. It is by all accounts a wildly peaceful movement. The only confirmed violence has been on the part of Mubarak's police and the only real looting was confirmed to be by members of the police looking to place blame on the people (some of the looting "rioters" had Ministry of the Interior badges).

And excatly what tools for democracy have we given them? Money? Planes? Tanks? Rifles? Tear gas? Yes, we have given them billions worth of those things, but I'd hardly call them tools for democracy.

As for the Islamist nature of the uprising, even the most basic understanding of the culture and geopolitics of the Egyptian reality would inform you that your hide-under-the-sheets fear of Muslims has less relevance in Egypt than we in the United States have of Christian extremists installing a theocracy.

I need to remember your name because I need to remember how poorly informed you are and how willing you are to spread ignorance.

Your post

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
All I can say is... WOW...

So we have people who think "voting" is legitimate, and people who think a "revolution" is America becoming a Jihad state..

I am seriously curious about some of you. Seems you haven't quite done enough reading yet to realize the rose-colored glasses you wear.

Voting in America is like choosing between 1970's school cafeteria food. Either way, your getting a gross plate of food, and more often then not, bringing your own lunch was the smart thing to do.

Now don't misunderstand me, there was a time, an era, where voting in the USA was a great thing, a correct and democratic method. But in the last 40 years, it has been a popularity contest, as people get polarised behind one group-think idea or another.

We don't acknowledge a person as a person, it's all labels, and group-think ideas. "Democrat" "Republican" "liberal" "conservative" "neo-con" "Black" "White" "hillbilly" "yank"

We are polarized behind one "group" or another, and have lost identity, and have sacrificed our values and morals by being behind one group or another.

It's all lies, cloaks and daggers. to a degree. The whole-sale dumping of the people's voice for the modes and methods of the special interest groups has lead us to the biggest whole-sale decline of our country.

Things are not even remotely black and white, as some seem to still believe. In fact it's all becoming quite blurry, to the point that the people no longer matter, only what they find in focus, by greased palms, seems to matter.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

Nah. I am pretty sure I am right. And not because I am a smarty pants, but because history is on my side.

Egypt will become a violent, jihad-driven culture.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

Unfortunately your apathy toward islam may be your and many others downfall, i truly pray that i am not still on earth when true jihad hits these shores. Submit to Allah or off with your head. For it is written in both the bible and qoran.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
This question has been asked in relation to gun rights/control. Like, having the Govt come in and take guns. Who would do it? The military. Would they do it? The answer is no, in this case.

Now, would the military man fire upon other US citizens in normal situations? No.
Would they fire if say, people were attacking military bases or Govt buildings? I would have to say yes.

A violent overthrow of the US Govt is slim to none.
Now, if the world went to crap, to include the US, then that is a different story.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join