It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I noticed a bit of hostility toward Christianity from other members on ATS

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockstrongo37

If you have to ask such a question, and truly don't know the answer, then you are appallingly ignorant of history in general and the history of Christianity in particular.

Fortunately, with hard work and an open mind, ignorance can be cured.

Have you forgotten that Christians exterminated most of the Native Americans?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
People sit here and think they know all the answers, and know all the secrets.

We will never know absolute truth! none of us. People catagorize, hate, ridicule and laugh at those who believe in the tanakh, bible, koran.

Keep with your faith. Mainstream christianity is the safest IMO. If you want to study other information you are in for a deep surprise and you will never find the answers. I've been reading for about 4 years in self bibical study. and I have pieced things together that is for me to know. (or want to know). It is super difficult to live without knowledge. but knowledge is dangerous

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Just like all of the conspiracy thoeries out there some members try to debunk christianity and say it was founded by illuminati or freemasons but it is quite the opposite. Somewhere down the line some one may have altered Gods word in the book of the bible. They blame war on christians why not blame it on man because man waged the not God if it were so we would know it. The men of war know the sins of their hands but christianity in general is blamed. But freemasonry and illuminati fought the catholic church even knights templars because they could expose the truth. Secret societies are holding truths about religeon and science that is why they can control things the way they do and put their minds together to build things like technology. The masons and secret societies have controlled money and science so well that they have seperated religeons and people by race and ethnicity and poverty or a class system. If you divide up the people they are easier to control. Personally the atheists took it hook line and sinker that science is better than spiritualism or christianity. The entire world has formed their own agendas and groups therefore seperating us to fight among our selves. Even a board of cs are going to be different and fight and quarrel and name call because they think that they are smarter and more superior. All of that is just going to as planned it just makes things easier. Thats why people blame religeon because they do not know who else to blame. None of us know the whole truth of religeon or science and the nwo have blended both so continue to fight if you pretend to know all you are simply one of them.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I was forced to go to Catholic church until I was 16...I blame it on the lies, mostly Hell, mostly the Hebrew god being so ungodly since he was an alien. Mostly Hell did it for me, other than that it's because it was one of the worst institutions to exist on this planet, it's chilled out recently, but Islam has taken up the mantle of fundamentalist extremist. Oh yeah, the Catholic Church is still one of the leading organizations in the Illuminati too.

But with that said, Christians like you are good people, you're one of the real Christians, not the I don't want to burn in Hell Christians. Thank you for being so "open minded". The website in my sig is an epic thread I wrote, I'd give it a read if you'd like to know more about those subjects. Page 65 begins my section on Christianity, the title explains my problem with Christianity these days well: Apocryphal Schmapocryphal. Jordan River you should read it, it only took me about a year to find that information, IMO Christianity is one of the worst places to go, anything that gives your power away is a very negative force. IMO, Buddhism would be the best mainstream religion, especially for initiates.
edit on 31-1-2011 by SincerelySarcastic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsMeCB

Welcome to ATS.

It's not so much hostility towards Christianity in most cases (not all, but most), so much as it is hostility towards presenting the unprovable, i.e., "faith", as confirmed fact, then rejecting any evidence contrary to one's faith out of hand, based upon that faith.

It drives people who are grounded in what is provable nuts.

There is faith, and there is fact.

I can have all the faith I want in the idea that I'll draw to an inside straight flush, but fact is, the odds are heavily against it. What bugs people is when I bet their money on it.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by facelift

The obvious answer to this is that it's not all but only some. Same as with any belief? In addition, different people have different hot buttons or they're had the discussion/debate/argument too many times or a myriad of other reasons that make people cranky.

and then...

And in a nutshell, that's life. That's online life. And it's typically not personal.

What are you smoking..? That last sentence is in complete contradiction to what you wrote above it...they give a Writer label to anyone...

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
If you want a dose of reality, go to "all roads lead to rome" thread. Probably the greatest thread ever posted on ATS. If you can swallow that bit the hard truth and still come out with faith then you probably passed a test in some dimension or another.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Science and skepticism has many comparisons to philosophical/religious constructs. Science has faith in the existence of atoms even though one has never been seen, and evolution and many other theories and observations. Even faith in our eyes, seeing as how everything is a perception of what is really going on around us. I agree many ATS'ers have hostility towards religion. It does have some troubles of course and a checkered history but I believe that a Christian society and continent has made it possible for science and skepticism to flourish as a pursuit of some's happiness.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by facelift

The obvious answer to this is that it's not all but only some. Same as with any belief? In addition, different people have different hot buttons or they're had the discussion/debate/argument too many times or a myriad of other reasons that make people cranky.

and then...

And in a nutshell, that's life. That's online life. And it's typically not personal.

What are you smoking..? That last sentence is in complete contradiction to what you wrote above it...they give a Writer label to anyone...

I agree I could have been clearer. Not contradictory at all. "And in a nutshell, that's life" wraps up the previous paragraph. Meaning deal with it. Got it?

You're very rude. Good to know, though

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I worked with a guy who was quite Christian and his 60 some year old father was a pastor or something along those lines. I gave them my Kryon books to read, he's been channeled by a reluctant man since 89. The first books have many references to quotes from the bible and Jesus' teaching. The guy read the first 2 books and his dad read 3 and a half while also taking notes on it. I would describe these guys as "open minded" Christians, so Kryon would be a nice place for you to look. The website has almost all of his channelings for free.

Also, if Christianity we're only Jesus' original teachings, I'd be all for them. But like how China's state religion was Taoism, but they were still in constant wars, religious and political leaders like to mold and manipulate. The Gnostics were the first major Christian sect and they called for there not to be a priesthood, they were destroyed by the Council of Nicae, which was where Jesus' teachings died and he became the new supernatural character to give your power away to, while getting rid of apocryphal texts which made it obvious that the god's of old were aliens. The Christos sect lead to much of this supernatural image of Jesus which was combined with other more popular cults to get people to switch over, this is where much of the Jesus didn't exist because he shares the same story as so many gods comes from. Bonny Meir, a Pleiadian contact, was lead to find a document many years ago, people like this are referred to as a terton. It's referred to as the Talmud Jmmanuel, you can read it here and here is a site that compares it to the Gospel of Matthew. Let's just say I'm all for Jesus, but not for Christianity. Much of modern Christianity would call the original Christians pagans and heathens. They hate Halloween, but Christmas is fine.
edit on 31-1-2011 by SincerelySarcastic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsMeCB

Both atheists and Xtians have their zealots and their evangelists. Atheism is a belief system that denies the existence of god. This is my approximation of what atheists believe and I will not enter into discussion with them over that as I frankly do not care. There also seems to be at least 57 varieties of Atheist. I do not have a closed mind I merely have a focused mind and am quite busy so the discussion of atheism is not one that interests me.

I have an intellectual equivalent of a personal space. on this website. The moment someone violates that space I start to brindle because it does irritate.

I find Xtian’s one right way of thinking to be a terrible mode of living. I have sat in a baptist church accompanying someone and heard a list of things that are offensive to the xtian god including karate ( because you bow to a flag), Yoga (because you bow to the sun). Etc. In fact most of the things that I do are3 offensive to the Xtians must less my spirituality. This is no single occurrence most of my life has had unsought advice and comment from xtians. Why can’t they wait until I ask them for help? They are the equivalent of a backseat driver that has not yet passed their driving test.

I appreciate your post but we both know that the real problem is the fundamentalism tendency be it Islam or Xtian.

I am a card carrying ceremonial magician and pagan. I may discuss some items but I do not proselytise. The fundamentalist tendency love to proselytise.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsMeCB

I don't really have a problem with Christianity - just institutionalized religion, dogma and ignorant, self-righteous, judgmental, hypocritical and close-minded boors.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
reply to post by ItsMeCB

First, welcome to ATS. I hope your search for knowledge and information is fruitful.

In regards to the perceived hostility towards religion (Christianity in particular) I believe it stems from the perception that many of faith give off; which is do as I say, not as I do. Now of course, this can be applied to anyone, not just those who practice faith in Christianity.

Some here, of faith and sans-faith present this style. As you spend more time here, you will see it. Another is people that use these boards to not further their knowledge but as an opportunity to evangelize. My advice is your faith is yours and no one else. Use your faith as an example, use it as defense, but don't push it upon others that are not soliciting for it. With that simple baseline, you will notice that besides the rabid few, most won't even care you come from a perspective of faith (unless of course the discussion is in regards to said faith or other faiths!)

As the poster above me, if you notice they immediately demeans your question by calling it a fairytale. It is their right and their ability to call it as such, but you presented a simple question only to be instantly cast aside for your beliefs. Don't disparage for there are many here that may not follow the doctrine of the Church, of Jesus or even a God(s), but will engage you and your questions from an objective point of view that will help you and them in their ever constant quest for knowledge.

Again, welcome to ATS. Dive in or just browse. Feel your way around but please don't leave this community feeling attacked or singled out because of your faith.

Wanted to quote this post, since it really does sum it up. There are people on both sides of the equation that want nothing more than to somehow prove themselves right, by proving others wrong. You will see it from people of all different belief systems (even those whose belief system is a lack of belief). You even see it in this very thread, and quite clearly! There are good people in all of them though. Its just that, like in every day life, most are more interested in arguing instead of discussion. Its pretty easy to see who are agents of division though.

Many will try to demean you, insult you, etc. This is done both intentionally, and i think in some cases, unintentionally. There are many who are more interested with "debating" (using the term loosely) semantics than anything else. If you enjoy that, you will find a ton of discussions to indulge yourself

And if you do not enjoy that, you will still find a ton of discussions to indulge yourself! You will also find many will compliment you, and build you up! This, once again, is both done intentionally, and in some cases, unintentionally. All walks of life are represented here at ATS.

I will say it tends to be on a "per forum" basis. You will slowly start to find which forums foster truly fantastic discussion between individuals, and which ones lead to little more than "semantic wankery" from both sides of the coin.
I suppose one could say it can be a bit "cliquish" in nature. And as with anything, there are always exceptions to the rule.

Welcome to ATS! If for nothing else, this site is easily one of the best sources for news in existence.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by teotwawki77

I don't want to debunk the bible or the koran. I just want their respective priests and followers to leave me the hell alone and do not wake me up on a Saturday morning ( only Xtians). Actually it is not much to ask.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by sparrowstail
Science has faith in the existence of atoms even though one has never been seen.

Wrong. They have so, indirectly, using a field emission electron microscope to image a single carbon atom by electrically charging a short chain of atoms in a vacuum.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Don't take it personally; I'm hostile towards all religions

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheSparrowSings

Originally posted by sparrowstail
Science has faith in the existence of atoms even though one has never been seen.

Wrong. They have so, indirectly, using a field emission electron microscope to image a single carbon atom by electrically charging a short chain of atoms in a vacuum.

Maybe so but,... like this doesn't sound like dogma, doctrine or gospel? Preach it brother

nice username by the way
edit on 31-1-2011 by sparrowstail because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-1-2011 by sparrowstail because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsMeCB

I noticed a bit of hostility toward Christianity from other members on ATS

We all do this... not just against Christians and not just at ATS, but across the broad expanse of human history.

I could go on to name numerous instances... and of course, the Spanish Inquisition was one of the more notable examples. But it's a human imperfection that crosses all lines and boundaries.

Christians are attacked by atheists. Muslims are attacked by Christians. Hindus are attacked by Muslims. Jews are attacked by, well... all the above.

And you know, as much as we come here and talk pretty about denying ignorance, there is still enough stereotyping and bald-face prejudice to fill a book the size of the Holy Bible. We stereotype zionists, we stereotype southerns, we stereotype people by their political choices, and to be absolutely sure, we still stereotype by race and gender.

It works because when we can lump thousands... nay, millions of complete strangers onto a single spot... calling them the same in every way, they become easier to attack.

There is no difference between a racial bigot and a religious or political one. But instead of denying ignorance, we deny our prejudices and continue with the assault.

That's us; humanity. Whether evolved from pond scum or created by God, we are a very immature, arrogant species.

Personally, I am a Christian but not one of those that go to services every week. I rest quietly on what I believe and pray like hell that those who disagree with me will stay away from my back door so they don't find out before me whether or not actually God exists lol.

edit on 31-1-2011 by redoubt because: addendums

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by sparrowstail

Poor example about the atoms, there are loads of pictures of various atoms available if you go look for them.

Also poor example about evolution: farmers and breeders have been practicing pratical evolution for thousands of years...it's only been relatively recently that science has been able to explain the reasons for their successes and failures.

You can call that "faith" if you like, but that doesn't change the facts that are available to anyone who cares to look.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Read the Talmud Jmmanuel or The Gospel of Thomas. Jesus was a genius and told it how it is. The problem is the church and government have been abusing his name and teachings for 2 millenia to cover their own asses. I think if people studied his actual teachings they'd see he wasn't here to create a religion. He was here to destroy it by only telling truth so the world could be free.

It's #ty to see people still fight over him without even knowing his real teachings. But that'll change eventually as more people wake up to them and actually start doing some research with an open mind. Dude had a lot to say about the church, politics, and how the laws of Creation are abused constantly. It might not be what people want to hear but as Jesus said, he wasn't here to bring peace. But a sword of truth for the world.
edit on 31-1-2011 by searchoftruth because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join