It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I noticed a bit of hostility toward Christianity from other members on ATS

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockstrongo37

Well try the start of the slave trade. I know they were also involved in the anti slavery movemtn. the subjugation of the Native Americans. There whore/Madonna attitude to women. Their attitude to the poor. ( I know about the english methodist social reform).

Paedophilia.
But more it is their personal visiousness when they get a chance.Almost like the bully who waits to attack.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Thanks for all the replies, I do want to say I don't feel attacked personally in any way as I mentioned it doesn't offend me I simply wanted to know why and have an open conversation about religion. I was a hairstylist for many years and the rule is there are two things you don't talk about politics and religion. I'm not ignorant of pedophilia, mass murder of Native Americans, the crusades, or satanic ritual within the catholic church, I'm not ignorant of Constantine having priest only put the books they saw fit to include in our modern day Bible, nor am I ignorant of errs in translation of ancient text, or the problems of an organized religion cramming their beliefs down your throat, telling you you'll go to hell if you sin. As some of you pointed all organized religions have their zealots . I didn't post this to debate or push my faith so I'm not going to go into it all I'll just say I'm not traditional in my beliefs. I didn't join the forum to put a Christian spin on any topics I just thought it was cool. Faith: firm belief in something for which there is no proof

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
William H Kennedy
BTW this is a pretty cool website you could get lost in for years. free video, audio & articles

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsMeCB

I don't mind discussion about religion. I mind being preached at and told my doom is around the corner and I must repent despite the preaching person not knowing me at all. I don't think ATS is the place for that kind of posting. It's not anti-Christianity, it's "I really didn't come here for that, go away" instead, I think.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by no special characters
The problem lies in the fact that what is for many just a fairy tale is spoken of to be true merely cause a substantial part of mankind decided it was....
Science however combined with logical thinking discredit 99% of "facts" from that book. Along with centuries of hate and persecution it has made some disbelievers hostile. I myself once was hostile until I realized that even a fool can be a good person and perhaps I am that fool.

Try to speak about a book and refer to it rather than stating it as fact. It might bring some people to a point where they loose their hostility and we can co-exist.

Wheres the source that science discredited 99% of events in the bible, Thats a bold claim aint it?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
the answer is that only spirit minded can see the story of history in the scripture.
it's a story that invites forgiveness, and possibly all will be in eternity. so we tread lightly!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ItsMeCB

i am not a christian, but i can tell you where my problem is with (important word next) SOME of them.
i am a believer that people should be allowed to believe what they want, whatever faith they wish, or even not believe
if they so wish.

i only have a problem when people over step the mark and judge people based on their beliefs. i have known some christians to react with disgust upon finding out i am not a christian, and then had them trying to 'convert' me into their way of thinking and beliefs.

i have a major problem with this, i do not enforce my views on anybody, yet here i am being treated as though i am weird and 'living wrong' for exercising my own beliefs. when i am made to feel like this i am offended and will become upset or as you put it more hostile.

whilst i am aware it is not all christians, i think you will find that this is were the majority of the hostility comes from. people think "how dare they attack me for my view" "i will attack them for theirs" "see how they like it".

if it were not for the door knockers telling us that we are unworthy because of our beliefs or that we are going to hell, or that we are immoral, then i do not think anybody would have much of a problem about their beliefs, as long as they kept them to themselves and those who wish to learn.

here is another example of it, the teacher say's "do your children go to church" we say "no they do not" the teacher says "well why not?" er... because they do NOT want to. the teacher show's that because she believes something, she expects everybody should share her view and has the attitude that we are doing something wrong. again this i am offended by, and the natural response can be to attack their personal beliefs back in the same manner.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by GBP/JPY

You didnt mention some historians and geologists in the middle east, they will attest that the bible is more historical than many may be aware of. Over the last 30 years there have been some corroborating finds, this may be a good idea for a thread.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ItsMeCB

Just noticed your thread as I was feeling some intesnse rage towards a preaching christian poster and thought I would take a moment to calm down and explain to the christians what actually infuriates me so you can see my point of view.
About my past: raised christian, believed in jesus most of my life and happily attended church during my younger years.
About me now: More creationist than athiest but firm believer that a creator and science coexist. Not Christian.

Why Im mad: I was just in a thread where a christian posted something along the lines of "If you listened to jesus of the bible..."
This gets to me so much! I can believe Jesus existed, I can believe a creator exists. But I can not stand this jesus of the bible rubbish -
cant we all just agree there is a creator and not worry about what his name is or which HUMAN MADE book references him? Let athiest have their view too, but can creationist please just agree there is a creator and stop thinking everything in a newsletter written by humans must be followed word for word.

This is what makes me mad. why cant we just accept that others have different views and focus on things we do agree on instead of nit picking over details that never even came from god himself.

also want to add some people have never even heard of jesus, does that mean they are going to hell or do not qualify in gods eyes?
edit on 1-2-2011 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by facelift

For me,Yes. Being told that everything You do is wrong & your going to burn in the fires of hell for all eternity,screaming in utter agony,haveing your toe nials pulled out & all manner of EVIL things upon you.
And then being told "God loves You" LOL yeah sounds like it.

secondly when i would point out to those ones that would always be telling others of their evil wrong doing & how in the rapture they would get theirs,their response would be "how dare you question me","im a church leader" "he that lives in glass houses should not throw stones" The rules & teachings dont apply to these "bad shepards"/"wolves in sheeps clothing" its only there for them to consume good peoples "spirit & life".

Also what do god want with slaves? to spread the "good word of who ever is not a member of that religion is destined for hell????" Can you see this loonatic properganda of expansionisim & hatred & controll????

Also I learned to true origins of Religion & learned enough from texts so that as written in 1 of those texts "Know the truth & the truth shall set You free"

Its also when people try to analyse something scientiffically we get people comming in & hitting us accross the head with "its the rapture blah blah blah blah............." And people doing so only causes antagonisim.
Dont want to hear it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Im not saying i do not belive in a creator of the coporial.i hate religion
Its not just christianity Personaly "I HATE ALL RELIGION"

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I love all the religious zombies - christians, muslims, budists, hinduists and voodoo shamans

Because there is no god - only religions - theses people are lost and need love and support from us - fellow sane man.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ItsMeCB

I have learned, in my 69 years, to expect some Christians to be aggressive and overbearing, judgmental and very cavalier in their speech regarding others in the world. It is these few who dare to try to lecture our entire country, saying that "our" science is flawed (but theirs is not). It is they who so badly want Genesis to be correct that they are willing to sound like fools yet through the inanity and immaturity the arguments they present are easily countered by a 10th grader with one year of science.

There are "attack Christians" who will not hesitate to tell us that we are all sinners; that we born into sin (and should feel guilty about it). Then, if we dare to defend ourselves, they say that "we have that right". Insufferable! These good folk will assemble and hold up signs which proclaim that God hates gays for instance. Can anyone imagine God "hating"? Impossible. There are websites that answer these in the only way they know how, through parody. The Christians then attack those sites saying they are inspired by Satan. No. Those sites exist because Christians themselves have created a need for them.

A small segment of Christians are boorish and hateful. The rest of Christianity suffers for it. Like in the Muslim world we have a small segment that commonly uses violence to further their world view this small bit of Christianity uses exceedingly bad manners to further theirs.

Now we are faced here with an inquiry into this phenomena and here is my response. Let me state it in plain language. Some Christians are a royal pain in the ass. This website is of a different sort and there is little religious discussion. That's good. Perhaps it is the body of experience with this minority of Christians in or on other websites that is responsible for the guarded attitude that is seen here. I know that whenever I read of someone stating they are a Christian I immediately am on guard to see what kind of Christian they really are.

So through all this where are the good Christians? The ones who really practice humility. Maybe they're in the same place that all the really good Muslims are. I wonder where that is?

Ghandi is known to have said, "I like your Christ but I do not care for some of your Christians". I sometimes say, "Christianity would be OK if it weren't for the Christians".

Religion should be personal and private. We should keep it to ourselves unless someone asks our opinion. Someone just asked. I just gave mine.
edit on 1-2-2011 by trailertrash because: typo

edit on 1-2-2011 by trailertrash because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

So, tell me, why should the rest of us take YOU seriously? Your statement seems to imply that you are some form of superior being simply because you don`t take things seriously that others care about. "Illogical" as Mr Spck would say. 8-)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ItsMeCB

It isn't only Christianity...some people hate all religion and religious people good bad or ugly. I understand the problems, even genocides, religion and religious people at times unreasonable and dogmatic can inspire.

But spiritual people are different.
Spirituality and religion are different.

People shouldn't be so hamhanded with their hate.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
The problem lies at the heart of ATS. The ATS members are a bunch of unique free thinking people. Also to me the true nature of many people manifest here also in that we are all a bunch of contradictions and non conformists as we can be who we are. I embrace it and enjoy it but any kind of fundamentalists jars with that because fundamentalists practice a binary (all or nothing ) mode of thought. IMHO the world is far too complex for the one right way!

Sorry for coming across as ranting in previous posts. I also acknowledge that the author of the OP is a rare individual.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SirKnightE

Well since you asked....

The bible also states the sun revolves around the earth.
The bible claims the earth has four corners and edges
The bible claims that people who believe in Christ shall be able to survive the bites of poisonous snakes

* The earth and the universe are billions of years old.
* The fossil record, though not complete, is immense.
* Strange creatures that used to be alive are alive no longer.
* Older strata of rock contain fossils of animals that are, in general, more primitive than later strata.
* Studies of DNA show that animals that share common characteristics also share much DNA.
* These same studies show that humans share between 97% and 99% of their genome with chimpanzees.
* Modern humans shared the planet with at least two other hominid species within the past 30,000 years, Neanderthals and Flores humans.

Science & the bible

www.holysmoke.org...

That's just the tip of the iceberg. That said, i don't think it's ok to start bashing on peoples belief, the problem with that is it's usually people like me getting bashed because i'm too ignorant to accept the lord. i'm into science, I'm into denying ignorance. blindly believing in something, or having faith, even in the face of scientific fact is ignorant.

Our current model of the universe and reality do not rule out the presence of a "creator". This doesn't mean you can ignore ample scientific analysis that disprove enormous amounts of biblical claims.

Any person anywhere on earth can go into their backyard, dig deep enough, and disprove the biblical claims of a 6000 year old planet.

Those who say science and religion can co-exist are wishful thinkers that have forgotten the past. How many facts that we take for granted today, were met with cries of heresy in the past? PLENTY.

And before the argument starts that the bible is about interpretation, not literal, fine, then that goes across the board. You can't say, well where the bible is wrong it's an interpretation and not meant to be taken literally, then for other passages say, see, the bible says Jesus did this and he did.

I'm not against religion, and I can't call myself an atheist, I don't rule out the possibility,but I have seen nothing in my short time on this planet to make me think there is a god.

If there truly is a 'god' then science is our method of understanding his/her/its nature, ignoring scientifically proven evidence in favor of tales from an arcane past, is not how we are going to better understand ourselves, and our reality.

I'm not sure how someone who can ignore science could possibly be a reliable source for the type of information discussed here, but they do in fact contribute greatly. But you've got to understand, we are all our own person, your belief system is not mine, and no, you are never going to "make me see the light" so get past that and everything will be great.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

I think that argument about the "flat" earth and the four corners has been used to death, either way, is that really what 99% of the bible consist of. Flat earths and four corners....

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by SirKnightE
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

I think that argument about the "flat" earth and the four corners has been used to death, either way, is that really what 99% of the bible consist of. Flat earths and four corners....

No just that small portion of the bible is already a lie... If it was the true word of god the earth would be flat and there would be 4 corners correct? Since these things have been proven wrong it has also proven the word is fallible...

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Judaism and Christianity get A LOT of hate here.

Sucks sometimes, considering I am a Messianic Jew.

Atheists yet some flak, but not near as much as the other two.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockstrongo37

Jesus pointed out that you must "hate" basically your whole family, to be one of his followers. While Jesus comes across as a gentle man most of the time, this particular "must" just baffles me. To me, that is evil. I used to be a fundamentalist christian. I walked away and studied and researched. Most of my family are fundamentalists. My daughter is gay and her brother will have nothing to do with her. He won't let his kids around her, he won't even speak to her. I have an aunt who calls every so often to ask if my daughter has been "saved" yet. This annoys me to no end. There are so many "evils" about Christianity.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join