It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super religious Christian girl invites you to dinner. What would you do?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Generally, organized religion is about control however, there is truth in all religion and people who find strength and a better life through something like Christianity. It is a macro vs. micro issue with things at the macro level being about control and limits and the micro level being the personal benefit someone derives from their religion. If you like her go. It's not about the whole religion it's about how it is expressed in her life.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89
[mor

I would date her, church is weird though, mushy as you put it. Personally I have been in such situations and I am more about other things than religion so I just try to make the girl feel comfortable with me and it usually doesn't work because they are to Christian and it scares them a bit when I don't care about Jesus, honestly some get scared by that. We're talking extrema Christians after all. I would go with her to the church because it shows that you care about what goes on in her head. Most of the girls I have had relationships with tend to have odd things in their heads, well odd to me anyways, and I usually just get past it and except it. It doesn't interfear with anything you would want out of them, whether that's marriage, or in my case sex.
edit on 30-1-2011 by canofnothing because: I felt I needed to mention sex and marriage.

edit on 30-1-2011 by canofnothing because: grammer

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

This is sounding like a soap opera. Are you a man or a mouse? Go for heaven's sake and have a good time. One thing though, whenever someone tells you that you are a sinner just smile and say what? I can't hear you. After a while they'll stop.
edit on 30-1-2011 by trailertrash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89
You meet a super awesome girl that you get a good, positive vibe around. You find out she's super religious (Christianity), but she doesn't seem to mind the fact you're Jewish. She invites you to a Church dinner and you're unsure if you should/want to go.

This is what happened to me, and i'm debating whether or not to go. I looked up the Church and they seem to be more focused on the lifestyle part of Christianity, not the religion itself. Like the helping other people part of it. But i'm still unsure. Religion makes me uncomfortable, as well as the external savior mentality. Yes, i'm Jewish, but don't really actively practice it. My worry about going is getting sucked into the gushy part of the religion, yet i know i'm not one to have my head in the clouds, preaching about Jesus.

It can be nice to have my head in the clouds, but i also feel the need to be grounded. When i came home, the next thing i did was listen to a news podcast to ground myself back to Earth.

What do you think? Should i go?

I'm posting this in the Philosophy/Metaphyscis section as it falls under the Philosophical (Religious) grounds.
edit on 30-1-2011 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

Is she nice? Why not go?

Unless you have to eat kosher. There WILL be ham

I knew a chick that was cool. she was mormon. didnt go anywhere but we had some fun at shakespear in the park and stuff. her dad was a typical mormon ass head.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I happen to know a devout catholic & (like you, somewhat practicing) jew who got married & are happy. She did however insist on raising their kids catholic which the discussed before hand. If your looking for a serious relationship & aren't willing to compromise on your faith then get away! If you just want to hang out with her than why not.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Just sayin.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
She is 15 and has been indoctrinated into the delusions of her parents, and she will want to spread the delusion to you.

If I were you I would go, bring truth and reason and try to save HER.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   

All depend if shes inviting you because she likes you very much, or she wants to convert you and she thinks shes there to save you lol, if she likes you dude go full speed ahead, might take a while ebfore you guys do it do eheheh

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
See what happens. Sheltered girls are always fun in bed.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Well I wish you very good luck in your church visit. If you have further questions, I will try and answer them. I agree with you by the way about the "good people" ~ a rather serious issue to hurdle over. I noticed a small blurb on the Church website you linked that mentions they believe the Bible is the complete and perfected word of God.

I am still sorting out my belief system after many, many years of indepth questing, but one thing I do know is that the Bible has been influenced by man and his interpretation ~ so I run away, run away, run away . . . from the view that the Bible is the perfect unblemished word of God.

My own tame protestant family became more invoved with me during the time I considered becoming Catholic to appease my boyfriends family. I was about 17 myself at the time. This might encourage relatives to share things about their own journies that will surprise you and weave you further into your own family cloth, grounding you in a way you will be thankful for in later years. I am thankful for my grandmother who tried to be very undercover about it, and just managed to leave a book on the floor of the hallway - as if it had lept out of the bookcase, about my own protestant denomination.

It is good for you to learn about Christianity as it is a major religion that has effected the Western World both in good ways and very bad. But that is easy enough to learn without conversion. I do recommend you read the Gospels, you will find Jesus in his true sense a bit of a "Buddha" ~ you may compare the two. The Gospels are Matthew, Mark, Luke, John - you can probably read them online. I just purchased a book today called the Third Jesus, by Deepak Chopra, it states on the back: What Jesus can teach us regardless of our religious background. It is my view that many "Christians" miss the point about Christ completely.

If you do go . . . if you investigate this particular girl and church body further - it is important that you realize this view is not representative of the very large body of Christ . . . which is diverse and varied. You probably know this as it is hard to miss the many, many, many churches in this country if you have spent any amount of time in the car.

edit on 31-1-2011 by TheBirdisDone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Op here. I talked it over with my folks and decided to back out. I trust my parents, as i can be pretty naive (like with this). From what i described, how some people from the church just showed up at the school event and tried to talk to different people and ask if they could pray for them, they said it seemed like a recruitment. I mentioned how a bus would take us to different places throughout the dinner (progressive dinner) and how many people from different religions would be there, and they said that definitely sounds like a sort of recruitment.

They're super nice, and they try to bring you into a social setting, then move it along slowly to try and get you to join their church. That's how missionaries work..

I'm going to try to hang out with her in some other, non-church setting...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
My niece, a Christian, just married a Jewish man. Neither has tried to 'convert' the other. The wedding used some Christian elements and some Jewish elements (The stmp on the glass thing, for example). They've known each other for 5-6 years. It's looking good so far.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join