It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super religious Christian girl invites you to dinner. What would you do?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
You meet a super awesome girl that you get a good, positive vibe around. You find out she's super religious (Christianity), but she doesn't seem to mind the fact you're Jewish. She invites you to a Church dinner and you're unsure if you should/want to go.

This is what happened to me, and i'm debating whether or not to go. I looked up the Church and they seem to be more focused on the lifestyle part of Christianity, not the religion itself. Like the helping other people part of it. But i'm still unsure. Religion makes me uncomfortable, as well as the external savior mentality. Yes, i'm Jewish, but don't really actively practice it. My worry about going is getting sucked into the gushy part of the religion, yet i know i'm not one to have my head in the clouds, preaching about Jesus.

It can be nice to have my head in the clouds, but i also feel the need to be grounded. When i came home, the next thing i did was listen to a news podcast to ground myself back to Earth.

What do you think? Should i go?

I'm posting this in the Philosophy/Metaphyscis section as it falls under the Philosophical (Religious) grounds.
edit on 30-1-2011 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

RUN!

Cant you find a good old fashion atheist girl?? What is this world coming to?? LOL

I grew up and still live around the lifestyle Christ bunch...they suck you in..then when the offering plate comes by they put guards at the door...

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
See, now if religion was done away with.. and we all believed in the creator or universe...it would be a normal family dinner.

See how much separation religion causes? SO much anxiety.. eh.

I would go though.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
You don't have to be Christian to visit a Church or a Muslim to visit a mosque. I would advise you to go and listen to what their views on religion and what kind of lifestyle they live in. Never judge someone by their religion as you can learn much from such opportunities. Be sure to post back after the dinner.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stovokor

RUN!

Cant you find a good old fashion atheist girl?? What is this world coming to?? LOL

I grew up and still live around the lifestyle Christ bunch...they suck you in..then when the offering plate comes by they put guards at the door...

That's what i'm hoping it isn't. i want to make it clear that i'm not going to be converting, though i'm not sure if they're hearing me out.

I'm not sure if the girl even likes me. She has the "i have all i need with Jesus" POV, though not in a self-righteous type of way.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
if she is as good as you make out, then she should have no qualms with you not attending. although maybe go just the once so she understands that you showed an interest in what is important to her.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Go and have fun. But before you go .. read up on facts so that if they try to nail you, you can do them a favor in return and convert them.
Be sure to read up on how Moses REALLY got the ten commandments (9/10 came from the Egyptian Book of the Dead) and leave 'em with the fact that David didn't really write all the Psalms. Many of them can be found in Egyptian temples as poems to their pagan sun god. (which pre-dates David).

Either it'll go great, or you can pull out your fun information.
Either way ... go have fun.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Jesus stupid, GO!

Do you want to know how many super awesome girls want me to come to dinner with them?

NONE!

Do it for me.

And this is coming from a guy that hates religion.

I do recommend that you have condoms on you at all times, because if she's as super religious as you say then she may not have condoms and probably isn't on birth control. If one thing leads to another (as they often can even when you are positive they won't) and you're bagless, you may either blow you chance, or have a financial burden on your hands.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Serizawa
You don't have to be Christian to visit a Church or a Muslim to visit a mosque. I would advise you to go and listen to what their views on religion and what kind of lifestyle they live in. Never judge someone by their religion as you can learn much from such opportunities. Be sure to post back after the dinner.

That's what i'm trying to hype myself to do. Just look at things from another side of things. Though, i do not wish to be a part of any service.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
If you really like her go, but be prepared to hear some possible (and likely) evangelization.

Why not talk to to before and say you'll give it a shot if it gets too much or if it you are too uncomfortable have to leave. Or you could use the ever popular check in call, where someone calls with an "emergency" about half an hour into the event.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
If you really like her, accept her invitation. You will get to see her in her church environment and get to know her better. Don't forget to thank her for her kind invitation and if you find the company too restrictive or dogmatic etc, be honest with her about that as well as about your opinion of her awesomeness!

What you got to lose if you go? What you got to lose if you don't?

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
you could do one of three things

GO! fake the funk and see where it goes.

tell her you will go if she attends one of your releigious events..that is put up or shut up

Talk to her about how uncomfortable you are with the situation that your confused if it is that she invited you
because she wants you to be there or if it is that she wants to show you another relegion!

link   
You should go....find out that Christians aren't so bad...I doubt they will be preaching to you...and at least you'll probably get along with her family because you will always have something to talk about.

edit on 30-1-2011 by freedish because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

You know as well as I do that the uber Christ people want nothing to do with pesky facts and details...

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89

Originally posted by Stovokor

RUN!

That's what i'm hoping it isn't. i want to make it clear that i'm not going to be converting, though i'm not sure if they're hearing me out.

I'm not sure if the girl even likes me. She has the "i have all i need with Jesus" POV, though not in a self-righteous type of way.

You seem to think of 'converting' as this big lifestyle change.
All it really is accepting Jesus as your savior.
Unlike 'religion' you don't have to -do- anything.
God accepts you the way you are.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I say put religion on the side for a moment. If you like this girl and want to spend time with her then go and find out if you actually do enjoy spending time with her or not. You cannot find that out by not going.

But as a plan B, I would definitely drive there myself. That way if at any moment you start to feel uncomfortable or as if she is trying to force some sort of beliefs on you, then just leave. "Bye, cya, I might call."

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by freedish

i shy away from the external savior mentality. That same mentality has led to the sheer mess that is politics today. But that's a whole 'nother story. Not that i have anything against it, whatever floats your boat.

Nothing personal.
edit on 30-1-2011 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
This is like getting an invitation to one of those vacation time-share dinners.

You know what is coming, but you may go a time or two anyway. Go, you will learning many things, but mostly about how centered or not you are yourself.

And who knows...? (This is not from a religous person.)
edit on 30-1-2011 by Aliensun because: 'graph spacing

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
All the super christian women I know have like 10 kids and love sex and wine!
I say go its not like your going to catch on fire as soon as you enter the church.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Unless you are ready to embrace her religion I would not continue this relationship on more then a friendship basis. You did not state your age, or the particular faith she belongs too which would be helpful. If you are uncomfortable stating the actual type of church this young woman is a member of on an open board you can U2U me.

My first serious relationship - I dated a strict Catholic first generation American from an Irish family. I was Protestant, and not a devote practitioner. Though I dated this young man for almost 3 years and to outside appearence we looked well suited - I have never experienced such a cultural difference in ANY relationship to include friendships since that situation. I remember looking back at old pictures and thinking we did not look like we were so different on the outside (I have Irish ancestory too) but we couldn't have been more different. I felt as if I constantly had to apologize for myself and for being different to this young man's extensive Irish Family.

I know it is hard when you meet a "nice" person and there is chemistry - but ultimately this could be a confusing situation if emotional ties develop only to be severed by differences in faith. Especially if you feel you have to define yourself and your differences, please step away from an emotional involvement early and save both you and her from painful soul searching and faith decisions made for the sake of a relationship.

I cannot see how she will not try to bring you to Christ. If she develops emotions for you she will fight more so to "save you" and will be worried and concerned for your soul if do not accept salvation. If you decide to accept Christ or not - she is not likely to refuse him - if she is of this bent in her faith philosophy. If she is Quaker, Methodist, or Catholic and this is just a church dinnner - less so - but if she is of the "Jesus is all" variety her quest to save you will not end with just one conversation.
edit on 30-1-2011 by TheBirdisDone because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join