It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super religious Christian girl invites you to dinner. What would you do?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

Just don't say the AMEN at the end, That's what i always do. Make it clear that you love your religion and will not change your believes just to be accepted in society. Make sure you talk about how good it would be if everyone respected each others religions. From their reaction you would then be able to tell what kind of people they are.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by TheBirdisDone

I'm 17, she's 15 (Senior & Sophomore). Here's a link to the church's website

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Don't tell them your Jewish....Christians look at Jewish fold like they have a 3rd eye on their forehead.

I hope your catching the sarcasm. Go to dinner, listen and be respectful...my family is Christian and are some of the sweetest people.

Nothing wrong with free exchange of ideas.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Serizawa

Just don't say the AMEN at the end, That's what i always do. Make it clear that you love your religion and will not change your believes just to be accepted in society. Make sure you talk about how good it would be if everyone respected each others religions. From their reaction you would then be able to tell what kind of people they are.

Actually, i had a bit of a religious chat with them before. I told them i was into the prophecies of the book of Revelation, and wonder if they are coming true today, even though i'm Jewish.

I tried to push the neutral stance, and they didn't try to push me into anything. I said that i felt there could be more than 1 right answer, and whatever you believe in, you receive feedback from the universe based on that. As well with the external savior mentality, it keeps you dependent on someone else.

They seemed open-minded and not entirely opposed to that. One woman mentioned how she dated a Jewish guy and used to be an Atheist before she "accepted Christ"

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Then there's nothing here to discuss....You got nothing to worry about. Be honest and open minded and enjoy yourself.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Just go. It's not a big deal.
My girlfriend's family is hardcore catholic. I'm not religious. I don't attend church and I'm not baptized. It has never been an issue. Her mom was iffy about me but who cares? If the girl likes you for who you are it'll all be good.

My girlfriend and I have been together for four years now and I've never had more than a "why aren't you catholic?" from the family or the church. Religious people aren't a cult, they're normal people. Just go.

And and and if they ever get crazy (as most 15 year olds will at some point or another, especially after you have sex with them but jesus that's a whole nother topic) you can break up.
edit on 30-1-2011 by Mr Headshot because: lolpregnancy

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I would think that if you are into her and she is into you, both of you would put religion aside to have a good time. You shouldnt be judged by your religion anyways. Although it happens.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

If i was you go if you like her. But for me, i would not even let a female even talk to me, lol.

But if thats your bag, and you like her, why not? I doubt you sound like a orthodox jew, with hatred of gentiles.

For me i would not, but thats me.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Coming from someone (me) who is NOT religious (and frankly hates the social-club aspect of religions and the wearing on one's sleeve):

Why should you not go? If you want to go, go. If you like the girl and get a positive vibe around her go; there is no reason why you should not. What is there to lose? I would think that there is more to gain than to lose. Unless you are afraid that by going it will somehow threaten your mental tranquility, or you are not sure enough of yourself and your own faith to be able to handle the possible pressures from or differences with another religion with which you might not agree.

I, too, would be wary of the same thing. And i think about this same thing quite often. If i meet a girl and she is super religious but a nice girl, what part of myself am i willing to sacrifice to be with her/date her/etc. How far am I willing to go to change? Am i interested (or curious ) enough in her to at least tolerate whatever i seem to expect, is she important enough to set aside apprehensions, open a new perspective, and is what i am worried about so important or threatening that it prevents me from trying something different or from doing something you want to do? Are you letting yourself be held back from something you want to do?

When you can accurately answer those questions (to yourself), i think you will have the answer to the question of whether or not you should go.

Good luck.

edit on 30-1-2011 by Liquesence because: grogginess

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Thanks for the help guys
Turns out it's one of those things where you're supposed to bring friends, so i said yes. It's called a progressive dinner, in case you've heard of it? I googled it and it's basically where you eat each part of the meal at a different persons house.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Have a nice time.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

Have a nice time.

Thanks, dude
I'll post an update afterwards.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

I looked at the website. I am concerned for you. Make no mistake they are going to try and "save you" - it is very likely you will go and be surrounded and Love bombed by a group your own age. Instant best friends. I am writing you with Loving Compassion and I want you to know that. It is possible you will come to accept Christ and develop into a Christian. Make NO mistake this church body is going to try and see that this happens. Do not fool yourself or be fooled by them. There will be lots of stories about failed Catholics and Atheists that had whole life transformations after accepting Christ. They will not look at you as anything more than a person they desire to bring to Christ, they will be very persuasive in this.

I recommend you do some reading. You can do it online.
If you do accept Christ or decide to become a Christian the Book of Job will be very helpful in your personal journey. In this Book God comes to personally speak to Job, after his "friends" have told him how to believe, after Job's great suffering. They also tell him how he brought his suffering upon himself though he was a devote man. Finally God comes to straighten it out. Read about the Council of Nicea, so you will know a little Christian early history. That MAN has made decisions concerning the Bible, even gathered and voted on it! That this book was writen by man and that it is not the exact Word of God - this is especially important.

Jesus himself is in the Gospels. The first 4 books of the New Testiment. Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.

The NIV version or an Amplified Bible would probably be most accessable in regard to reading. The King James version is popular, but it was writen long ago and is not in the Language of today. The Amplified Bible has multiple translations of the original Hebrew allowing you to read in a more "amplified" way.

I wish you safety of mind and soul on this journey and I mean that seriously.
I am an old woman by your standards, and I have been on a faith walk a very long time and I have witnessed a lot of misguided people on this questing walk. My bottom line is "Man cannot know the mind of God" -

It sounds like you are blossoming with intellectual curiosity ~ and you will have a varied and interesting life if you add spiritual questing to your journey. It opens and expands one's mind to learn of other faiths. So begin to learn and grow and do reading and research of your own, do not take one girl, or one man's, or one old woman's word for it! You may return to square one or you may discover a completely different square suits - but at least you will have stretched yourself, which is more than so many attempt. I want to suggest you talk to your own family, your parents - others - to understand a more complete picture of where YOU come from. I know a lot of grown ups seem completely clueless, but I can guarantee a few of us have been in similar crossroads a time or two in our lives. I hope there are some elders in your life you feel you can discuss this with in a gentle and loving way - where it is safe to question. I wish you the very best young person, and I smile with a measure of human pride over a thoughtful young man who desires lifes answers. For you are the future!

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I wouldnt care if Idi Amin invited me for supper after all its free food. I dont have to listen I just pretend I am.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBirdisDone

Thanks for the help and the long reply.

I have a hard time accepting the external savior mentality. It just doesn't resonate with me. If i go to hell for being a good person and not believing in 'salvation', then so be it. But i don't believe that to be true. Plus, it would be a betrayal of my family, who are all Jewish. It just doesn't feel right.

And it doesn't make much sense to me. Why would corrupt people to believe in Christ go to heaven while good-hearted, nice & friendly people who don't believe go to hell? It just doesn't seem right. I will go and observe, but just that. I try to stay neutral in things like this, taking neither side.

I have a feeling they might try to convert me, which is why i'm committed to taking no sides. I guess you could say I'm Switzerland

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

I had the same dilemma when I was 21 years old. I decided to go, and soon realized that I was going to have to accept what she believed because her beliefs were a big part of her life.

Things didn’t work out between the girl, and me, partly because I couldn’t come to a belief in Christianity. Roughly 10 years down the line, I have recently come to believe in Yeshua and I’m glad I went all those years ago.

This is a big opportunity in your life, so I would recommend that you go, your young and you have plenty of time ahead of you; Go and enjoy yourself and ask people many questions, about their faith, like for example “how did you become a Christian?”

- JC

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Go, Christian girls need love too.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

I'd say don't allow your fears to effect your experience.

And, I would go even if only for the Experience.

One old thought is that if we say we will only learn through one way, then we are shutting ourselves off from growing without Limitations.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89

Originally posted by Serizawa

Actually, i had a bit of a religious chat with them before. I told them i was into the prophecies of the book of Revelation, and wonder if they are coming true today, even though i'm Jewish.

I tried to push the neutral stance, and they didn't try to push me into anything. I said that i felt there could be more than 1 right answer, and whatever you believe in, you receive feedback from the universe based on that. As well with the external savior mentality, it keeps you dependent on someone else.

They seemed open-minded and not entirely opposed to that. One woman mentioned how she dated a Jewish guy and used to be an Atheist before she "accepted Christ"

Young man, run. This is bad deal for you. Having religious discussions extremely early in a relationships implies a lot of weight is put on that aspect. Since you have a somewhat different background but not necessarily work at it, then you are at a disadvantage. They--even if very nice people--will attempt to work on you unless the wind up saying to themselves. "Well, he doesn't seem very Jewish." As I said, run. find someone that doesn't start giving you the third degree before the first date.

Personally, I feel that it is crazy to attempt to plum the depths of a new acquaintance's religion. Regardless of how they couch it, that is a time to bow out. Religion (onr not) is a very personal thing and if they wear it on their sleeves and you do not, there will be trouble. And you never mentioned anything about your folks and their feelings. That is the whole other half of it.
edit on 30-1-2011 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
The stricter her upbringing/lifestyle, the crazier she's gonna be in the sack.

Hang in there for a bit, get her to let loose and see if you like her better
Good Luck

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join