It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No more broadcast signal you must now use only digital for television.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alethea
I read somewhere that digital signals are very weak in outer space. The digital signals can be picked up by our satellites and sent back down, but the signals are not far reaching in space. So, if there are aliens further away monitoring us they will loose contact.

Just remember that you cannot pick up weak signals from the other side of the world, but the american spy system can pick up all these weak signals. So who knows what these groups may be doing and how they pick up energy.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by maluminse

uk
a good section of the spectrum including the analogue tv frequencies were sold to private concerns a few years ago under labour. a couple of billion was made. local interests were considered and licenses issued for particular bandwidth slots. the house of lords only last week were debating future regional tv services and funding requirements.
f

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghostsoldier78
I live way out in the woods,I used rabbit ears to pick up TV channels before the whole digital thing. I used to get 5 channels with it too. Now I get none. Zip. Zilch. I ran a cable outside and stuck my antannae on the roof and got PBS, but when the wind blows hard it goes right out. Its a big moneymaking scheme to make everyone get cable. Also yes they were giving out vouchers to get a free converter box. BUT the catch was is even though it would get you a box, the merchants around here quit carrying them! Even walmart. When I asked why they said because the government was taking too long reimbursing them and they were losing money. So they were impossible to find.My Mom got cable so we use her old box. Arseholes. I still refuse to get cable no matter how hard they try to make me.

Look at the bright side. You have been liberated from slavery to TV.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by phatpackage

Rural WA isn't receiving commercial digital channels yet and they have just been delayed again, it's still unclear when we will receive them.

edit on 30/1/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

Just wondering if you have satellite service available in your area. I live in a rural area too (no cable) but do have Dircect TV here in the US.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by maybee

Yeah we can get satellite tv here but it's pay tv (foxtel).

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by maybee

Yeah we can get satellite tv here but it's pay tv (foxtel).

Yeah, it's pay TV here too. Use to be around $30.00 per month, but now closer to $50.00. Oh, and that's after dropping some of the channels. So basically, less channels for more money. But, hey, I'm still always channel surfing through a couple hundred channels and saying "there's nothing on that I want to watch"

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

duh, the government wants to use them as they are more reliable than this crap they gave us instead. I dont have a 3 D TV, why do I need HD to see the pores on the weathermans face??? Now if an airplane flys overhead I lose the whole dang picture!! Thanks Alot Big Brother!

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I've gotta say, we've had digital tv since 2002 after upgrading from cable so the digital switchover won't affect us but when it rained really badly we'd lose one channel completely and several others would be affected. Since getting the HD version of the digital box though no problems at all.

I myself don't see a conspiracy in the move to digital, it's helping ensure everyone has the perfect picture and sound they require from their viewing experience.

It's the analogue I'd watch for, see if anything gets picked up on that once most of the world has switched to the digital signal. Personally I believe the upgrade to the public is convenient for those trying to establish contact with anything outside of our planet and the old analogue channels will pick up more when the whole world isn't leeching off the signal for radio and tv broadcasts.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by maluminse

oh man...Digital TV.

Where do i start... dont get me wrong, i like it. In Melbourne, AU analogue will be phased out in the next 2 years. They could probably do it now as pretty much everyone has HD/Digital capable flatscreen or set top box etc.
What annoys me is even though the quality is alot better, the actual reception is really annoying unless you shell out $200 for an outdoor / roof antenna. I think if the government is gonna force digital TV on people they should also have rebates for the outdoor antenna...but i dont see that happening. Although i shouldnt complain too much, we went from having 6 free to air channels to now having almost 20 free to air channels!

People also forget that with many ISP's going fibre or FTTP ( Fibre to the Premises ) those fibre lines can run digital / cable tv on them as well as phone and internet services. So perhaps the next jump will be from air transmission to fibre cable transmissions....

edit on 30-1-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
This is being rolled out in Ireland this year to be fully implemented by 2012, part of an EU directive I think.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by maluminse

Im no expert but the desire to improve tv quality of the people doesnt fly with me as their reasoning. Thoughts theories?

I think rather than a conspiracy against us as such. It all comes to down to cost and efficiency. The digital channels are cheaper to run ( broadcasting ) and goves more opportunity to the channels, for example;

Channel 9 Australia up untill recently had one broadcast channel.

Now that they have switched too to digital they have 3 channels on the same network

Nine - Normal 9 Programming
GO - Entertainment / Movies 24/7
GEM - Entertainment / Movies 24/7

Having three channels over digital is much easier and cost effective to do compared to running three channels over analogue.

Just gives us more junk to numb our brains....

I keep saying why dont they make a free to air documentary and science channel. I dont wanna have to pay for the luxury of learning...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join