It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No more broadcast signal you must now use only digital for television.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I searched for this issue but dont find it here.

Local governments now require all television stations to broadcast digitially. Regardless that the poor cant get good reception of digital signal and it pushes them to buy cable it seems that such a restriction makes it impossible for the common man to broadcast over the airwaves television signal.

Im no expert but the desire to improve tv quality of the people doesnt fly with me as their reasoning. Thoughts theories?

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by maluminse

Hmm ... So who is going to use the old signals?

I wonder if there is a way of finding out how many antennas or satellites are now banned from public use

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Didn't this happen a long time ago?

And wasn't there assistance for people to get digital converters if they couldn't afford them?

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   

I think it would be a good idea to go out and buy one of those worldwide radios.
Then we would need an uber ATS’r to have a station to tune into.

All this talk of no internet or media. Its daunting to think we can’t keep in contact with what’s going on around the world. But then it’s still only a one way communication. Maybe someone brilliant can come up an idea.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by MindSpin

yeah Australia is all digital now.
i don't know about the rest of the world though.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I read somewhere that digital signals are very weak in outer space. The digital signals can be picked up by our satellites and sent back down, but the signals are not far reaching in space. So, if there are aliens further away monitoring us they will loose contact.

I am sure there must be a sinister motive for the change. I base this conclusion on the facts that have always come out in hindsight that we have been deceived in all things.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by MindSpin

And wasn't there assistance for people to get digital converters if they couldn't afford them?

thats what i thought lol!!!!!!! this thread is like a long time overdue!

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whateva69
reply to post by MindSpin

yeah Australia is all digital now.
i don't know about the rest of the world though.

Australia has digital but the analogue signals are still being transmitted in most areas. Some Areas are digital only (Very Few though). Sydney will be last place to go fully digital in 2013!.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Somethings I like about Digital some I don't. I like that we have more channels too choose from. I like superior sound & picture quality. I don't like that when it rains really heavily I lose the signal. I don't like it that when I go to my mates house & a plane flies over & he loses the signal. I don't like it that I had to upgrade my parents antenna for them!. So love hate for me!

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
The old analogue system use a very large part of the available spectrum for actually very little (in today's terms), as far as TV went in the UK we had 5 channels. Now they have moved over to digital there are many advantages, firstly it's not just a one way thing, it's 2 way now, you get to interact, TV on demand and internet type services and stuff like that.

But most importantly they are able to do very much more with only a tiny amount of the frequency spectrum, this frees up a big old part of the spectrum for future use, I believe part of it would be perfect for up coming the high speed wifi coming up soon.

Of course if you do really want a conspiracy I think it's a bit hard to improvise a digital radio receiver out of electronic components that I could salvage... Even as a kid I'd made those simple piezoelectric crystal radios and picked up the radio stations - built a few of those little FM bugging devices too - But a digital receiver? In a poop and fan situation and I want to listen to the spice girls, unless I've at least got a broken digital receiver hanging around that I could try to fix I'm stuck.
edit on 30/1/2011 by Now_Then because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Easier to hide Subliminal messages??

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by phatpackage

Rural WA isn't receiving commercial digital channels yet and they have just been delayed again, it's still unclear when we will receive them.

edit on 30/1/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by MindSpin

Yes to both. And as far as the OP title goes, It should be, "No more ANALOG signal....
The upsides are:
1. It's free!
2. With digital you can get High Def channels and signals.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Those nasty people trying to improve the TV signal by using better technology. In my day we listened to the radio, not some new fangled cathode ray tube that warped our minds.

I suggest you wear aluminium foil on your head, stop those pesky aliens from trying to fry our brains with this new fangled digital television.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Oops I just scrolled through all the channels and your right there are still a heap of analogue on there.

Sorry about that, I just assumed there wasn’t since we have had our set top box for over three years now.

Goes to show you how much TV I watch

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

Are you in the UK? Cos they are switching off the analogue TV signal area by area... TBH I have no idea if my area has been taken off air yet, but I do remember the first area up country somewhere being in the news, early ish 2010 I think.

We still get the radio for now, not herd of any plans for the radio yet, but I expect there will be similar. Those parts of the spectrum are very much competed for with all the new wireless technologies we will see in a few years, and of course those little things are gonna be little cash makers! - No more buying a radio as a young adult and still listening to the same one as a grand mother doing the dishes! (rip nana!)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Hi mal,

My theory is that someone is making big money out of this.

And it is probably the government.

My aerial was blown down by gale-force winds, and the guy who replaced it told me that I had to have something installed - dunno what - but it all points to people trying to make money out of other people.

It cost me $330 NZ dollars to do that - I thought CRAP! TV isn't worth that!

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
i have often wondered why they switched to all digital? than i found out about haarp and it only makes sence while there using it they dont want enterference or people accidently picking up there signals. and as someone else has mentioned easier to send subliminal messages. i know ive noticed seeing a pictures flash that had nothing to do with what i was watching for a tenth of a second. wonder what that was? wish i had high speed camera set up so i could see what it was. would be interesting.

or it all could be harmless technology that could never be used for evil...

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
A couple of people have mentioned subliminal messages - well, I've worked in broadcast television for over 20 years and no messages have left my suite

What I do find suspicious though is that the west are all switching to digital at the same time! Usually new technology is phased in gradually depending on practicality and ecomonomics. For example the US had colour TV in the early '60s whereas in the UK we had to wait until 1969. So why are we all going digital together? Who is going to use the analogue frequencies and to what purpose?
edit on 30/1/11 by Insomniac because: typo

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I live way out in the woods,I used rabbit ears to pick up TV channels before the whole digital thing. I used to get 5 channels with it too. Now I get none. Zip. Zilch. I ran a cable outside and stuck my antannae on the roof and got PBS, but when the wind blows hard it goes right out. Its a big moneymaking scheme to make everyone get cable. Also yes they were giving out vouchers to get a free converter box. BUT the catch was is even though it would get you a box, the merchants around here quit carrying them! Even walmart. When I asked why they said because the government was taking too long reimbursing them and they were losing money. So they were impossible to find.My Mom got cable so we use her old box. Arseholes. I still refuse to get cable no matter how hard they try to make me.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join