It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: In a stunning reversal, USDA Chief Vilsack Greenlights Monsanto's Alfalfa 7

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+35 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   

BREAKING: In a stunning reversal, USDA Chief Vilsack Greenlights Monsanto's Alfalfa 7

www.grist.org

The decision marks a sharp reversal: USDA chief Tom Vilsack had hinted strongly that he would place geographic restrictions on the growing of GMO alfalfa, to protect organic alfalfa growers from the threat of GMO contamination. He even floated a fancy name for the policy: "coexistence," as in GMO crops and organic crops all just getting along. Even such a relatively mild restrictive policy would have broken with the longstanding USDA practice of giving GMOs a free pass.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.organicconsumers.org
usda.gov

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Food "Safety" Bill Empowers Monsanto to Control Food Industry‏
Monsanto Tops 2010 Corporate Hall of Shame
Caught Red Handed! USDA Bee Extinction Study Kept Secret!

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
So, just weeks after Monsanto's Michael Taylor, former Monsanto lawyer,
Vice President for Public policy (aka Chief Lobbyist) is appointed as our new
food "Czar" and the S510 Food Safety Bill passed
we have another huge betrayal!

Its not enough that the Honey bees are facing CCD?

Its not enough that the Bumble bees are nearing extinction?

Franken Crops GMO Corn, and Soy?

Now genetically engineered Alfalfa will be unleashed upon us, the bees, and livestock?
GM to be resistant to the herbicide commercially known as Roundup!

glaring problems. Alfalfa is a prolific pollinator, meaning that GM alfalfa can easily cross-breed with non-GM alfalfa.

There can be no such thing as "coexistence" with a reckless industry that undermines public health, destroys biodiversity, damages the environment, tortures and poisons animals, destabilizes the climate, and economically devastates the world's 1.5 billion seed-saving small farmers.

And devastation of the bees, and then we are next.

What are we facing just a few short years from now?

Is there no end to corporate greed, and government corruption?

www.grist.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a3581a467677.jpg[/atsimg]
Photo Credit

edit on 28-1-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

+18 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Mosanto is quite simply the most evil corporation, willing to gamble on the ecosystem of the world and the security of Earth's food supply for profit. My blood boils when I read about their conduct and the depths they're willing to go to to make money.

The system of lobbying that we see in Western democracies is a pathetic joke, it gets me so sad and mad when I contemplate the future of this planet.

Issues like this are the real "green" issues, not climate change. That's just a smokescreen while we royally screw up the planet in other ways.

We should learn to change OUR habits, OUR society and OUR values, rather than tinkering with nature to suit our needs and desires.

S+F my friend.

edit on 28-1-2011 by kiwifoot because: typo

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
There is no disease nor pest that bothers alfalfa.

Farmers growing alfalfa would have local slaughterhouses spray the blood from butchered cows on their fields and their alfalfa would grow like mad with all that nitrogen. We'd pick up the largest earthworms you ever saw from those fields at night to use for fishin'.

Only a fool would buy Monsato's genetically modified alfalfa. Maybe they created a strain that would infiltrate farmers fields and render their crop dead.

Monsato is the devils company.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by kiwifoot
We should learn to change OUR habits, OUR society and OUR values, rather than tinkering with nature to suit our needs and desires.

Agreed, but whilst we are blaming Monsanto should we not be congratualting them also. I mean without this intervention people would be none the wiser.

I received an email a couple of days ago from somebody who believes in the government and thinks that conspiracies are things made up by bored people. They were concerned about Monsanto and wanted to know what I knew. This is just one person but I believe many are starting to see the bigger picture here and that is the # is about to hit the fan.

Global Awakening forces each and every one of us to question everything.that we have not been able to see in the past.

edit on 28-1-2011 by franspeakfree because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

The problem I see is that we'll awaken to the reality far too late. The damage will already be done I fear. Once a harmful GM product is released into the ecosystem, there's not a lot that can be done.

If you think of all the dodgy practices Mosanto are doing on the record, imagine what's going on in the shadows.

Sad times mate

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I wonder what type of food the execs at Monsanto eat? I'm willing to bet they wouldn't touch GM food with a 50 foot pole, esp. when they know very well how dangerous these Franken-foods really are. Just like the elite to be hypocrites, "do as I say, not as I do." You would have to grow organic foods in a Hermetically sealed green house to avoid contamination with GM foods, I'll bet they have these for their food sources. It would be very damaging to there agenda if this were true and could be made public.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
So how do we let people know of this? How do we get them to reverse this decision? Do you think enough people calling the White House would help bring it to the attention of the President?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by kohaku

Dude, they've (GM product companies) spent half a billion dollars lobbying Washington since 1999.

I'm just surprised it's taken so long.

And as the Op mentioned, Michael Taylor is a Monsanto stooge working for the White house, trust me Obama knows. They all know. But when you're counting a stack of C notes 3 feet tall with your name on it, somehow your morality and values take a back seat.

What do they care? The elites will be eating pure food grown from seeds sourced from secure untainted seed banks, let the untouchables suffer.

I hate to hate, that adds to the negativity in the world, but I tell you it's hard sometimes.

edit on 28-1-2011 by kiwifoot because: typo

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
two words: pollen warfare.

stand just beyond their properties perimeter with pillowcase full of GODS pollen, laughing maniacly as you empty it into the breeze.

my lawyer assures me that two can play at this game...and monsanto knows this better than anyone..

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
We need a petition to remove this man from his position. This is an insane conflict of interest. He should never have been considered for this government position. I'm not an agriculture person, but I am outraged that such a conflict of interest has taken place in MY country.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
This company has to be stopped. They're causing serious problems and planning on getting their stuff out worldwide, not just in America. The EU are mostly against it and won't allow them in at the moment as far as I remember, but a few backhanders here and there and they'll soon be here too by the looks of it.
edit on 28-1-2011 by Hitoshura because: typo

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

Indeed, what lies ahead?!

The monsters created this idea of "Coexistence" as a trojan horse!

This will allow for the spread of this insidious Franken alfalfa to spread iinto non GM easily.

Even if we could manage to get truth in labeling, by the time that was accomplished it could already be too
late.

I can just hear those greedy Monsanto minions cackling now....

Once the crop is planted its all over. Many people are not even aware that there is GM Rice!
Over 1/3 of the Rice in California has already been contaminated!

We already have over 2/3 of the Corn GMO.

Over 90% of the Soybeans are GMO.

95% Sugar Beets GMO.

GMOs are created to tolerate and now even produce pesticide.

North America is losing its natural pollinators, specifically bees, butterflies and bats!

And they have released GM Mosquitos now in the Caymans and just last month, Malaysia!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0f9ff75559b2.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius

Only a fool would buy Monsato's genetically modified alfalfa. Maybe they created a strain that would infiltrate farmers fields and render their crop dead.

Monsato is the devils company.

Yes, this Alfafa 7 will spread like wildfire into non GMO Alfalfa.
Thing is not only does that contaminate the seeds...as if that would not be bad enough

GMO

alfalfa; guaranteed to spread its mutant genes and seeds across the nation; guaranteed to contaminate the alfalfa fed to organic animals; guaranteed to lead to massive poisoning of farm workers and destruction of the essential soil food web by the toxic herbicide, Roundup; and guaranteed to produce Roundup-resistant superweeds that will require even more deadly herbicides such as 2,4 D to be sprayed on millions of acres of alfalfa across the U.S.
www.organicconsumers.org...

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
better order your seeds now.

and get to buildin that greenhouse.

quit puttin it off.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MichiganSwampBuck

Bet on it they eat Organic. I came across an interview with a Monsanto exec, asked if he
ate Organic? Answered "well yes".

Still looking for the link to post in this thread.

reply to post by kohaku

Alas, sad to say that Obama and Michelle will eat Organic too, as we already know.
They just caved to Monsanto and I personally think now that the USDA has approved it,
there is no going back.

We need to demand truth in labeling, so that they are required to disclose the GMO ingredients.
You can find more about that here, and a petition.

Millions against Monsanto
organicconsumers.org...

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

A lot of people are starting to get this. They just don't think they can do anything about it. And, I'm not sure if we really can.

I work in the agriculture industry and just about everyone is against Monsanto and knows their practices are really really bad for people and agriculture. They just don't say anything because picking a fight with Monsanto is a losing battle you don't even want to open up. They are afraid of losing their businesses and farms and raw materials sources.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by RelentlessLurker
two words: pollen warfare.

stand just beyond their properties perimeter with pillowcase full of GODS pollen, laughing maniacly as you empty it into the breeze.

Oh I like it, I like it!

Let me know where I can find that pollen...

10 WAYS TO FIGHT MONSANTO

1. Get to know where genetically modified products are sold and tell the store manager that you won’t buy them. For a list of non-GMO companies click HERE.

2. Your state and national representatives work for you, so make your voice heard. Petition the government to ban GMO’s and refuse to take Monsanto’s dirty money.

3. Education is a key factor. Send a letter to your local newspaper and tell them about the damage GMOs and RoundUp causes to the earth and human health. Send the same letter to companies that use GMO products.

4. Tell your family and friends about what Monsanto is doing and include information about how they can participate in the action campaign.

5. Let corporations such as, Kellogg’s and American Crystal, know you are aware of their GMO tainted products and will not buy them.

6. Contact companies such as Home Depot, that sell products that are harmful, such as RoundUp, and tell them to stop.

7. Support retailers that have voluntarily pledged compliance with the Truth in Labeling campaign by clearly identifying all food products containing GMOs with a label or shelf sign that says “May Contain GMOs” and by identifying all factory farmed animal products with a label or shelf sign that says “CAFO” concentrated animal feeding operations.

8. What are your children eating? Contact local schools to make sure they are not giving GMO laden foods and bovine growth hormones to children.

9. Support the Truth in Labeling Coalition’s Citizen Petition by writing FDA Commissioner Margaret A. Hamburg.

10. Take part by signing on-line petitions against Monsanto.

Read more: www.care2.com...

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Your state and national representatives work for you

I think we all know how naive that is.
edit on 28-1-2011 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

Yes, I will spare you all the boring e-mails I have recieved from my government representatives.
Form letters, that sound more like "the dog ate my homework" .

<<   2  3  4 >>

join