It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
(visit the link for the full news article)
The decision marks a sharp reversal: USDA chief Tom Vilsack had hinted strongly that he would place geographic restrictions on the growing of GMO alfalfa, to protect organic alfalfa growers from the threat of GMO contamination. He even floated a fancy name for the policy: "coexistence," as in GMO crops and organic crops all just getting along. Even such a relatively mild restrictive policy would have broken with the longstanding USDA practice of giving GMOs a free pass.
glaring problems. Alfalfa is a prolific pollinator, meaning that GM alfalfa can easily cross-breed with non-GM alfalfa.
There can be no such thing as "coexistence" with a reckless industry that undermines public health, destroys biodiversity, damages the environment, tortures and poisons animals, destabilizes the climate, and economically devastates the world's 1.5 billion seed-saving small farmers.
Originally posted by kiwifoot
We should learn to change OUR habits, OUR society and OUR values, rather than tinkering with nature to suit our needs and desires.
Originally posted by Pervius
Only a fool would buy Monsato's genetically modified alfalfa. Maybe they created a strain that would infiltrate farmers fields and render their crop dead.
Monsato is the devils company.
alfalfa; guaranteed to spread its mutant genes and seeds across the nation; guaranteed to contaminate the alfalfa fed to organic animals; guaranteed to lead to massive poisoning of farm workers and destruction of the essential soil food web by the toxic herbicide, Roundup; and guaranteed to produce Roundup-resistant superweeds that will require even more deadly herbicides such as 2,4 D to be sprayed on millions of acres of alfalfa across the U.S.
Originally posted by RelentlessLurker
two words: pollen warfare.
stand just beyond their properties perimeter with pillowcase full of GODS pollen, laughing maniacly as you empty it into the breeze.
1. Get to know where genetically modified products are sold and tell the store manager that you won’t buy them. For a list of non-GMO companies click HERE.
2. Your state and national representatives work for you, so make your voice heard. Petition the government to ban GMO’s and refuse to take Monsanto’s dirty money.
3. Education is a key factor. Send a letter to your local newspaper and tell them about the damage GMOs and RoundUp causes to the earth and human health. Send the same letter to companies that use GMO products.
4. Tell your family and friends about what Monsanto is doing and include information about how they can participate in the action campaign.
5. Let corporations such as, Kellogg’s and American Crystal, know you are aware of their GMO tainted products and will not buy them.
6. Contact companies such as Home Depot, that sell products that are harmful, such as RoundUp, and tell them to stop.
7. Support retailers that have voluntarily pledged compliance with the Truth in Labeling campaign by clearly identifying all food products containing GMOs with a label or shelf sign that says “May Contain GMOs” and by identifying all factory farmed animal products with a label or shelf sign that says “CAFO” concentrated animal feeding operations.
8. What are your children eating? Contact local schools to make sure they are not giving GMO laden foods and bovine growth hormones to children.
9. Support the Truth in Labeling Coalition’s Citizen Petition by writing FDA Commissioner Margaret A. Hamburg.
10. Take part by signing on-line petitions against Monsanto.