It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I feel like I'm going to be sick!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by deccal

Letting children watch TV is not a bad attitude.
It's about the content, not the technology or idea. It is about moderation and guidance. Television can in fact be a wonderful tool that is instrumental for education.
Seems to me that because you grew up without a television, that you know what's best for everyone. That having a television for children is awful because you didn't. You didn't weigh any pros or cons. You basically stated it's bad, that you didn't have one, and that you're not American (as if that added anything to the conversation, besides an anti-American jab).

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Censorhip, what censorship? It makes me sick to my stomach as well. I have a seven year old and I would not want him to see such carnage, on public t.v. to boot.... what the heck is that

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by sith9157

Honestly, I don't know.

I think it says something about us culturally that such violence is so freely distributed and so widely consumed

I'm not at all about censorship. But I'm still very disturbed by how far things have progressed.

I had no clue.
edit on 22-3-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Loam, I haven't had a chance to go through all the posts yet - and I hope others have already pointed this out - but I'll join them in saying You and Mrs. Loam have done a WONDERFUL job of parenting if your child came to you asking you for help and going as far as to tell you they had 'seen something they should not have'.

WOW!

I so hope that gives your heart comfort knowing this behavior is already ingrained in your child and will help you all in the more troubled times to come when they become - TEENAGERS!

peace

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I was always under the impression the under 10's should be in bed BY 9pm.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

I was always under the impression the under 10's should be in bed BY 9pm.

Yes, but that is in the 'Leave it to Beaver' perfect world.

Some parents, most in fact, have to work two jobs and schedules are a mess! I'm not saying this is the case with Loam, but, ANY quality time I could spend with my kids, I'd do it - regardless of the time clock.

Just sayin...

peace

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

In our family that is merely a goal. Often it is more like 10 or 10:30 for him.

As silo13 points out, schedules are sometimes an issue in my household. Moreover, I have read to my child nearly every evening of his life. The older he gets the more sophisticated the material and therefore the length. As long as he gets 8-9 hours of sleep, I don't worry too much about the clock.

edit on 24-3-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Thank you for the compliments. It ain't an easy job in least, but I take my responsibility as a parent very seriously.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
My 7-year-old sleeps 10-11 hours a day. My 10-year-old sleeps only slightly less. I'm not criticizing, but you might want to look into his sleep needs - I don't think 8 hours a night is enough for a six-year-old.

Back on topic - when we lived in the US we had a DVR, and the kids didn't watch anything from the TV unless it was pre-recorded and we could skip commercials. (I have a HUGE problem with kids watching commercials.) AND I sat right with them for anything they watched. The only thing they ever watched unmonitored were DVD movies that I had already previewed.

Now we watch almost nothing, and it is much, much better all around. Television kills creativity and stunts little growing minds. Isn't Idol pretty contentious? I have never watched it, but just thinking of the commercials for it I saw.

I understand why you are so upset, I really do (and I have quit watching several old favorite TV shows because they just got too graphic - who needs that crap in their heads?) - but you also have to understand that your little boy was watching TV at a time of day that has been set aside for adults only. It is what it is.

I highly recommend getting a DVR/Tivo, and not leaving him unmonitored during adult programming hours.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
I think I made one of the worse mistakes as a parent tonight...and I feel like I'm going to vomit

Don't be too hard on yourself. Sound like you've done a pretty good job raising your young one. I was surprised when you said he came through and told you he shouldn't be seeing things like that. Think how many other kids saw that with their parents unaware and had to deal with it on their own, or even worse, accept that as normality.

Honestly, you should be proud of yourself.

Thundersmurf....
Peace

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Yeah, I think it really sucks when you're watching a benign program but it shows something not very family friendly at the end or during commercials.

I remember as a small child I was watching some random movie on a channel like TNT. A commercial for The Exorcist came on during the commercial break and I was terrified. It was the scene about the possessed/demon girl sitting on the bed with her head spinning around and projecting vomit.

Seeing something like that unexpectedly and without any warning really upset me for a bit and I remember having my mother check my closets and under the bed for me for quite some time. lol

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Thundersmurf

Said it before I did.

If your child knew he wasn't supposed to be seeing that, it means you are doing a good job as a parent.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

It seems the MSM never fail to push the edge of "manicalness" in everything senseless program they "push" out there in "dreamland"..S&F..I mean that has a WHOA factor..be well

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join