It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I feel like I'm going to be sick!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Originally posted by kosmicjack
I'm so sorry.

Thank you.

What I was immediately left with upon reading your account is that your intelligent, sensitive son knew that what he was seeing was wrong and he had the integrity and character to speak up.

Good on you for instilling in your child a sense of humanity and compassion.

It's because of this that I think it will be okay for him and you both. I do understand your sense of loss for him though, especially someone such as yourself who seems to find such joy in natural and peaceful things.

I hope so.

And you're right about the sense of loss. I try not to think about that point too much. Otherwise, I get angry all over again.

We are going through this, to an extent, with our own child. When we put our child in a parochial school it was because we wanted back up not typically found in public schools with instilling a sense of values and morality. What we forgot is that unfortunately the bible is replete with some pretty barbaric and horrific accounts (Oh the irony!) and we are frequently left wondering "What the hell were we thinking!?". I don't remember Sunday school being quite so in your face with violence and scary tales, at least not in the way it was presented to either myself or my husband. We do a lot of minimizing and back-peddling to make it not seem so harsh for tender ears.

Funny. Our story matches yours.

Did something change there? I don't remember it being like that when I was younger.

edit on 4-2-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

I just noticed your a 'Subject Matter Expert' in Ranting! Allow me to remove myself from this thread.

There's no SME for Rant... If you click on the SME tag, you'll see the member is a SME of the Fragile Earth forum...

The SME badge displays regardless of what forum one is posting in. By clicking the tag, you can see what forum a SME is assigned to.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

And I'm clearly not a SME of television content.

Regardless, I thought about clearing that up for him... I'm glad you did.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Must add my 6th cents:

I am right there with you loam. Or maybe ahead of you.

In an honest society, I could say in my real name that such crap shouldn't even be on TV. Not only is it bad for children, it's bad for adults. (Insert rant from defenders of "art" here.)

Second, realize that you are posting on ATS.

Many of the members are not breeders; many of them are far more concerned about their right to unfettered access to snuff flicks than they are concerned about psychological damage to your children. So know that many them not only disagree with your value system--they don't believe you have a right to hold it. They assume that "if you don't like it, turn it off;" when it is actively beamed into your home, and if your child wants to see it you can hardly prevent it. But again, they don't care about your child.

Third, your child being exposed to this "reality" is NOT inevitable.

Snuff footage like he saw is not "preparing him for the real world" unless he lives in downtown Kandahar. And it is by no means inevitable that your child be exposed to it. In fact, there is a growing community of parents who are opting out of the idea that advertizers know best for your family.

We send our kids to private school, where they are at least a year (more like two) ahead of their cousins who are in public. We only have one TV in the house connected to cable. We have another TV hooked up to a DVD player, where they are allowed to watch pre-approved programming for set times. IF there is something important on "TV," we record it and watch it with them, skipping the commercials.

Our kids are NOT out of touch or unpopular. As a matter of fact, their school is at capacity, with parents wanting to get their kids on the waiting list. Their playmates are all from the same school, and so have similar outlooks. Their kids have lists of what they are not allowed to watch. I have been surprised at how self-policing the kids are: "Dad, we have to put away the Scooby Doo movies when Brad comes over---his mom says shaggy is a pothead."

Likewise, some "OK" content is banned from my house, like the canadian cartoon "Caillou." Not for depravity, but because the snotty little twirp the show is named after WHINES whenever something happens on the show. I swear children copy that stoopid voice, and I cant stand it! But hey, in my kids' world, that's a legitimate reason not to watch a TV show---It'll make us idiots.

I was shocked to discover that there is a whole generation of couples just like us: children of the 70's and 80's who reject the depravity spewed forth by big chunks of our corporate media culture. Parents (5% of all US parents!) are choosing private school or home school. And they aren't all the same politically or socially. They just insist on letting their kids be...children.

The only people who've ever given us crap were actually our relatives. ("You cannot shelter them forever!") Everyone else has been extremely supportive. When we pulled our kids from public school, we found a ready-made community where my kids fit in and are even popular. Their private school has MORE and COOLER extra-curricular activities, which takes a bunch of the burden off of the TV anyway.

Sorry I am rambling. Do not be dissuaded by the people who tell you that you are powerless. Those are simply the voices of people who would rather believe there is no alternative, than admit that they are missing out on the chance to live family life at its best.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

Such a great post!

I liked all $0.06 of it!

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
I was shocked to discover that there is a whole generation of couples just like us: children of the 70's and 80's who reject the depravity spewed forth by big chunks of our corporate media culture. Parents (5% of all US parents!) are choosing private school or home school. And they aren't all the same politically or socially. They just insist on letting their kids be...children.

I've noticed this too.

Why do you think that is? What made this generation of parents choose alternatives? And what has changed for younger parents who seem oblivious to the issue? (Note the woman who posted above about her 13 year old.)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam

Why do you think that is? What made this generation of parents choose alternatives? And what has changed for younger parents who seem oblivious to the issue? (Note the woman who posted above about her 13 year old.)

Part of it, I think, is a ripple effect through the generations.

Baby boomers were raised on the affluence following World War II, and raised their kids with that mood of entitlement. They raised their kids the same way.

Personally, I'm a "baby-buster," and so I came into the workforce during an economic downturn with huge competition when I had no practical experience (like the kids graduating from college right now). Although I had led an extremely self-indulgent life in college, it was quickly ironed out of me by having to work for it.

From an anthropological standpoint, it is likely a sign of aspiring to a higher social class. A lot of group behavior is caused by this desire, right back to the parents of the baby boom, who always said they wanted a "better life for their children." Their conception of that better live betrays what they were raised to fear, and what to strive for.

I think parents in my community may be looking for the antidote to drug abuse and teen pregnancy. Those issues matter more to some generations that others. I think it has political repercussions as well.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

I'm sorry that happened - but your child sounds well-balanced and aware. Good job.

...I've watched Bones and find it to be very responsible and almost hokey, if graphic in a scientific way. ...I'm FAR more concerned about scenes of violence for the sake of violence, sexualization of virtually everything, and especially, images that sexualize violence or mix sex and violence.

...Bones does not do any of that, from what I've seen. My daughter and I both read the "Bones" books when she was younger, and the books are good too.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I understand your concern,

However to say that your son's innocence was taken is a little much. Don't be so hard on yourself.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
You know I just realized I saw the scene you are talking about. I don't watch TV much either, but my wife and I catch American Idol from time to time and I saw that shooting scene afterward. I remember thinking "Wow that seems like a stupid think to put on TV." Sorry if it upset your kid, but I think that sort of exposure has become part of understanding the world we live in. It is tough when your kids have such revelations, but he is lucky to have a dad like you to explain it to him. Good Job!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by CCLLCCLL

I have to argue about that. When was the last time YOU saw someone assassinated? Did that happen where you work last week? Maybe while you were at the DMV getting your driver's license renewed? Or maybe you saw it when you were at the grocery?

That is not "the real world."

TV is worse.

It isn't preparing him (or any of us) for anything but being the willing consumers of the dreck that THEY sell to us.

You sleep. THEY live.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

That's some mondo bizarro stuff. Especially considering the target audience for that show is mainly teens and children.

Looks like it may be part of the show's special effects, as this video shows Simon Cowell's head exploding.

Years ago, the audience would of been in an uproar with FCC complaints over something like that. (Imagine Aunt Bee's head exploding on the Andy Griffith show, because Barney misfired his pistol.) Which makes me think they are gearing the kids up for a big hot war by making death look like fun in order to increase recruit levels.

Computer games also seem to be an ideal training tool for this purpose.

edit on 22-2-2011 by Regenmacher because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

I am not saying you should resign your son to a world of chaos and murder. My point is that because you have a TV your son simply will be exposed to such things. You are one of the more diligent parents I have ever met and you turned your back for one second. When it happened your son came to you for help, thats great! Far better than never having encountered such a disturbing image until he is grown and moved away to college and no longer has you around to explain things.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Are you a mormon?

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by sumgai

No.

Why do you ask?

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Yeah, it always struck me funny that people being killed, getting heads blown off, bloody bodies laying everywhere is alright, and no harm, but a bare female breast is a no no, and better not let your kids see that!

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
God that's shocking!!! X-Factor and American Idol are really the only 'adult' programs I allow my daughter to watch because she loves singing and dancing along with it all, apart from that she watches kids channels and that's that. I havent read the whole thread but I assume it was an advert? Shocking.

If its any consolation though children are very resilient and your clearly a conscientious parent, your little man will forget this and he has a great dad

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Nice to see that for once, neither Ozzy nor video games are being blamed for content that children shouldn't be exposed to.

I'm sorry your little guy saw that. Long as he understands that it isn't real and that TV is loaded with violent imagery, he will be A-OK. Now you know that his TV viewing needs to be supervised at all times.

On a side note, I can remember being in CCD when I was younger. Kind of like Sunday school in my neighborhood. Anyway, we were watching a film about Jesus that day and the crucufixion scene really upset me. I know it's supposed to be educational and all, but being a little kid and seeing a grown man nailed to a giant "T" via railroad spikes through his hands was really friggin traumatic for me and a few other kids. Blood everywhere and this skinny dude screaming in agony. I guess what I'm trying to say is that no matter what the intention of the program, it's innevitiable that someone all of the time will be ofended or have a negative reaction. You can't please all of the people all of the time. Even when the overall message is a good one, there can still be side effects. Life is filled with traumatizing things and your son is bound to see a helluva lot more before the age of 10. Best of luck.

edit on 15-3-2011 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Children lose their innocents very early these days, if he didn't see it on TV, he would have sooner or later from the latest video game.

TV is hazardous to everyones health.... thats a fact.

edit on 15-3-2011 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I am not naive to think 'sooner or later' would not arrive.

But THIS example, in this context, at seven, should not have been so easily available.

There is something very wrong with our culture if we think this is ok.

edit on 16-3-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
your fault.
tv at home is a bad attitude (i never had tv at home; of course as you can guess i am not american), tv at home with children is a worse attitude. letting your children watch tv is the worst attitude. your child needs a therapy, as all children who watch tv need.
edit on 16-3-2011 by deccal because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join