It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I feel like I'm going to be sick!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by Wildmanimal

If anything a monitor would have more of an effect on the eyes/brain than a tv...

Anyway, we're off topic here.

Please excuse the off topic reply.

To begin with,
your computer screen is limited to what You click !

your television is constantly using audio and visual stimulation, combine that with the frame rate and you have one of the most powerful thought altering and publicly accepted method of mass manipulation and all this with the blessing of what are they called again, oh yeah, no such agency.

Back to topic.

Sadly and the most obvious is and as you pointed out, you had your child comfortably placed in the comfort zone of your home in front of the idiot box (it is how i represent what the masses identify as television) but as you had realized there is no safe zone not even within your home. There are countless apparatuses at hand to directly affect a percentage of any population regardless of country at will. Obviously young and old and i guess the younger target group would be watching such a program. So i ask you, knowing full well that the target group is geared to a particular age bracket why would they immediately introduce a show that knowingly has as its core conception violence. ?

Would the answer be, to off set a thought pattern of inner ambition instilled by the "idol" and then abruptly move the viewers brain pattern from inner ambition to hostility, paranoia, assumption and introducing the authoritative figure as the wonderful peace keeper all.

P.S. You had no way of knowing, but perhaps in the future you could pre-program the idiot box to cater for your family's needs and not the needs of blindly accepting was is so eloquently conceived as free air waves. I also would like to add, the fact that you took the time to post your disgust and your inner imbalance indicates a human who does use his brain. You seem like a fine parent.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

I was actually addressing the comment about the energy coming from the screen, not the content.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by tristar

I was actually addressing the comment about the energy coming from the screen, not the content.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming

oops...i made a booboo..

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Originally posted by tristar
...perhaps in the future you could pre-program the idiot box to cater for your family's needs...

Yes. I'm going to figure how that works today.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
So, the night has past and my son seems 'business as usual'. But I still feel sick about what happened.

I'm sure he will eventually bring it up, and when he does, at least I'll be composed and ready for it.

I'm such a dumb-ass.

As a parent, I spend so much of my time thinking about what is best for my child, only to realize how ignorant I am on some of the most very basic of perils. I wont be making that mistake twice.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
loam...you need to take a deep breath.

I'm sorry to say this...but this isn't the worse thing your kid is going to see. You can't shelter him from the realities of the world for ever. Sure, none of us want are kids to get traumatized by seeing something they can't handle...but honestly I think your kid will be affected more by how you respond to the event than the actual event.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

You are going way overboard on beating yourself up over this.

Was it unfortunate, yes. Will it scar the kid, probably not. Although I do remember, and probably always will, scenes from early movies and TV that scared me. Stupid Amityville Horror!

Do this.
1. Set your TV so that if TV-14 or above programs come on, they go to blue screen and then prompt you to enter a code.
2. If you kid talks about it later, tell them it was make believe and nobody really got hurt. Kind of like a cartoon.
3. Relax. I watched all sorts of horrible things when I was his age and I'm normal.

PS. I'm not really normal. My alter-ego is a freakin' rabbit. Stupid Night of the Lepus!

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
yeah. if your kid is watching american idol as your idea of "wholesome" programming - his innocence is already gone.

get a grip and get a REAL problem. i began reading this and thought i was going to read of some horrible tragedy happening to your kid.

i read the news everyday and read about little kids being raped by family members, people killing their kids with drugs, kids dieing in vehicle accidents by drunk drivers - thank god your only brush with reality was with your useless television set.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I saw that seen too, I always watch Bones. All of those shows are getting so graphic, that I often sort of avoid the first 5 minutes, because I don't do well with gore. That episode was especially graphic.

Things weren't as graphic on tv when my son was young, but I made sure to explain movies, and tv special effects to him, and how some of the things are done, and that the person doesn't get hurt at all, all make believe. It turned out there were things that he was able to handle better than me. We were watching Jaws one day, and there was a bad scene, a leg floating or something like that, and he told me "mom, its ok, it's only pretend, the actor is really ok".

Educate your child on fake special effects, because it's easier than trying to shield them. There's just too many places and shows where something disgusting and too graphic might be shown. When I was 5, I got up for a glass of water while my parents were watching a movie in which someone got their hand cut off. 45 years later, and I still can't leave my hands outside the blankets when trying to sleep.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Is this what you consider an "ok" thing to watch? if you allow your child to watch these kind of thing on the tv, his innocence is long gone.

A 6yo kid should be watching thing like Sesame Street, Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Sponge Bob, and even on those there's still things like mild violence and things kids shouldn't be concerned about (Sesame Street - Bug Out Bag)

Same thing when he gets older, when i was 8-9 years old kids on school would already talk about sex, genitals etc, we didn't know what we were talking about, just things we would see or overhear (tv?) now what are you going to do about that? keep your son on a bubble and save his "innocence" forever?

It's a bad bad world out there.

edit on 28-1-2011 by neekian11 because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-1-2011 by neekian11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by neekian11

Seeing a girl in a bikini ruins innocence? Please, please get a grip (not that kind).

A 6 year old seeing a girl in a bikini is a lot different than a wacked-out-on-hormones 15 year old boy seeing the same girl.

Come on.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
loam...you need to take a deep breath.

I'm sorry to say this...but this isn't the worse thing your kid is going to see. You can't shelter him from the realities of the world for ever.

I understand this. But a 6 year old is a 6 year old.

He shouldn't have been exposed to that kind of violent imagery.

reply to post by WickettheRabbit

Originally posted by WickettheRabbit
Will it scar the kid, probably not.

I hope not.

reply to post by Domino94

Now that you have sufficiently judged me to your satisfaction, feel better?

reply to post by snowspirit

I hear ya.

reply to post by neekian11

First of all, let's get something clear. We are not a family glued to the TV, like some apparently assume, notwithstanding my repeated indications to the contrary. Moreover, if you saw what I saw last night, there would be no way ANY RATIONAL PERSON would equate anything on AI to the horrible scene in question.

But if it makes you feel better to use my ignorance to such possibilities as an example of your superiority, knock yourself out.
edit on 28-1-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Get a grip people... geeze!

I can't stand people who are this sheltered.

Man up and act like a responsible role model.

Like what was stated before, the way YOU deal with situations is much more important.

It's really not even that big of a deal.

In less than 2 years... your child will experience catastrophes, chaos, and UFO's...

Wolverine can grow up too.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Mayura

I think anyone who 'prefers' to watch real-world gruesome murder scenes online has a perspective I will likely NEVER agree with.

Honestly, I'm revolted by the admission made in your earlier post.

I urge you to seek help. You sound like you need it.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildmanimal
reply to post by loam

Hey now just a minute, did your child not come running to you and discuss what was witnessed?
I would say that speaks wonders not only about your child's level of discretion, but also about the quality
of upbringing that you and your wife provide. Just tell him that you love him and that TV is stupid sometimes.
He will get it.

Kind of strange that those types of scenes would be broadcasted immediately after family programming wouldn't
you say? So now you know. Their looking for souls to steal, even if their six years old.

Don't be so hard on yourself, it is not your fault. There is a policy of worldwide of visual desensitization now.

edit on 28-1-2011 by Wildmanimal because: add in

You hit the nail on the head. The OP just receive evidence of what type of person he and his wife are raising, kudos to them. Unfortunately parents will find themselves looking for more things for them to do with their children besides watching tv since extreme nonsense often fill the airwaves day and night.
edit on 28-1-2011 by Chai_An because: after thought

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
************WARNING-- VERY GRAPHIC**********************

So they have now posted the full episode.

It's called "Bullet in the Brain".

The relevant scene starts 3:30 into the show.

EDITED to ADD:

Really, things should not have progressed this far on television. What is wrong with this country???????

Who thinks this is OK?????

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I'd recommend writing to the network (or e-mail), and state that such a promo should not be shown during a "family" show on in primetime.

I wonder, do you use the parental tools for violence though, and would these tools look at the commercials? (probably not), and you could use this in your argument.

American idol is worse. It is telling young children that by looking pretty and adhering to other peoples work and style is how you gain success / love / attention .

That's false. They've put some ugly ducklings through to Hollywood, just on talent (however, they've put some bombshells through just on looks too as long as they could halfway carry a tune), but my point is, they didn't laugh them out the door if they could sing. It's the ones who THINK they can sing, and then can't believe it when told how bad they are, that make me watch the show during the audition weeks. After that, could care less, hehe....

A 6yo kid should be watching thing like Sesame Street, Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Sponge Bob, and even on those there's still things like mild violence and things kids shouldn't be concerned about

American Idol is perfectly acceptable for a 6 yr old to watch. Have you seen some of the things on Cartoon Network though?
And Sponge Bob...I think that show teaches kids how to be brats. To each their own, but remember, there are parental tools that can assist you in choosing what your children see. Up to each to actually USE them though.
edit on 28-1-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
...loam - i watched the clip... i'd be more concerned with the content of the audio (psycho child killer) then the visual of the shooting or the headless body - but - i wouldnt address it unless the child exposed asked about it or seemed upset...

...i understand wanting to insulate your son from ugliness but dont beat yourself up over this... theres never been a parent who didnt make a mistake somewhere along the way... as mistakes go, this is a minor one...

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I understand the feeling you must have. However I feel that this situation can be rectified with a proper explanation and discussion with your kid about what he saw and how he felt. I feel too many parent ignore situations like this because they hope their kids will just forget and move on and try to avoid future situations like that (which really I think is futile in today's age of media). If there is a discussion about the incident and eventually an understanding about circumstances like that when it happens again in the future (and it will) there will be an understanding in place to assist in handling the situation.

I don't want you to feel or come off as I am telling you how to handle the situation but if you have a discussion about this with your child he might be able to have an understanding of how he feels about it, also this way you know how he feels about it.

addition: after watching the scene in question I admit that is pretty damn graphic for prime time TV. U don't usually even see content as graphic as that in R theater...

edit on 28-1-2011 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Wow. I must be a terrible parent. My daughter loves that show and I let her watch it. Although, she does leave the room for the commercials because they always show really creepy horror movie ads in the commercial break. She thinks Temperance Brennan has the most awesome job. Furthermore, although she absolutely loves music, she cannot stand American Idol-she thinks its cheesy, worthless and rather dull. For future reference 9pm is not kids TV watching time, 8pm is pushing it and he might not enjoy some of the commercials. They might even give him nightmares. Don't worry though, there are alot of things in this world that are not nice. Your son will surely experience some of them in the near future. The world is not a nice place, there are some real life atrocities going on and if the next generation doesn't know or understand the world we live in nothing will ever change. They will become subservient to the state, they will not fight for social justice. They will be ignorant of the world around them and the suffering of the people of the world. Igorance is bliss, but its not always right.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join