It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.9 quake in Taupo where a supervolcano rests!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
nz.news.yahoo.com...

A large 5.9 magnitude earthquake rocked Taupo and was felt throughout the North Island early this morning.
The magnitude 5.9 quake struck at 4.02 am, 30km north of Taupo, at a depth of 150km, GNS Science reported.
The quake was widely felt throughout the North Island. A police spokesman said they were yet to receive any reports of damage.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Hope it doesn't trigger an eruption. Do you know how long the Taupo volcano has been sleeping? 5.9 is a significant quake and to have it near a supervolcano very concerning. Please let us know of updates. Hope people in NZ are alright.

link   

edit on 27-1-2011 by crazydaisy because: Double post

link   

edit on 27-1-2011 by crazydaisy because: Triple post - gee!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of a supervolcano in Taupo until now. Turns out Lake Taupo itself is a product of the Oruanui eruption that occured 26,500 years ago (which was the last eruption of the supervolcano)

Slightly off topic but is it just me or is that "26,500 years ago" phrase used more often than not concerning prophecies and date setting for impending disasters? Meh, maybe its just me

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by FermiFlux

Nope. You're correct.

The last time anything happened anywhere of any interest was about 26,500 years ago, give or take four hours.

link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
Hope it doesn't trigger an eruption. Do you know how long the Taupo volcano has been sleeping? 5.9 is a significant quake and to have it near a supervolcano very concerning. Please let us know of updates. Hope people in NZ are alright.

According to Wikipedia..

Lake Taupo, in the centre of New Zealand’s North Island is not recognised as such by most people, but it is actually the Caldera of a large rhyolitic volcano. This huge volcano has produced two of the world’s most violent eruptions in geologically recent times.

The Taupo Volcano forms part of the Taupo Volcanic Zone, a region of volcanic activity that extends from Ruapehu in the South, through the Taupo and Rotorua regions, to White Island, in the Bay of Plenty.

Taupo began erupting about 300,000 years ago, but the main eruptions that still affect the surrounding landscape are the Oruanui eruption, about 26,500 years ago, that is responsible for the shape of the modern caldera, and the Taupo Eruption, about 1,800 years ago. However, there have been many more eruptions, with about one every thousand years or so.

link   

Thanks for the info - and yea that 26,500 sounds a bit familiar as you stated.

link   

edit on 27-1-2011 by crazydaisy because: double post

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
wow seems like alot of volcanos are wakeing up sure makes ya wonder whats going on..Please keep us up to date on whats going on..thanks for posting this~~

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
It seems to me that not only is there alot of volcanic activity but also larger earthquakes, and land mass changes. We have Indonesia sinking Africa splitting in two Greenland getting an earlier sun rise. Floods mudslides and avalanches, the world surely is changing and fast!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Hmmm,. sure does seem like thinks are heating up inside the earth,.
I wonder why.........sun maybe?...

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

I reckon your right, I have always thought it funny that we are led to believe the sun has no influence on our planet and yet the moon controls the tides? Never really understood the logic in that one. Now though we are armed with the internet or "etheral consciousness" and it is harder to keep us mere mortals at bay. The anwser is just a mouse click away

Today more and more astronomers are able to put there points across and to be honest I have heard more sense from those with no budget than I have ever heard from the likes of NASA and co.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
It now seems like day after day I wake up and read concerning reports about earth, be it volcanic activity, earthquakes, or dead [insert animal name here] falling from the sky. Things aren't looking very good right now.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by FermiFlux

Slightly off topic but is it just me or is that "26,500 years ago" phrase used more often than not concerning prophecies and date setting for impending disasters? Meh, maybe its just me

It was not until you said that. Now everyone will think they recall that. Human nature

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by CivilDisobedience
It now seems like day after day I wake up and read concerning reports about earth, be it volcanic activity, earthquakes, or dead [insert animal name here] falling from the sky. Things aren't looking very good right now.

You need to do some study on these topics. There is nothing unusual going on. Natural disasters are well, natural. The wild theories are just wild theories. Some people even like to scare themselves. I never really understood why.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by serenecalamityz

Our resident Puterman Did an outstanding job putting together info to show
that earthquakes do not seem to be on the rise. But even though the numbers and
graphs are very accurate. I still feel that things are picking up in activity.
We have already started this year of with many 7's.
as as it is too early to start an average,. for now it only seems to be increasing.
It has been said that because of the great news coverage that we are more
informed of what is going on globally,. but as many of us know that flocks of
birds dont just drop out of the sky daily,.or the many other mass die offs that have
been occurring lately,. things are just not SSDD.
I think the earth is heating up at the core,.
I also believe this is why the earth is having more volcanic activity,.
But I am not a geologist nor do I do I play one on stage
we shall see..

edit on 27-1-2011 by Lil Drummerboy because: spelling duh

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

You need to do some study on these topics. There is nothing unusual going on. Natural disasters are well, natural.

Nice logic.

Ya know, Yellowstone blowing would also be natural but would sure scare the &%$% outta me..

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Just because something is natural does not mean it shouldn't be alarming or upsetting. Well sure, earthquakes, volcanoes, etc.. are all naturally occuring events, but does that mean we shouldn't be concerned about them?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by CivilDisobedience

Just because something is natural does not mean it shouldn't be alarming or upsetting. Well sure, earthquakes, volcanoes, etc.. are all naturally occuring events, but does that mean we shouldn't be concerned about them?

lol, yeah it's sure freaky logic..
Planets colliding is also natural..

I feel so relieved ..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join