It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breakthrough promises $1.50 per gallon synthetic gasoline with no carbon emissions

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Maybe I wasn't clear enough...: 1.Electric cars are more efficient than both hydrogen powered cars and oil powered cars, hence they need less energy. 2. The energy that they do require is safer than oil in the first place.

I understand where your going but your just creating more demand for electricity which is mostly generated by fossil fuels. Your effectively replacing 100 petrol engines powering cars directly, with,one giant petrol engine powering 100 electric motors remotely.

Indeed there could be s some savings in fuel though this tidied up process but on a global scale where demand is going through the ceiling, the saving is hardly visible.

I'm not knocking you mate I'm just pointing out something that I amongst many failed to observe when I got all orgasmic about the possibilities of an electric car.

We either find another way of generating electricity cheaply, safely and very quickly or the majority of us are headed back into the dark ages. If this new oil is safe,inexhaustible, and not going to cost us the earth literally then we could be on to a brighter future

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gloster
Just one smart question...How are they going to put that synthetic gasoline deep under the ground?????????????????????

Priceless
Priceless Second line

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
The source is gizmag - or jizzmag - maybe a fellow Brit can tell you guys what that means in UK slang but that is not a source to be believed - sorry

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by DisbeIief
How difficult is it for people to understand that if this turns out to be practical then it will be the oil companies that will manufacture and distribute this new fuel.

Saving billions in exploration, rigs and piplines etc they will just sell it for close to what fossil fuels sell for while making a hell of a lot more from it.

The only benefit will be less pollution which as most of us already know was only really an excuse to hike up the tax in the first place.

People won't wear it mate.

If they were to flog this stuff @ current fossil fuel prices, and you knew it only cost a few pence per litre to produce, would you be ready to pay £1.33 per litre for it? I know i wouldn't, and i reckon that's how most people would feel too.

The oil companies will be doing and saying anything they possibly can to rubbish and bury or limit this technology's uptake. For every gallon of this new 'Oil 2.0' sold, is a gallon they don't sell, it's also going to drastically eat into government tax revenues from the oil co's, so they are not going to like that one bit, despite all the 'plastic' rhetoric from them about global warming, climate change and environmental matters.

No, the oil co's are going to be crapping themselves about this.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by VonDoomen

Breakthrough promises $1.50 per gallon synthetic gasoline with no carbon emissions

www.gizmag.com

UK-based Cella Energy has developed a synthetic fuel that could lead to US$1.50 per gallon gasoline. Apart from promising a future transportation fuel with a stable price regardless of oil prices, the fuel is hydrogen based and produces no carbon emissions when burned. The technology is based on complex hydrides, and has been developed over a four year top secret program at the prestigious Rutherford Appleton Laboratory near Oxford. Early indications are that the fuel can be used in existing internal combustion engined vehicles without engine modification.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
infogreenglobal.com
rathergather.com
blogs.howstuffworks.com
en.wikipedia.org

this kinda stuff sickens me

yea, this makes news because you can still turn a profit from it. not like itll ever see the light of day though. how about we actually turn away from fossil fuels that pollute and dont renew and become self sufficient. we dont need to be working on a way to extend the life of fossil fuels we need to be researching cleaner renewable energy sources.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by vonspurter
The source is gizmag - or jizzmag - maybe a fellow Brit can tell you guys what that means in UK slang but that is not a source to be believed - sorry

Forget the spunky source, this is legit.

Go along to the company's website and have a gander.

www.cellaenergy.com...

It's real.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
If this report is true, one of the following is sure to occur:

The inventor will die in a tragic accident.

The inventor will be suicided, quickly cremated and forgotten.

The venture will be bought out and the technology shelved.

The company will be bankrupted or otherwise discredited.

History truely DOES repeat itsself when BigOil is threatened.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Question Fate

I think you've misunderstood mate, this technology isn't about extending the life of fossil fuels, although there would undoubtedly be a substantial overlap between the two, before petrol/diesel is phased out completely.

This can be used totally independent of fossil fuels or can be mixed with them in whatever ration you want.

50/50 old and new, or even 99/1 new and old.

It's about ultimately replacing the majority of fossil fuel use for transportation and using this non polluting, clean tech instead.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by spikey

I think if you offered most people in the US a chance to pay $1.50 a gallon with very little change needed in their car set up then most would jump.

In the UK we would grumble about $8 a gallon for some new fuel but as much as we would grumble we would pay it, maybe not right at the start but very quickly. Government rarely if ever reduces taxes unless it's for the rich.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by DisbeIief

They wouldn't really have a choice about the tax situation.

The tax is applied on fossil fuels *supposedly* to offset the pollution and environmental impact it has.

If there is very little pollution and environmental impact, the 70-80% fuel tax we currently 'enjoy' here in the UK would simply be made irrelevant and could not be applied to the new fuel.

I could understand a token, 'transition' tax being applied, but it could only be for a small % of the cost of a gallon, which if it's about 90p a *gallon* at most the 'transition' tax could only realistically be set around 10-20%, (plus the VAT on top of course), or people will realise they're taking the financial piss, and go bananas.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by VonDoomen

www.gizmag.com

UK-based Cella Energy has developed a synthetic fuel that could lead to US$1.50 per gallon gasoline. Apart from promising a future transportation fuel with a stable price regardless of oil prices, the fuel is hydrogen based and produces no carbon emissions when burned. The technology is based on complex hydrides, and has been developed over a four year top secret program at the prestigious Rutherford Appleton Laboratory near Oxford. Early indications are that the fuel can be used in existing internal combustion engined vehicles without engine modification.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
infogreenglobal.com
rathergather.com
blogs.howstuffworks.com
en.wikipedia.org

Small Modifications would have to be made. Hydrogen would be best utilized in its gaseous form. Look up Denny Klein. He should how to easily and cheaply convert a gas powered auto to a hydrogen powered auto.
He has also solved the issue of extracting hydrogen in an easy cheap form, and has his own line of sports cars coming out. They bitterly run on water.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
I doubt my bmw 5 series would run on it...most European cars are highly specialized and have lots of digital systems in the car that are tailored specifically for gasoline.

Well aren't you a sucker for admiration...The Professional I ask you

On Topic: If this method of 'fuel' production is viable, & was funded & developed in England you can bet your bottom dollar the Rothschild's have their greasy thumb in the pie. Perhaps a power move against their Rockefella associates because at the moment the price of oil is helping to cripple their UK economy.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
no care
nothing's changed
call me when it's seawater instead of oil

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Just like others who commented, I feel the same way. When this news becomes a reality is when I will believe its validity. There have been countless claims and patents invented by individuals around the world yet we still continue to use gasoline. I'm sure the oil industry mostly if not the auto industry or even oil producing countries will try everything in its power to stop revolutionary products competing with them but they cannot possibly curb each and every single inventions. I'm very very optimistic that some of the oil/car manaufacturers actually own/bought out few such patents invented by individuals and possibly utilize downstream when really perfected for day to day use or use it to boost the value of the company shares when needed. Either way, I would love to see a working prototype on the streets to back the claim and be introduced soon into the market if proven worthy just so we beat the crude oil monopoly.
edit on 28-1-2011 by hp1229 because: stupid typos

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz

Hydrogen powered cars suck and they always will.

You've made the same mistake in thinking that a few others have in this thread. This is not hydrogen gas or a hydrogen fuel cell.

In layman's terms, it's kinda like hydrogen stored in a liquid medium. If you knew how easy or difficult it was to achieve this, then you'd be the one giving the press conference to the media. Any discussion of the energy required to make this hydride is speculation at this point.
edit on 28/1/11 by Smokersroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

It's not the cost at all.

They could sell gas for 40 cents a gallon but they don't, they prices are fixed, just as the prices of diamonds are fixed.

I wouldn't hold my breath on this or any other means of fuel, unless you can produce it yourself at home.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Bit more info on it here after being reported in the news.

British scientists 'invent artificial petrol' that could cost just 90p per GALLON (and there's no carbon). It is due to be available at the pumps in 3 to 5 years.

daily mail.co.uk

Allthough im guessing the 90p will be before tax, and it will be £9 after tax.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
reply to post by VonDoomen

It's not the cost at all.

They could sell gas for 40 cents a gallon but they don't, they prices are fixed, just as the prices of diamonds are fixed.

I wouldn't hold my breath on this or any other means of fuel, unless you can produce it yourself at home.

There's no reason why you couldn't.

You'd need a power supply, either wind, solar, grid or combination, an electrolyser and a hydride filled container to receive the evolved HHO. The HHO could then be used to drive a gas generator to make electricity, or heat water for heating and bathing, cooking, powering a vehicle...even to produce clean and pure drinking water.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Do you know what is going to happen?
No. The inventor is not going to get suicided. The labs are not going to blow up. Black helicopters are not going to swoop down and abduct the scientists.

What is going to happen is the synthetic gasoline will "have to undergo vigorous testing and is years away from commercial application". And then you will never hear about it again.

Just like the highly efficient solar cells some researchers at Ohio State University started developing in 2007/2008. These cells absorbed full spectrum and were going to promise a level of efficiency a few orders of magnitude above and beyond current solar cells. Commercial application of these cells was "a few years away" in 2008. Well, it has been a "few years" and everybody forgot about this promising technology and although solar cells have fallen in price, the efficiency is not on par with that was expected by this technology.

We have very short attention spans, and when a new technology has to get tied up for several years for "testing" it is very easy to make that technology disappear. Besides, the military needs to play with it for awhile before it can go commercial anyway.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by malcr

There is absolutely nothing to stop governments encouraging home generation and storage of electricity for both home and car use.......well except that the "fuel" would be free and thus not generate any tax revenues.

I absolutely agree and please don't think I'm dissing anyone here as I am not, I'm merely pointing out some huge issues that need addressing on a global scale.

Almost everything we associate with our lives in the 21st century is affected by oil, and we are at the point of getting to the dregs of supply.

The demand for the goods produced by oil by growing economies such as China and India etc is going to take us back to the dark ages if we don't do something drastic and quick.

The goods produced by oil include your domestic wind turbines , the coatings on solar panels, batteries, your computer, the wrappers on your lunch. If you look around you right now I'd bet you'd find it very difficult to find anything that hasn't been made from, processed or got to you by oil.

If every home with electricity were to be given free of charge a wind turbine and solar panel how long would this take ? Now multiply it by how many billions who are now acquiring the goods to use up that energy .

If the population of the US suddenly decide to revert to hunter gathering it would not solve the problem the nations like China and Africa are going to guzzle every last drop of oil before you blink.

As a species we need a real hard rethink or planetary wide Kull.

Unfortunate but inevitable Mr Anderson

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join