It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breakthrough promises $1.50 per gallon synthetic gasoline with no carbon emissions

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

The funny thing is son he's not even right...

This is a NEW GOLDEN AGE for home experimenters. Engines and etc are more tuneable and customizeable for CHEAPER than they have EVER BEEN. And that's before you even factor in the THOUSANDS of forums out there with dedicated gear heads of every stripe that will lend you their knowledge and sometimes professional experience FOR FREE to help you along in your projects.

Stuff like that is not just an ego stroke it's a total fallacy that makes people too scared to EVEN TRY to make their own lives better. Cars are not hard to work on computers are not scary. All you need to do is read the directions and make sure if you are out of your depth that you consult with someone who has more experience.

My sincere hope is that people ignore statements like that designed to make people accept sealed systems directly from a manufacturer and think they can't do anything to make it better or customize it to fit their needs.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by shagreen heart

Gas is over $3.00 here now and I think the point is, no pollution.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
If I'm not mistaken, and I recollect my chemistry classes correctly... gasoline cannot burn without water being a part of the content.

Another common misconception is that hydrogen is this highly unstable, highly combustible gas. If I'm not mistaken, the misconception is centered around how fast the Hindenburg went up in flames. It was later deemed that the materials used for the outer skin on the blimp was the rapid oxidizer causing the flash-burn effect. Hydrogen by itself would make a wonderful fuel agent.

I'd drive a car with this fuel cell in it any day! My hats off to the developers. Its quite the accomplishment to utilize the same engine as what is commonly used with no major re-tooling or modifications to be done.

S&F

Ex

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Do any of you really believe that the Oil companies,
Oil producers,Oil lobbiests
or the Republican or Democratic parties,
will ever let this wonderful breakthrough come to light???

Sad world we live in, bought and sold, before our very eyes!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

Thanks for the Input. I've also been tinkering with an idea.
Instead of using oil to power the factories that would produce this
but why not make these buildings green? Use solar and wind
and make these factories passive generators?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
The main problems for alternate energy has always been storage and safety.
Three cheers for these companies for making advancements in these area's.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I would agree. Im paying around $3.30 a gallon which is pretty rough as a full time student. I doubt we will ever see gas below $2 a gallon. And I would actually be fine with around $2 a gallon even though I can remember gas being a little more than a dollar when I was younger. I have no problem with companies making a profit for providing a service, but come, lets get with the future. Short term gains are not worth of long term instability.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Sweet, another energy technology developed we can all feel disappointed never comes out.

not cynical, just been alive for more than 10 years.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

Actually I have researched majorly on alternative fuels. Did you know you can make gasoline yourself? It is very very technical and requires a lot of infrastructure but you can make it. Gasoline has a higher energy content than hydrogen.

Dont worry I have prepared, no I cant make my own gasoline yet. Maybe in the future i would be able to make my own. There are some people making their own diesel. If you want to know more about how to make gasoline ask.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Nobody should get to excited about this announcement.

First off they don't even know if it will work in existing engines for sure yet - which means it hasn't been tested. Second it sounds like an exotic process using some form of nanotechnology - which most likely means they can't make any significant amount, and even if they figure out the process the amount of time and money needed to scale up to production on a meaningful scale will be massive.

I know a little about biofuels, and there are many companies that are doing some very promising things, my favorite being Solazyme which already makes diesel and, aircraft jet fuel from algae oil that can be grown through fermentation from waste crops like corn husks, switchgrass etc. They have gotten their fuels certified as drop in replacements and have contracts with the navy for ship and jet fuel. The problem is they have to scale the process up, and get the costs down. That is the big problem for any replacement fuel, creating a little bit has been done by dozens of different companies.

This announcement sounds to me like a ploy to try and get the company venture capital funding to continue on with their process. Even if everything they say is true, it takes years to get to mass production on such a product and there are a lot of competitors who are much further along.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Is there the stock symbol for this company?????? I can"t find it!!!!!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by titanguy

No, of course not read the press release, they have not even tested it in a car yet. Believe it or not, a company at least has to have some revenues before it goes public, even in today's irrational market.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

If it's synthetic, then there is a repercussion. It might not be on the order of carbon emissions, but there will be some secondary aspect; some side-effect. I hate to be pessimistic or what not, but the truth is that historically, anytime there is a new panacea, it always leads to new ills, social, environmental, or whatever there may be.

This is putting their synthetic technology against the degradation of the system as is - status quo. I think the system of transportation/trade/consumption is the issue, not the tweaking, fine-tuning and substitution for elements of it.

But I'll give it the benefit of the doubt...even though I might be gritting my teeth while doing so.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

This is all good however there is still the ability to dictate how we live our lives. Just saying, we will trade one evil for another unless they make it possible for each individual to process this fuel themselves. Just my opinion and my way of trying to look at this from a different angle. Still S&F

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Is it really synthetic gasoline or fuel designed to run in current engines.
This may be misleading

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

A tease bin ? We dont even have a hoax bin ? lol , Watching this one unfold will be interesting ..:_

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by blangger

Thanks. Im just trying to share the message, as this is what this whole website is about. whether or not this stuff pans out like we would all like to see is still unwritten. I think we should use this tech as a supplement to oil. We cant expect every car and gas station to convert overnight? But we should look for a more viable long term choice.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by remyrange

Stop being so damn skeptical for once.

It's people with your mindset that are setting back this country another 50 years.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Nice! Hope it's not bunk...but if so it will likely be ignored by the masses and hidden away in some Naval research lab...something like this could cause mass breakout of world peace...you know they're not going to let that happen

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Yes, hydrogen is the most abundant thing in the universe, however, it's not abundant on Earth; we have more oxygen than hydrogen.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join