It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians, Muslims, Jews (and others) - please stop monopolizing the concept of "God"!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
The fact that each religion is claiming their god to be the only one, I see it as a monopoly. Because of this, even some atheists exclaim, "If god existed, how could he be anything like in the bible?".

That's their version of god according to THEIR religion. The word "god" is thrown around way too much, and personally, I think it's a misnomer at this point.

That said, especially to the unbelievers, the concept of god is tainted, thanks to certain religions.

I'm agnostic. My perception of what I HOPE (not believe) this "God" is would be just an energy - a creative force responsible for the creation of matter, the laws of physics, and so on - AND THAT'S IT.

No judging, no playing favorites, no sending to this hell, no commanding to murder - no. With my way of thinking, everything had to have come from something - perhaps setting off the big bang (or maybe the Universe is infinite).

Regardless, if you look at the way things are (atoms, solar systems - EVERYTHING) - someTHING had to have put it together.

But I don't like to call it "god". I like to call this thing "creation".

So, once again, can you religious folks please stop hogging the word "god"???! Your religion isn't the only one! That should be indicative all religions are not correct, or convoluted.

Did I offend some of you? Well, some of you offend me when you all promulgate your god to be "the only one", and really believe you're right when you don't know any more than me.

Mods, if this more of a rant, please - by all means... Thanks.
edit on 1/25/2011 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Hi there.

You had me at jews.

(jk)

No offense to jews in general! (For I am part).

I agree with the whole of your notion... likely entirely should we have been in a personal debate for further details.

I want to add though, I suspect that each culture, or at least the dominant cultures which claim 'god' as their own and profess stories and so forth of the existance of such LIKELY had SOME SORT of experience with SOME SORT OF entities they considered to be for the lack of a better word "GODS".

Yes, I am hinting (on ATS! omg) that Aliens, (probably a lot like us, but many thousands of years advanced, likely some less or the other direction too) were the original "gods".

It would explain the differing interpretations and the fact that these 'religions' actually gained reputable following in heartstopping/gutwrenching numbers that cannot be ignored or dismissed.

(not to mention the numerous accounts, drawings, paintings, scipture, and tesitimonials pointing to such throughout documented history)

(I think most are passed believing Posiedon figure from "The little Mermaid" is sitting on a cloud watching, judging , and keeping tally on everything you do (from winning awards, (sports music) and/or otherwise)

What would make sense, is that there are people similar to us (to whatever degree), 'sitting' beyond the clouds, keeping notes and possibly protecting/assisting humanity.
edit on 25-1-2011 by MavRck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Well God is the word given to the sole deity in theism. A deity has and always will be recognized as a supernatural immortal being, and what sets apart your interpretation of God (matter, everythingness) and the religious God is that the religious will always be a supernatural immortal being of some sort and that idea will never be divided from the word God.

To want to call your view of the universe God would be to affiliate the creation with some sort of Law presented by such a deity, why would you want that?
edit on 25-1-2011 by FermiFlux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by MavRck
Hi there.

You had me at jews.

(jk)

No offense to jews in general! (For I am part).

I agree with the whole of your notion... likely entirely should we have been in a personal debate for further details.

I want to add though, I suspect that each culture, or at least the dominant cultures which claim 'god' as their own and profess stories and so forth of the existance of such LIKELY had SOME SORT of experience with SOME SORT OF entities they considered to be for the lack of a better word "GODS".

Yes, I am hinting (on ATS! omg) that Aliens, (probably a lot like us, but many thousands of years advanced, likely some less or the other direction too) were the original "gods".

It would explain the differing interpretations and the fact that these 'religions' actually gained reputable following in heartstopping/gutwrenching numbers that cannot be ignored or dismissed.

(not to mention the numerous accounts, drawings, paintings, scipture, and tesitimonials pointing to such throughout documented history)

(I think most are passed believing Posiedon figure from "The little Mermaid" is sitting on a cloud watching, judging , and keeping tally on everything you do (from winning awards, (sports music) and/or otherwise)

What would make sense, is that there are people similar to us (to whatever degree), 'sitting' beyond the clouds, keeping notes and possibly protecting/assisting humanity.
edit on 25-1-2011 by MavRck because: (no reason given)

Oh - you and I are on the EXACT same page. I don't "believe" in the Ancient Astronaut theory. I just really THINK that's what went down.

And my mom is Jewish, hehe, so I'm part as well.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Well worded. The Christians, Muslims, and Jews do hog the word "God" and its concept. But in their own Holy Books God/Allah refers to other deities as "the god of so and so." According to the Bible and Qur'an, "god" is a title, not name or specific deity. But nowadays if one were to say "god" in any context, it is automatically understood as Abraham's god. Perhaps the god of Abraham is indeed a "jealous god" and tried to copyright the word "god." YHWH, Jehovah, and Allah are the gods of the Christians, Muslims, and Jews, "god" is a title, not a name.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sahabi

Well worded. The Christians, Muslims, and Jews do hog the word "God" and its concept. But in their own Holy Books God/Allah refers to other deities as "the god of so and so." According to the Bible and Qur'an, "god" is a title, not name or specific deity. But nowadays if one were to say "god" in any context, it is automatically understood as Abraham's god. Perhaps the god of Abraham is indeed a "jealous god" and tried to copyright the word "god." YHWH, Jehovah, and Allah are the gods of the Christians, Muslims, and Jews, "god" is a title, not a name.

Yup. It does all trace back to the Abrahamic religions.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by MavRck

I have concluded that there are multiple gods, the god was whoever was in charge of the slaves at the time. I also believe that the god of the old testament is not he same as the GOD of Christ in the new testament. They act completely different. the new testament GOD embodies the inspiration the analogies/metaphors of Jesus. He was communicating the awakening he had and the real atunement to GOD he had awakened within himself.....Jesus also spoke to John regarding we(his laterday followers) would do as great and greater deeds than he had done....that sounds like lofty goals for most of us...but man why the heck not try to be like him??

To further speculate THE REAL ISSUE....religions are like languages of symbolism, mathematics and parables...but just different languages becaus of thier origin on this planet...thier inspirational origin is off this planet in the frequency of positive thought...in the first testament "god" punished man, by "dividing them in into many languages"...to make an effort to prevent unity against this "false god" of the old testament. The GOD that inspires the beautiful and balanced aspects in life is the true GOD...not an advanced being "pretender",

although if many started to worship you as a god...could you resist playing along? And for how long?

...listen quietly and you will find the answers you seek...

edit on 01/22/2011 by Drala because: (no reason given)

edit on 01/22/2011 by Drala because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
So, once again, can you religious folks please stop hogging the word "god"???! Your religion isn't the only one! That should be indicative all religions are not correct, or convoluted.

LOL your reasoning here is something else completely.....is this sentence intended to be logical? Hogging the word "God"? What exactly are you saying is indicative that all religions are not correct? That different people disagree about God? If different people disagree about politics is that indicative that all political ideas are incorrect? And as far as I know there is no religion on the face of the earth that says they are the only religion, but every religion claims to be the only correct one so why bother even pointing out the obvious?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spekx
is this sentence intended to be logical?

Yes

What exactly are you saying is indicative that all religions are not correct?

I am saying they are apparently all incorrect because if there was one right religion - it wouldn't even be a question. There is too much of a split between them. This causes dissonance. If you can not see that, then I don't know what to tell you.

If different people disagree about politics is that indicative that all political ideas are incorrect?

That's apples and oranges, and you know it. Nice try.

And as far as I know there is no religion on the face of the earth that says they are the only religion, but every religion claims to be the only correct one so why bother even pointing out the obvious?

I see I rubbed someone the wrong way. Ok then... Why even bother posting in this thread then? You have to do better than that.

Each (Abrahamic) religion has their own spin on "god", and each description is totally different for each. THAT is why I say these Abrahamic religions taint the word "god"; they make people think that "the all" is either Yahweh, Jesus Christ, and Allah.

Not just that, but because of this schism, there are hard feelings when one doesn't submit to one god. You know what I'm talking about. Look at history and 9/11 and the current wars - and perhaps the NEXT war that could be between Iran and Israel - all religiously motivated. The s**t-slinging NEVER seems to end!

And a person like me gets the evil eye because I try to make people see these things. Oh, the humanity.

All I want is for everyone to get along and be happy. Seriously. And I don't even have a problem with a creator (like I said). I could even deal with religions if the religious just kept it all to themselves - very little problems would arise.

But since people TAKE RELIGION AND THEIR (invisible?) GODS SO SERIOUSLY, it all attaches to their egos so when someone contests them on their beliefs (not all people, but the overly religion and extremists), they tend to get angry. Then violence is a probability.

Or even (and this seems to happen a lot) one religious group can BE keeping to themselves, but then another (Muslim extremists) will run down on them and do awful things. It's sick.

The way *I* see it - The Jews keep to themselves. The Christians (SOME, sorry) try to recruit others, and the Muslims (aack - extremists) will actually get physical. These are from my own observations. It's sick!

But an agnostic like me who is all "happy happy, joy joy" would get beheaded by Muslim extremists, told I will burn in hell if I don't convert by some Christians, or just laughed at (probably) by the Jews. This is madness!

And I making any sense or and I just batstuff crazy???
edit on 1/26/2011 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

That's apples and oranges, and you know it. Nice try.

No its not, it follows the exact same reasoning, you are saying that since people can't agree on who or what God is that all religions must be incorrect.....so follow that logic with what I originally posted, since everybody has different ideas about how government should be run, all political ideas must be incorrect to. And since everybody has different opinions about everything, then everything must be incorrect, otherwise we'd all agree right?

No, you didn't rub me the wrong way, I just don't see anything you posted as having a basis in reality or in logic, if your system doesn't work for everything it won't work for anything. So your logic by rule of elimination must be flawed......I have no desire to make you or anybody believe like I do........but I will also not be told by somebody that I can't use the word God because some weenie will get his feelings hurt, or worse yet....might disagree with me, you cannot censor the people and you cannot censor God you agnostics certainly have no claim on that word anyways......as for your utopian dream of people across the world holding hands and singing Kum-bi-yah get over it.....it will never happen....with or without God people will invent and find new ways to kill and harm each other for the oldest reasons (i.e. infidelity, theft, murder, rape etc). Your solution is grossly insufficient to what you view as the problem

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Spekx

I didn't say that I have a problem with people saying the word "god". I have a problem with people being intrusive about it AND not acknowledging that their religion and god is the only one.

I say this because some Christians tend to say, "There is only one god". It's been said to me MANY times, and when I would say, "Well, that's according to your bible", they would fire back, "No, the bible is the word of god and you should accept JC as your lord and savior or you will go to hell".

I mean - you still don't see where I'm coming from?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by impaired

But I don't like to call it "god". I like to call this thing "creation".

So you are a Pantheist.

I am a Panentheist. I believe there had to be a Creator for this creation.

God is a universal term, a domain of discourse...a King and His dominion. It is an attempt to engage in theoretical discussion among different beliefs.

If you stated "The Creation dictates it," that would be a lot of insight to your principles. A title isn't all there is to one's moral values.

It's all about communication.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
A Pantheist! I was looking in to that and was liking what I was seeing.

So be it, then. Thanks!

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
These guys are Pantheists.

Epic music inspired by the beauty of creation.

www.youtube.com...

edit on 1/28/11 by Soke33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

what about the Sikhs ? you can't leave them out you know...

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soke33

www.youtube.com...

Pantheists are cool by me, just like Agnostics...

I like all kinds of good music so thanks for the vid.

Monotheism's God encompasses Pantheism, it's a part of the same thing...

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact

www.youtube.com...

Pantheists are cool by me, just like Agnostics...

I like all kinds of good music so thanks for the vid.

Monotheism's God encompasses Pantheism, it's a part of the same thing...

The only real difference between a Pantheist and a Panentheist is that Panentheists, like me, believe there is a single Deity at the very top of all that was created; in that I am a Christian, believing imperfect man needs to be taught the effect of negative energies to appreciate a life of totally positive energy. It is within our power, as intellectual beings, to create both positive and negative.

Can you imagine an existence with no negative at all? It is hard to fathom because the way we live today is positive encompassed and challenged by negative energies. That is how we start our vehicles everyday! Friction is everywhere. I believe a world without friction, all positive, will happen...again. It was perfect once, and it will be that way again. The creation dictates it.

I believe people into the creation will more than recognize the Creator because of their principle system. One in tune with the energies of this earth will be within the principles of the One Who created it. Most people contain more positive than negative energy.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Most people contain more positive than negative energy.

indeed, there is more good in the world.

that band has a hint of Mastodon in them btw

edit on 1/29/2011 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

Star for you! I have never heard...I like it.

My son is a musician, and music is a very spiritual thing. I have my face in my books every day, reading proverbs from more than my own Book, even. Asian beliefs are full of wise sayings, some dark, but many Light.

Intricate music like that massages my brain. Sometimes, I need a thumpin' to my mind, and others I need to relax. It balances the positive and negative in our lives, I think.

This is my favorite to relax:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

So you are telling people they must acknowledge the gods of other religions? Absurd, I don't have to acknowledge or respect anybodys religion or opinions if I don't want to (just like nobody has to respect mine Christianity is mocked publically on TV and in the radio). Thats a freedom of thought violation and censorship of the mind. I can say there is only ONE God if I want to, and futher insist that mine is the only correct one.....whom does that hurt? Nobody but a religiously sensitive weenie who got offended because he disagree's with that......again you fail to realize you are promoting anti-free thought propaganda.....sorry if being told your wrong is something so tramatic for you, you want to ban the idea of it.....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join