It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Obsessed with your Youtube account

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

edit on 25-1-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Granted youtube is owned by google, so they already have that info and all.... I don't know. I have had that pop up as well many times and I have never done it... I have no need to. I only use google to do the occasional search... I use youtube all the time though...

Trying to set up ways where we HAVE to join the accounts... It just seems like a waste of time... I am not going to do it... Sorry google. You already have my google account information. You already have my youtube account information.... If you want more, tough.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by cluckerspud
I just tried to create an account. I stopped at the image you see above. It seemed that I did need to create a google account. Did I do something wrong? I dont wanna submit too much info as I really dont care to have a youtube account.
edit on 25-1-2011 by cluckerspud because: (no reason given)

That's odd..
Well, this is what I'm getting when I create a new account. Just tried it and took a screenshot to show.

After I complete this page, I don't even need to verify the email sent to my address in order to view my channel.
I really don't know what's the issue here but I can assure you that my channel was very much there everytime I registered a new YouTube account, and I have never even once registered or logged into Google.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by IsraeliGuy

It is because Google and/or Youtube recognizes the location and/or IP and/or some other factor that identifies you. Every single time I've tried to create a new gmail account on a computer other than my own (esp. public like the library or cafe) gmail will ask for a cell phone number to identify you. If I try to create a new account from my laptop or from someone's who also already has a gmail/google/youtube account, I don't get that extra step. What is occurring with you simply means, they already know who you are.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
LadySkadi, Yeah I know what you're talking about. If I can remember right I think this can be bypassed by deleting your cookies and trying again if you have a dynamic IP. If your IP is static you'll have to use a proxy to create a new account and then to log in.
Doesn't worth the effort IMO but I guess it's better than revealing phone numbers.

But that's regarding gmail accounts.

I'm talking about YT. I never had a gmail account.
I was never asked to enter any gmail account whenever I created a new user at youtube.. Not even after I've tried it some hours ago.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by IsraeliGuy

I'm talking about YT. I never had a gmail account.
I was never asked to enter any gmail account whenever I created a new user at youtube.. Not even after I've tried it some hours ago.

Ok. true. I don't have a u-tube account and I just did a fake registry accessed directly from the u-tube page (but did not complete) for giggles. Made up a fake email and whatnot and was not asked for a google/gmail account. So, who knows what's going on. I really think it's hit n miss with these features - sometimes they get you, sometimes they don't. Shrugs.

edit on 25-1-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by againuntodust
What's even more annoying is when you actually link your accounts.

If you have more than one gmail account and log out of the gmail account linked to youtube, it logs you out of youtube - so you're constantly logging in and out of youtube not on purpose. It's an inconvenience to have to log into youtube again just because you logged into a gmail account not linked with your youtube account.

The good news is even if you link your accounts, they provide an obscure option to UNLINK accounts in your youtube account settings.

I don't even remember linking my accounts, I think I was forced at a point to log in using my gmail account and told that logging in with a youtube name was no longer an option...

This happened to me the other day. I was so pissed about it I looked for a video explanation on YouTube and apparently it began happening to some last Summer (according the the video) for accounts opened before March or May 2008. Haven't seen the obscure UNLINK option yet. Was also warned that all my Google info was now my YouTube info and the old YouTube info was now defunct. Very annoying.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I just got this problem five minutes ago. I've been avoiding linking my youtube account with Google for months, and today it was either make an account or get out. There were a few videos I wanted to watch, so I reluctantly created something with a fake name, but I don't like how it how main google now has my main email address linked with both youtube and the parent company, and now whenever I search for something while logged in (I have no idea if logging out will boot me from youtube, and signing in constantly will be a headache) they're going to have a pretty good profile of me on their system.

Out of curiosity I also had a look into the gmail account. I got put off that a few steps in when the verification came up asking for my mobile number. While I do have a mobile, I certainly don't use it. Even if I did, they would NOT be getting my number.

I await the day where you can't get into a website without a full retinal scan and a dna sample.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
So for quite a while whenever I go onto youtube, a window pops up asking me if I want to link my google and youtube accounts together. Well, why? So I always skipped it. Then on google they linked me to a Obama youtube page where it says "Your interview with the President" oh my, I'm truly blushing. So the first question I saw was about drug decriminalization, so I wanted to vote for it to put the president in the hot seat when he ignores the question just like other decriminalization questions he ignored in the past.

But, I couldn't vote for it, because a message popped up saying login required. I looked up in the upper right corner, and saw my youtube name, confirming I was logged in. Hmm, that's odd, I thought. Then I saw above the question box another message: "Please link your account with Google to vote on questions and ask your own."

www.youtube.com...

Now if this was a google homepage, I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted me to log in. But this is a youtube page, not only that, they say I must be logged in in order to vote. Well I am logged in, what they really mean is I have to link my google and youtube accounts together before I get the privilege to interview the president. I'm still not really sure why they want me to do this so badly, but I'm feeling even less likely to do it.

I kept skipping that thing too but recently they wont allow me to skip it anymore, and to be honest I can't figure it out so I just don't login at all! BLAH!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
As you can quite probably tell just by comparing what the site looked like several years ago to its current design and functionality, Google has been been crippling YouTube ever since they purchased it from the original owners back in 2006. Their attempt at creating a look similar to google.com, a look that says 'simplistic' has, ironically, only made things far more difficult than they have to be. At this point, it seriously appears as though their graphics department is run by children. They often toy with it every other week, perhaps because they're bored (there's never any need for them to do so) and I believe that the required account merging is one of the many results of this. It's unfortunate, but this seems to be the most likely explanation.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join