It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Obsessed with your Youtube account

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
So for quite a while whenever I go onto youtube, a window pops up asking me if I want to link my google and youtube accounts together. Well, why? So I always skipped it. Then on google they linked me to a Obama youtube page where it says "Your interview with the President" oh my, I'm truly blushing. So the first question I saw was about drug decriminalization, so I wanted to vote for it to put the president in the hot seat when he ignores the question just like other decriminalization questions he ignored in the past.

But, I couldn't vote for it, because a message popped up saying login required. I looked up in the upper right corner, and saw my youtube name, confirming I was logged in. Hmm, that's odd, I thought. Then I saw above the question box another message: "Please link your account with Google to vote on questions and ask your own."

www.youtube.com...

Now if this was a google homepage, I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted me to log in. But this is a youtube page, not only that, they say I must be logged in in order to vote. Well I am logged in, what they really mean is I have to link my google and youtube accounts together before I get the privilege to interview the president. I'm still not really sure why they want me to do this so badly, but I'm feeling even less likely to do it.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I too have always been asked to merge my youtube account with gmail accounts and it bothers me so much.
I like the idea of having a synchronicity between my accounts. It sounds like an awesome idea but....

I can't help but feel like it'd be used for tracking purposes, more ads, and in some way shape or form, a further invasion of the privacy we barely have on the internet these days.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Shikamaru

YES, it is absolutely used to track what your interested in so the ads you see are tailored to you. There is a big push to sync your accounts -Yahoo, Google, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, etc. - so that everything about you is tied to one user.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Everybody's doing it, not just Google and not just on YouTube...it's the new coolest thing in connecting and networking.

If you try making a comment oh say Huff Post, they want you to log in or connect with Twitter or FaceBook. Others have even more combinations. ATT's using Yahoo for their email and you can get in with Gmail. It's all so very simple and convenient, isn't it?. Well, it's supposed to be, but that's not why it's there...it's just a step closer to them knowing everything, and I mean everything, about you. I think it's less secure too. One gets hacked, they all get hacked.

(You know what I wish Google would do though? Stop returning me search results that don't even freaking come close to resembling the search argument I put in. I'm thinking that with all these people running around putting in keywords and redirects on pages, Google's going to have a real issue on their hands that going to explode and make them virtually useless. Unless it's just me
which it could be.)
edit on 1/25/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
What's even more annoying is when you actually link your accounts.

If you have more than one gmail account and log out of the gmail account linked to youtube, it logs you out of youtube - so you're constantly logging in and out of youtube not on purpose. It's an inconvenience to have to log into youtube again just because you logged into a gmail account not linked with your youtube account.

The good news is even if you link your accounts, they provide an obscure option to UNLINK accounts in your youtube account settings.

I don't even remember linking my accounts, I think I was forced at a point to log in using my gmail account and told that logging in with a youtube name was no longer an option...

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Maybe because Youtube is owned by Google?
I thought everybody already knew that.
www.msnbc.msn.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

Owner
YouTube LLC (2005–06)
Google Inc. (2006–present)

Not everything is a conspiracy.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by IsraeliGuy
Maybe because Youtube is owned by Google?
I thought everybody already knew that.
www.msnbc.msn.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

Owner
YouTube LLC (2005–06)
Google Inc. (2006–present)

Not everything is a conspiracy.

then why do they even need to ask? They obviously know the two accounts are mine, but for some legal reason they have to ask?

Conspiracies exist.
edit on 25-1-2011 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
the only thing that bothers me about these link ups is that's it a pain in the *** and half the time their webpages don't work, or you missed one piece of information and fill it in, only to be brought back to fill in something else you. has far as privacy concerns, all the information i ever fill out on these things a fake anyways.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Less concerning to me are the ad trackers following me around (there are ways to block many) but more the ability for sites to compile activity across the internet and compose it into one location. There are many examples of sites that will access public information (including addresses, phones, mortgages, etc.) take one's real identity and match it with usernames on different forums/youtube/etc as well as accessing social sites, compile it all and create profiles of you for anyone who wishes to look you up. It's like the new white-pages phone book, but far more intrusive. BTW, do they even print the white-pages anymore? Everything is online, linking accounts together will create the new "digital profile" and that is very attractive for many people. Easy-peasy... until the "stalker" (in whatever form that turns out to be) finds you...

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by IsraeliGuy

I always think google is is linked to the american military. That says it all, and why its so popular.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
then why do they even need to ask? They obviously know the two accounts are mine, but for some legal reason they have to ask?

Conspiracies exist.

No not 'some legal reason', the reason is that they don't want to force you to integrate them. It's just an option..
Would you like it better if there would be a system that automatically does that for you? Wouldn't you then say there's a conspiracy?

Username integration is everywhere between companies that either work together or two companies that are owned by the same people. It's not that strange and it even makes sense.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

relax, I never said I wanted them to force integration. Not everything is a conspiracy you know. I was just pointing out that they really want us to link our accounts, you go ahead and do what you need to do.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Yep, this happened to me as well. They force you to have a google account now if you want to have a youtube channel. Its pathetic.

That isn't what angered me though. The fact that they want your cell phone number to even have an account?!? I don't even own a cell phone in the first place.

I have a way around this though. As I have created multiple google accounts in the past which never asked for a cell phone number for "verification".

If you have an old google account you can use this to link your accounts and you don't have to give them your cell phone number at all.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I feel that one day we will have one log in to do any social networking.
My yahoo mail encourages me to use google or farcebook.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by CPYKOmega
They force you to have a google account now if you want to have a youtube channel.

Umm.. No they don't.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

They did to me. Why would I lie?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

edit on 25-1-2011 by cluckerspud because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Not saying you're lying, perhaps you're just having trouble with the site.

Try it yourself.. simply create a new account, no need to even verify the email or anything - just click on your Username button (top right corner) then go to My Channel.
Is there a channel over there or isn't there?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
My ATT internet ISP forced me to have a Yahoo account and I despise Yahoo almost as much as I do Google.Just saying....
edit on 1/25/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by IsraeliGuy

Not saying you're lying, perhaps you're just having trouble with the site.

Try it yourself.. simply create a new account, no need to even verify the email or anything - just click on your Username button (top right corner) then go to My Channel.
Is there a channel over there or isn't there?

I just tried to create an account. I stopped at the image you see above. It seemed that I did need to create a google account. Did I do something wrong? I dont wanna submit too much info as I really dont care to have a youtube account.
edit on 25-1-2011 by cluckerspud because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join