It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drugged up by Mountain Dew? Contains a painkiller and psychiatric medication?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Some people commented about cough medicine causing brain damage etc.

I used to be really fond of cough medicine. I would go to the grocery store and buy 30 bottles of Robitussin cough and then go home and chug 3 of em back to back. Later I got sick of drinking so much of the stuff and I switched to Coricidin Cough and Cold pills, I could eat 2 boxes of those pills like it was m&m's. (bad idea, they contain some chemicals that affect blood pressure, I probably could have died, but didn't)

The catch is, it's all about the sub-ingredients. Cough medicine should be guafenesin to loosen phlegm and then dextromethoriphan the main ingredient is something like PCP, you disassociate from your body and its symptoms of having a cold. Anything else they put in there, it's 99% likely to kill you if you overdose.

So if you stick to basic cough medicine with just those 2 friendly ingredients then you'll be fine. It's the cough and cold and flu meds (see multiple symptom relief type meds) that have nasty chemicals in em that cause brain bleeding and whatnot. The DXM and guaff is mostly harmless.

on the subject of mt dew, I was drinking those mt. dew throwbacks and they gave me massive mood swings. I thought I was turning diabetic for a bit there. It was scary. I had to give em up. they were making me crazy. Or crazier than I normally am anyway.

I never got that from regular mt dew, and I never touch anything diet. I know aspertame is poison. nod.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by vermonster

Nice pickup ont he gum dude. I had a feeling I'd seen it on other food packaging before.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by guyopitz

I never got that from regular mt dew, and I never touch anything diet. I know aspertame is poison. nod.

Me too bro. Anythign diet is poison.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Smell The Roses

Phenylalanine is a naturally occurring amino acid and is also found in chocolate. That's why chocolate makes people happy. Put your tin foil hats away everyone

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by dnvrliz

I know one thing, when they stopped putting pseudoephedrine in antihistamine meds they started putting in phenylalanine....

I think you may be confusing phenylalanine with phenylephrine - a nasal decongestant drug that replaced pseudoephedrine in many OTC cold/sinus products due to meth production concerns

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Back in the 70s I was Tab drinker. Never thought of anything harmful in the drink.

When I was pregnant in 1988, doctor told me not to eat or drink anything diet/lite ... well, if diet/lite was harmful to my baby, why in the world would I drink/eat it anyway. Wouldn't it also be harmful to mama??

I had heard that newborns receive a little needle prick on their heels to be tested for PKU (PHENYLKETONURICS) which causes retardation in babies!!

I realize that corn syrup is other drinks is bad too but I'd rather take my chances with a real Coke than a diet/lite anything else.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
i find it funny that all these people are so quick to rush in and defend the phenylalanine warning on all the labels, but whenever i see that on a label, i immediately look for aspartame (which IS a neurotoxin) and sure enough.. i always find it where the sugar should be.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I am very glad that research is being done on those "other" chemicals.

Oh man this is just the tip of the iceberg.

We haven't seen nothin' yet!

Keep up the good work ! I am very pleased with these developments.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Griffo

Phenylalanine is a naturally occurring amino acid and is also found in chocolate. That's why chocolate makes people happy. Put your tin foil hats away everyone

But the levels of it in coca is so small that it harmlessly passes through the body. Products embedded with it have it dominate the product which causes the chaos.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   

I started noticing ingredients in fizzy and non-fizzy juice drinks cos I am concerned about what my 16 year old daughter might be consuming. I noticed in nearly all of em amongst other things is aspartame. This is, apparently, made up of three different poisons including one that is the main ingredient in rat poison!! I then e-mailed the makers of these products, a company by the name of "Britvic" and informed them of the poisons they are putting into their products. They then replied with a list of products they do without aspartame, etc. These were few and far between! They also quoted the World Health Organisation but that means nothing as the WHO are involved in stuff like this up to their necks. And indeed, I read that as soon as any epidemic or pandemic becomes big and scary enough, the WHO assume more power than the police and can co-ordinate police and military operations during said pandemic! It is the WHO in conjunction with drinks manufacturers that are poisoning us.!

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Phenylalanine is found naturally in the breast milk of mammals.

So they are trying to kill us from birth?
edit on 22/1/2011 by DGFenrir because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by DGFenrir

Phenylalanine is found naturally in the breast milk of mammals.

So they are trying to kill us from birth?
edit on 22/1/2011 by DGFenrir because: (no reason given)

It is breast milk it is pure and untreated so it is safest. When added to products whereas it is chemically placed into it becomes toxified and poisonous.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Wait so when is Phenylalanine in soft drinks an "opiate" and "antidepressant"? They have been putting that in diet drinks for a long long time friend.

Your knowledge of vitamins or amino acids in this case is inaccurate. First off amino acids are not even close to pharmacological potential and you got your Phenylalanine mixed up. There is a brand of Phenylalanine known as "DLPA" which includes the D form of Phenylalanine. That has been known for years to offer some pain relief and antidepressant properties. I have never heard of ordinary Phenylalanine to offer any pain relief. There is thoughts it may help with depression. BUT, one has to take it on an empty stomach an hour before meals so that it can cross the blood brain barrier or studies show its totally not effective. And then what happens is the brain can convert the Phenylalanine into norephinephrine an later dopamine. Thus raising your mood.

However with DLPA it doesnt matter so much when you take it as there is no synthetic D form in nature so it crosses the blood brain barrier naturally. Also it is believed that DLPA may raise levels of PEA in the brain and that explains its antidepressant effect. For pain DLPA inhibits the breakdown of a certain enzyme involved in breaking down the endorphins,the bodies natural pain killers. Hence when endorphins stack up the added pain relief follows There is no DLPA in soft drinks I hate to tell you.(the drug companies dont wanna dare give you a subtance that has been proven more effective than the tricyclics for depression).. I must say DLPA is some really good stuff and I rank it in my top 3 things you can buy in the health food store. After about a month on it its like herbal crank lol. And you walk around pumped up and crunk. Normal Phenylalanine should give no problems as its a natural amino acid found in both the body and in food. Aspartame however, I feel more negative about. The amount of Phenylalanine in soft drinks is a joke any way. There reasoning for putting it there is just a little more stimulant edge and hopefully the weight loss that will bring. (they hope). Before you spread soft drink disinformation you need to at least know about the things your talking about. Now Caffeine? There is your REAL conspiracy in soft drinks and some day I will write something about it. What is that they say around here "Deny Ignorance"?

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Deny Ignorance you said?

Than explain to me buddy, why these chemicals are not in my normal Pepsi?

Why are they in the diet one?

What dietary properties is this chemical known to have?

If you think there is any legit reason to put this in our drinks, than you need to state it clearly.

I am betting there is not a single decent reason for it being there.
If there was, why isn't it in every drink?

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Deny Ignorance you said?

Than explain to me buddy, why these chemicals are not in my normal Pepsi?

Why are they in the diet one?

What dietary properties is this chemical known to have?

If you think there is any legit reason to put this in our drinks, than you need to state it clearly.

I am betting there is not a single decent reason for it being there.
If there was, why isn't it in every drink?

Simple, they do not put those ingredients in the non diet offerings because whatever research leads them to believe those things help dieting. There is your legit reason. lol

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

Thanks, with a quick search here is this.

www.eatingdisordersadvisor.com...

Chocolate in itself has some amazing properties that can be good for one’s mood and health. Alkaloids are amino acids in chocolate that react with biological activity. Theobromine and phenylalanine are the two main alkaloids in chocolate that affect the body. In addition to Alkaloids chocolate also contains flavonoids. Flavonoids act as antioxidants in the body.The theobromine increases alertness, expands blood vessels , function as a diuretic as well as stimulates the heart.Flavonoids work as antioxidants in the bloodstream. Antioxidants assist fat from oxidizing and clogging the arteries, a very important factor in preventing the buildup of plaque that can lead to clogging of the arteries which is one of the major causes of heart attacks.The phenylalanine in chocolate is anticipated to increase the levels of mood related chemicals in the brain. The neurotransmitters in the brain affect our mood and sense of well-being. The primary neurotransmitters in phenylalanine are serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine. Most antidepressants work on these brain chemicals to facilitate the increase the levels of these brain chemicals. This may be one of the main reasons that people choose to eat chocolate when they feel anxious or depressed. This may be a way to attempt to get away from discomfort and feel better.Phenylalanine has also been associated with the feeling of falling in love. Phenylalanine speeds up the flow of chemical information between nerve cells, particularly serotonin, nor nor norepinephrine and dopamine. The dopamine is involved in the experience of pleasure whereas the norepinephrine is accountable for that energized and euphoric feeling that new lovers experience.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

I would like to point out that baby aspirin is also considered an analgesic. Comparing it to Vicodin, Percocet, etc. is misleading. By your logic, you could compare it to coc aine as well.

I think people go out of their way to inflate stories for drama and effect and it only diminishes the integrity of this website.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I can now add another reason to the list of why I don't drink pop.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Regarding the pic of the gum ingredients on pg.2 - I am shocked to see 'aspartame', 'sucralose' (splenda) and this phenylapakookoo crap in the list !?

Tell you what, just hook up an IV to battery acid when the gum runs out, it should feel the same.

I wonder how long it would take before ppl start freebasing jujubes or orange crush to get to some serious Sensory Input Distortion
without beating around the bush.

And yet certain things that nature provides are rendered restricted, prohibited, illegal that have unmistakeable health benefits.

Formaldehyde should be introduced into the body after expiry of life not before.......................hello operator ?.................are we reaching......................?

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
GOD i wish they would boost up the Opioids in all beverages! hehe

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join