It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you believe in UFOs, why not believe in God?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Believing in UFO's AND God is possible to me. I mean take the Bible for example it talks about angels... " people coming out of the sky". Most people couldnt even write in that time, it was a privilege if u could, and the first thing they decided to document were the " people coming out of the sky". Must be quite a sight....and what do we call " people coming out of the sky" nowdays?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Because believing in UFO's doesn't require you to live your life following a book and you don't have to go to huge places to pray to UFO's and repent to ET's for your sins.

Not to mention, the debunkings of God are higher than the debunkings of UFO's.
edit on 1 26 1111 by Cricious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by heineken
i would like you to imagine Alien life exists and the universe hosts billions of trillions of planets like ours..

how would you explain the Son of Gods visitation

I just don't see how you can't buy both. As a Christian, why couldn't God have created other races and species? Because they won't be "in his image"? Here's the problem: you can interpret "His image" however you please. For all you know, that passage could have meant they were created to be mentally like God---with consciousness and a soul. Or they look humanoid, just not human. "In His image" is highly open to interpretation.

The bottom of it is, the sheer vastness, the order in which things work, and the beauty of our Universe may almost scientifically DEMAND a creator. I fully believe that as a species we will always try to find out what "created" the Universe--like right now, the search for the Higgs Boson. But if they were to find the Higgs Boson, they've only provided the result of an action but cannot account for what created the action. And I highly doubt anyone (maybe in a few BILLION years) will ever be able to say with exact certainty why the Universe was created and what created it. And for all we know (there are some studies to back this up) we may be in one Universe surrounded by other Universes--and so on and so forth.

Look, you can believe that the creation of the Universe, the perfection used to create life, is all up to chance. But many can reasonably choose to believe that something did create it. I believe it is the version of the Christian God. The Bible doesn't preclude much of anything because it's been heavily edited and can be interpreted millions of ways. So it's tough to say "well the Bible says not aliens"--because it doesn't.

We can go back and forth all day, but honestly, the only place you will EVER find the true answer to it is within your heart--and you have to have faith in your belief system, if you believe in UFOs, God, Aliens, whatever. Do what makes YOU feel comfortable and makes the most sense to YOU because this whole "science vs. creation" thing is going to go on far past the time we're all dead.

And as a side note--why does science have to be against "creation"? Why wouldn't God want to leave us millions of beautiful things to learn and discover? Just because something has a chemical or atom or a biological process doesn't mean that it couldn't have been designed by a greater God.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
sorry. little fast on the trigger finger. double post.
edit on 1/26/11 by zcflint05 because: double post

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Why does god and UFOs/ET always end up coming into the subject? Why cant they be two totally separate things? For all we know, they have their own god that is wholly different than ours.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlienGrey
Why does god and UFOs/ET always end up coming into the subject? Why cant they be two totally separate things? For all we know, they have their own god that is wholly different than ours.

Because ppl want to believe that everything falls under their own belief system and that their God created Aliens and it is all explained by vague interpretations of already-vague bible text.

The truth is the bible makes it very hard for space-faring vast intelligence to fit into their God umbrella unless everything becomes "oh, creation was a metaphor though really, God didn't do it like that" (creation, Adam and Eve etc.)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
God does not belong to this corporeal world. So why can't He be seen as an alien to this corporeal world.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Belief in GOD is a matter of faith. I believe in GOD.
Belief in UFO's is also a matter of faith.I believe in UFO's.
Although I have never seen one I believe those who have.
It's all a matter of choice.
To quote Charles Hoy Fort, " IF THERE IS A UNIVERSAL CREATOR, MUST HE BE SANE"?

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
In reply to OP

It's a mathematical certainty that alien life, intelligent or not, has / currently / will exist. There is no tangible evidence that suggest god does / has / will. I'm not completely dismissing the idea, and SOMETHING had to bring order to chaos, it's just the text people hold to be evidence of TRUE FACTUAL events are extremely beyond even being remotely possible. No matter what religion you look at, there is no evidence to support this theory other than documents that was written during a time when your average person was discouraged from questioning them. This was also a time when religion ruled government (for example, kings was deemed to be of holy bloodline by the church). So, obviously it would be beneficial to change documents which only you have access and control over, to benefit your own political agenda.

Let's look at it just from a common sense point of view. How can someone, 200+ years later, possibly know what Jesus did on a day to day basis? Did Jesus have a twitter account? Jesus was a man, he was to experience all the emotions and feelings of a man, this would mean Jesus got angry, he cried, he laughed, most-likely masturbated and most likely had sex / even possibly got married. After all, this was his purpose of coming here. So to think that he wouldn't have done any of this would be ludacris.

We must also take into account, not only was gospels written centuries AFTER the person involved passed on, but the fact that not every single gospel made it into what is now the new testaments. Religion was highly locational, so let's just say in New York they had 5 gospels that they studied in church, in Florida they had 10 gospels, and completely different than the ones studied in New York. The bible was a method of unification, so that every region would study and hear the exact same message. This would mean some gospels was deemed unnecessary, maybe even too much information on that person. So someone / group of people had to decide what should stay and what should go.

The problem with this is once you start picking and choosing what should be in the overall story, the story's context can and will change. Also, why was they so special to say if THIS gospel was more important than THAT. Take into consideration that this was still, a time when religion ruled government. So being able to dictate and change / control the flow of information was TRUE power.

And I am only speaking about Catholicism, one of many religions, but the scenario remain the same. Religion was created by us to control the masses. While UFOs (not even in their original meaning, Unidentified Flying Objects, but as alien craft / devices), are a proven phenomena. Sure, it's easy to dismiss these nowadays, because theres alot of traffic in the skies and alot are easily misinterpreted by the untrained eye, but how do you dismiss all the reports throughout history, even by famous people, like Napoleon, Alexander the great, Christopher Columbus, even Ezekiel's account in the bible clearly describes a physical craft when he talks about the Chariot of Fire. How can you explain the commonality of these reports of flying silver shields in the sky, during a time when human flight wasn't even conceived, let alone possible.

UFOs are not a matter of opinion, they are indeed a real occurrence. Whether they are aliens from another solar system or just some physics of time / energy that we don't understand is up for debate. But UFOs are something that is without a doubt happening, while God not so much.

It's hard to say God is real when you see helpless kids dying from starvation, apparently God doesn't seem to care enough about us, because he has so much more important things to do with his infinite existence right?

So UFOs, easy to believe in, God, a bit harder.

(btw I'm agnostic, I believe that something binded all things (if you want to call it god), but I don't believe ANY religion has the story right, not at all, and apparently I'm not the only one, or else there would only be 1 religion & only 1 story, the truth)
edit on 9-2-2011 by DeboWilliams because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-2-2011 by DeboWilliams because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I haven't read any of the replies yet, but I thought I'd say that OP's question is probably one of the most bizarre non sequiturs I've ever seen on a forum.

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join