It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are a Womans Emotional Reactions Actually a Subconcious Product of Empathy?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Do women react emotionally OR are a woman's reactions actually a product of empathy? Does a woman react in an emotional way - laughter, sexiness, anger, not necessarily because that is how she feels, but because she intuitively senses the expression of emotion that is desired, and to the degree that she is empathetic, reacts accordingly? If that were to be the case, would her actions then be consciously driven or subconsciously driven and expressed in such a way that her reaction actually bypasses her conscious thought? Beyond her control?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by EssenSieMich

Why do you mention only women? What you are describing is a human behavior. It's manipulation, all humans do it. Women tend to do it emotionally as most of them do not have the power to do it physically or monetarily.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Emotion - a characteristic of every creation on this planet - even plants.

Empathy - a characteristic of some humans, dolphins, penguins and a lot of other creatures and plants that we are not even aware of.

No classification, no explanation.

Empathy is a precious thing, and if you have it you are lucky and unlucky. I have it, and it hurts.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
No.. we women are naturally cranky due to having to deal with men from the time we are born until the day we die.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Umm..Both? What do you mean? When I feel like being sexy, I become sexy. When I laugh, it's because I find something funny. When I am angry it's because someone pissed me off. What? Maybe because I'm half asleep I don't understand lol I'm not really an emotional person. I keep reserved and am pretty chill so I guess every woman is different...

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

I am going to have to disagree. I wouldn't be surprised if the psychopathic/sociopath brain turned out to be a case of "severe female brain"(like how aspergers and autism is a case of "severe male brain"). The only time most chicks use empathy is when it is for self benefit or benefit of another chick(most but not all, I think naturally empathic men and women are far and few in-between).

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by korathin

I am going to have to disagree. I wouldn't be surprised if the psychopathic/sociopath brain turned out to be a case of "severe female brain"(like how aspergers and autism is a case of "severe male brain"). The only time most chicks use empathy is when it is for self benefit or benefit of another chick(most but not all, I think naturally empathic men and women are far and few in-between).

Yikes.. bitter much?
If thats the only kind of women you attract, perhaps try assessing yourself or stop picking up chicks outside of methadone clinics...

edit on 19-1-2011 by Advantage because: I cant spell.. DUHHH

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Lets say for example that she is listening to somebody telling a joke. She smiles, and then she laughs. She smiles before the joke is finished in her anticipation and laughs when the joke is complete. Does she smile because the joke is funny? No, because the joke has not yet been told. Yet she will smile and then laugh. It is my suggestion that her degree of empathic ability would determine her degree of intuition and in this case cause her to both smile and laugh without conscious thought BECAUSE she intuitively felt that laughter was expected. In this case her actual reaction was determined at a subconscious level based on what she felt was expected. Her feelings determined her reaction without any higher processing of the actual information through her brain. In other words she had no conscious control of her reaction.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by EssenSieMich
Lets say for example that she is listening to somebody telling a joke. She smiles, and then she laughs. She smiles before the joke is finished in her anticipation and laughs when the joke is complete. Does she smile because the joke is funny? No, because the joke has not yet been told. Yet she will smile and then laugh. It is my suggestion that her degree of empathic ability would determine her degree of intuition and in this case cause her to both smile and laugh without conscious thought BECAUSE she intuitively felt that laughter was expected. In this case her actual reaction was determined at a subconscious level based on what she felt was expected. Her feelings determined her reaction without any higher processing of the actual information through her brain. In other words she had no conscious control of her reaction.

I think you are making being told a joke too complicated.

when i am being told a joke, I smile in anticipation of that joke. I'm thinking "oh great, a joke...let's see if this is funny" I'm amused at the notion of being told a joke in the first place. why does that have to be subconscious? knowing that you are being told a joke, i'm afraid that IS indeed actual information.

after being told the joke and if it isn't funny, some women will laugh anyway to be nice, some women will laugh anyway if they don't get it to not look stupid, some women will not. Why?

Everybody's different so try not to pigeon anyone.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Do women react emotionally OR are a woman's reactions actually a product of empathy? Does a woman react in an emotional way - laughter, sexiness, anger, not necessarily because that is how she feels, but because she intuitively senses the expression of emotion that is desired, and to the degree that she is empathetic, reacts accordingly? If that were to be the case, would her actions then be consciously driven or subconsciously driven and expressed in such a way that her reaction actually bypasses her conscious thought? Beyond her control?

It would depend upon the woman and any number of factors as to what constituted 'Beyond her Control'. Hormonally, a woman can be in some senses out of control, but part of development should be mastering self-control, including the hormonal fluctuation that we all go through. Women have the advantage in this respect in that we have, from the commencement of menstruation a possible measure of how those hormonal fluctuation affect our moods and general demeanour. Women, of normally gentle or balanced dispositions, have been known to suffer such extreme PMS that they have successfully used it as a defence in murder trials, but there is generally required a history of such behaviour and the older you get the thinner that excuse wears. With proper dietary management, mainly high starch intake prior to the onset of the hormone level rises, can completely alleviate violent behaviour in those women that experience this reaction.

In context to your OP, a woman may sometimes 'act' a little happier than she is, make a little more effort to laugh at things, or maybe put on a pair of high heels, to 'feel' sexy, just because it evens out the balance. It can be predictive or perhaps self-interpretative behaviour...you know what you need to do to get you through that particular day, so you do it... Some girls as they progress to women have more need to 'put their face on' than others and can become very adept at finding external balancing. Attention, particularly sexual, is one, short route of building esteem. Ideally though, a girl can be guided in understanding these ebbs and flows of emotion and utilising them to their best advantage. Different hormone levels do have personality changing effects, some positive and some negative. Personally, I can be a stampeding giant (figuratively) one day and mush of romantic nonsense the next. I kind of like it that way, and again personally, the greater my understanding of these internal swings and roundabouts, the better I am at being less judgemental and more understanding of the demons and therefore needs of others.

I don't know that empathy, consciously or unconsciously, could make a woman act 'sexily', or angry..etc...unless it was an act, therefore it would be conscious... I don't like generalisations, we vary too much from beast to beast...and almost all combinations have at one time occured, so what you postilate is possible, but I would figure uncommon and in the most part, where such 'fake' behaviour is exhibited in women, it is more to do with trying to find out where they fit in, and part of youth. Older than that and it is generally what they term 'working it' and it works for them, they are so good at being fake that even they think that they are real.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Sometimes, I am sure everyone has at one point done this, someone is telling a really long joke, it gets to just before the punchline, and you realise that you have heard it before. You smile as you remember the punchline. Then, you don't want to hurt the persons feelings, they have after all spent five minutes on the build up, hold the laugh,until they tell you the punchline that you are already laughing inwardly to. Always a tough one to get away with that.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Last time I checked when I was acting out empathy, is when i was feeling empathy.

exactly how it's supposed to be in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Do women react emotionally OR are a woman's reactions actually a product of empathy? Does a woman react in an emotional way - laughter, sexiness, anger, not necessarily because that is how she feels, but because she intuitively senses the expression of emotion that is desired, and to the degree that she is empathetic, reacts accordingly?

Could it be a woman does not sense any expression, as if an expression is some tangible thing given off by others which then go into a sense to be analyzed but rather women predict a reaction because her brain is tuned to this, memorizing all human reactions all throughout her life then when needed the brain simply recognizes and extrapolates a reaction based on recalling all these memorized reactions in a few micro seconds? Because suppose this were not the case, when a woman would be around 60 it would take her a long time to form a thought because she would need to remember certain things she learned when she was younger then tying those together into something that would make sense to her to the situation she is in. Which might not be that different for males.

If that were to be the case, would her actions then be consciously driven or subconsciously driven and expressed in such a way that her reaction actually bypasses her conscious thought? Beyond her control?

You are not looking for a way to seduce women I hope.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
No because your thread implies that only women are capable of empathy, this is not true.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
No i seriously doubt many females are empathic that much. I should know what they have done to me.

Empathy is something both sexes have, and not just a feminine trait. Glad i do not like females, but my life sure has proven what they are and what they are not.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown
No because your thread implies that only women are capable of empathy, this is not true.

Exactly, what are shamans?

No female has more empathy than an androgynous human, that is supposed to be the best state.

Do not even bother with empathy and females. If females where empathic, would they do what they do, no.

Being beastly does not make you empathic you know, that is something females do not know. They assume that females just because they have no penis gives them empathy, lol. Do not get me started on females and there lack of empathy, while society says they have it.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaosMagician

If you do not know what empathy is you do not know. Its something that you know, and feel.

I doubt many people feel empathy, and most certainly most females have no clue what it means either.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
My OP regards females because females have a greater tendency to be ruled by their emotions. There is also a greater tendency toward a 'hive mind' - acting in concert with other females based on a perceived consensus in conscious decisions, and a genetic consensus in subconscious actions such as synchronous menstruation.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
reply to post by ChaosMagician

If you do not know what empathy is you do not know. Its something that you know, and feel.

I doubt many people feel empathy, and most certainly most females have no clue what it means either.

Who said I didn't know what empathy was? I know what empathy is... stop making crap up.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

My OP regards females because females have a greater tendency to be ruled by their emotions.

To quibble, but, do you not think that it is more that it is perceived that women are controlled by their emotions because women are more inclined to openly express emotion. Men are just as inclined towards being controlled by their emotions but mitigation is generally given in addition or instead of the blanket generalisation that is applied to women because those emotions are expressed more physically, or 'stewed upon' perhaps.

There is also a greater tendency toward a 'hive mind' - acting in concert with other females based on a perceived consensus in conscious decisions, and a genetic consensus in subconscious actions such as synchronous menstruation.

Synchronous menstruation usually only occurs in populations of women living together, prisons, boarding schools, the such like, it is not that big a deal if you think about it, same diet, environment etc. Similarly, a see no greater predisposition towards 'hive' mentality between the sexes, such tendencies tend to be more related to personality type, which cross genders, and tend to dictate grouping behaviour.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join