It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supernova about to give Earth a second sun.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by backup

What is the go with your signature, if that is an attempt at humour which i dont think it is you are in need of some seriuos help! What is it with the youth of today? Pull your fn head in you pisshand!

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
That would be amazing to see, I really hope it happens, but I doubt it will.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Funny, this exact article was posted on another website 2 years ago.

scienceray.com...

Also, if this where to happen, wouldn't it take years and years and years for the light to reach the earth?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by JustLookingAround

Hi
I don't think it would affect global warming. Betelgeuse is about 600 light years away from our Solar System. A light year is approximately 6 trillion miles. I don't think any heat created by the supernova would reach us. I have no idea about particles and nutrinos and the like, but we get hammered by that every day from our Sun anyway.

Besides, when taking about astronomical time scale "just about" can mean millions of years, like geological time scale. The likelyhood of it happening in our lifetime is pretty small.

I really hope it does happen in my lifetime though. Have read that it could be as bright as a second moon (but unlikely). It will be the brightest supernova ever witnessed from Earth. It would be just f****** amazing..
edit on 19-1-2011 by doubleplusungood because: spelling

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by logicalguy

From the article:

- One day Betelgeuse will appear as a giant explosion in the sky, which may be 4 times the size of a full moon. - Most scientists believe the star is far enough away from Earth that the explosion blast and various particle rays emitted will not affect us drastically (if at all).

This article says it may appear 4 times the size of the moon, the other article said about the size of our Sun.

4 times the size of the full moon, that would be a spectacular sight!

The light from the event will take 640 years to reach us.

edit on 19/1/1111 by Krusty the Klown because: I needed to edit.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krusty the Klown

From the article:

- One day Betelgeuse will appear as a giant explosion in the sky, which may be 4 times the size of a full moon. - Most scientists believe the star is far enough away from Earth that the explosion blast and various particle rays emitted will not affect us drastically (if at all).

This article says it may appear 4 times the size of the moon, the other article said about the size of our Sun.

4 times the size of the full moon, that would be sight!

So if it takes 640 years to reach us, then it has to explode first. And we would know about that ahead of time. So it doesn't look like we'll see it.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by doubleplusungood

I agree, it would be amazing to see, I'd love to even see a comet visible during the day, like Halley's comet was in 1910.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

If we see it happen next week, it will have happened 640 years ago and the light is just reaching us now.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Okay...I know this may be dangerously close to "whoo-whoo" rantings but this part really caught my eye...

“When a star goes bang, the first we will observe of it is a rain of tiny particles called nuetrinos,” says Dr Carter.
They will flood through the Earth and bizarrely enough, even though the supernova we see visually will light up the night sky, 99 per cent of the energy in the supernova is released in these particles that will come through our bodies and through the Earth with absolutely no harm whatsoever.”

What if the neutrinos (I noticed it was spelled wrong in the original article) trigger something in us?
Kinda like the eclipse on "Heroes".

I mean the entire human race getting an evolutionary jump-start would constitute a big event right?
I know this probably has no basis whatsoever in reality, but that's what I get for watching sci fi and reading comics since I was a kid...LOL

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

You are right.
Betelgeuse could have gone supernova yesterday but we wouldn't know as it would take the light 640 years to reach us.

However Betelgeuse could have gone supernova 639 years ago, which we wouldn't know until the light reached us, which would be this year sometime. This is what they mean when they say Betelgeuse is about to go supernova. They mean that we as observers would see it go supernova.

Whenever an event is witnessed in space you are essentially looking back in time. As light takes time to travel from where it originated to where it is seen by us. The further the distance the light has to travel the further back in time you are seeing.
edit on 19-1-2011 by doubleplusungood because: spelling and grammer

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
anyone else thinking men in black?

its in orions belt?

any movies come to mind?

or video games?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by logicalguy

Originally posted by Krusty the Klown

From the article:

4 times the size of the full moon, that would be sight!

So if it takes 640 years to reach us, then it has to explode first. And we would know about that ahead of time. So it doesn't look like we'll see it.

Sigh. Hopefully I'll be reincarnated in time to see it

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Sabreblade

We really don't need to evolve anymore.. We're at our pinnacle now. The only real evolution we do need is mental!!

We all need to grow up and act like adults should!! That goes mostly for wold leaders and corporate tyrants.

Of course, if we were to evolve, I hope its in the way that sees everyone else on the planet grow a new, larger set of balls, that we can use to bring the leaders into line..

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
Its very cool but has also been talked about a few times because like you said, it could happen today or many many more years in the future.

First this is not cool. Do you not know about gamma rays?

Second that star is so far away that if or when we see the flash the actual explosion will have occured many many years prior.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Krusty the Klown

Could the supernova be a cover up.. Nibiru maybe?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jon conner
reply to post by Krusty the Klown

Could the supernova be a cover up.. Nibiru maybe?

I've never looked into Nibiru so I couldn't tell you, although I have seen it mentioned a few times in this thread.

But if the star doesn't go supernova for another 1000 years then that would rule out this idea.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jon conner

We have all seen the russian videos with the supposed second sun. How can one predict this event down to a couple of weeks scale.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
we're all going to turn into Incredible Hulks when the earth is bombarded with gamma radiation !

edit on 1/19/2011 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
[yvid]

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jon conner

video 1
[yvid]

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join