It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey... just a quick question!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Hi, I hope I'm posting in the correct place, if not, can a Mod please move this? Thanks.

I am wanting to buy a pair of binoculars for star gazing, and seeing planes up close etc.
What kind of magnification should I get? I have absolutely no idea at all, and would appreciate some direction, as I am very new to this.

Any help is appreciated!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
no clue but if you do find the rite ones i hope you can get a good look at those chemtrailing planes and let us know what you find!
goodluck

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Thanks Matrix!
I want to see those planes up close, driving me mad that I can't!

I also just want to do some sky watching in general... never know what one might see!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildeagle

Hi Wildeagle,

There is a huge range of binoculars you could get, how much do you want to spend is the question?

For around £100 you can get a fairly good pair of 12x magnification.

The problem I've found with binoculars, especially when stargazing is wobble, I've had to lean the binoculars against something solid like a wall or fence to try and keep the image still.

I'd say a telescope might be a better idea, better for stars, but not as good for planes.

Decisions.... decisions......

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I'd say a telescope too for stargazing and plane watching. I have an old one I love for that. Don't know much about them but saw some that were compact and looked pretty cool with the prices slashed last week at a hobby shop around here. Someone at a hobby shop might even know something about them. Let us know!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Thankyou for the replies!
I wasn't sure about telescopes, because of being such a novice, but it does make sense that it would probably be better.

My range would probably be around €100 for now anyway, I could upgrade once I get the feel for it.
I guess my main thing, is I don't know what magnification to get. I am so excited though to get started!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Well we need to know how much you can afford to spend on them I think before anyone could really suggest something.

If you dont want to spend much then you will get more for your money buying good binoculars rather then a cheap telescope

edit

I see you answered my question before I asked it, you clever psychic person

edit on 18-1-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

hehe! I really *must* be psychic!

Well, I say €100, but should I just spend as little as possible until I get a feel for it, because I probably would upgrade eventually anyway... hmmm...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I cant really give you advice on exact models but I would suggest looking on ebay for some used ones as you will get much more for your money.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Ebay! Excellent idea! I'm still not clear on exactly what magnification is best though. :/

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   

You're just gonna be all bent out of shape, when you find out you can't take pictures with binoculars.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Oh seriously! I know!

I considered this... I mean, what If I spotted something uber cool, and couldn't snap it! How frustrating that would be! :O
Is there such thing as a camera/telescope all in one?!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Actually I don't know if they still carry them, but I used to manage for a company called Northern Tool and Equipment and they stocked a pair of decent binoculars with a built in 35mm camera.

They were pretty awesome and not expensive.

~Heff

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Ok I flagged you. Had to wait and see how you took my little joke.
For sure you can get binos that take pictures .

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
If you already have a camera, you can sometimes get a telescope attachment for it. A friend of mine has one and it's awesome. Again I don't know much about it but i might be something to look for if you do get a telescope and want this function or option.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I just checked them out, and it seems they don't stock them anymore, but it's good to know that they are around.
I think I may try hunt down a pair with a built in cam... just incase! *wishful thinking*

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

lol! Well, thanks for the info,and flag, I had no idea they were available!

Thanks to all who replied, I now know more than I did... let the search commence!

edit on 18-1-2011 by Wildeagle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Well Ive had a look around for you and from what I can see the bins that most people use for star gazing ar 15 x 70 models

link

There are some good looking ones on ebay from a company called strathspey that seem to have a good reputation

Edit here is a link to the bins link they seem to be cheaper in their shop then on ebay

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Aw thankyou! That was very kind of you to help on my search! Much appreciated.

I'll take a look, and hopefully find something! Thankyou

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   

I was having a look around and found these binoculars with a 21x optical zoom for £110 with built in digital camera, it appears to come with a small tripod and it has a built in mp3 player!!

>>>> LINK

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join