It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Swiss banker gives WikiLeaks files on rich

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Former Swiss banker gives WikiLeaks files on rich

www.ctv.ca

LONDON — A former Swiss banker on Monday supplied documents to WikiLeaks that he alleges detail attempts by wealthy business leaders and lawmakers to evade tax payments.

Rudolf Elmer, an ex-employee of Swiss-based Bank Julius Baer, said there were 2,000 account holders named in the documents, but refused to give details of the companies or individuals involved.

However, Assange said that with WikiLeaks focussed on other issues -- such as the publication of its cache of about 250,000 diplomatic cables, it could be several weeks before Elmer's latest files are reviewed and posted on the
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.dw-world.de
www.nytimes.com
www.bbc.co.uk
abcnews.go.com

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Now THIS is very interesting. Supposedly the information on the discs that were handed over by the ex-banker has information regarding the offshore accounts of celebrities and officials. Can anyone say tax-evasion?

If Assange's life wasn't in danger before it most certainly is now! Also this is not limited to the scope of the U.S. it includes American, Europe, and Asia.

I truly hope this not some type of power grab by Assange to perhaps enter into the upper echelons of power but rather genuine openess with no real gain but the TRUTH. No doubt this will again stir the debate of whether or not Assange is sincere. It will definitely be interesting to see how this develops!

www.ctv.ca
edit on 17-1-2011 by AeonStorm because: SP

edit on 17-1-2011 by AeonStorm because: Structure

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
The names will be redacted

Totally pointless exercise IMO

Really REALLY R E A L L Y Annoying

edit on 17-1-2011 by Ellen15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ellen15
The names will be redacted

Totally pointless exercise IMO

Really REALLY R E A L L Y Annoying

edit on 17-1-2011 by Ellen15 because: (no reason given)

I agree. With the names redacted, I'm not sure how valuable it is.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by AeonStorm

Finally, it's time to bust some balls! I can't wait for some of these "highly respected" wealthy elite to get exposed for what they really are.

Far too many people seem to automatically assume that ultra wealthy people must be "good people," just because they have managed to acquire such wealth. In reality, I believe that just the opposite is true. I truly believe that it would be more accurate to assume that the majority of ultra wealthy people are corrupt.

My question is; Who will the masses idolize when the truth is known, or will they simply vilify the messenger and deny the truth?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by AeonStorm
Now THIS is very interesting. Supposedly the information on the discs that were handed over by the ex-banker has information regarding the offshore accounts of celebrities and officials. Can anyone say tax-evasion?

If Assange's life wasn't in danger before it most certainly is now! Also this is not limited to the scope of the U.S. it includes American, Europe, and Asia.

I truly hope this not some type of power grab by Assange to perhaps enter into the upper echelons of power but rather genuine openess with no real gain but the TRUTH. No doubt this will again stir the debate of whether or not Assange is sincere. It will definitely be interesting to see how this develops!

www.ctv.ca
edit on 17-1-2011 by AeonStorm because: SP

edit on 17-1-2011 by AeonStorm because: Structure

Perhaps the redaction of the names gives him a bit more leverage for defending himself, like the insurance file.
Disappointing though it is to have the names witheld, I guess that's one advantage for Assange.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

I agree with you, to be successful in their world newcomers have to learn to play by their rotten, stinking, corrupt rules.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by AeonStorm

I agree with you, but there's a hidden premise in your statement that the leaks of information IS somehow Assange himself. I think that it's grown beyond that, and what WikiLeaks has really shown us is that there are a lot of people out there that WANT terribly to get certain information, to which they are privy, out to the masses.

When you think about it, WikiLeaks itself is not really an intelligence gathering organization, but rather a repository and distrubitor of information collected by various agents and sources throughout the world. At this point, I think the genie is out of the bottle. If they killed Assange and closed up WikiLeaks, something would rise in it's place...the information is coming, and the associated catharsis that has already been experienced will not now be stopped.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
i give it a week and everything is forgotten.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Already posted:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Back Ground Info

(NB: this wont be new to hard core Wikileak followers of these last few years)

Rudolf Elmer, founder of Swiss Whistleblower will appear in court on January 19. He was fired from Swiss bank Julius Bär in 2002, after which he sent documents to several media outlets and Wikileaks, exposing allegedly illegal activities by Julius Bär clients in the Cayman Islands. Wikileaks was briefly shut down by a US court following publication of these documents.

Unlike most whistleblowers, Elmer's identity was never a secret.

Elmer Says...
I wasn’t looking for anonymity. I signed the first whistle-blower letter to emphasise the credibility but also to show my civil disobedience. It is my conviction that my name is important. People then got in touch with me and I received additional information from other bank clients and further data.

The Associated Press has an article about the case, but apparently because of the unwillingness of the mainstream press to use the word 'whistleblower' in association with Wikileaks, the article either awkwardly refers to Elmer as the "Swiss banker who used WikiLeaks" or confusingly calls him a "Wikileaks informant".

Elmer said he will admit certain counts of coercion, but insisted he didn't break Swiss banking secrecy laws because the files he distributed belonged to a Julius Baer subsidiary in the Cayman Islands, where he worked for the bank for eight years.

"This data wasn't subject to Swiss banking secrecy," he told The Associated Press in a telephone interview Monday.

Jan Vonder Muehll, a spokesman for Julius Baer, confirmed Monday that the bank is one of the plaintiffs in the case against Elmer next week before the Zurich court. But he said the trial would focus on the earlier release of data to Swiss media, not their publication on WikiLeaks.

Source: wlcentral.org...

AP Article:

GENEVA (AP) - A Swiss banker whose actions caused a U.S. judge to briefly shut down WikiLeaks three years ago faces trial for allegedly distributing confidential documents showing how his former employer helped rich clients to dodge taxes.

The case appears to be the first time a WikiLeaks informant will go on trial. It comes as the U.S. government also is trying to prosecute individuals linked to the website for publishing secret military and diplomatic files.

Rudolf Elmer, a former employee of Swiss-based Bank Julius Baer, has been ordered to appear before a Zurich regional court Jan. 19 to answer charges of coercion and violating Switzerland's strict banking secrecy laws. If convicted he could be sentenced to up to three years in prison and a fine.

Elmer said he will admit certain counts of coercion, but insisted he didn't break Swiss banking secrecy laws because the files he distributed belonged to a Julius Baer subsidiary in the Cayman Islands, where he worked for the bank for eight years.

"This data wasn't subject to Swiss banking secrecy," he told The Associated Press in a telephone interview Monday.

Swiss financial newspaper Cash was among those that in 2005 received a copy of a CD containing 170 megabytes of data on Julius Baer's Cayman operations. The files reportedly showed the bank helped its clients set up secret offshore accounts to avoid paying taxes.

Elmer denied giving the files to Cash, but said he did distribute the CD to several media outlets and tax authorities. He later uploaded some of the same information to WikiLeaks, prompting a U.S. judge to shut down the website after Julius Baer claimed Elmer had engaged in "unlawful dissemination of stolen bank records and personal account information of its customers."

The bank quietly dropped its U.S. lawsuit when the suspension order was lifted two weeks later following complaints from free speech groups and media organizations, including The Associated Press.

Jan Vonder Muehll, a spokesman for Julius Baer, confirmed Monday that the bank is one of the plaintiffs in the case against Elmer next week before the Zurich court. But he said the trial would focus on the earlier release of data to Swiss media, not their publication on WikiLeaks.

The 2008 shutdown saw a surge in support for WikiLeaks, which until then had been virtually unknown to a wider public. The site has managed to stay online almost continuously since, despite growing pressure on its Internet service providers following the recent publication of thousands of leaked U.S. war records and diplomatic cables.

U.S. authorities are currently trying to build a legal case against WikiLeaks and some of its collaborators, claiming the release of the files puts lives at risk

Linkm.apnews.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

That Thread was posted a few minutes after the OP started THIS thread

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flatfish

Finally, it's time to bust some balls! I can't wait for some of these "highly respected" wealthy elite to get exposed for what they really are.

Far too many people seem to automatically assume that ultra wealthy people must be "good people," just because they have managed to acquire such wealth. In reality, I believe that just the opposite is true. I truly believe that it would be more accurate to assume that the majority of ultra wealthy people are corrupt.

My question is; Who will the masses idolize when the truth is known, or will they simply vilify the messenger and deny the truth?

I have to say that I quite agree you that ultra wealthy people are corrupt . I mean there MAY be the rare one that isn't but in a dog it dog world you know that those addicted to money are going to break the rules for sure.

As for others saying the name will be redacted, I guess without the names of the guilty there really is no news because we all know about offshore banking. If this is the case then at the very least I would like to see the numbers being kept overseas. I'm gonna guess trillions.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
You can watch the press conference here: www.ustream.tv...

Not sure how long this link will be available

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

It seems these "leaks" are being used to get rid of some folks that the big boys don't want around in their little club anymore. Does anybody really believe some child molestor running around in europe is doing all this without being stopped by somebody?? Would the US let wiki release all that classified info? They wanted it realeased for one reason or other. Same with these bank records. Battle amongst the elite brewing.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
yep him and this banker are walking dead men the swiss banks can not sit by idlely while there secrets are exposed it would ruin them. so they will have to recover said documents and erase anybody who might have looked at them.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Watch the press conference here: www.ustream.tv...

Inform yourselves lol

Not sure how long this link will be available

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I am reminded of that Italian banker who looked after the Vatican's money for them, found hanged under a London Thames bridge, with bricks in his jacket pockets! I wonder what he new?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Please use this ongoing thread thank you

Wikileaks to be given data on Swiss bank accounts

Thread closed
Sauron

new topics

top topics

active topics

join